No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited August 2019 Posts: 3,164
    I think I mentioned this at the time that whole Madeleine dying rumour happened -
    Her getting 'killed off' in the PTS and then for Bond to come across her alive..either cloned or brought back to life by Malek - is a way to handle the whole idea of her getting killed off.

Plus we do know she supposedly appears later in the film, interrogating Blofeld...

And about the title, I think serious consideration can now be given to THE PROPERTY OF A LADY...
    @jetsetwilly yes I forgot about the geyser seat. Actually the way you’ve described it could be really good. But just lose the flowers bit

Is the woman who lived twice an alternative title for vertigo?

Little fact. I only once watched vertigo -
    I taped it off the tele about 30 years ago. My tape ran out just as they approach Mount Rushmore. To this day I’ve never seen the last 10 minutes!
    Matt007 wrote: »

Little fact. I only once watched vertigo -
    I taped it off the tele about 30 years ago. My tape ran out just as they approach Mount Rushmore. To this day I’ve never seen the last 10 minutes!

Mount Rushmore? U are mixing up Vertigo with North by North West. Both superb films though. Vertigo is in my top 3 ever, sitting with 2001 and Chinatown.
  • I really don't understand how a lot of fans are digging this idea of cloning one of the Bond girls.

It reeks of the silly science of DAD no matter how much some try to convince me this is a very feasible thing.
    I really don't understand how a lot of fans are digging this idea of cloning one of the Bond girls.

It reeks of the silly science of DAD no matter how much some try to convince me this is a very feasible thing.

I suggested it as a possibility, and it could be smartly done and not cheesy like DAD, but I have to say, it's not what I would do if I was writing a Craig Bond.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I really don't understand how a lot of fans are digging this idea of cloning one of the Bond girls.

Cloning is a real thing. Things are cloned. It is science. And a reality.
    DNA replacement therapy as seen in DAD, is a thing of fiction, and therefore silly science.
    I'm not hoping for cloning within the story. But I wont be appalled or angry if it is.
    So long as it's handled well within the story. I don't think the writing team or CJF will make it sci-fi or cheesy if it is incorporated into the storyline.

I think a lot of people heard the plot would involve “genetic engineering” and immediately jumped to “cloning”.

In fact, genetic engineering has very little to actually do with cloning. I found these articles on the Guardian which suggest the USA is putting a lot of attention on genetic engineering for the use of agriculture. However, the UN and other bodies are growing concerned that these are actually covert attempts to build bio-weapons for the military.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/04/us-plan-to-genetically-alter-crops-via-insects-feared-to-be-biological-war-plan

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/04/us-military-agency-invests-100m-in-genetic-extinction-technologies
  • Benny wrote: »
    Then point me towards a real cloned human being, and then I'll say yes, a Madeleine clone is a realistic thing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think we're going to have many laughs with this thread eight months from now.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    From what I've been hearing and seeing, I'm getting more LTK pts vibes.

Regarding the theory of Maddy dying, really hope they don't do it. It's a boring cop-out. Honestly really curious how they're going to handle this.

Is it possible that this isn't bond's wedding but someone else's?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I'm sure you're right @DarthDimi all these theories and speculative ideas either being close to the mark...or a long way off.
    I put away my crystal ball long ago.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Benny wrote: »
    Then point me towards a real cloned human being, and then I'll say yes, a Madeleine clone is a realistic thing.

So in 1967 how many spacecraft could snatch other spacecraft from orbit,
    In 1979 how many immense space stations, with artificial gravity, were there?

The science in Bond films has frequently been one step ahead.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Matt007 wrote: »

It's the english translation of the italian title of the film but I think also other countries had this title variation.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,528

I'm sure you're right @DarthDimi all these theories and speculative ideas either being close to the mark...or a long way off.

For dozens of pages now, speculation about cloning, of all things, has been going on uninterrupted. And with noting hinting at it whatsoever. So yeah, this is either spot-on or one of the craziest cases of social media speculation ever. ;-)

The entertainment value of this thread cannot be overstated. It reminds me of the old Batman television series with Batman and Robin deducing Catwoman's plans on the basis of some cryptic bits.

Genetic engineering => cloning =>Malek is Blofeld and the Bond girl is a clone.

Let me try one of these.

Multiple Aston Martins => transformers => Oh my god, Ana is some Chinese experiment involving people who can turn into cars.

Great. Let's talk about that for the next 50 pages, shall we?

If anyone at EON is reading these threads, and right now I hope no-one is, they must be thinking, "if these are the Bond fans of today, why do we even bother making more films?" ;-)

For dozens of pages now, speculation about cloning, of all things, has been going on uninterrupted. And with noting hinting at it whatsoever. So yeah, this is either spot-on or one of the craziest cases of social media speculation ever. ;-)

The entertainment value of this thread cannot be overstated. It reminds me of the old Batman television series with Batman and Robin deducing Catwoman's plans on the basis of some cryptic bits.

Genetic engineering => cloning =>Malek is Blofeld and the Bond girl is a clone.

Let me try one of these.

Multiple Aston Martins => transformers => Oh my god, Ana is some Chinese experiment involving people who can turn into cars.

Great. Let's talk about that for the next 50 pages, shall we?

If anyone at EON is reading these threads, and right now I hope no-one is, they must be thinking, "if these are the Bond fans of today, why do we even bother making more films?" ;-)

With respect, genetic engineering is a reality, as is cloning - a human being has not yet been cloned (as far as we know), but animals and plants etc. have been cloned.

Human beings transforming into cars is not a scientific reality.

I personally don't think Eon will push a Craig film into full-on cloning, but from what we know, genetic science is core to the plot, so it's fair to speculate on what that might be and why we have a young girl cast to (so it seems) resemble Swann.

Never Let the Property of A Cloned Lady Die Twice Tomorrow?

Always Kill Yesterday's (Female) Genomes?

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 5,185
    James Bond 00(7) in: I Know this sounds crazy but hear me out...
    talos7 wrote: »

Congrats... You just picked the hands-down dumbest Bond movies ever when it comes to "science".
    CraterGuns wrote: »

Congrats... You just picked the hands-down dumbest Bond movies ever when it comes to "science".

Well aren’t you a sweetheart.
    Sweetie, go back though the history of the franchise, technology that is one step ahead is present in almost every film.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The idea that people are finding the rather real concept of human cloning too unrealistic and far fetched in the exact same week it was confirmed there are projects ongoing to combine human and animal embryos is rather ironic.

Just because something seems outlandish, or even uncomfortable, to process does not make it science fiction... But regarding Sci fi, I very much doubt the film is going to go down the more fairytale aspect of cloning and end with Bond being blown up with two hundred evil clones of nehru suited Madelaine Swanns... It'll be grounded in somewhat realism. And thus the terrible new technology the synopsis hints at.

Also I can't recall who mentioned it and I'm a bit too lazy to go back and quote, but someone asked how the film can begin in Materea when Barbara Brocolli said at the press conference the film starts with Bond in Jamaica - I think the answer to that is the Pre Title Sequence isn't often seen as "the start" of the movie. More of a prelude. So whilst Materea is likely (based on rumour) to be the first place seen, the film will "begin" after the titles (set some time later I imagine) in Jamaica. (In my opinion anyhow)

Going to space isn't outlandish either, yet that wasn't received very well.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

One step ahead of what? Those things still haven't been done (53 and 40 years later) and likely won't any time soon.
    TripAces wrote: »

One step ahead of what? Those things still haven't been done (53 and 40 years later) and likely won't any time soon.

Very true...

• RyanRyan Canada
    Despite what Cubby may have said the press, Moonraker is far from science fact.
    I would be super surprised if Bond 25 dealt with cloning. My understanding of a genetic warfare threat would be something like an airborne virus or something along those lines rather than cloning.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    TR007 wrote: »
    I would be super surprised if Bond 25 dealt with cloning. My understanding of a genetic warfare threat would be something like an airborne virus or something along those lines rather than cloning.
    Wouldn't that be biological warfare?
    Far fetched or not, my sense is that the Bonds, post DAD, have been pursuing naturalistic and down-to-earth plots rather than the two-minutes-into-the-future fantasies of the sixties. In other words, no killer satellites or facial transplants for this Bond. Seeing how vigorously some responded to Silva's somewhat unconvincing mouth piece correction of a partially corroded face, it's clear to me that cloned characters would upset the masses.

I'm well aware of how far our academic and experimental knowledge of genetics has come. I'm sure that in the hands of a capable writer, it could work for a Bond film. Yet, something still feels a little off.

That, however, is not what I was talking about in my previous post. Rather, the fact that they haven't thrown us even half a bone about the plot yet and we are still able to fill page after page with extremely detailed speculation traveling in the weirdest of places, is what baffles me. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, merely that I'm sure we'll return to these discussions at some point and laugh at a lot of these wannabe plot ideas. ;)

The two additional elements that prompted the clone theory were the casting of the young actress who looks like Lea and the fact that she’s wearing contemporary clothing during the frozen lake sequence which was initially thought to be a flashback.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be biological warfare?
    D’oh. Right you are. I’m not very well versed in this. It was just the most logical scenario I could picture for a Bond movie rather than cloning.

The two additional elements that prompted the clone theory were the casting of the young actress who looks like Lea and the fact that she’s wearing contemporary clothing during the frozen lake sequence which was initially thought to be a flashback.

My guess is that this girl has nothing to do about cloning or Madeleine at all. I'm more likely to believe she's in some way connected to the kidnapped scientist. What better way to make a scientist agree to assist in developing a dangerous technology than holding his daughter hostage, for example.