No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »
    @mtm

Its a lot like people who are “oh are you Xbox or Playstation” like you can only pick one? I like both.

As is with the spy genre, I like all kinds of spy movies, not just Bond ones.

I just dont understand that thought process. Maybe I am just being a grumpy old man. 😂

Yeah exactly, I think they're both great. The last MI was better than the last Bond, I think there's a very good chance that the next MI will keep up the quality: Bond is less certain but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247
    mtm wrote: »
    @mtm

Its a lot like people who are “oh are you Xbox or Playstation” like you can only pick one? I like both.

I just dont understand that thought process. Maybe I am just being a grumpy old man. 😂

Yeah exactly, I think they're both great. The last MI was better than the last Bond, I think there's a very good chance that the next MI will keep up the quality: Bond is less certain but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

That's the thing. I mean I'm almost certain that the insane quality of Fallout is the reason EON kept changing writers for NTTD. Because it felt as if, when something was written, they weren't quite sure if it was working, even if it was working. Fallout is a lengthy film, but anytime one watches it, it comes and goes because the pace is electric. And there's serious urgency in its plot.

I'm a huge Bond fan like everyone here. But I've to be honest when I see the truth. Self-deceit is not a good thing.
    Hot take:

Bond doesnt need A-List directors.
    Bond needs better writers.

Fukunga is a great director but I wouldnt say he is A-List at present.

He's A list, believe me, I work in the business and he's been on the studio etc. A list for several years now.

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,497
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    @mtm

That's the thing. I mean I'm almost certain that the insane quality of Fallout is the reason EON kept changing writers for NTTD. Because it felt as if, when something was written, they weren't quite sure if it was working. Fallout is a lengthy film, but anytime one watches it, it comes and goes because the pace is electric. And there's serious urgency in its plot.

I'm a huge Bond fan like everyone here. But I've to be honest when I see the truth. Self-deceit is not a good thing.

The reason they rewrote the plot is because of Danny Boyle's draft being not good according to the producers and because it needed to be spiced up (hence they brought PwB in).

Fallout had absolutely nothing to do with this.

You are already panicking about and not liking a movie that hasn't been released yet. And then you'll be like "see, told ya, teh Fallout was de way to go hehe".

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    @mtm

That's the thing. I mean I'm almost certain that the insane quality of Fallout is the reason EON kept changing writers for NTTD. Because it felt as if, when something was written, they weren't quite sure if it was working. Fallout is a lengthy film, but anytime one watches it, it comes and goes because the pace is electric. And there's serious urgency in its plot.

The reason they rewrote the plot is because of Danny Boyle's draft being not good according to the producers and because it needed to be spiced up (hence they brought PwB in).

Fallout had absolutely nothing to do with this.

You are already panicking about and not liking a movie that hasn't been released yet. And then you'll be like "see, told ya, teh Fallout was de way to go hehe".

The thing is, I'm not panicking over NTTD. I mentioned earlier that it could be great. My main concern is, the Mission Impossible films are gaining on Bond and even surpassing some of the recent Bond films. Not that I don't like the Mission Impossible films, but I want Bond to return to being a pace-setter, Coz he started the whole Spy business.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @mtm

As a gamer I never understood the Xbox vs Playstation war, some 30 years old guys even called me names because I own an Xbox One.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I did really enjoy Fallout, but I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise and think the MI franchise is just a different breed of movie, and I think their success is for different reasons. One reason I don't want the James Bond franchise to become more like the MI franchise is because I think the MI franchise is more about selling the action spectacle and the stunt work, whereas for me there's much more to the James Bond franchise in terms of story and character, which is something I hope we don't lose.

And as people have said, you can totally enjoy both.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,950
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I did really enjoy Fallout, but I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise and think the MI franchise is just a different breed of movie, and I think their success is for different reasons. One reason I don't want the James Bond franchise to become more like the MI franchise is because I think the MI franchise is more about selling the action spectacle and the stunt work, whereas for me there's much more to the James Bond franchise in terms of story and character, which is something I hope we don't lose.

I'm not sure I'd say the Bond films have more story- the stories are at about the same level as MI. Bad guy wants to blow up the world. I think they just lean more on the style and atmosphere, and celebrating the main character. Just different accents on different things: I can't see how they're different breeds at all- they do very much the same thing in very similar ways, just delivered with different flavours.
    For many years the Bond series was known as the one which famously did all the big stunts and did them for real. I think MI's scripts and stories have been wittier and just working better as a cohesive, satisfying whole than the last Bond script too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I suppose @mtm, but for me, I find that the Craig-era has offered more in terms of story and are more centred around that story, and use that as an exploration of the character of James Bond, and use that to sell the films.

And yes the more recent MI films have tried to delve more into that, but for me they're still being sold and are successful because of the spectacle and the action, which is why i call them a different breed - to the Craig-era.

But again this is just my perspective on it, as for me, when I watch an MI film, I'm don't really feel like I'm exploring anything and I don't feel any depth. It feels more like a basic spy story with lots of spectacle to keep me entertained. I also look at it as Tom Cruise doing some action, spy stuff, not him playing and exploring this character whose at the centre of it.

The Craig-era, on the other hand, has more layers and depth as well as the action we've come to expect, and when I watch Craig, I genuinely feel like I'm watching James Bond and the character go through all these things in a more interesting and complex way.

Yes, Spectre was a mess, but I still feel that both these franchise are a different breed of spy film. For example, I'd call MI a blockbuster, whereas for me the more recent James Bond films are action-thrillers.
  • I love the competition between Bond and M:I - keeps both franchises going strong. But while they borrow heavily from each other, there will always be major fundamental differences:

1. M:I's brand is built on Cruise + stunts + caper-style plots
    2. Bond's brand is built on style + Britishness + Fleming and EON legacy

• phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think I'll pass on TENET. I won't go and see a new movie until Bond.
    Never quite understood the hype for Nolan . I liked TDK and have a copy of it. However I'm never in the mood for it. I'd rather he not direct a Bond. I'm hoping Fukunaga is so good he stays on for the next film.

Yes I don't get him either. I can see he's very good but his stuff just isn't to my taste.

I was watching Inception again last week and all of the stuff which is supposedly OHMSS-inspired I found all very dry and dull to watch: no excitement to it, and I've never seen him do 'fun' (which is fine, he hasn't tried to: but as a consequence I wouldn't really want him to do a Bond film. Even something like CR had fun bits).

Yeah, I can definitely understand where you're coming from.

Watched the much praised The Dark Knight, an hearing it had much inspiration drawn from Heat, I was excited to watch but found the Joke character's morality tests just really bland and not very outstanding, idk. I can definitely understand where all the love comes from but I just don't think it's something that I would enjoy.

Yep. I do ;-)

But I hope they won't go for the "going rogue" or "the IMF must be shut down " route again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I suppose @mtm, but for me, I find that the Craig-era has offered more in terms of story and are more centred around that story, and use that as an exploration of the character of James Bond, and use that to sell the films.

And yes the more recent MI films have tried to delve more into that, but for me they're still being sold and are successful because of the spectacle and the action, which is why i call them a different breed - to the Craig-era.

The trailers to the Craig films do have a lot of stunts in them, though.
    But again this is just my perspective on it, as for me, when I watch an MI film, I'm don't really feel like I'm exploring anything and I don't feel any depth. It feels more like a basic spy story with lots of spectacle to keep me entertained. I also look at it as Tom Cruise doing some action, spy stuff, not him playing and exploring this character whose at the centre of it.

The Craig-era, on the other hand, has more layers and depth as well as the action we've come to expect, and when I watch Craig, I genuinely feel like I'm watching James Bond and the character go through all these things in a more interesting and complex way.

Gosh I can't see it. I love the Bond films, obviously, but I don't think they've gone to any greater depth have than the MI films with Ethan's wife, his having the save everyone etc. in the last few films.
    I would never call Hunt as interesting a character as Bond, which is why they don't try and push the same buttons with the audience when you're watching him, but I don't feel like these are hugely deep films.
    Yes, Spectre was a mess, but I still feel that both these franchise are a different breed of spy film. For example, I'd call MI a blockbuster, whereas for me the more recent James Bond films are action-thrillers.

Maybe, but they are blockbusters, by pretty much every definition of the word.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 6,677
    We don't want Nolan. It's Denis Villeneuve we need. Now that is a man that would make an exquisite Bond film. His skillset is almost divine design made for Bond. I drool as I think about it.

James Cameron would also make a great Bond. True Lies made sure of that.

I agreed with everything you said, my friend,... until James Cameron. I'm all for Villeneuve, he'd be fantastic, but I firmly believe Cameron is the most overrated director of all time.

Also, what @Mallory just said about A-list directors and writers, absolutely spot on.

Also, I've just noticed I've answered a post from the previous page. So, ... moving on :)
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,497
    I love the competition between Bond and M:I - keeps both franchises going strong. But while they borrow heavily from each other, there will always be major fundamental differences:

This x 100. Even though I'd say "Englishness". ;-) :D :>
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I love the competition between Bond and M:I - keeps both franchises going strong. But while they borrow heavily from each other, there will always be major fundamental differences:

Bond's brand has long been built on stunts and inventive action and doing things for real, surely? It's USPs in the action movie realm are that it does big inventive action, has great beautiful sets and lush locations and a bit of style and playboy high living about everything. I don't think many punters care about Fleming or Eon (if they've even heard of them!). Not sure even Britishness features hugely, although it does help to give it a distinct flavour from the other blockbusters.
  • mtm wrote: »

Bond's brand has long been built on stunts and inventive action and doing things for real, surely? It's USPs in the action movie realm are that it does big inventive action, has great beautiful sets and lush locations and a bit of style and playboy high living about everything. I don't think many punters care about Fleming or Eon (if they've even heard of them!). Not sure even Britishness features hugely, although it does help to give it a distinct flavour from the other blockbusters.

I meant the tropes and formulaic elements inherited from Fleming and of course Bond's rich cinematic history... of course including the big action, lush locations, beautiful sets, etc. Stunts are no doubt part of Bond's sell as well, perhaps just not to the same extent as for M:I, wherein Ethan Hunt seems like a stuntman moonlighting as a secret agent.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just because the MI films now do the stunts better it doesn't make them bad. In Roger's day it was half a dozen stuntmen moonlighting as a secret agent! :D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    All fair @mtm, I just think my perception and expectations of the films are just different :) I do agree though that stunts in Mi don't make them bad, it's just personal preference.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 12,267
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/ihgdzz/nttd_cinema_release/

Take with a huge grain of salt, but this person claims NTTD is “definitely” coming this November. I have no idea if they have any credibility or what.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think there's any reason to think it isn't coming in November at the moment: that certainly seems to be the plan as of today. Whether that plan changes who knows, but Bond does seem to be one of the harder movies to move as there are so many cross promotions - in a way that not many other movies apart from yer Star Wars types seem to do nowadays.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 15,804
    I almost liked TRUE LIES when it was released. Other than T2 I'm not the biggest fan of Cameron. I really can't stand AVATAR. I'd rather have Marc Forster or Lee Tamahori come back than Cameron direct a Bond.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Take the political unrest out of the equation, and things are getting better and better here in the U.S. At this rate, there is no reason to think NTTD won't be in theaters on its proposed premiere date.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    FoxRox wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/ihgdzz/nttd_cinema_release/

Take with a huge grain of salt, but this person claims NTTD is “definitely” coming this November. I have no idea if they have any credibility or what.

Haven't heard anything about streaming. But have heard from a source that they are definitely committed to the Nov 2020 release date. So full steam ahead at this point. Updates coming soon.

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Fresh from the world out there

OKyyzRk.jpg
    CTy6lE0.jpg
    ALYGCOz.jpg
    XUTwgNy.jpg
    r0RNuNG.jpg
    iVsBQ4J.jpg
  • After seeing Tenet last night in a socially distanced theatre, I have to say I felt quite comfortable and safe and really enjoyed the cinema experience. More than anything else, Tenet left me really excited to see NTTD. I'm curious as to how both of the films will stack up against one another, I imagine they'll get quite a bit of comparison being massive event cinema spy blockbusters releasing during the COVID crisis. There's been a lot of talk about Nolan tackling Bond, but I think Cary Fukunaga will end up delivering a more character driven and emotionally substantial film than Nolan has made in Tenet. Can he deliver the spectacle and epic cinematic experience on the same level? That remains to be seen.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    After seeing Tenet last night in a socially distanced theatre, I have to say I felt quite comfortable and safe and really enjoyed the cinema experience. More than anything else, Tenet left me really excited to see NTTD. I'm curious as to how both of the films will stack up against one another, I imagine they'll get quite a bit of comparison being massive event cinema spy blockbusters releasing during the COVID crisis. There's been a lot of talk about Nolan tackling Bond, but I think Cary Fukunaga will end up delivering a more character driven and emotionally substantial film than Nolan has made in Tenet. Can he deliver the spectacle and epic cinematic experience on the same level? That remains to be seen.

Solid take. I plan to see Tenet this weekend.
    I almost liked TRUE LIES when it was released. Other than T2 I'm not the biggest fan of Cameron. I really can't stand AVATAR. I'd rather have Marc Forster or Lee Tamahori come back than Cameron direct a Bond.

“I’d rather have James Bond be a flop than see it directed by one of the best action directors ever”.

Okay, buddy.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

“I’d rather have James Bond be a flop than see it directed by one of the best action directors ever”.

Okay, buddy.

True Lies is Cameron's version of a Bond film. We'll never see him direct one, even though I wouldn't mind it. He's too tied into the Avatar sequels.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I loved True Lies: I've seen it far too many times! It's certainly closer to the Bond style of big, fun epics than any of Nolan's movies (not that there's anything wrong with Nolan doing his movies in his own style) so I think he'd have made a pretty fab Bond movie, but True Lies gave him more opportunity to say something with it and do a 'what if?' that he wouldn't have been able to with Bond.