No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Shardlake wrote: »
    They should just reboot but not bother with origins just start it with Bond knowing M, Q and Moneypenny, start the next era as we are dropping in on an established Bond like Dr No started.

I just don't think carrying on this timeline after DC is gone is a good idea, although I feel this will be a full stop, so they'll have no choice.

As ever...+1 ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Univex wrote: »
    They should just reboot but not bother with origins just start it with Bond knowing M, Q and Moneypenny, start the next era as we are dropping in on an established Bond like Dr No started.

I just don't think carrying on this timeline after DC is gone is a good idea, although I feel this will be a full stop, so they'll have no choice.

As ever...+1 ;)

Ditto...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,484
    Because of the unique nature of the Craig era, @Shardlake , this would be the best way to re-start the next 007's tenure. Absolutely agree... No hold-overs. This era feels like it will be the first full stop of the franchise, so...

I'm inclined to agree. So many traditions have been played around with or broken in the Craig era I now seriously doubt if any of the regulars will be held over into the next cycle.
    I personally would prefer if B26 gives us the classic MI6 staff : Major Boothroyd, Sir Miles Messervy and Moneypenny rather than the revisionist characters of the Craig films.
  • echo wrote: »
    I think B26 should carry on with the Craig continuity and mention the past only when the story warrants it (Vesper, although it's overdone lately; Blofeld, etc.). No need to hit the Brothergate note again--only we obsessive fans will remember that anyway.

Going forward, Eon should just ignore what didn't ultimately work from CR-SP, just as they did with Sylvia Trench.
    No way this can work, they've already established an aging Bond in the Craig era.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    echo wrote: »
    I think B26 should carry on with the Craig continuity and mention the past only when the story warrants it (Vesper, although it's overdone lately; Blofeld, etc.). No need to hit the Brothergate note again--only we obsessive fans will remember that anyway.

Going forward, Eon should just ignore what didn't ultimately work from CR-SP, just as they did with Sylvia Trench.
    No way this can work, they've already established an aging Bond in the Craig era.

+1
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Why would it?
    It's a completely different film, in no way attached to the Bond series.
    The only connection is that it's made by EON.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Benny wrote: »

Why would it?
    It's a completely different film, in no way attached to the Bond series.
    The only connection is that it's made by EON.

That's what I mean EON
    So how does a film that EON makes outside the Bond series, translate to NTTD?
    Absolutely will have no bearing on how good or bad NTTD is.

I don't know it's not encouraging though.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126
    FoxRox wrote: »

Yeah your right.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,864

Why though? EON have made 24 other Bond films before NTTD, TRS is a film EON have made outside the Bond series. It has no connection to the Bond series.

Yeah your right.

And now you're contradicting yourself.

EDIT -

I'll also add that this has nothing to do with the production of NTTD.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

The average person isn't aware of The Rhythm Section or at least its connection to Bond.

Everyone knows who Bond is, which is why none out of the 24 so far have flopped. I understand there's an instinct to worry, but it's like worrying that you're going to die because you sprained your baby finger.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Sometimes, I ask myself if TRS was necessary....am not surprised the reviews are this bad though....it was looking like a film we've seen so many times....i.e The Bourne Series & Atomic Blonde. And it looks like the presence of Bad Boys For Life might not help it's Box-office Numbers. Am not sure, but part of me can't help but think Eon did TRS to see how a female-led action film would fare....to maybe have a female director for a future Bond film or maybe some sort of more female presence in future Bond films....not saying it's Bad.....but Bond is still the man....the balance only needs to be gotten right. They got it so right with Vesper....and she didn't even need to be combative.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

The average person isn't aware of The Rhythm Section or at least its connection to Bond.

Everyone knows who Bond is, which is why none out of the 24 so far have flopped. I understand there's an instinct to worry, but it's like worrying that you're going to die because you sprained your baby finger.

Heck, the average person doesn’t even know what EON is. Any bloke would just assume Bond is wholly run by that old studio with the lion.

Heck, the average person doesn’t even know what EON is. Any bloke would just assume Bond is wholly run by that old studio with the lion.

Oh, so true.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

:)) This is very true, heard this so many times.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Love that guy.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

Leo the Lion - MGM's trademark
    Just imagine if MGM hadn’t sold off it’s pre-1986 film library to Ted Turner, they’d be a much hotter property for Apple to buy!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think he knows that but was being flip.

Only that it is MGMs legendary trademark. Pretty sure he didn't knew the lions name. Not many do, or care.
    Just imagine if MGM hadn’t sold off it’s pre-1986 film library to Ted Turner, they’d be a much hotter property for Apple to buy!

Off topic: Or even worse, selling off the actual studio in 1969 and trashing the historic backlot. Now part of Sony picture's parking lot plus a residential area.

The producers' apparently lackadaisical approach to the screenplay doesn't bode particularly well. It's a nagging suspicion of mine that EON have a real blind spot when it comes to the quality of writing on their films. Hopefully CJF has injected a bit of discipline on NTTD.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,043
    Getafix wrote: »

The producers' apparently lackadaisical approach to the screenplay doesn't bode particularly well. It's a nagging suspicion of mine that EON have a real blind spot when it comes to the quality of writing on their films. Hopefully CJF has injected a bit of discipline on NTTD.

I'm not spotting a problem with the screenplay with NTTD, quite the opposite. They appear to have taken real thought and consideration this time round rather than getting their nuts and bolts team in to polish a proper screenwriters work like they did with SPECTRE.

They appeared to have learnt from that mistake and the talent on board CJF, Burns & Waller Bridge, that there won't be much left of P&W outline.

I'm confident a good percentage of P&W's fingerprints have been erased and a more talented and dynamic voice will be heard in this film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Getafix wrote: »

I'm not spotting a problem with the screenplay with NTTD, quite the opposite. They appear to have taken real thought and consideration this time round rather than getting their nuts and bolts team in to polish a proper screenwriters work like they did with SPECTRE.

They appeared to have learnt from that mistake and the talent on board CJF, Burns & Waller Bridge, that there won't be much left of P&W outline.

I'm confident a good percentage of P&W's fingerprints have been erased and a more talented and dynamic voice will be heard in this film.

Agreed-- CJF needed time to take the script that was there from P&W, and it sounds like a page one. Which is his MO, and why there was a falling out with Nick Pizzolatto, the writer of True Detective (apparently CF came on board and started to make significant re-writes to each episode; that's why many believe the writing on the subsequent seasons had a major drop off after CF finished S1)).

Once NTTD was in a shape that was agreeable, that's when the powerhouses Burns and then Waller-Bridge were brought on.

As you say, this film will have a dynamic (and I think, unique) voice(s)...
    Contraband wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think he knows that but was being flip.

Only that it is MGMs legendary trademark. Pretty sure he didn't knew the lions name. Not many do, or care.

I do know it’s Leo’s name, I’m just humorously reflecting how casual viewers likely perceive MGM and it’s relationship with Bond. Heck I’m sure some probably think Bond is really a Sony product and will be very confused when they see the Universal logo.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    It's funny how Daniel Craig is set to join Pierce Brosnan....as a former Bond....how time flies.