No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I think SP & DAF are the two film's where it feels like the lead actor wasn't at all interested to play it. The reason it seems boring because it lacks the same energy SF had, even though SF had some of it's flaws but all actors looked really alive in that.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Fun article which broadens out the problems we have discussed involving NTTD and the continuing story arc.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20200430-star-wars-why-the-empire-strikes-back-is-overrated

It basically says that Empire started the fetish for revelations and ongoing instalments of a franchise.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    All I can say regarding the issues of continuity and an ongoing arc (I don't think it has worked out particularly well creatively, either) is that any of the things that haven't been done well in this era will either be done better in the next or abandoned entirely. So you only really have to endure one more film before a new group of films, more to your personal taste, hopefully arrives!
    All I can say regarding the issues of continuity and an ongoing arc (I don't think it has worked out particularly well creatively, either) is that any of the things that haven't been done well in this era will either be done better in the next or abandoned entirely. So you only really have to endure one more film before a new group of films, more to your personal taste, hopefully arrives!

I'll be dead by the time Bond 26 comes out the way things are going.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Fun article which broadens out the problems we have discussed involving NTTD and the continuing story arc.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20200430-star-wars-why-the-empire-strikes-back-is-overrated

It basically says that Empire started the fetish for revelations and ongoing instalments of a franchise.

That article is awful. Continuity itself is not the issue. The issue is that NTTD is following up on what many consider the worst film of the official series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Well, that's just pessimistic. ;)

Well, that's just pessimistic. ;)

Or optimistic depending on how NTTD turns out...lol
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I was actually very excited when Danny Boyle was named Director....coz I like his directing style & his Script was possibly a Standalone Bond Adventure. But I would like to believe Cary won't continue SP's narrative, if he felt it wasn't going the right direction. Coz SP really disappointed 85% of Bond fans. It's a very Brave route Cary took, but fingers crossed....NTTD will come out good. One thing I noticed is, must of us don't really like what we've seen from NTTD's trailers.... but it's just a trailer, not the full film though.

Am sure we still remembered SP's teaser trailer very well, it seemed as if the stakes were extremely high, Bond in serious peril & all that. Mr White even telling Bond he's a kite dancing in a Hurricane & Blofeld's Voice speaking from the darkness. But we all saw how the full film turned out to be. It seems NTTD could easily be the opposite of that.....unsatisfying trailers, but great film.
    I find the trailer of NTTD extremely satisfying, certainly much more satisfying than any trailer of SP or QOS.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    mtm wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    There’s a specific thread for complaining about everything.

I thought that was all of the threads! :D

giphy.gif
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,247
    TripAces wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    There’s a specific thread for complaining about everything.

I thought that was all of the threads! :D

giphy.gif

Most forceful film laughter ever. :)

Maybe Kananga's laughter when he invites Bond & Solitaire into his Lair might just edge it.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8276207/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Jodie-Cromer-sweet-playing-Miss-Honey-Matilda.html

“It's the big screen or nothing for Bond. The picture certainly won't be launched on a computer screen or an iPhone. 'If it has to wait till next year then so be it,' I was told by a close source. 'There are hundreds of millions of dollars involved here. Release it when audiences feel safe to return. But it's a nerve-racking call.'

Meanwhile I'm hearing good things (as you would, I guess) from the tiny number of people lucky enough to have been allowed to see it.”

I’m on board if NTTD gets delayed to 2021. If the box office health is ensured by doing it then let’s wait. I also want Bond on the big screen. It’s Daniel Craig’s last Bond film and a definitive finish to a two-decade story arc. It deserves a place at the cinema. I think audiences understand the delays given the worldwide circumstances.

Burgess wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8276207/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Jodie-Cromer-sweet-playing-Miss-Honey-Matilda.html

“It's the big screen or nothing for Bond. The picture certainly won't be launched on a computer screen or an iPhone. 'If it has to wait till next year then so be it,' I was told by a close source. 'There are hundreds of millions of dollars involved here. Release it when audiences feel safe to return. But it's a nerve-racking call.'

Meanwhile I'm hearing good things (as you would, I guess) from the tiny number of people lucky enough to have been allowed to see it.”

I’m on board if NTTD gets delayed to 2021. If the box office health is ensured by doing it then let’s wait. I also want Bond on the big screen. It’s Daniel Craig’s last Bond film and a definitive finish to a two-decade story arc. It deserves a place at the cinema. I think audiences understand the delays given the worldwide circumstances.

I think a delay to 2021 is looking all but inevitable.
    Can’t say I’m too happy about that. I understand the profits and stuff but it doesn’t mean fans can’t be frustrated with this. We’re looking at LTK-GE break territory here. This is not something I’m excited about, since I have my reservations about NTTD already due to the ties to SP and some comments from cast and crew. I’d rather have it on demand tomorrow to be quite honest, and I’m usually all about that theater and IMAX experience. I’m just not convinced the wait will be worth it unfortunately.
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    Can’t say I’m too happy about that. I understand the profits and stuff but it doesn’t mean fans can’t be frustrated with this. We’re looking at LTK-GE break territory here. This is not something I’m excited about, since I have my reservations about NTTD already due to the ties to SP and some comments from cast and crew. I’d rather have it on demand tomorrow to be quite honest, and I’m usually all about that theater and IMAX experience. I’m just not convinced the wait will be worth it unfortunately.

Indeed, after all these delays it had better be a bloody good Bond film.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 614
    We’re looking at LTK-GE break territory here. This is not something I’m excited about, since I have my reservations about NTTD already due to the ties to SP and some comments from cast and crew.

"Hey everyone! Enjoy this NEW Bond film, which is a direct sequel to something no one liked from 6 years ago starring an over the hill Bond!"

Not exactly GOLDENEYE, is it?
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400

Baz has spoken......interesting that this is not the first occasion that Baz has suggested the film is terrific. Why tease us, Baz! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I know people want NTTD now. I get it.....but I want the ceremony and occasion of its release. If that means a 2021 release.....then so be.......

In terms, of a further delay. It seems highly inevitable that Universal/MGM would sooner make the decision to delay to 2021 if November is not an option. For the following reasons:
    1. The biggest revenue for blockbuster films is theatres. It's the opportunity to make a gross of $1 billion which would increase the share price of the company (even if the net profit of the film would be less), in turn this ensures the longevity of the studio.
    2. There will be a lack of 2021/2022 product as the shutdown impacts the way the film/TV industry work. The worst case scenario is that production is shut down till April 2021. Which means no new films till the end of 2021 at the earliest. The best thing to do is move product you have available to a time it is financially viable opposed to make a loss on it now.
    3. VOD means making a loss.

Bond won't go to VOD. It be the equivalent of someone giving away £1 and someone telling you that the maximum return you can get on that investment tomorrow would be 50p, alternatively you could wait and get a return of £1000 on £1 in April next year. You simply would wait. It's a very simple analogy and the numbers in actuality are considerably higher. But it's the same economic principle why NTTD won't go to VOD.

Simply put, they have spent a stupid amount of money on this film - $250 million (!) - these silly budgets mean films like Bond, Wonder Woman, Black Widow simply can't avoid the risk.

Furthermore, we have had positive news on a vaccine, we have word that therapeutics are effective on the virus and the word today is that the US have developed an impressive testing equipment.

Hollywood is very slowly getting on its feet. Antelbellum (from Liongate) and due for release in April just got a new date in August.....If anything NTTD should snatch Venom's October date!

Escalus5 wrote: »
    We’re looking at LTK-GE break territory here. This is not something I’m excited about, since I have my reservations about NTTD already due to the ties to SP and some comments from cast and crew.

"Hey everyone! Enjoy this NEW Bond film, which is a direct sequel to something no one liked from 6 years ago starring an over the hill Bond!"

Right...could be better. I say that a massive fan of the film.

Baz has spoken......interesting that this is not the first occasion that Baz has suggested the film is terrific. Why tease us, Baz! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I know people want NTTD now. I get it.....but I want the ceremony and occasion of its release. If that means a 2021 release.....then so be.......

In terms, of a further delay. It seems highly inevitable that Universal/MGM would sooner make the decision to delay to 2021 if November is not an option. For the following reasons:
    1. The biggest revenue for blockbuster films is theatres. It's the opportunity to make a gross of $1 billion which would increase the share price of the company (even if the net profit of the film would be less), in turn this ensures the longevity of the studio.
    2. There will be a lack of 2021/2022 product as the shutdown impacts the way the film/TV industry work. The worst case scenario is that production is shut down till April 2021. Which means no new films till the end of 2021 at the earliest. The best thing to do is move product you have available to a time it is financially viable opposed to make a loss on it now.
    3. VOD means making a loss.

Bond won't go to VOD. It be the equivalent of someone giving away £1 and someone telling you that the maximum return you can get on that investment tomorrow would be 50p, alternatively you could wait and get a return of £1000 on £1 in April next year. You simply would wait. It's a very simple analogy and the numbers in actuality are considerably higher. But it's the same economic principle why NTTD won't go to VOD.

Simply put, they have spent a stupid amount of money on this film - $250 million (!) - these silly budgets mean films like Bond, Wonder Woman, Black Widow simply can't avoid the risk.

Furthermore, we have had positive news on a vaccine, we have word that therapeutics are effective on the virus and the word today is that the US have developed an impressive testing equipment.

Hollywood is very slowly getting on its feet. Antelbellum (from Liongate) and due for release in April just got a new date in August.....If anything NTTD should snatch Venom's October date!

Or July 2021. Mission Impossible just moved from the date to November of that year.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'm in the US, this morning on the radio an industry insider (= Operator of a Drive-In movie theater) said business is booming. He has two screens, shows are selling out, he appreciates the support. Trolls World Tour, Onward. [Coming Soon: The Invisible Man.]

He also mentioned regular theaters are re-opening July. Quite a personable fellow, I enjoyed listening to him.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    TripAces wrote: »
    I can live with, and even like, the flaws of previous Bond films if they are made with the right intentions. If it's a moment of naffness, or it's outdated, or a camp tone etc. then I don't mind. But I think with Craig's films that they genuinely believe they are making better films than what came during the pre-Craig era. There's a certain smugness, as if they are being made by people who don't like James Bond films. (I don't get this with CR - i think that one is incredible).

Consider the moment in SF when Q makes the exploding pen quip. Ok, it's quite funny I suppose. But it would have been even funnier, and far less smug, if they had included a moment later in the film where Bond could have done with an exploding pen - such as when he's in the tube tunnel and can't get through the door with the train coming; "You know what I could do with now Q? An exploding pen." - that sort of thing.

I think that by giving all the power over to the director, there is far too much emphasis on a single vision that never used to be the case when Broccoli and Saltzman would come up with ideas for set pieces etc. I genuinely don't believe for one second that Forster or Mendes are fans of James Bond, or have any appreciation of the history or what fans might like.

I say all this knowing that evolution is inevitable and necessary, and that you don't need die hard fans of the franchise directing to make good films (and might even be counter productive). I am just giving my thoughts.

I still have hopes for NTTD of course, and everyone involved in production is making the right noises, but personally I don't really like where it seems they are taking it and for the first time ever I am not looking forward to seeing what its like.

$1.2B at the box office. I think Mendes knew Bond pretty damn well and knew what Bond fans might like.
    Imagine thinking that Bond fans are more numerous than general audience.
    I have a hunch if the film were delayed until 2021, we'd have to wait until November of next year.
    By then the film would have sat on the shelf collecting dust for more than a year and a half.
    Then we'd be in for another lengthy break afterwards.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I have a hunch if the film were delayed until 2021, we'd have to wait until November of next year.
    By then the film would have sat on the shelf collecting dust for more than a year and a half.
    Hearing a nearly two year old Billie Eilish song as the theme will certainly be strange.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

I certainly hope not.

Despite GE held up as some kind of Bond watermark by some, bearing in mind I like it more than I did back 1995 and it is still PB's best entry, I imagine NTTD will be infinitely better.

Although you continue to diss Craig at least his accent stays the same throughout his tenure.

Bearing in mind I rank SPECTRE at no. 24. Gives you an idea of my opinion of Pierce's entries.

I know bitchy.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    -
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Although you continue to diss Craig at least his accent stays the same throughout his tenure
    Hey, don't diss the Irish accent -_-

It's something of a drinking game for me to spot when it comes through!

Agent_One wrote: »
    Hearing a nearly two year old Billie Eilish song as the theme will certainly be strange.

Especially if her 15 minutes pass and no one remembers her by the time the film is released.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526

Especially if her 15 minutes pass and no one remembers her by the time the film is released.

This doesn't seem too likely. She is a very talented singer (her synesthesia helps) and she and her brother are talented hitmakers.

This doesn't seem too likely. She is a very talented singer (her synesthesia helps) and she and her brother are talented hitmakers.

Yeah. I was pretty much joking. She'll be around quite awhile.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Yeah. I was pretty much joking. She'll be around quite awhile.

Fair enough! It's always a possibility of course.
  • peterpeter Toronto

@Escalus5 -- whether NTTD is released now or in '21, why bother watching it? Just save yourself and move on. Enjoy the previous films you like.