No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,869
    @Pierce2Daniel its possible, although considering the online buzz about the two of them, it’d probably be better to put him with Rami Malek. Might make for some great moments :)
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 677
    mtm wrote: »

Well if you’re saying all of these people working extremely hard over the past decade or so did a bad job I think it’s reasonable to ask why you’d say that about them. But instead you’re just having a go at me.
    That might have been reasonable but not when you start by being dismissive with "who cares?" and then backpedal to "explain yourself" and then you go to "it doesn't matter as much as you think it does". Who is having a go at who? ;) I'm done with this subject.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,944

Well if you’re saying all of these people working extremely hard over the past decade or so did a bad job I think it’s reasonable to ask why you’d say that about them. But instead you’re just having a go at me.
    That might have been reasonable but not when you start by being dismissive with "who cares?" and then backpedal to "explain yourself" and then you go to "it doesn't matter as much as you think it does". Who is having a go at who? ;) I'm done with this subject.

Well I didn’t call you any names like ‘smug’, so it’s you having a go at me, yes. I think maybe if you considered it you might think that doing it the old way isn’t the only way to make a great score. There’s personal preference (I’ve enjoyed it too; who hasn’t?) but then there’s being dismissive of something for an arbitrary reason and just being stuck to the past. Does the audience really care if they hear that tune all the time or not? Or do they need a soundscape which puts them in the right frame of mind for the movie they’re watching? You can answer or just attack me again.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I wish by now they could just come out and say "the trailer will release on December 6th" or whenever, so at least we know how much longer we must wait. They need to start and make people aware that a Bond movie is a matter of months away.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 677
    Well I didn’t call you any names like ‘smug’, so it’s you having a go at me, yes. I think maybe if you considered it you might think that doing it the old way isn’t the only way to make a great score. There’s personal preference (I’ve enjoyed it too; who hasn’t?) but then there’s being dismissive of something for an arbitrary reason and just being stuck to the past. Does the audience really care if they hear that tune all the time or not? Or do they need a soundscape which puts them in the right frame of mind for the movie they’re watching? You can answer or just attack me again.
    It seems like you need a refresher of how this conversation went down because no one ever made the point you are arguing against.

Tuck91 said the song may be interwoven in the score. MakeshiftPython said it's unlikely. You said every Craig score featured the song's melody. You were corrected by ColonelSun and CraigMooreOHMSS that there's a difference between merely featuring the song and the song being interwoven.

You proceeded to say who cares.

That was it. No one said films were ruined because of the lack of an interwoven song. Maybe consider the nuances, the middle ground, and consider that just because something doesn't ruin a film doesn't mean there isn't improvement for it, maybe?

I mean, if your answer to preferring anything from the old movies is "you're stuck in the past" then there's no point in having a conversation. I'm sure most of us think there is actual quality to the old Bond movies.

Mass audiences also probably don't care to hear the Bond theme, to see the Gunbarrel at the beginning, but why should that mean I shouldn't care? I'm NOT mass audiences, I'm a Bond fan.

As for "why", since it's a matter of sound and I can only speak personally, the Bond scores with that element are generally more pleasing to my ear and therefore I associate it with "better" Bond scores. That's it.
  • RC7RC7
    I wish by now they could just come out and say "the trailer will release on December 6th" or whenever, so at least we know how much longer we must wait. They need to start and make people aware that a Bond movie is a matter of months away.

Not really. New year, yes.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,126
    RC7 wrote: »

Ringing in the New Year will definitely be a joyous event. Where as before I could careless. Maybe its because Bond and the Olympics are in the same year.
  • RC7RC7
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Ringing in the New Year will definitely be a joyous event. Where as before I could careless. Maybe its because Bond and the Olympics are in the same year.

There’s a psychological shift for most people in the new year so it makes sense to really build momentum from January forward. If they release a trailer next month it’s a nice Christmas present.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I don’t really mind; it’ll come when it comes and be a nice surprise then. We’ve all got other things to get on with until then! :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It seems like you need a refresher of how this conversation went down because no one ever made the point you are arguing against.

Tuck91 said the song may be interwoven in the score. MakeshiftPython said it's unlikely. You said every Craig score featured the song's melody. You were corrected by ColonelSun and CraigMooreOHMSS that there's a difference between merely featuring the song and the song being interwoven.

Right? What’s your point? Like I say, why would the majority care if it’s all the way through it or just featured? It’s a nice to have but not essential. Some things matter and some don’t.
    As for being corrected: I was correcting the assertion that they hadn’t been featured in the scores, in reply to a post about whether the song is in this score. That someone nitpicked the difference between ‘featured’ and ‘interwoven’ (which had no relevance to the point being discussed) deserved an (admittedly brusque) ‘who cares?’. I dislike pedantry.
    That was it. No one said films were ruined because of the lack of an interwoven song. Maybe consider the nuances, the middle ground, and consider that just because something doesn't ruin a film doesn't mean there isn't improvement for it, maybe?

And maybe consider that an arbitrary thing from the past wouldn’t necessarily improve it, maybe?
    I mean, if your answer to preferring anything from the old movies is "you're stuck in the past" then there's no point in having a conversation. I'm sure most of us think there is actual quality to the old Bond movies.

I think you’re going to put words in my mouth there really is no reason to continue the conversation, yes.
    Mass audiences also probably don't care to hear the Bond theme, to see the Gunbarrel at the beginning, but why should that mean I shouldn't care? I'm NOT mass audiences, I'm a Bond fan.

As for "why", since it's a matter of sound and I can only speak personally, the Bond scores with that element are generally more pleasing to my ear and therefore I associate it with "better" Bond scores. That's it.

So just nostalgia then? Nothing to do with the thematic quality of the actual movie you’re watching but just remembering old ones? That was rather my point.
  • mtm wrote: »
    So just nostalgia then? Nothing to do with the thematic quality of the actual movie you’re watching but just remembering old ones? That was rather my point.
    You don't have a point except dismissing other people's opinions.

If you see a REAL element of film scoring as nothing but a worthless piece of nostalgia, you are indeed not worth having a conversation with.

Especially when you establish what matters and what doesn't. Lol.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    @mtm this is the moment when it’s time to say “let’s agree to disagree”, I suggest it’s time to seize it.
    If I had to guess bond and safin do not meet until the 3rd act probably Norway.

Malek never filmed in Jamaica or matera

Tuck91 wrote: »

Sadly I think you might be right.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2019 Posts: 10,512

I don’t think this is a problem. However, I have a feeling they may meet in Cuba. Just a hunch. I’ve heard the hotel in Cuba plays a significant role - I wouldn’t be surprised if this is where they have their first head to head (hopefully at the tables, given Bond’s dinner suit).
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,126

I don’t think this is a problem. However, I have a feeling they may meet in Cuba. Just a hunch. I’ve heard the hotel in Cuba plays a significant role - I wouldn’t be surprised if this is where they have their first head to head (hopefully at the tables, given Bond’s dinner suit).

Cucumber sandwich? ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Personally, I will be offended unless Bond '77 makes its triumphant return in the score.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4283095002

Just a couple more comments from Craig about NTTD being his last:

"I've had a really good run, and I think doing this movie was the right thing to do," Craig tells USA TODAY. "It was the right thing to do one more."

• 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited November 2019 Posts: 574
    Deep down I've always known this is Craig's last one. Honestly, it doesn't make it any easier. Despite what anyone proclaims there is no obvious taker for the crown so to speak (I'm not enamoured with any of those aforementioned)
    We knew this day was to come yet still a hard pill to swallow. Despite his somewhat strange relationship with PR you'd have to have blinkers on to say he wasn't totally dedicated to the role. Through and through at that. I suppose that's the bit that concerns me. It's hard to see who would take it as seriously as him after that.

Despite some of the crazy murmurings I don't see babs letting it go (those murmurings appear to come from those who treat this franchise with disdain...... at times)

I can't help but feel there's a place for Craig in the future. Whether he takes it, who knows. But anyone questioning his dedication truly hasn't paid attention. Love him or hate him... he did care for the person he portrayed, dumb inconsequential press comments aside.

Truly I feel like a lot don't know how good they do have it right now and how worse it could be. I know it's balked at but he is a modern person's Connery. It's not easily followed.

Must apologise for any mistakes in this post. I'm mobile and abroad with the hubby's family.
    It will be interesting post Daniel it will be an intriguing time where they go next. This sort of thing doesn't happen very often.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    It will be interesting post Daniel it will be an intriguing time where they go next. This sort of thing doesn't happen very often.

Exactly theres a whole host of possibilities. I think we might see change far beyond just Craig leaving. The series will have new life breathed into it post Bond 25, its very exciting.
    I’m sure Barbara can’t stand hearing any of this.
    Craig has been on a charm offensive on the Knives Out press tour. I suspect that is because he's been teamed up with Jamie Lee-Curtis and she's a v outgoing figure. Clearly she's bringing the best out of DC.

I think if Eon are paying attention they should team him up with someone in press junkets. Perhaps, Lashana? She seems very charming and outgoing in interviews.

Didn´t they do that in the Jamaica interviews?

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Craig blew up in the face. He looked puffy in the Colbert interview.

He looked great while filming though.

He went wild on the fatty foods after leaving Bond, good on him. Treat himself.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,018
    Martin Smith, Gaffer/Set lighting technician working at Pinewood, posted this.

• RC7RC7

Yeah, she cancelled dinner tonight because of some opinions on the forum. I heard she’s devastated.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Damn fine post @00Heaven

Yeah, she cancelled dinner tonight because of some opinions on the forum. I heard she’s devastated.

My mistake. I’m sure Barbara can’t stand hearing Craig say he is now finished

My mistake. I’m sure Barbara can’t stand hearing Craig say he is now finished

I think she has known for a long time. Craig probably only agreed to do Bond 25 on the condition that it was his last. Which is why its a one picture deal with Universal.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Roger Moore had a one picture deal on all films after TSWLM. He also claimed that after MR it was his last film each time. Maybe he meant it. Maybe Cubby, EON and MGM lured him back each time. A game of increasing Moore's salary or for EON and MGM, having a popular and proven actor continue the role.
    So Craig may well be done with the role, but don't count your chickens before they're hatched. ;)