No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Contraband wrote: »
    No Craig, Ana or Cary.

I suspect that the wrap party is more for the crew and not the talent. Lashana is still an upcomer, so I guess it makes sense that she’d turn up.

And Ana with friend flew to the sun.. She's been posting pics from the beach.

I wish I was a friend of Ana's!! ;) :-bd :))
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    00Dalton7 wrote: »
    At least your report is valuable, thanks @00Dalton7 for posting this!
    Actually true reporting in a sea of lamentations by the same people who at the same time give the tabloids a run for their money with their speculations.

You don't win the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE after decades of court room drama, only to use the character/organisation in one film and throw it away.

Since this is also a new timeline, it makes sense that EON would bring other characters like Dr No. back, to draw audiences to the seats of cinemas around the world.
    I don´t know. Blofeld was widely known at least by name as kind of Bond´s nemesis. Most other names are far less known by the public I´d say. And if they used a well-rememebred name like Goldfinger, people would probably go, "d´oh, now they´ve run out of ideas completely!"

I suspect they would, if they did decide to re-boot some iconic characters (see my earlier post) they would avoid Goldfinger simply because he is so, so specific; he is obsessed with gold and his name sure a shell reflects that, where as others, like Red Grant, Irma Bunt, or Tiger Tanaka are great character names and cool/interesting characters in their own right who could be cleverly reinvented and not jar with the audience. But, as u say, I think a reboot of Goldfinger would not sit well.
    One could argue that Craig himself is a clever re-invention of Red Grant, they just didn't use the name ;-).

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Contraband wrote: »
    Esquire

With Rami Malek's Safin, 'No Time To Die' Can Make Bond Villains Villainous Again

https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a28718579/bond-25-no-time-to-die-rami-malek-safin-villain-daniel-craig/

Cute, very cute. I feel as though that needs to be written on a red hat, with white lettering.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,157
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Nectoux wrote: »
    One thing we don't have in a long time is Bond facing like a "villain's private army" in a huge set for the climax. Like TSWLM...

TND is almost a remake of that, but not as epic and with uninspired set design.

When I knew about Perla de Las Dunas in QoS and by the explosion shot on the trailer I thought it would be better explored than it was.

I personally hate those kind of endings and that's why TSWLM and YOLT are so low in my ranking, but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

I'm with you on that, @Walecs. I don't hold those battles against TWSLM or YOLT, but I doubt the tone of the Craig era allows for army-vs-army fights. I prefer a Bond who must use his wits to fight his way out of a perilous situation, possibly aided by one or at most two other allies, but certainly not half the coast guard or whatever.

Yep, that's exactly my sentiment. I don't really hate TWSLM and it sits somewhere in the 10s in my ranking, but it would be much higher if it had a more memorable villain and it didn't have that kind of battle.
    People keep repeating this, but it's very likely they had no intention of using Blofeld and SPECTRE ever again after they got the rights back... until Sam Mendes had the "brilliant" idea that they should return.

They bought the rights because Mendes and Logan really wanted to use Blofeld.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    jake24 wrote: »
    00Dalton7 wrote: »

Wow so that was the "BIG" article we were all waiting for with "heaps" of photos. Thanks once again EON
    Uh, that was just hopeful speculation from fans. Nothing more.

As is the speculation Malek is playing Dr. No, which, as far as I can tell, is solely based upon the Jamaica location and the "reset" to the classic MI6 set at the end of SF.
  • delfloria wrote: »
    I'm OK without the army attack kind of ending as long as the ending is more complex and exciting than the pre title sequence. This is the problem I have with a lot of the films.
    Yeah that annoys me a bit especially with the Mendes films. Like they blew their load with the PTS and none of the action in the rest of the film lives up to that.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    In the Mendes combo the best action sequences are always the smallest one, like the silhouette fight and the train fight. In NTTD hopefully the action will be more consistent, like in CR.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,168
    weboffear wrote: »

"the next star of the franchise should be female for the first time ever."

Oh..please. 007 is James Bond, and James Bond is 007. Learn to live with that or do a spin-off series.
    matt_u wrote: »
    In the Mendes combo the best action sequences are always the smallest one, like the silhouette fight and the train fight. In NTTD hopefully the action will be more consistent, like in CR.

To each his own. A carchase that turns into a bikechase on the roof of a bazar that turns into fistfight on top of a moving train, is for me certainly an action sequence that beats a silhouette fight where I couldn't tell who was who.
  • delfloria wrote: »
    I'm OK without the army attack kind of ending as long as the ending is more complex and exciting than the pre title sequence. This is the problem I have with a lot of the films.
    Yeah that annoys me a bit especially with the Mendes films. Like they blew their load with the PTS and none of the action in the rest of the film lives up to that.

THIS. I understand the precedent and expectation to start a Bond film off with a bang; but I’m not sure if it does much service to open a 140 - 150 min film with the most thrilling action sequence and gradually regress from there. CR, QOS, and SP really suffered from this, especially Spectre, and its comically underwhelming finale of Bond shooting down a helicopter with a PPK.

Although I find Skyfall’s PTS to be more action packed and ambitious in scope than the finale in Scotland, there was enough novelty in it (reversing the Bond attacks villains lair trope, Western influence, putting M in the middle of the action, and the thematic/narrative stakes) to not feel like a regression in comparison to the opening. I hope we’re in for something more akin to that for NTTD’s finale.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    STOP with the Mendes/SP complaints. There are other threads for that. Some of us are tired of the belly aching. CJF is directing the current Bond.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Were there any still shots of Remi doing filming? I can't seem to recall any pics of him filming.

Nope, because they likely want to keeps information about his character under wraps. Whether he is secretly Dr No, or just someone from Madelines past still remains to be seen.

I see I see. Makes sense.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Re the Empire article - MG Wilson doesn't say as fact it is the end of the Craig era. He says
    "It looks like the end of this era"

so it could be Craig is 80 percent done with the role but if there isn't an exciting replacement and/or NTTD does a billion, Craig may return? Perhaps.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0425/1045705-barbara-broccoli-hopes-daniel-craig-remains-on-as-007/

At least it seems like BB has not given up hope to convince Craig to stay on board. Okay, this was back in April, but I'm sure, she still wants to avoid Craigxit. *ihavetogo*
    I believe the reception of NTTD will be the deciding factor on Craig’s return.

Feels more and more like NTTD won’t end in a way that Craig can’t come back.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Tuck91 wrote: »

I don't think that's the case actually, because when would he ever stop? When people don't go see his films anymore, I think Craig would want his last film to be successful in as many ways as possible. It's probably one of the reasons he came back after Spectre.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Tuck91 wrote: »

If its great does he come back?
  • I think Craig wants to go out on top and if NTTD is well received, I’m inclined to believe he’d say, “It’s been a good run but I’m on to the next chapter,” despite BB and MGW’s efforts. Most non-Bond fans I know regard DC as a great Bond but are ready to see something/someone new. I think the best thing EON can do is end DC’s run on a high note and go into the next era coming off a strong critical and commercial reception, and with presumably heightened anticipation for Bond Actor 7 and Bond 26.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If they want him to return, work on a script better be in progress. It can’t be another five year gap.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    If NTTD is great, I would advise Craig to leave on a high note, not do another DAF, AVTAK (although I quite like this, or at least bits of it) or DAD. Okay, when they did DAD, they did not know it'll be Brozzer's final.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »
    If they want him to return, work on a script better be in progress. It can’t be another five year gap.
    The five year gap wasn't just because of the script @talos7 A lot of factors put Bond 25 where it was, and every project is different so who knows when we'll Bond 26.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    STOP with the Mendes/SP complaints. There are other threads for that. Some of us are tired of the belly aching. CJF is directing the current Bond.
    I think it was fair to bring up Mendes movies in relation to what we expect/desire from NTTD. But okay I'll drop it I guess.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Denbigh wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The five year gap wasn't just because of the script @talos7 A lot of factors put Bond 25 where it was, and every project is different so who knows when we'll Bond 26.

Big picture, this is just a general remark meaning that if they want Craig to return, there needs to be a sense of purpose so that , for what ever reasons, there isn’t a prolonged gap.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Lol I've just seen my Rami Malek/Dr. No edit being used for the thumbnail of a theory video. Oops :D
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Nectoux wrote: »
    One thing we don't have in a long time is Bond facing like a "villain's private army" in a huge set for the climax. Like TSWLM...

TND is almost a remake of that, but not as epic and with uninspired set design.

When I knew about Perla de Las Dunas in QoS and by the explosion shot on the trailer I thought it would be better explored than it was.

I personally hate those kind of endings and that's why TSWLM and YOLT are so low in my ranking, but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

I'm with you on that, @Walecs. I don't hold those battles against TWSLM or YOLT, but I doubt the tone of the Craig era allows for army-vs-army fights. I prefer a Bond who must use his wits to fight his way out of a perilous situation, possibly aided by one or at most two other allies, but certainly not half the coast guard or whatever.

I agree.

I get bored in these scenes.

TripAces wrote: »
    I think it was fair to bring up Mendes movies in relation to what we expect/desire from NTTD. But okay I'll drop it I guess.

Fair point but...the name can be toxic around here. LOL.
    FWIW, check out the font used by one of the production companies on CJF's season of True Detective (~8:15 mark).

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    People keep repeating this, but it's very likely they had no intention of using Blofeld and SPECTRE ever again after they got the rights back... until Sam Mendes had the "brilliant" idea that they should return.

My guess is that it was presented that way.

EON/Danjaq may have tried a few times to buy the rights from McClory's estate. Around 2013, they see an opportunity. They must cost something in the tens of millions of pounds, dollars, euros or whatever currency the McClories want to get.

When they're close to the deal, accountants explain that this operation will be charged on both MGM and Danjaq, but if SPECTRE and Blofeld are used in the next film, the final film in the Sony contract, Sony would foot the bill, as the acquisition costs would be assigned to development in the budget of Bond 24. Anyway, after that operation, these elements owned by the estate of Kevin McClory will be forever part of the IP already owned by Danjaq and MGM.

That was an opportunity to good to miss, the final missing piece (after the adaptation rights to CR) they'd been trying to find for decades.

At this point, Logan and Mendes are already in love with their idea of making the next villain Bond's adoptive brother named Oberhauser. Logan may be interested in using Spectre, but for Bond 25, as he was then developing a two-parter. Corporate pressure get the upper hand and they find some compromise. They keep the Operation Kid Step Brother plot, and they merge Oberhauser with Blofeld, with elements from the projected Bond 25 synopsis being used for the third act.

Logan tries to find a suitable use of Blofeld and SPECTRE in his script, fails to do it, and leaves production, to be replaced by Purvis and Wade. EON may have even accepted to compromise in some way Bond 25 for the benefit of the entire franchise, they show at some point to Sony the script they have come up with, Sony green-lights the project and pays for the transaction with the estate.

I know this may explain many things too nicely, but I really suspect that part of the creative decisions were related to taking advantage of a few financial windows of opportunity.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Imho Bond should strangle Safin to death...
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

EON/Danjaq may have tried a few times to buy the rights from McClory's estate. Around 2013, they see an opportunity. They must cost something in the tens of millions of pounds, dollars, euros or whatever currency the McClories want to get.

When they're close to the deal, accountants explain that this operation will be charged on both MGM and Danjaq, but if SPECTRE and Blofeld are used in the next film, the final film in the Sony contract, Sony would foot the bill, as the acquisition costs would be assigned to development in the budget of Bond 24. Anyway, after that operation, these elements owned by the estate of Kevin McClory will be forever part of the IP already owned by Danjaq and MGM.

That was an opportunity to good to miss, the final missing piece (after the adaptation rights to CR) they'd been trying to find for decades.

At this point, Logan and Mendes are already in love with their idea of making the next villain Bond's adoptive brother named Oberhauser. Logan may be interested in using Spectre, but for Bond 25, as he was then developing a two-parter. Corporate pressure get the upper hand and they find some compromise. They keep the Operation Kid Step Brother plot, and they merge Oberhauser with Blofeld, with elements from the projected Bond 25 synopsis being used for the third act.

Logan tries to find a suitable use of Blofeld and SPECTRE in his script, fails to do it, and leaves production, to be replaced by Purvis and Wade. EON may have even accepted to compromise in some way Bond 25 for the benefit of the entire franchise, they show at some point to Sony the script they have come up with, Sony green-lights the project and pays for the transaction with the estate.

I know this may explain many things too nicely, but I really suspect that part of the creative decisions were related to taking advantage of a few financial windows of opportunity.

Yeah, it is entirely possible.

I think that Oberhauser was an idea of Wade & Purvis. If I recall correctly (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Mendes and Logan liked the idea of making the villain Bond's forster brother (or whatever) but it was when Wade & Purvis came on board that the villain was linked to Oberhauser (the two, after all, despite all their flaws know the source material way better than Mendes and Logan).
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Ooh, a new theory! I like it.
  • I think we know how it played out from the Sony leaks/interviews given when the film was released:
    • Mendes and Logan wanted to bring Spectre and Blofled back
    • Originally they wanted Chiwetel Ejoifer for the role and envisioned Blofeld as an African Warlord who had a grudge against England.
    • Chiwetel Ejoifer was v excited for the role and Mendes was keen to hire him.
    • However, they couldn’t get that aspect of the story to work. So they began to reimagine Blofeld. There was the suggestion that Blofeld could be a woman and Meryl Streep was mentioned as an actress they were after.
    • By summer 2014, Sony and Eon were unhappy with John Logan’s script.
    • This led to Mendes asking P&W to return.
    • P&W were told to brainstorm ideas for Blofeld. One of the locations for the film was already set as Austria and they suggested the Oberhuaser story from Octopussy due to the location connection.
    • Mendes liked the idea and the notion that Bond’s surrogate father had a forgotten son. Hence, how Blofeld became Bond’s brother.