No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Ah man and I thought no one was actually gonna run a news story on this...haha

Here’s to the next 5 months folks :P
    mtm wrote: »
    Killing Bond is not the only way of achieving an ending similar to what you are describing, and is in fact the weakest one they could possibly come up with. Bond is a constant in the world. Killing him would take away the magic from the cinematic version of the character, and would taint his durability as an icon. He is always there when we need him! I really hope this is not what they have decided to do, as it will automatically drop NTTD in my estimation regardless of how well made it is.

Completely.

Plus, if he dies then comes back (rebooted or whatever), does that mean he'll by dying every few years?
    It's daft to kill off Bond unless it's the end of the series.
    James Bond will return!! That's what it says. And it should always say that.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Someone wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    So the girl called Mathilda is 5 years old. Since 5 years passed between SP/Matera and Bond in Jamaica is basically confirmed that this girl is Bond and Swann’s daughter and not a clone of Madeleine.

Five year old clone.

The idea that the kid has been created the same year Bond entered Swann’s life sounds even more stupid.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    I'm still holding back re: Matilde on my twitter. Haven't mentioned her at all. Or tweeted out those two call sheets..
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The_Return wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don't think so @Mendes4Lyfe. We got this guy to look forward to :)

maxresdefault.jpg
    I don't think any serious person is looking forward to Gregg Wilson taking over the franchise.
    What makes you say that?
    Knowing how often Barbara and Michael had to clean up his mess, I don't trust him.

@The_Return -- what "mess" did Gregg make? I'm seriously curious about this. I know on NTTD he was working round the clock to lock down the beautiful locations we have to look forward to in the new film. He's been working side by side with BB and MGW. They have given him more and more responsibility with each film.

So what "mess" are you talking about? And where did you receive your intel? It looks like MGW will be stepping aside, but his son will be working with BB for the foreseeable future.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I never liked the idea of killing-off Bond.....even if it's done with Subtlety. Cubby paid attention to other films around him, but not entirely.....he still did his own thing. Killing-off Bond, would further confirm that EON don't entirely trust their Pace-Setting ideas anymore....they feel threatened by other franchises, which is not how Bond usually operates. Films usually copy from Bond & still do, and it should stay that way, not Bond copying from other films.

I just can't see the real necessity to kill-off Bond, whether they want Craig to be the first Bond actor to win an Oscar....I don't know, but I can't think of any other reason.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 15,803
    So the girl called Mathilda is 5 years old. Since 5 years passed between SP/Matera and Bond in Jamaica is basically confirmed that this girl is Bond and Swann’s daughter and not a clone of Madeleine.

Five year old clone.

The idea that the kid has been created the same year Bond entered Swann’s life sounds even more stupid.

Not so sure about the whole kid idea. Can't really judge until I see the final film, but somehow Bond and kids don't seem to mix for me. Maybe Mathilda could evolve into kind of a sidekick that Bond has a rapport with? Like Short Round in TEMPLE OF DOOM?
    BTW: Havana and the Spectre party:

Has the been any discussion in here at all about Nomi standing on the second balcony floor, shooting at baddies, with the scientist Valdo and his metal case next to her while Bond in tux doing his shooting on street level?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Not sure what sounds better at this point. A child of Bond’s or a clone. I just feel like children don’t belong in a Bond movie.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited June 2020 Posts: 469
    Contraband wrote: »
    BTW: Havana and the Spectre party:

Has the been any discussion in here at all about Nomi standing on the second balcony floor, shooting at baddies, with the scientist Valdo and his metal case next to her while Bond in tux doing his shooting on street level?

No, not yet to my knowledge. We've only seen Nomi outside in the trailers, but she does not appear to be followed by Valdo.

The only things we've seen of Valdo is the photo of him cowering behind Nomi, and his character poster.

James-Bond-Daniel-Craig-No-Time-To-Die-Lashana-Lynch.jpg
    @phantomvices I'm gonna post the details tomorrow and explain
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Honestly I don't mind the idea that
    Craig might be a father in the end. The bloke bloody deserves a decent life after everything he's gone through. To transcend his fate as a cold-blooded spy is a sweet ending in this regard. To see Bond, now 50 something, still going back to his old ways in the end just screams "MEH" to me.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,554
    Craig might be a father in the end. The bloke bloody deserves a decent life after everything he's gone through. To transcend his fate as a cold-blooded spy is a sweet ending in this regard. To see Bond, now 50 something, still going back to his old ways in the end just screams "MEH" to me.

I agree. This would all mirror Danial Craig's own life trajectory, wouldn't it? Of course.

I don't think he'll be killed off. I think it will be Madeleine who dies.

We'll get a send-off that is a spin on the traditional ending: Bond will ride off with the girl...except that the girl is his daughter.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    TripAces wrote: »

I agree. This would all mirror Danial Craig's own life trajectory, wouldn't it? Of course.

We'll get a send-off that is a spin on the traditional ending: Bond will ride off with the girl...except that the girl is his daughter.

Bond becomes a single dad. B-)

• phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    @phantomvices I'm gonna post the details tomorrow and explain

Can't wait. Thanks for all the delicious content over the last few days.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If this "child of Bond" stuff is true, it would make a nice little arc with the previous two films:
    Skyfall - Mother (Bond, and M)
    Spectre - Father (Bond, Franz, and Hannes)
    NTTD - Children (Madeleine as a child, Bond's alleged child)
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Still not very keen on Bond having a child (if that’s how this all plays out). I hope it’s properly executed.

She's a clone of Madeleine.

Not certain. And Bond jumping off the bridge in Matera in the trailer definitely doesn’t look like someone faking his own death.

Bond lands hard on the first level of that bridge

His landing under the Matera bridge is seen in one of the TV spots.

Nope. On the first level. I have the BTS stills taken by a local guy

Oh, could you be more pedantic. He lands under the bit people drive and walk on. Yeesh.

Just admit it. You we're wrong.

Anyway. He comes out here:

8yzUprw.jpg
    RiZ6f8Q.jpg
    LhDkoUG.jpg
    w83Ho5b.jpg

He's clearly exiting at the base of the bridge. I'd call that under the bridge, he's under the bit that bridges the gap and people walk and drive on. Bridges are simple concepts, you can understand, just try. When a pilot flies under a bridge he's not flying underground is he.
    Not sure what sounds better at this point. A child of Bond’s or a clone. I just feel like children don’t belong in a Bond movie.

Indeed. This sounds a bit too television soap opera to me. Nothing to do whatsoever with Bond. Still, need to see it first to judge. I don't know. Maybe it's the kind of plot John Gardner could have come up with? Maybe the kid tries to sell Craig an elephant during some mediocre boat chase and he tosses her into a river?
    Purvis and Wade could have come up with an ending where Bond retires to pursue a career as a country music singer and I'd probably feel the same as I do about this.

Doesn't matter. We still have several months to go before we see the film. I'm hoping my enthusiasm picks back up then. I'd love to see a new trailer.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Still not very keen on Bond having a child (if that’s how this all plays out). I hope it’s properly executed.

Not certain. And Bond jumping off the bridge in Matera in the trailer definitely doesn’t look like someone faking his own death.

Oh, could you be more pedantic. He lands under the bit people drive and walk on. Yeesh.

8yzUprw.jpg
    RiZ6f8Q.jpg
    LhDkoUG.jpg
    w83Ho5b.jpg

He's clearly exiting at the base of the bridge. I'd call that under the bridge, he's under the bit that bridges the gap and people walk and drive on. Bridges are simple concepts, you can understand, just try. When a pilot flies under a bridge he's not flying underground is he.

This is probably not worth putting your flag on. Move on.

8yzUprw.jpg
    RiZ6f8Q.jpg
    LhDkoUG.jpg
    w83Ho5b.jpg

This is getting ridiculous. The base of a bridge is water level or ground level. And that is exactly what you thought from the beginning. And even if the first level is not open for people it's still not under the bridge. Under the bridge starts at the ground, under the first level.

Moving on
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    TripAces wrote: »

Nope, Madeleine won’t die. Scene 235 is “Nomi pilots Madeleine and Mathilde to safety with island in the background” (clearly after the final showdown) and scene 252 is “Madeleine is goin to tell Mathilde a story, they drive into a tunnel” shot in Italy.

Anyway I don’t see Bond dying in a film titled No Time to Die with the JB will return card right after the last scene. A fake death like TDKR or a conclusion like YOLT with Bond presumed dead perhaps without remembering his own identity seems far more likely to me.
    peter wrote: »
    I don't think so @Mendes4Lyfe. We got this guy to look forward to :)

maxresdefault.jpg
    I don't think any serious person is looking forward to Gregg Wilson taking over the franchise.
    What makes you say that?
    Knowing how often Barbara and Michael had to clean up his mess, I don't trust him.

@The_Return -- what "mess" did Gregg make? I'm seriously curious about this. I know on NTTD he was working round the clock to lock down the beautiful locations we have to look forward to in the new film. He's been working side by side with BB and MGW. They have given him more and more responsibility with each film.

So what "mess" are you talking about? And where did you receive your intel? It looks like MGW will be stepping aside, but his son will be working with BB for the foreseeable future.
    The stories I have heard happened during the making of Spectre, so it might be an exception.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

8yzUprw.jpg
    RiZ6f8Q.jpg
    LhDkoUG.jpg
    w83Ho5b.jpg

Grown-ups can admit when they're wrong, Someone.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited June 2020 Posts: 574
    At first when I was really excited about the trailer I thought Bond was faking his death but then I realised that it just didn't fit the narrative. It would be too Skyfall-ish in more ways than one. Plus, it seems to me like the sequence of events which after some thought I believe are as follows:
    • Bond visits Vesper's grave on foot
    • Grave blows up
    • Bond runs back while being pursued
    • Bond jumps off the bridge
    • Bond gets to the DB5
    • DB5 action sequence galore
    • Bond goes to the train station to put Madeleine on the train.
    • Bond goes to live his secluded life in Jamaica.

If he faked his death I don't see why Leiter or Nomi or anyone would really have the idea to try and find where ever he is. I mean, it's possible if they didn't believe he would "simply die" but it just wouldn't really fit all that well, especially if we consider it would mean him being "dead" for five years.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Maybe it’s possible Fukunaga did shoot different endings after all. That call sheet that was posted could detail one of the endings with
    Madeline & Mathilde.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400
    I'm into this idea. It's fairly subversive to have the girl from the previous film turn up and say "I'm pregnant." Just imagine how awkward that would be for the serial womaniser that is James Bond. Usually this bloke shags every woman he meets and wanders off on his next mission.

MI6 seemingly confirming this is either a cloned child or Bond's daughter. So the rumoured ending has hints of Endgame.

i-love-you-3000.gif
    dd5495a7ad13afb91a36f7e89872a32ebb592969.gifv
    I do wish these constant comparisons with super-hero movies would stop. Bond is a drama based on a literary character, not sci-fi based on kid's comics.
    Just like he can't die then come back the next movie like nothing's happened in a Star Trek 'alternate universe' type way.
    Just to clarify what I wrote above ... I'm worried that cinema audiences are now so used to characters dying and re-booting, that this will affect NTTD and they will actually kill him off, and I'd come out the movie on a great big downer.
    And then, when they have the next Bond movie, nothing will matter. No danger will mean anything, because he's already died once and come back. Know what I mean?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I do wish these constant comparisons with super-hero movies would stop. Bond is a drama based on a literary character, not sci-fi based on kid's comics.

It's action-adventure based on some fun airport novels :)
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I don't care it if will be 'interesting' to see a serial womaniser and bachelor like Bond being faced with a child and domestication. It's stupid, and sounds like the plot of a bad 1980s sitcom. Bond is supposed to defy domestication. He can't be tamed.

I know Fleming flirted with these ideas (and never went completely through with it). But the films, I think, are a different beast.

Also, Bond doesn't deserve to live in peace. He knows it. That's why he lives the fast lifestyle he does. The price he pays for doing the often morally dubious job he does is to forego family etc.

The focus on 'family' seems to be a very American influence that I am not taken with at all...Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible, Marvel, Lethal Weapon, The Walking Dead etc, they all emphasise the surrogate family. I get people seem to like it, but I find it incredibly boring, cosy, and lacking in any sense of danger. The attraction of Bond is that, until now, he's independent.