No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited October 2020 Posts: 440
    Burgess wrote: »
    Theatrical releases aren’t dead. Hollywood has yet to find a streaming model that can replace the lost revenue. Disney’s restructuring is preparation for the future, not a pivot for the present. Studios will most likely release less movies in theaters but there’s not really long term incentive—yet—to cut-off massive blockbusters at their knees. People are not at the psychological point where paying $30.00+ to see a SFX extravaganza on a 55-inch flat-screen is justifiable.

Exactly. In fact, Tenet is still making money and has far outstripped Mulan's grosses by now. When all is said and done, the fact remains that a movie that was only partially released in a small percentage of theatres is still making hundreds of millions more than its VOD equivalents

Whether one likes it or not, the streaming or theatre debate is not about which is better for the viewer, but which one makes more money and Hollywood has yet to find a working alternative to a cinema release.
    I believe theatres won't die.

Same here.
    I mean: how many times cinemas were doomed?
    - when the silent era ended
    - when colour came up
    - when TV came up
    - when VHS came up
    - when video games came up
    - when streaming came up

50 years from now people will still go to the cinema, and people will still say: this time it's really the end of theatres.

And you know why? Because people love to see a movie with a big crowd. Laugh together, cry together etc.

Nothing the best home cinema system can do.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    At this stage I just want to see the film.
    I would be very happy if a simultaneous cinema and streaming release took place so people had a choice how they wanted to see NTTD. I love cinema but I'd be torn and might choose streaming.
    Just kicking it down the road until the whole world can pack into cinemas again is a pipe dream. If that is the only strategy that is acceptable then we will be lucky to see this as the 60th anniversary film in '22.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Same here.
    - when colour came up
    - when TV came up
    - when VHS came up
    - when streaming came up

50 years from now people will still go to the cinema, and people will still say: this time it's really the end of theatres.

And you know why? Because people love to see a movie with a big crowd. Laugh together, cry together etc.

Yes this is true. But every time that cinema was threatened it had to reinvent itself. Some common examples from the past would be the use of 70mm or the jump to anamorphic lenses. What will be the technology that convinces audiences there is a difference between their home tv and the theatre?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The bottom line is the debate is moot if there are no cinemas left to show films. That's a fact. People can have their subjective preferences all they want but it won't matter when the theaters shutter and we're forced into a streaming only environment regardless.
  • I really hope this happens, because I don't see NTTD coming out in cinemas in April of next year. I want to see the film. Cinemas aren't what they were anyway. Pre-Covid they were full of noisy people sat on their phones. I'm kind of praying for the death of cinema, and I'm a huge film fan. I've got a beautiful, large screen TV in my lounge. I can eat my own food, have tea and coffee, and pop to the toilet whenever I want. Cinemas are looking increasingly archaic.

Couldn't agree more. As another self-proclaimed "film fan", I feel weird being in support of cinemas dying. I had a guy open his LAPTOP at the SPECTRE premiere. That put me over the edge. I've always been pro-streaming for NTTD, hope it happens soon.
    Can't remember the last time I had a good time going to the cinema. There's always someone there that ruins the experience one way or the other. At this point, watching a film on a Macbook with a pair of decent headphones beats a trip to the cinema for me.
    I highly doubt cinemas will die. But their ownership could completely change.

They'd essentially need to be bought by the studios or streamers to become premium content showroom experiences for really high-value blockbusters, I suppose?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can't remember the last time I had a good time going to the cinema. There's always someone there that ruins the experience one way or the other. At this point, watching a film on a Macbook with a pair of decent headphones beats a trip to the cinema for me.

If it's not someone talking or being a general nuisance, then it's the staff members coming in to deliver food and take orders. The Alamo Drafthouse has some real backwards way of thinking when it comes to their rules and how they're enforced.

As others have mentioned, I prefer my home theater setup anymore - saves me money, I get to enjoy a film from the comfort of my couch - stoned, if I choose - all through the beauty of a 65" 4K TV. I don't have to go anywhere, I don't have to sit through ads and trailers I've already seen before, and these days, I don't have to risk any chance of COVID in doing so.

Having said that, I get the theatrical experience can be something special, especially during a real event film or blockbuster, but it's lost its luster for me lately. Considering how mediocre a lot of films have been the last few years to hit theaters, along with the faster turnaround time, I just can't justify going to the theaters more than once or twice a year, if that, whereas I used to be there several times per week as a teenager.
    Because I don’t want to wait for four months to get it? Cinemas can die and I get to watch it day 1 on stream. Or they can offer a choice to have both available atf en same time. Which will just kill cinemas anyway.

Wow!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I really feel for those who have had multiple terrible cinema experiences. I still love going and the more people in the screen with me, the better - especially for a film like NTTD. That being said, the theatres I normally attend are a cut above most in terms of quality.
    I've heard this does not happen for everyone but for me those first two days or so of a Bond film opening in a theater with an audience clapping and whooping at the sight of the gun barrel and then reacting throughout the film is what going to a theater is all about for me. You just don't get that at home.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I found this image interesting. I think cinema will be a niche operation in the future, like drive in theatres, hinging on what Netflix does:
    WorldAdmission1930-2010.jpg
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 727
    Edit.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Interesting graphic @w2bond. Makes sense popularity shot up during the war, and funny that TV absolutely murdered theatres; makes sense I suppose, theatres would have been the only way to see moving pictures, and suddenly you can do it at home. I imagine streaming would have had a similar effect for a similar reason, especially in the advent of seeing blockbusters as they're released instead of having to wait, which I suppose is new to this pandemic era.
    Totally agree that it's easy to imagine theatres becoming niche. Would have a big effect on movies generally though.
    Interesting graphic @w2bond. Makes sense popularity shot up during the war, and funny that TV absolutely murdered theatres; makes sense I suppose, theatres would have been the only way to see moving pictures, and suddenly you can do it at home. I imagine streaming would have had a similar effect for a similar reason, especially in the advent of seeing blockbusters as they're released instead of having to wait, which I suppose is new to this pandemic era.
    Totally agree that it's easy to imagine theatres becoming niche. Would have a big effect on movies generally though.

@NickTwentyTwo I'm assuming higher attendence in the 40s is due to people going in for repeat viewings, whereas nowadays people will wait for dvd/streaming after the cinematic release. So, much like physical vs online retail, I don't think the future for retail and cinema is as dire as one would assume, because shopping centres and cinemas are still packed.

What I find curious is the massive difference in attendance between UK and USA/Europe
    I suppose I've always viewed the US as the greatest consumer of media (and other things) so that doesn't surprise me too much. Entertainment seems to usually skyrocket during wartime, this is true of comics as well (escapism, go figure). I'll see if I can find some good sources for that.
    I agree, it probably isn't realistically as dire as I might have assumed, but it'll be interesting nevertheless to see how theatres react to everything happening now.
    It makes sense regarding escapism (just look at Netflix during these few months), but I wonder why people in the UK are less inclined to go to the cinemas? Do they prefer watching at home? Do they prefer other forms of entertainment?!

Cinema is certainly in for a challenge because of streaming, even if covid never happened
    We never had the culture of moviegoing the yanks had. But yanks are now in the lead at abandoning cinemas.
    We never had the culture of moviegoing the yanks had. But yanks are now in the lead at abandoning cinemas.

They do everything... more.
    w2bond wrote: »
    I found this image interesting. I think cinema will be a niche operation in the future, like drive in theatres, hinging on what Netflix does:

This is interesting. Let's not forget the fact that there were 2,4 billion people on the Earth in 1950. Today we are almost at 8 billion.

Another perspective:

"Universal announced last week that even after the lockdown ends, all of their films will now be released online at the same time as hitting the cinema. Great news for anyone who’s gotten used to staying at home – not so good for anyone who owns a cinema chain.

The idea of watching a film in the cinema has always been tied to nostalgia, and there’s no doubting the fact that something needs to change if the industry is going to survive at all post-lockdown – but blackmailing cinemas with their own destruction is ultimately going to kill off the very thing it’s trying to protect."
    https://www.nme.com/features/streaming-services-have-saved-cinemas-but-now-theyre-kicking-them-while-theyre-down-2659161
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    w2bond wrote: »

Thanks for this @w2bond , France haven't really been in top consumers for cinema, i always thought it was opposite. Also, not surprised that US is the biggest market for Cinema.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Same here.
    - when colour came up
    - when TV came up
    - when VHS came up
    - when streaming came up

Well said, completely agree with what you said. No matter what anyone says, nothing can beat that theatre experience.
  • No one eating noisy snacks, no one on their phone throughout an entire movie, no one talking throughout an entire movie, not having to get up for people to pass by during a movie, being able to pause a film to make drinks/snacks/go to the toilet, inexpensive sundries, etc.

Nothing the best cinema can do.

Personally i wish the governments would level with everyone and just tell it like it is. I never thought November was remotely realistic. April will be better possibly but still nowhere near. I think now that life isn’t going to go back to normal till at least 2022-23. Life wasn’t normal in July even after 12 weeks of lock down.

You can’t run a business model that relies on footfall when the maximum capacity of theatres and cinemas is going to be 25% full maximum. I’ve said before, Blockbuster video was a victim of online streaming and downloads. I fear cinema is going to go the same way.

Paradoxically you can’t allow Covid to wisely spread through the community as the knock on effects of lack of resources and healthcare then for ALL illnesses will be strained.

I don’t know what the solution is.
  • Everybody here rooting for the death of cinema, as if Netflix (or Amazon or Apple) is going to put up $150M to create each new blockbuster movie in a franchise when they won't even reliably keep popular shows going after a few seasons.

I realize that the article is focused solely on television, but you could just as easily apply much of this paragraph to a movie industry in which cinema has been replaced by streaming services:
    Netflix doesn’t make money the way broadcasters did. The streamer doesn’t need shows it produces to build up a catalogue of 60, 80, or 100 episodes so that it can make hundreds of millions of dollars in selling syndication rights to other platforms because Netflix shows are designed, by and large, to live their entire lives on Netflix. It doesn’t have to keep moderately successful series around for a decade (or even five years) out of fear that it will be hard to get viewers to sample something new, because the Netflix algorithm and home page mean it can get tens of millions of viewers to at least sample almost anything. (Whether they stick around or like the show is another matter.) And while ending shows prematurely potentially pisses off some producers who would very much love to explore the worlds they’ve created for more than just a couple of seasons, well, that’s the beauty of being a global entertainment super-platform: There will always be other producers willing to play by your rules. NBC needs Dick Wolf and Lorne Michaels to be happy. Netflix needs nobody.

Yes, Netflix or Apple may be willing to make Bond movies, and hell they may even make make one every two years which I'm sure would satisfy some people on these boards, but the literal economics of the industry and the companies demands that they'd be low-budget, middling-quality versions without anywhere near the same craft, travel, and quality as is put into them today. Be careful what you wish for.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,314
    I dont know about rooting for the death of cinema. But just applying a little realism to an unfortunate situation.

I don't know any Music Halls. I don't go Ballroom dancing. I dont know any Farriers. Or Coopers. Or Blacksmiths. Or ship builders. Or miners.

An unfortunate truth is that industries and jobs come and go for various reasons. I would really never wish anyone to be out of a job, or for an industry that exists to bring pleasure to the public to go, but cinema's short term future looks bleak. Long term we will have to see. In the meantime, Amazon is doing a $250 million adaptation of Lord of The Rings....
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    delfloria wrote: »
    I've heard this does not happen for everyone but for me those first two days or so of a Bond film opening in a theater with an audience clapping and whooping at the sight of the gun barrel and then reacting throughout the film is what going to a theater is all about for me. You just don't get that at home.

+1

I'm on the fence, here. I am all about the theater experience. But I think it also depends on the film. The latest Star Wars films needed to be seen in theaters. Same with Marvel/Avengers films, all of which my daughter clamors for and always wants to see on opening night. But other than that? I've watched almost every Oscar-nominated best picture, over the past few years, at home. I don't think it ruined the film. The Favourite? Spotlight? Birdman? Green Book? Lady Bird? I saw all on the small screen, don't think it mattered.

One big benefit: I can pause the film for snack or bathroom breaks.

But yeah: I'd prefer Bond on the big screen, in a packed theater.
    +1 for the toilet break!! Especially as I am getting older....

I can live without strangers whooping and hollering at the slightest thing throughout a film. Particularly now we live at a time when there is almost an expectation to react out loud to everything.
    I also still prefer cinema experience despite (some) uncultured people and despite the advantages mentioned above.
    Barbara broccoli breaks silence on if a new bond is cast.

https://www.gamesradar.com/next-james-bond-daniel-craig-tom-hardy-producers-interview/