No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,247
    TripAces wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Would SP had been a better Bond film, if Nolan directed it? Of course! Not that he was going to do the Brother thing, but I dare say if he did it, we would have bought it. Plus I don't know how many directors pay intense attention to their film score like Nolan.

It would be interesting if Nolan could have saved that script. The "brother" issue was not the main problem with the film; it was the entire third act.

Nolan likely would have brought in Zimmer to score SP. I have to say, after hearing his score for WW84, I am not as excited about Zimmer/Bond as many others. I was quite pleased with Newman's effort on SP. It wasn't nearly as good as SF, but it still produced some excellent tracks. In many ways, Newman's score has become one of the best parts of SP...the opening, Lucia's theme, Madeleine's theme, and the L'Americain theme worked well. And the instrumental arrangement of "Writing's on the Wall," which transitioned into Bond and Madeleine being left in the desert (a great moment) worked well, too. So it's difficult for me to see the film without hearing Newman's textures. He's a punching bag on these boards (not sure why) but I liked a lot of his work on SP.

Isn't there a separate thread for who should/could direct a Bond film?

Yeah. I agree. SP's third act is another huge problem of the film. Almost like they improvised it. Something Nolan would have directed in his sleep. And I also agree that Newman's SP have some good tracks. I think it's a very polarizing score. But the thing is, too many tracks from SF can be heard in SP, and that sort of hides the new beautiful themes Newman created for SP.

In QoS, Vesper's theme returns and is used meaningfully and doesn't come up often. Just imagine if Arnold had brought back too many themes from CR to QoS, then QoS' score wouldn't have had the magnificent status it has today.

I just got Zimmer's WW84 score and I think it's good, but not an Inception score. But I really do think Ludwig Goransson's Tenet and Hans Zimmer's NTTD score might be one of the best recent film scores. Safin's theme alone might be a belter, not to mention what him and Marr would do with the Bond theme and sound. Zimmer knows he's scoring Bond and not another character.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Would SP had been a better Bond film, if Nolan directed it? Of course! Not that he was going to do the Brother thing, but I dare say if he did it, we would have bought it. Plus I don't know how many directors pay intense attention to their film score like Nolan.

It would be interesting if Nolan could have saved that script. The "brother" issue was not the main problem with the film; it was the entire third act.

Nolan likely would have brought in Zimmer to score SP. I have to say, after hearing his score for WW84, I am not as excited about Zimmer/Bond as many others. I was quite pleased with Newman's effort on SP. It wasn't nearly as good as SF, but it still produced some excellent tracks. In many ways, Newman's score has become one of the best parts of SP...the opening, Lucia's theme, Madeleine's theme, and the L'Americain theme worked well. And the instrumental arrangement of "Writing's on the Wall," which transitioned into Bond and Madeleine being left in the desert (a great moment) worked well, too. So it's difficult for me to see the film without hearing Newman's textures. He's a punching bag on these boards (not sure why) but I liked a lot of his work on SP.

Yeah. I agree. SP's third act is another huge problem of the film. Almost like they improvised it. Something Nolan would have directed in his sleep. And I also agree that Newman's SP have some good tracks. I think it's a very polarizing score. But the thing is, too many tracks from SF can be heard in SP, and that sort of hides the new beautiful themes Newman created for SP.

In QoS, Vesper's theme returns and is used meaningfully and doesn't come up often. Just imagine if Arnold had brought back too many themes from CR to QoS, then QoS' score wouldn't have had the magnificent status it has today.

I just got Zimmer's WW84 score and I think it's good, but not an Inception score. But I really do think Ludwig Goransson's Tenet and Hans Zimmer's NTTD score might be one of the best recent film scores. Safin's theme alone might be a belter, not to mention what him and Marr would do with the Bond theme and sound. Zimmer knows he's scoring Bond and not another character.

I'm looking forward to hearing the rejuvenated Bond theme. I like Goransson's work a lot and I had him as a dark horse to replace Romer.

I'm looking forward to hearing the rejuvenated Bond theme. I like Goransson's work a lot and I had him as a dark horse to replace Romer.

Sure. I'm looking forward to that as well. Yeah, and Goransson is awesome.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,948
    Mallory wrote: »
    @TripAces Not to derail the thread even further, but I agree wholeheartedly with your comments r.e. Newman. Yes it is a bit jarring and somewhat disappointing when the SF action cues reappear in SP (the character themes I understand) but that was a Mendes / Lee Smith decision, not Newman’s.

Also, how many sequels have similar soundscapes to the originals? Bourne films, Spider-Man films.. you name it. Just because it's not something Bond has done before (although of course Barry was very much scoring them in the same style as each other: he just preferred to add more new melodies) it doesn't make it an invalid technique. I still don't mind it.

Yes I think Goransson is rather terrific, although I think he won the Oscar for the wrong score- I find Black Panther a bit dull.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 3,164
    That's a rating for the September trailer, not the film itself. New BBFC website being weird..
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited December 2020 Posts: 3,018
    EON's account, I think, posted this on the Insta-page #PinewoodStudios

"I’m way too serious & smart to be an actress..”

#Wonderwoman herself, @gal_gadot recalls the moment that #Bond producers originally approached her to star as the lead #BondGirl alongside #DanielCraig in #QuantumOfSolace. The opportunity came after the Israeli beauty won #MissIsrael (2004), with a casting director asking her to audition for the role of #CamilleMontes.

"I said, 'No way,'" Gadot recalled, "I said, 'I'm studying law and international relations - besides, the script is all in English.' I spoke English, but I wasn’t comfortable with it."

Gadot was finally convinced to try out for the part, but she was competing against 400 others for the role. Eventually, Ukranian actress @olgakurylenkoofficial secured the part after principal photography had already started on the film.

//

Wrong thread I know but regarding Gadot. Adding this from Deadline:

In an eight-figure deal that puts her at the upper levels of the actress salary scale, Gal Gadot has been set to star in Heart of Stone, an original international spy thriller hatched by Skydance Media that endeavors to put a female spin on action franchises like Mission: Impossible and 007. Tom Harper, who helmed The Aeronauts and Wild Rose, is in talks to direct.

The script is by Greg Rucka (The Old Guard) and Allison Schroeder, latter of whom was Oscar nominated for Hidden Figures. The film will be produced by Skydance Media’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger, along with Gadot and her Pilot Wave producing partner Jaron Varsano, Bonnie Curtis and Julie Lynn. Skydance Media is keeping options open on whether this will be a theatrical or streaming bow.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/gal-gadot-heart-of-stone-female-007-skydance-media-spy-franchise-1234636427/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That’s interesting, I didn’t know that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So she ended up in NTTD instead?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 9,770
    Gal Gadot needs to be a bond girl at a future point

Also i am going to be hopefuly about the movie coming in april 2021

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited December 2020 Posts: 524
    Contraband wrote: »

Just so you know, but EON Productions does not have any official social media pages. All official Bond news gets posted on the @007 accounts, other productions often have their own pages. Personal news, and a selection of other production news does get posted on their official website, eon.co.uk, but there's no real strategy in which news gets posted and which doesn't. For example, the news of postponing NTTD to November 2020 was posted, but the one to April 2021 wasn't.

Anyway, Gal Gadot could have made a wonderful Bond girl, but that ship has sailed I think.

Just so you know, but EON Productions does not have any official social media pages. All official Bond news gets posted on the @007 accounts, other productions often have their own pages. Personal news, and a selection of other production news does get posted on their official website, eon.co.uk, but there's no real strategy in which news gets posted and which doesn't. For example, the news of postponing NTTD to November 2020 was posted, but the one to April 2021 wasn't.

Anyway, Gal Gadot could have made a wonderful Bond girl, but that ship has sailed I think.

Ok, good to know. Although anything related to Bond news and often 'exclusive' stuff are posted from that account, from Pinewood Studios lot, and only tagging with Pinewood Studios on Insta. So it must be someone inside EON's office or someone close working at Pinewood
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,630

Ok, good to know. Although anything related to Bond news and often 'exclusive' stuff are posted from that account, from Pinewood Studios lot, and only tagging with Pinewood Studios on Insta. So it must be someone inside EON's office or someone close working at Pinewood

I'm pretty certain that account is just a (popular) fanmade page.

EDIT: The account’s bio says it’s run by 2 Bond fans.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

#Wonderwoman herself, @gal_gadot recalls the moment that #Bond producers originally approached her to star as the lead #BondGirl alongside #DanielCraig in #QuantumOfSolace. The opportunity came after the Israeli beauty won #MissIsrael (2004), with a casting director asking her to audition for the role of #CamilleMontes.

"I said, 'No way,'" Gadot recalled, "I said, 'I'm studying law and international relations - besides, the script is all in English.' I spoke English, but I wasn’t comfortable with it."

Gadot was finally convinced to try out for the part, but she was competing against 400 others for the role. Eventually, Ukranian actress @olgakurylenkoofficial secured the part after principal photography had already started on the film.
    ##

It's a pull quote from Gal's interview April 2017 interview with W Magazine.

Red_Snow wrote: »

##

It's a pull quote from Gal's interview April 2017 interview with W Magazine.

Gaaaahhh... Thanks Red.

Although it's always geo-tagged with Pinewood Studios? But, never mind. Not important..
    You can geo-tag anywhere you wish on Instagram, can't you?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So if they stick with the April release date (which I’m still highly doubting) wouldn’t marketing begin ramping up again at the beginning of January?

It’s typically 90 days ahead of release isn’t it?
    Do we have any photo with Craig riding the Triumph bike in Matera? Not the stunt racing double Paul Edmondson with CGI-face.

• Not even a new photo from EON for Christmas, meh...

Looks like their social media activities are fr

Gadot, with her military experience, could've been a good fit as Camille although on the very young side at age 23. And EON has done wonders with non-English speaking actors anyway over the years. Still, never too late for her to star in a Bond film!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

Although it's always geo-tagged with Pinewood Studios? But, never mind. Not important..

You can geo-tag any location you want on Instagram. Hell, I can geo-tag Pinewood onto my photos if I wanted to.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    So if they stick with the April release date (which I’m still highly doubting) wouldn’t marketing begin ramping up again at the beginning of January?

It’s typically 90 days ahead of release isn’t it?

Yeah. It's a dreamy prospect. That's how it should be in an ideal world. But in shaky times like this, nothing is written in stone. But it's still good to be excited...albeit, with caution.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Deleted
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    CNN Style posted this during the night. Do not know why..

Filmed in Switzerland's Urseren Valley, the famous Alpine scene in 1964's "Goldfinger" set a new benchmark for the 007 movie franchise.

Yes, See the Connery thread for details.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,526
    CNN Style posted this during the night. Do not know why..

Filmed in Switzerland's Urseren Valley, the famous Alpine scene in 1964's "Goldfinger" set a new benchmark for the 007 movie franchise.

What does this have to do with the production of No Time To Die?

I only ask because you've been so "Onatopp" of other members for posting off-topic. ;)

EDIT: I do see a bit of oft-seen NTTD footage in there I suppose.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2020 Posts: 8,086
    All we hear about from the media here in the UK is how things are getting worse on a daily basis. Doesn't seem like we are ready to roll out the red carpet in 3 months for a production the side of Bond. Wonder-woman will do well to top 300 million at the boxoffice, Bond needs to make at least TWICE as much just to cover costs*. If Bond 25 truly is the movie that "changes everything" as marketing infers, surely they want people to see it the way was intended? Seems like in 90 days many screens will still be off limits and seating regulations still in place. The vaccine does NOT take instant effect, and many will still be vulnerable. If Bubby is content with sub 400 million take for Bond 25, then April is as good a time as any to launch. But forms the looks of it, that won't be enough for all the marketing and production that went into this, and it could be problematic for the future as there are already rumblings of MGM selling, and possibly another long wait ahead post B25.

*remember that Wonder-woman also has a much younger demographic of gen Y/Zer's, opposed to Bond who mostly grew up before the millennium.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it’s not looking good.
  • My guess is we'll get one final delay, to November 2021. By then, we can hope (at least in theory) that enough people will have been vaccinated that going to the movies might not seem to be the life-and-death event it feels like now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agreed.