No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    jake24 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    There has been clearly a feminist agenda in NTTD's media coverage of the production. There wasn't a single interview or article where the Bond women (not girls) weren't mentioned as being the core of the film and strong examples, the female writer got more credit in the media and was mentioned ad nauseam as being a feminist.

They're called strong etc. every time there's a Bond film out.

The female writer got more credit in the mainstream media because she's more famous than anyone else behind the camera on the film, it's not a conspiracy.

She was mentioned as being a feminist because papers like the Daily Mail who reported that want you to see that as a bad thing and the world is falling apart because even James bleedin' Bond is one of those leftie woke snowflakes now, and he's not even stopping all of the immigrants.
    But to say that mentioning this, which is an opinion, is feeling threatened is the most single absurd thing I've ever heard.

A rather extreme bit of hyperbole there! Methinks the lady doth protest too much :)

You filtered out all of the coverage about him being injured, stopping production, all of the questions to him whether its his last, the interviews he's done etc. Memory and perception is a funny old thing.
    It’s also worth noting that even Waller-Bridge herself tried to downplay her own involvement in the project due to the media over-hyping her as the main writer who got hired to push some feminist agenda. It amazes me that people still buy into it all when it’s clear they’re going in the same direction they’ve been going in for numerous films since the Brosnan era. The only difference here is that a qualified agent has taken over the 007 codename in the five years Bond was off of active duty. Once one realizes that this scenario is quite realistic, all that feminist agenda discussion becomes trivial at best.

Yep, exactly. Nothing to get worried about, it was just an angle to write some articles because the person involved is famous (and they can try and get some outrage going, and surprise surprise, it worked on a few Bond fans who are susceptible to that sort of thing). Eon have notably not mentioned the 007 thing at all for the possible reasons that: because it’s not true (which seems unlikely); they’re trying to not spoil the film; or they’re worried about a (sexist and racist) reaction against it before it comes out.

Having papers talking about Bond is always the important thing anyway.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    There has been clearly a feminist agenda in NTTD's media coverage of the production. There wasn't a single interview or article where the Bond women (not girls) weren't mentioned as being the core of the film and strong examples, the female writer got more credit in the media and was mentioned ad nauseam as being a feminist.

The female writer got more credit in the mainstream media because she's more famous than anyone else behind the camera on the film, it's not a conspiracy.

She was mentioned as being a feminist because papers like the Daily Mail who reported that want you to see that as a bad thing and the world is falling apart because even James bleedin' Bond is one of those leftie woke snowflakes now, and he's not even stopping all of the immigrants.
    But to say that mentioning this, which is an opinion, is feeling threatened is the most single absurd thing I've ever heard.

A rather extreme bit of hyperbole there! Methinks the lady doth protest too much :)

You filtered out all of the coverage about him being injured, stopping production, all of the questions to him whether its his last, the interviews he's done etc. Memory and perception is a funny old thing.
    It’s also worth noting that even Waller-Bridge herself tried to downplay her own involvement in the project due to the media over-hyping her as the main writer who got hired to push some feminist agenda. It amazes me that people still buy into it all when it’s clear they’re going in the same direction they’ve been going in for numerous films since the Brosnan era. The only difference here is that a qualified agent has taken over the 007 codename in the five years Bond was off of active duty. Once one realizes that this scenario is quite realistic, all that feminist agenda discussion becomes trivial at best.
    I think that's one reason I'm kinda content with all this Tom Hardy stuff because while we always mention that Bond isn't what it used to be, this casting rumour has shown that a strong interest is out there across a huge number of people.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think that's one reason I'm kinda content with all this Tom Hardy stuff because while we always mention that Bond isn't what it used to be, this casting rumour has shown that a strong interest is out there across a huge number of people.

But aren't you afraid that paves up the way for fake news? If we condone this, aren't we responsible as consumers for the continuity of poor journalism and media coverage? Isn't that the proverbial slippery slope?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,930
    Denbigh wrote: »

But aren't you afraid that paves up the way for fake news? If we condone this, aren't we responsible as consumers for the continuity of poor journalism and media coverage? Isn't that the proverbial slippery slope?

It’s a Bond movie, not the end of the world. Showbiz pages have always made stuff up about Bond, or Chinese whispers have turned into a story down the line.

Fake news is something to worry about, but you’re fighting on the wrong battleground.

It’s been funny seeing how obvious some of the papers have been about stoking outrage in the production of this one, from the Waller Bridge ‘feminist agenda’ which has still stuck in some folks’ minds, to the story about how shocking it was they were destroying priceless old Aston Martins. And of course the wonderful moment when the Daily Mail revealed just how much of a feminist agenda they actually have when they captioned a picture from the filming ‘Daniel Craig and a female assistant’ when the woman with him was his boss, Ms Broccoli.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Yep, exactly. Nothing to get worried about, it was just an angle to write some articles because the person involved is famous (and they can try and get some outrage going, and surprise surprise, it worked on a few Bond fans who are susceptible to that sort of thing). Eon have notably not mentioned the 007 thing at all for the possible reasons that: because it’s not true (which seems unlikely); they’re trying to not spoil the film; or they’re worried about a (sexist and racist) reaction against it before it comes out.

My thoughts, exactly. All that "we need a female James Bond" stuff is nothing but free press. James Bond will not be a woman. But people can have fun thinking about it. No harm done.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    TripAces wrote: »

My thoughts, exactly. All that "we need a female James Bond" stuff is nothing but free press. James Bond will not be a woman. But people can have fun thinking about it. No harm done.

Plus one, as they say around here. :)
    It’s been funny seeing how obvious some of the papers have been about stoking outrage in the production of this one, from the Waller Bridge ‘feminist agenda’ which has still stuck in some folks’ minds, to the story about how shocking it was they were destroying priceless old Aston Martins. And of course the wonderful moment when the Daily Mail revealed just how much of a feminist agenda they actually have when they captioned a picture from the filming ‘Daniel Craig and a female assistant’ when the woman with him was his boss, Ms Broccoli.

I guess what's funny for some is distasteful and worrisome for others. News is news, and should be treated with the respect the milieu deserves. Drops are what oceans are made of.

With your line of thought, things won't change but for the worst. Wanna say I'm hyperbolical and that I'm "fighting on the wrong battleground", go right ahead. But my everyday battleground is humankind, and one has to keep standards and seriousness about some things. News, for me, is one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I agree with most of what you said there. Even if a bit hyperbolised. Although I'm not so sure Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the best known piece in this particular chess board.

Yes well done for spotting that I had exaggerated slightly to make my point. Worth pointing out(!)
    And no, there really isn’t anyone more famous from a popular press angle than PWB on the crew of the film. If you think there is then feel free to name them. Linus Sandgren maybe? Never off the front pages, that guy.

Hyperboles are there to be used. But what I meant was that I'm tired that every time someone calls out the feminist agenda, or at least the extremist branch of it, someone else says it's because they're threatened by it.

When someone starts going on about a ‘feminist agenda’ because there’s an advert out which has had to use the co-star because the main star most likely wasn’t available to them to use, it says more about their thought process than it does the film’s promotion.
    And you think this is an ‘extremist’ feminist agenda? That’s an even more worrying thought process.

Nah, I know that happened, in a smaller scale than "the topic" in hand. My memory's just fine. Listen, you can't deny that it's an important matter. More so than ever. I'm all for equality and empowerment. I bet I do more for it professionally than most. It has been in the media since the early 20th century, but now it's undeniably in the front line, as race and gender matters are. If they address it, it's a product of the Times, and that's useful and normal. Denying it and saying it's always been like that is being a bit obtuse, Queen Gertrude. BTW, "methinks" comes at the end of the sentence ;) if we want to be anal about it.

Yes, I think you do want to be anal about it for some reason. A bit pathetic. I’m sure we can all give you the kudos you’re looking for though.
    I think you just forgot how much Craig has been involved but your thought processes have exposed themselves here.
    The problem is that you missed how the supposedly feminist angle of hiring a writer was portrayed as a negative thing, and how less progressive parts of fandom fell for it. That’s the issue here.
    Good to know we're talking, btw, even if that line between civility and innuendo is still thin.

I was never not talking to you. I wasn’t the one who spat the dummy.

When someone starts going on about a ‘feminist agenda’ because there’s an advert out which has had to use the co-star because the main star most likely wasn’t available to them to use, it says more about their thought process than it does the film’s promotion.
    And you think this is an ‘extremist’ feminist agenda? That’s an even more worrying thought process.

That someone sure wasn't me. I complained about it being spy nonsense and even said Daniel Craig had a few just like it. But it's an advert and it's an apt one at that.

Thank you for calling me pathetic, btw, you're so nice. I'm the petulant one, evidently.

Goodnight. Don't bother answering.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Gaslighting and narcissism:
    People who gaslight other people in their lives may have a psychological disorder called narcissistic personality disorder.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Contraband wrote: »
    Look what dropped in my lap. At least the two with Lea an her assistant are new. At least I think it's the assistant. Maybe a production woman

AxBSUkh.jpg
    I know it's really simple, but I love this styling on Lea. The hair and the clothes are great.
    One thing is for certain, virtuality suits some people and their gaslighting propensity. And everyone seems to fall for it.

@peter, my friend, I, for one, can't stand this anymore. I'm off the forums for a while. I've had enough.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    One thing is for certain, virtuality suits some people and their gaslighting propensity. And everyone seems to fall for it.

@peter, my friend, I, for one, can't stand this anymore. I'm off the forums for a while. I've had enough.

I understand where you’re coming from @Univex ... but I hope you don’t.

We all enjoy your comments and feedback— even when we disagree. We all can manage like adults.

Just ignore and have fun with things that give you a grin.

P
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    TripAces wrote: »

I think that every time a Bond movie comes out, there will be a ridiculous section of the media coverage dedicated to talking about how 'progressive' the movie is. However, due to recent media events and the fact there are two substantial new female characters in NTTD, James Bond has become a much bigger target for such types of media coverage owing to the perceived history of the character and so 95% of the media coverage becomes this dumb hype over strong female characters dedicated to pleasing the vocal minority with their shallow and ingenuous 'support' for social justice causes.

And I call this coverage 'shallow' because it only appears to look 'progressive', If you look back in history, there have already been legendary 'macho' movies that had considerable input from female writers like Terminator, and even female directors such as American Psycho. Being hyped over PWB giving creative input and calling that progressive is the same as a high schooler going over his ABC's - we've already been there in terms of female involvement in filmmaking, and we were already there many, many years ago. It's patronizing to hype PWB like this.

It also does not serve the characters justice. To be told that they are powerful and not have them work for their strength is perhaps one of the greatest crimes in writing characters in this current time - it's the writing equivalent of the one kid in school who keeps telling everyone that they most definitely can deadlift 500lbs at 10 years old. Why should we cheer for Nomi if she's already this all-powerful Mary Sue? Making the character 'strong' and 'powerful' without flaws only sends the message that women aren't capable of working towards getting powerful and strong, and that women aren't worthy of a real characterization and arc - something that sounds pretty sexist to me.

As someone who likes to create and analyze characters, there is nothing worse than a character being spoon fed and given power willy-nilly. Three dimensional characters earn their power and thus, the audience's love. They don't need to tell you that they are great -they prove it in the film.

• edited September 2020 Posts: 151
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Nice shots! I wonder why Lea looks so perturbed in these photos. Perhaps it's context within the movie?

Because she has to portray the trauma of knowing
    Bond didn't get out of the lair before the HMS Dragon fired missiles struck it.
    Lea may be fragile, but she is not that fragile.
    Lea may be fragile, but she is not that fragile.

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.jpg
    peter wrote: »

I understand where you’re coming from @Univex ... but I hope you don’t.

We all enjoy your comments and feedback— even when we disagree. We all can manage like adults.

Just ignore and have fun with things that give you a grin.

P

You're right, of course. I'll only lay of the thread anyway, for a while. Until the vitriol cooked by the angst of not being able to point out and control said gaslighting activities dissipates. I wouldn't want to be accused of "spatting the dummy" or having a "woe me" attitude again. Some obvious alienating dynamics, when are not seen and managed by others, irk me to no end, and I do get rattled by that. It's infuriating. And usually social mediums and communities at large are so oblivious to it that they end up protecting and allowing it. But I won't preach. Like I said, I'm exhausted. And I want to enjoy this film as much as I've enjoyed all the others for many decades. So I'll keep more at bay, like yourself and others. Thanks, @peter, dear friend. I'll see you around.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

I agree with most of what you said there. Even if a bit hyperbolised. Although I'm not so sure Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the best known piece in this particular chess board.

Yes well done for spotting that I had exaggerated slightly to make my point. Worth pointing out(!)
    And no, there really isn’t anyone more famous from a popular press angle than PWB on the crew of the film. If you think there is then feel free to name them. Linus Sandgren maybe? Never off the front pages, that guy.

Hyperboles are there to be used. But what I meant was that I'm tired that every time someone calls out the feminist agenda, or at least the extremist branch of it, someone else says it's because they're threatened by it.

Nah, I know that happened, in a smaller scale than "the topic" in hand. My memory's just fine. Listen, you can't deny that it's an important matter. More so than ever. I'm all for equality and empowerment. I bet I do more for it professionally than most. It has been in the media since the early 20th century, but now it's undeniably in the front line, as race and gender matters are. If they address it, it's a product of the Times, and that's useful and normal. Denying it and saying it's always been like that is being a bit obtuse, Queen Gertrude. BTW, "methinks" comes at the end of the sentence ;) if we want to be anal about it.

Yes, I think you do want to be anal about it for some reason. A bit pathetic. I’m sure we can all give you the kudos you’re looking for though.
    I think you just forgot how much Craig has been involved but your thought processes have exposed themselves here.
    The problem is that you missed how the supposedly feminist angle of hiring a writer was portrayed as a negative thing, and how less progressive parts of fandom fell for it. That’s the issue here.
    Good to know we're talking, btw, even if that line between civility and innuendo is still thin.

I was never not talking to you. I wasn’t the one who spat the dummy.

Unnecessarily inflammatory comment. And not the first.

I'd rather you didn't, seriously.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    QBranch wrote: »

"Our team logged an impressive 948 shipping clearance documents during the production of NO TIME TO DIE"

Hope they gonna publish their Vlog soon (and not the "soon" of their website, a true soon).
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Yes, I forgot about those. I'm surprised we haven't gotten any new ones yet. Aren't there still 3 or 4 left?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Yes, I forgot about those. I'm surprised we haven't gotten any new ones yet. Aren't there still 3 or 4 left?

https://www.notimetodie.dhl/en
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Black Widow delayed to May 2021; Death on the Nile delayed to December 2020.

NTTD is now the NEXT big-budget release coming to cinemas.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Does that mean potentially NTTD gets brought forward? Maximise the release pre-christmas?
    Mallory wrote: »
    Does that mean potentially NTTD gets brought forward? Maximise the release pre-christmas?

Well, the Taschen book was brought forward to October, but I doubt they'll do that with the film, considering the campaign has November stamped all over it. I wish they did, it would be somewhat of a smart move. That, or relocate it entirely to the Summer of 2021, cause things will get nasty come November.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Why wasn't the movie delayed to July since there were less cases in that time period? If I recall correctly several Harry Potter movies came out on July and they all did great (granted, HP movies would do well even if released on January or February, but they still were huge successes).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Walecs wrote: »
    Why wasn't the movie delayed to July since there were less cases in that time period? If I recall correctly several Harry Potter movies came out on July and they all did great (granted, HP movies would do well even if released on January or February, but they still were huge successes).

Do you mean July next year? Who knows, could still happen I guess, although it feels like they're sticking to this one.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,538
    Mallory wrote: »

Well, the Taschen book was brought forward to October,

Apparently, not anymore...