No Time to Die production thread

Comments

The most popular overall ? Or these days ? The recent Bond films have been extremely successful, financially, so, even though MI films have been very successful financially, it seems Bond films have been more popular recently ? As for over a longer period of time, Bond films would seem to win out by virtue of longevity, if nothing else. I give credit to the folks who have been involved with the two Kingsmen films -- very entertaining and funny -- and the MI films. I found the second one a letdown, duller than the first and those which came after it, but -- and especially lately -- they've gotten better and better. Still - the Bond films still bring it all. Some of use carp about the tone, the amount of humor, the "twists" ("Brofeld"), and more, but we are big ol' fans and tend to gripe over things which seem not to bother broader audiences, and even among us there are disagreements as to whether some particular thing was worthy, or not. Again -- among broader audiences, Bond seems to keep the top spot. This was not always so, but the Bond films have ridden high lately.
    delfloria wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think i prefer Bond over TMFU.

A lot of people do, especially on a Bond website.

Let's take a poll; of MI6Community members, which is the most popular espionage film franchise? ;)

Unless it ends up like Brexit where we take a vote to prove a point, and f***ing Mission Impossible or something wins.

Good idea but i don't think this is the thread for it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I was joking
    Doh ! (palm slapping forehead) Curses ! Foiled again !
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Yum
    EpiamwQXcAQcbkn?format=jpg&name=large
    EpiaovhXcAUPggD?format=jpg&name=medium
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    April is slowly getting closer and I'm just imagining how we'll cautiously keep our excitement in check, if EON resumes marketing in the next couple of months.
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    April is slowly getting closer and I'm just imagining how we'll cautiously keep our excitement in check, if EON resumes marketing in the next couple of months.
    I’ve been wondering that myself. I’m not going to let myself get excited until probably a week or two before release.
    I’ve been wondering that myself. I’m not going to let myself get excited until probably a week or two before release.

Yeah. That's the wise thing to do. To keep the mind healthy.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I'm going to keep an eye on New York and L.A. Right now, both cities are in shutdown, as we (the U.S.) have utterly failed to deal with this virus. Vaccines are being administered. I will be interested to see how the this rolls out. I am cautiously optimistic that with key sectors of the country vaccinated, we'll see some loosening of restrictions.

giphy.gif
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,969
    They probably won't release in April because, as the media reported, demographically Bond has an older skewing audience, so even if Cinemas are officially open again - at capacity - people in the over 50 category will still refuse to go.

I guess when you only make non stop references to 50 year old movies, it tends to attract the people who grew up with the source (i imagine many younger viewers are left nonplussed by some of the "wink" moments in the last few entries).

I think November could be the starting point for people beginning to feel safe again in groups around others. But that does not spell good news for EON as it costs them millions just to withhold the movie for months on end (even though it's technically finished).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    They probably won't release in April because, as the media reported, demographically Bond has an older skewing audience, so even if Cinemas are officially open again - at capacity - people in the over 50 category will still refuse to go.

I guess when you only make non stop references to 50 year old movies, it tends to attract the people who grew up with the source (i imagine many younger viewers are left nonplussed by some of the "wink" moments in the last few entries).

I think November could be the starting point for people beginning to feel safe again in groups around others. But that does not spell good news for EON as it costs them millions just to withhold the movie for months on end (even though it's technically finished).
    Older people are getting vaccinated first.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    jake24 wrote: »

So you're first in line then?

:)) :))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    jake24 wrote: »

Except some sources claim vaccination does not "prevent" transmission...

And even so, 3 months is still not long, but perhaps you're correct...

They have to learn, that theatres are the least risky places concerning corona.
    I know: there are people who think "Many people in a room without windows = bad" - but that's not the case. Those rooms are the best ventilated there are.
    Interview with Malek in dutch magazine JFK For Men, out now.

edited December 2020 Posts: 3,018
    This is damn cool. NTTD's co-editor Tom Cross posted:

tomcross_ace
    Grateful for this beautiful crew gift.15-perf 70mm film frames from No Time To Die, the first Bond movie to feature sequences shot in IMAX. I hope everyone gets to see it on the big screen when it’s safe to do so.

Tom's daughter

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Rami Malek is a fantastic actor.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited December 2020 Posts: 524
    I've just spent my time trying to translate that Rami Malek article @Contraband just posted about, some interesting observations, including the fact that Malek took inspiration from Javier Bardem in Skyfall and No Country For Old Men when preparing for Safin.

Entire text in the spoiler tags:

This is a bit less glamorous. To call Oscar winner Rami Malek from your own study. Though you won’t hear us complain, we can’t imagine a conversational partner that’s less interesting. But it had been more than half a year ago when we talked to Daniel Craig, at the Crosby Street Hotel in New York.

Malek also sometimes longs back to New York: "I’m now in London with people that are close to me and that’s worth everything to me, but some time in New York would be fantastic. But hey, it is what it is in these bizarre times. If only you keep being healthy, how cliché that might sound."

Rami Malek (39) now has roles to pick from, but his career started quietly with small roles in series like Gilmore Girls, The Pacific and the Ben Stiller vehicle Night At The Museum. He began to make a name for himself with Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master and the drama Short Term 12.
    His break through truly followed with the tv series Mr Robot, in which he played hacker Elliot Alderson, and of course his Oscar winning performance as Freddy Mercury in the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. At the beginning of next year, we’ll also see him with Denzel Washington in the thriller The Little Things, but first as Bond arch enemy in No Time To Die.
    Like all Bond movies, No Time To Die is of course delightfully secretive. What’s clear is that Bond (Daniel Craig) has left the life of secret agent behind him, until his old friend and CIA agent Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) needs his help because of a kidnapped scientist. This is not a straight forward mission of course, and one that takes him onto the trail of the mysterious Safin (Rami Malek), armed with dangerous new technology.
    Besides Craig and Malek, we’ll also see Léa Seydoux, Ralph Fiennes as M, Ben Wishaw as Q and Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. The director is Cary Joji Fukunaga (True Detective season 1, Beasts of No Nation).
    Just before our deadline, it looked like No Time To Die would release on the 12th of November, but unfortunately the film has been delayed again. Depending on the situation, the film now releases on April 1st . Let us hope that it really happens this time.

The internet at least agrees about one thing: Rami Malek is Dr. No. If you look at the latest trailer, then his outfit, megalomaniac lair and minions really make you think about that legendary Bond villain. Even if he’s called Safin, as all official writing says. But Christoph Waltz’s name in Spectre was also Franz Oberhauser, yet he turned out to be the legendary Blofeld.
    How nice would it be if the first Bond villain ever, was Craig’s last? Malek isn’t saying anything about it: “I do want to tell you, but that would ruin the entire experience”. We decide to not take Malek up on his bluff. “That’s a good thing”, he says laughing, “because it’s in my contract that that would cost half my life”.

Was the Bond set how you expected a Bond set to be?
    It’s a very special place. You’re walking on holy ground at Pinewood Studios. You feel the history of all the Bond films that have been recorded before. Intimidating, but also very inspiring. I think that with our sets, we also honour those old 007 sets that you know of, those enormous villain sets. Lovely. You think you have an idea how it’s like to be on a Bond set of such scale, until you’re really standing there.

Do you have any idea when you’ll be working again?
    No, that’s all very uncertain unfortunately. You do see things happen here or there and I hope they’re succeeding. But I know we’ll find our way back sooner or later. Although I’m holding onto things for this fall. At the moment, there’s noting on my planning. A bit of rest after those few years that felt like a storm.

Did you feel like a part of the established club after [getting] the Oscar?
    It’s difficult and strange, but it’s also a very rewarding experience. It’s a gift from life if you truly can make your dreams come through. If that comes with certain personal consequences, I can handle that. Or no, I should rather say, I’m learning to deal with it better and better.

With fame?
    That, and losing fame. Although I try to not lose it completely. It’s a challenge, but I don’t want to take the risk that I’m missing out on life. Should I stay home because the possibility exists that someone takes a picture that I don’t like, or because they’re listening in on a conversation? I’m doing my best to let this hinder me as less as possible.

In a recent interview, you said you’ve just finished your own script, how’s that coming along?
    I’m incredibly proud of that, but unfortunately I can’t say much about it. I absolutely believe you should never tell too much about something, before you’ve seen or made it. Yes, I know I’m selling a film now, but still. (laughs)

You can have that first experience only once?
    Exactly. Why should I ruin that for you and me? And just like with my writing, that’s such an important experience for me to have for the first time, that I’d protect it with my life.

Was that something you wanted to do for a while, writing?
    You know, I’m constantly fascinated by almost every job I come across, haha. With some intense movies, I’m performing better when I do my work in front of the camera and quietly retreat afterwards. With other movies, I wander around set as long as possible to see how everybody does their job. How all those different specialities come together for something as bizarre as a movie. Whether that’s a camera man, a costume designer or a stunt driver. To me, a film or tv set is the best education one can wish for. You’ve got access to the most capable artists. The more I can absorb that, the better.

So you don’t have a trailer on set?
    Haha, I do have one, but sometimes there’s no other way in film making. But if it’s possible, I’m on set as mush as I can to watch along. It’s probably that idea of a film crew being like a travelling circus, that has always spoken to my imagination.

Back to Bond, how did you form the role of Safin?
    Cary Fukunaga and I have spoken very long about Safin before we recorded. For me, it was important that the character didn’t have a link with terrorism or have a religious ideology. I’ve decided long ago that I would refuse those roles to not strengthen the stereotypes of my ancestors. With Safin, it was mainly finding the truth within his motives.

In a way you’re almost sympathising with him?
    Those are the best villains, right? And the worst. Those people that you can almost understand. If you’re then find him sympathetic somewhere, then my mission has succeeded. Daniel Craig called Safin ‘not understood’. I liked that one. Apart from that, one of my inspirations was also Javier Bardem. His role as Silva in Skyfall was masterful, let alone No Country For Old Men. The most horrifying bad guy I’ve ever seen on the screen. With Safin I mostly focused on subdued villains.

A role that probably gives a lot of pressure.
    By completely immersing in that role, you can take away some pressure. And you just don’t have to dwell upon the fact that you’re a Bond villain for that long, that’s never good for the nerves, haha. Though I do believe that I wouldn’t have been as good in this part if I hadn’t played Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody first. That overwhelming performance has prepared me for everything that comes next.

Did the role of Freddie gave you more confidence in your work?
    (laughs and thinks about it) Perhaps. I don’t think I can argue against that, actually. It was very freeing to play someone like Freddie Mercury. I sensed that I dared to do more afterwards and positioned myself as more confident on set. The result of my intention to never get out of the way of a challenge, how far out of my comfort zone it might be.

Don’t you make it unnecessarily complicated for yourself in that way?
    Maybe, but I have the rare opportunity to let my dreams come true. With the highlight of playing Freddie and winning that Oscar. Unreal. It’s the same as now being among the list of playing a Bond villain. But sometimes I think I’m too strict for myself. Those fears helped me with playing Elliot in Mr. Robot and it’s helped be well, but sometimes it should be a bit less. But hey, I want to achieve something extraordinary with my job. I never want to look back at something and regret that I could’ve done more.

Can you remember your first Bond film?
    I believe it was Goldfinger, but it might’ve also been Dr. No. With the entire family, in front of the tv. It was the first spy film I ever saw and that was extremely exciting as a child and I got hooked. I’ve stayed a fan since, and to then speak the words ‘Mr. Bond’, or something like it: that’s unforgettable.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

You and Sting.
    Since EON thought SP would be Craig's last Bond, Kleinman showed characters from previous Craig films in the title sequence. But I wouldn't like Kleinman do the same for NTTD even if it's now Craig's last. I think Kleinman should bring back the CR style....something ultra-original again.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 847
    He's gonna do something in black and white. The CD box is black and white, the clip is black and white: it's smell stink a B&W title sequence (or is it because they want to hide her green hairs?)...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

You and Sting.

I did snigger, by the way :D
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    edited December 2020 Posts: 46
    if anyone is interested in how Covid has impacted cinemas and Bond , give the The Film Programme on BBC Radio 4 a listen from the 12th minute https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000q9cj
  • StarkStark France
    He's gonna do something in black and white. The CD box is black and white, the clip is black and white: it's smell stink a B&W title sequence (or is it because they want to hide her green hairs?)...

One of the poster (the best imo) is black and white...
    Stark wrote: »

One of the poster (the best imo) is black and white...

True, forgot about it since it be an eternity since it's release...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I'm thinking that the passing windows of the train are going to transition into the PTS, similarly to how the ring was used in SP. It might even be an important symbol given that trains suggest decisions and moving ahead with no looking back.

"Time is a train, makes the future the past..." - U2
    "I've boarded the train, there's no getting off." - Sylvia Plath

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,035
    Went to see Wonder Woman 1984 in IMAX today. Great film and definitely a big screen experience.

One day, it will be the full film...

17091-FC9-C18-A-4298-9-D92-6-EC107233-A7-C.jpg
    Mallory wrote: »
    Went to see Wonder Woman 1984 in IMAX today. Great film and definitely a big screen experience.

One day, it will be the full film...

17091-FC9-C18-A-4298-9-D92-6-EC107233-A7-C.jpg

Just curious, @Mallory , did the audience cheer when the NTTD trailer played?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,035
    @ToTheRight I dont think so. To be honest, there wasnt much of an audience, maybe 8 people total, myself included. It was a lunchtime screening but am sad cinema attendance is so low. The cinema had all its covid compliant regs in order as well.
    Mallory wrote: »
    @ToTheRight I dont think so. To be honest, there wasnt much of an audience, maybe 8 people total, myself included. It was a lunchtime screening but am sad cinema attendance is so low. The cinema had all its covid compliant regs in order as well.

That's too bad. I remember seeing LTK in the cinema with an audience of about 8 people. Had Tenet had a packed house as per normal I'm sure there might have been some audience response to the Bond trailer.
    The GoldenEye trailer brought about an enormous cheer, especially after a six year Bond absence.