No Time to Die production thread

Comments

If coronavirus continues to spike in the US do people think that they might release in some territories in November and delay the US release? FRWL for instance came out in the US I think 6 months after everywhere else. Bit more problematic though in this day and age with social media, it would mean that everything about the film will be out there for US audiences.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,681
    If coronavirus continues to spike in the US do people think that they might release in some territories in November and delay the US release? FRWL for instance came out in the US I think 6 months after everywhere else. Bit more problematic though in this day and age with social media, it would mean that everything about the film will be out there for US audiences.

The movie would already be out on Blu Ray nearly everywhere on the planet if the US release date was 6 months later.
    The_Return wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    Seems like it's only a matter of time. Setting my mind for November 2021. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise. As an American, I apologize to the lot of you for our country's horrible leadership in this crisis which I'm sure is the leading cause of having to delay these films

Are you kidding me? There is literally no way it will be delayed to autumn 2021. They would 100% release it on VOD before delaying it that much. I am willing to bet 10 THOUSAND euros with anyone here that NTTD will be released on 31 March 2021 the very latest either in theaters or as a VOD release.

We are talking about a $200 million + budget film. VOD is simply not an option. They will delay it as much as needed to release it in theaters. Same for Tenet, Wonder Woman, Black Widow, etc. These films are all safe bets for joining the $1 billion club, there is no way they get dumped on VOD.

Besides, recently you said there was no way NTTD would get delayed again, and now you are mentioning a March 2021 release.
    The_Return wrote: »
    NTTD is pretty much the only movie with a release date set for this year that cannot be delayed again. Why? Because it has already been delayed 3 times. Delaying a James Bond movie four times would be incredibly humiliating for everyone involved.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    No sign of Empire magazine yet, PDF-style

:((
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    silva13 wrote: »
    Nomi seems to follow Bond up the stairs to Safin but then she doesn't seem to be present when Bond tells him it isn't kind to play god. Does she die at the hands of Safin?
    I need this movie asap!!

It could be a different staircase.
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    the break even point for most films is between 2 and 3 times their budget
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 97
    We are talking about a $200 million + budget film. VOD is simply not an option.
    It is 100% an option. Everything is an option when there is a global pandemic such as the one we are in the middle of right now. They are not going to wait until the end of times for cinemas to reopen. Sooner or later they will go the VOD route. I am saying they won't wait longer than the end of March 2021. I might be wrong about the date, but they are certainly not going to wait 10,5 or even just 2 years for cinemas to reopen.
    Besides, recently you said there was no way NTTD would get delayed again, and now you are mentioning a March 2021 release.
    I am still saying NTTD won't get delayed again, I am just not willing to bet 10 THOUSAND Euros that it won't get delayed again. On the other hand, I am willing to bet 10 THOUSAND Euros with anyone here that it will be released before 1 April 2021.

We might even see a mixed theatrical / VOD release. Theatrical release in safe countries, closely followed by a VOD release worldwide.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A theatrical/VOD release is exactly what i said the first time i heard about delays but who knows how it will happen.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 490
    THANK YOU for the kind words my friends. Mom is getting a Covid test tomorrow and Dr. prescribed antibiotics in case it's strep throat or something else. it's alarming that she got sick with anything, even just a cold, because she's been wearing a mask everywhere, wiping down groceries, leaving packages outside, etc. She really went the distance and still managed to catch something. Goes to show that short of dressing up as Bubble Boy, there's really nothing that's 100% going to protect you.

Anyways....loving those new pics of Safin. I fully agree with the idea that he's a reimagined version of a certain villain with Dr. as his title. The only key difference being that Safin seems so much more dangerous. He's shooting at a child in the trailer and pointing gun at someone else in the photos.

He's an actual threat by himself, not just a talking egomaniac with henchmen to do his dirty work.

I said before I was willing to brave the theaters to see this film but now I'm saying no freaking way. VOD all the way for me.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,547
    We are only four months into the U.S. bout with this virus. We have four more months until NTTD's release date. A lot can and will happen between now and then. While a vaccine is not likely to emerge, on a widespread basis, by then, keep your eyes on the emergence of Remdesivir, an effective treatment for COVID-19. Over the next couple of months, the drug may become more widespread, with an inhaled version in the works. This drug does not prevent spread of the virus, but it makes it a lot less fatal.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-remdesivir-covid-treatment.html
    edited July 2020 Posts: 3,018
    ertert wrote: »
    THANK YOU for the kind words my friends. Mom is getting a Covid test tomorrow and Dr. prescribed antibiotics in case it's strep throat or something else. it's alarming that she got sick with anything, even just a cold, because she's been wearing a mask everywhere, wiping down groceries, leaving packages outside, etc. She really went the distance and still managed to catch something. Goes to show that short of dressing up as Bubble Boy, there's really nothing that's 100% going to protect you.

Anyways....loving those new pics of Safin. I fully agree with the idea that he's a reimagined version of a certain villain with Dr. as his title. The only key difference being that Safin seems so much more dangerous. He's shooting at a child in the trailer and pointing gun at someone else in the photos.

He's an actual threat by himself, not just a talking egomaniac with henchmen to do his dirty work.

I said before I was willing to brave the theaters to see this film but now I'm saying no freaking way. VOD all the way for me.

@ertert Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she will get better asap!!

Re: Safin: I assume you mean the frozen lake? He doesn't shoot at young Madeleine while she's fighting for her life in the icy water, he's trying to rescue her by shooting up a wider hole in the ice so can she climb up again only for him to kidnap her. At least that's my take from it.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 490
    Contraband wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »

@ertert Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she will get better asap!!

Re: Safin: I assume you mean the frozen lake? He doesn't shoot at young Madeleine while she's fighting for her life in the icy water, he's trying to rescue her by shooting up a wider hole in the ice so can she climb up again only for him to kidnap her. At least that's my take from it.

Thank you!

Interesting theory. Even so, I still think he's far more dangerous and creepy than Dr. No.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    While waiting for the new Empire Magazine issue, here's the one from April, Bond Special covering the franchise in case you haven't read it. It's the Empire Australasia issue pages 54-78

https://docdro.id/PMUgZA2

This link made my day. Thanks for sharing.
    Not too much new informations about Bond but a good read anyway.
    Unfortunately, the author of the Dr. No part doesn't know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland (Andress has a swedish accent?!). The other strange thing: Wilson and Broccoli talk briefly about the CGI in THAT awful DAD moment and they say something like it worked well???? I hope they improved the CGI standard for NTTD...
    I'm not impressed at all with the CGI-face of Craig in Matera. That brief shot of stuntman David Grant's face jumping of the bridge and same with Enduro rider Paul Edmondson racing on the bike towards the camera That's even on a poster.
    We also had a debate about Safin's submarine pen with Bond/Nomi in the glider, if that was CGI. It turns out the submarine pen and stairwell is a fully constructed set on Pinewood's North Lot (behind 007 stage) but the glider itself in that scene might be CGI.

And although we haven't seen any footage of it yet they also built an old engine room with a roof at Safins bunker on the North Lot while the algaes lab (with creepy things in the tanks) and the good old watertank on 007 stage was used for the massive scene with the weird lights. Plus some add. rooms, stairwells and labyrinth of corridors

Source: Call sheets and BTS stills

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I'm not impressed at all with the CGI-face of Craig in Matera. That brief shot of stuntman David Grant's face jumping of the bridge and same with Enduro rider Paul Edmondson racing on the bike towards the camera That's even on a poster.
    We also had a debate about Safin's submarine pen with Bond/Nomi in the glider, if that was CGI. It turns out the submarine pen and stairwell is a fully constructed set on Pinewood's North Lot (behind 007 stage) but the glider itself in that scene might be CGI.

And although we haven't seen any footage of it yet they also built an old engine room with a roof at Safins bunker on the North Lot while the algaes lab (with creepy things in the tanks) and the good old watertank on 007 stage was used for the massive scene with the weird lights. Plus some add. rooms, stairwells and labyrinth of corridors

Maybe the engine room is where Craig is from that picture that was released a while back. The one where he’s wearing the white Henley with the big cables in the background.
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    Pure speculation here, but based on the footage from the TV spots in February and the new photo from Empire, I think this could be a Garden of Death/gauntlet type scenario.

There are numerous bits of footage and photos showing Bond and Nomi (or Bond alone) making way through Safin's base, as well as numerous confrontations/appearances from Safin. Obviously there's the "men who play God" discussion in Safin's main room, but there's the shot of Safin with his gun in the tunnels, as well as the new photo of him with a gun in what looks like a zen garden of sorts. Bond's outfit also seems to change, with him ditching the navy blue jumper and ending up with a shootout with the white henley/suspenders.

Perhaps the imprisonment that was rumored to be in Boyle/Hodge's script was still maintained, albeit in a smaller way. Could Safin be putting Bond (and Nomi) to the test? The "I've made you redundant" line comes to mind here. I'd be interested to know what you all think.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TripAces wrote: »
    We are only four months into the U.S. bout with this virus. We have four more months until NTTD's release date. A lot can and will happen between now and then. While a vaccine is not likely to emerge, on a widespread basis, by then, keep your eyes on the emergence of Remdesivir, an effective treatment for COVID-19. Over the next couple of months, the drug may become more widespread, with an inhaled version in the works. This drug does not prevent spread of the virus, but it makes it a lot less fatal.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-remdesivir-covid-treatment.html

Sadly, 'the next couple of months' is way too late. If any drug or vaccine were to help improve the situation by November, it needs to be widespread by next week. Anything later and this Remdesivir will be useless to make the virus less fatal. ICU's that reach maximum capacity in some states are multiplying, over 10 states are beating their daily infections record every day, the death-toll is rising again to almost 1,000 per day. The USA are now a lost cause, and the hopelessness of the situation is now likely to continue beyond 2021.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Maybe the engine room is where Craig is from that picture that was released a while back. The one where he’s wearing the white Henley with the big cables in the background.

Aah, that's gotta be the engine room. Bingo!! Think you nailed it.
    Empire Magazine UK, August 2020 Big Screen Issue: Interview with director Cary Fukunaga about the NTTD delay, and why he isn't changing anything now

Pages 56-59
    PDF: https://docdro.id/mmaEWJS

Empire mag covers
    GlkcZqB.jpg
    pIZnkhz.jpg

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Empire Magazine UK, August 2020 Big Screen Issue: Interview with director Cary Fukunaga about the NTTD delay, and why he isn't changing anything now

Pages 56-59
    PDF: https://docdro.id/mmaEWJS

Empire mag covers
    GlkcZqB.jpg
    pIZnkhz.jpg

Thank you very, very much!
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    9c0ywS6.jpg

R9mgYSc.png

High quality rips of the images in the magazine
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Am I the only one who finds NTTD to be some weird kind of "Schrödinger's Cat" thing? The film exists and yet it doesn't; it's not until I have been able to observe the film, that I'll know for sure which it is. :)

All joking aside, this is such a strange thing when you think about it. For years, I have fought those who were sure that there would never be another Craig. I knew there would be. Then we got another Craig, but production didn't go very smooth exactly, so people started saying that it would end up a failure for sure, and I always contested that view. But now, the troubled production has spawned an actual film, promising in every conceivable way to be a great Bond film, and we can't see it. We should have seen it months ago. It's still out there, though. When will we see it? There's a new release date alright, but who knows for sure there won't be other delays altogether? And yet, we have been with this film for so long, looking forward to it even longer, it almost feels like in some dream I can only vaguely remember, I have seen NTTD.

This will arguably be the strangest, craziest experience for Bond fans ever, if you ask me. :)
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,164
    delete
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    VOD is not a sustainable option for a film like NTTD, as I see things.
    matt_u wrote: »
    VOD is not a sustainable option for a film like NTTD, as I see things.

VOD *alone* at this point without an SVOD player paying up 300-400m, yeah definitely not.
    I can't help thinking NTTD is going to get delayed - unless MGM desperately needs some kind of money now surely they would rather release when there's no restrictions of numbers in cinemas and when they can actually do a premiere properly.
    I can't help thinking NTTD is going to get delayed - unless MGM desperately needs some kind of money now surely they would rather release when there's no restrictions of numbers in cinemas and when they can actually do a premiere properly.

Another problem that is rarely mentioned is that even if we look beyond the USA holding everyone hostage, a fair number of countries around the globe are in just as bad a situation as the US.

How much could NTTD make at the box office, being carried only by Europe, Canada, and a few Asian* countries?

* It is possible that China, Japan and South Korea would also be unable to release NTTD in theaters.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,164
    That's where we get the whole chicken and egg situation the industry finds itself in now. Studios won't release blockbusters until the world's cinemas fully reopen and audiences are there and feel safe (in other words, vaccine ideally). Mainstream multiplexes that have over relied for years on blockbusters won't reopen - even if governments give them the green light (and that's another question, in the US and UK should they be allowed to reopen now?) - without them coming imminently. This is why Nolan's doing what he's doing with Tenet, to the audience's, and WB's financial, detriment. But then they still want a global day and date release for that and the US is on fire so those reopenings are pushed back and then therefore the film is. While cinemas elsewhere in the world where they didn't screw up with the virus are allowed open, coild be operating safely...but instead are being forced to open as governments expect them to along with rest of the economy but they don't have anything to show.

Add to all of that - debt laden multinational chains going bankrupt if they are forced to remain closed until the end of the year. At least in the UK the independent and arthouse venues are part of a 1.5bn pound arts bailout.

That's the situation we find ourselves in right now. No easy solutions. Ideally there would have been away for cinemas to be able to stay closed all across the world until a vaccine but alas...plus certain governments cocked things up with the virus royally. I have a feeling we are in for some major major shakeups in how films, particularly blockbusters, are gonna be released, with what the future of cinemas themselves will be...
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Over here in Germany, movie theatres do re-open slowly but steadily.And the number of infectiones people is decreasing, also the number of death people in connection with Covis19 (still under 10 000) But the most vital country in that regard are the United States, where the president still seems deisive of not taking Covid19 seriously. Oh, and Brazil, too. What coud lead to further delay will depend on the development in the UK, Italy, and France. If they manage to handle it, at least a release in Europe might be possible, but with the US, and with MGM and Universal being American companies, the prospects are worrying. Not only for Bond, but in every aspect.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    NTTD won’t ever come out only in Europe and a couple of other countries while not in the US, Brazil and China. I don’t see it happening.