No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Danny Boyle's Russian villain lives on?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

You’re still hung up on him?

It was just revealed that Malek's villain has a Russian name. Since Boyle's villain would have been Russian it is perfectly sensible to ask whether there is a connection.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Damn it, I mean, I was happy they had this really hidden from us, and now they throw small bones through Empire? And we learn stuff like the villain's name through a short online article?!? I hope we don't get much more spoilers like this. I'm happy with all the secrecy. And some might say that names don't spoil narratives, but they do, they tell of certain choices. We're already combining the name with the licence plates and talking about Russia. FFS, PP is already talking about Boyle again. Damn it! Don't spoil us, EON, check your leaks, keep your secrets safe until April. Be careful of what you say to magazines, Babs. Heck, I don't even want a trailer anymore :-D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It's not uncommon for story elements to be carried through from early in the production and story process. Just because it may have appeared in the story conceived during Boyles input, doesn't mean that Danny Boyle came up with it. And even if he did, then what difference does it make?
    Story elements are sometimes shelved in one Bond production, only to be used in a later one.
    For example, the acrostar jet in OP was originally conceived for MR, with Bond and Holly to pilot them.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Univex wrote: »
    I hope we don't get much more spoilers like this.
    I never understood this sentiment. If you don't want spoilers, it's very easy to avoid them, but let us have our spoilers!
    Benny wrote: »
    And even if he did, then what difference does it make?
    A lot. It's Bond history. These are the things that will end up in Some Kind of Hero.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Benny wrote: »
    It's not uncommon for story elements to be carried through from early in the production and story process. Just because it may have appeared in the story conceived during Boyles input, doesn't mean that Danny Boyle came up with it. And even if he did, then what difference does it make?
    Story elements are sometimes shelved in one Bond production, only to be used in a later one.
    For example, the acrostar jet in OP was originally conceived for MR, with Bond and Holly to pilot them.

That's very true. And even many other action pieces are kept in the shelf for future films. That's normal.

What's not normal is getting your main villain's name through a short online article from Empire. That, I didn't like.
    I'm glad they've told us in an official capacity. Better than reading some random leak on Reddit or elsewhere.
    matt_u wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Good! Hopefully Empire will give us a first look at Malek as Safin.

Ah, Safin is a Russian surname!

Just noticed that. Interesting…

https://forvo.com/word/сафин/#tt

Here's how to pronounce it correctly.

Just how I thought it would be pronounced ;-)
    MrSilva wrote: »
    I'm glad they've told us in an official capacity. Better than reading some random leak on Reddit or elsewhere.

Well... @MrSilva... that's true. So, who's taking @MrSafin? ;)
    Univex wrote: »

Well... @MrSilva... that's true. So, who's taking @MrSafin? ;)

I do wonder if that is his surname though.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Safin was a tennis player... :-?
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Marat. Today a politician.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Bond will be bombarded with tennis balls as he enters the lair. :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

It was just revealed that Malek's villain has a Russian name. Since Boyle's villain would have been Russian it is perfectly sensible to ask whether there is a connection.

Interesting, I didn't think of that. I wonder if something did survive from Hodge's script after all.
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    Will we get a still of Safin in Empire? While I have been enjoying the secrecy of NTTD so far, I think it would be cool if we got a glimpse of Malek.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Safin is a tatar name. They live mostly in Russia, but speak Turkish.
    infovise wrote: »
    Will we get a still of Safin in Empire? While I have been enjoying the secrecy of NTTD so far, I think it would be cool if we got a glimpse of Malek.

No still included in the article, unfortunately and usually they go hand in hand with exclusive articles.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited October 2019 Posts: 1,884
    Nobody else notice that Lashana Lynch's Nomi is said to be one of Bond's allies in the film, but there's no mention of Ana de Armas' Paloma as such... Femme fatale!?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are saving some stuff for the issue itself, like an extra still or two...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Cool! So Malek will have an accent in the film.

I don't know why, but I see him with some crazy hair akin to MAX ZORIN.
    antovolk wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are saving some stuff for the issue itself, like an extra still or two...

I hope so. Sometimes we get teased with all this new info and then the article ends up being half a page.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,167
    Guess this explains the russian licenceplate and that some of the bad guys in Matera were wearing typical russian camouflageoutfits.

Maybe it's a trend. Russians becoming bad guys again. Russians are also baddies in the newly released Call of Duty.

I wonder what all this have to do with SPECTRE.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,272

AVTAK was Cary's first Bond film, so…

When I read about that a few months ago, I immediately thought Cary was going to use Lashana Lynch as some kind of new May Day. Glad it's not the case.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,272

When I read about that a few months ago, I immediately thought Cary was going to use Lashana Lynch as some kind of new May Day. Glad it's not the case.

Actually, I wouldn't mind that, haha!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I legit cannot find anyone in that photograph. Is anyone able to circle or point out people?
    Who I've spotted so far @DonnyDB5 :)
    E5kuXT1.jpg

I wonder if that’s a set? If it is I bet the production designer was crapping himself: I doubt the stairs were engineered to hold that many people! :)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Don't know if this has any meaning, but still:

Safin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms

Early Origins of the Safin family
    The surname Safin was first found in Somerset where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1372 when they held lands.

https://www.houseofnames.com/safin-family-crest
    Looks like Safin is also an Arabic first name?

https://www.moonastro.com/babyname/baby name safin meaning.aspx
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 1,661
    FoxRox wrote: »

"Last week it emerged director Cary Joji Fukunaga has shot three endings and only he knows which will be used.

In one people are gassed on a dance floor."

They'll print anything these days!

Ahem...

;) Exciting news about the supervillain. Blofeld and Safin.Two major enemies in NTTD. I wonder if they're in league or rivals. Sort of the apprentice/master dynamic. If Rami's character is the supervillain then Blofeld may have a smaller role.