No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• PavloPavlo Ukraine
    I was kind of hoping they would move away from the endless dropping of reference/homages to previous Bond films ...

I agree....but there is a big difference between showing us blatant nods to the iconography (Fields's death evoking GF/the cat and scar in SP/the jetpack in DAD) and bringing back an actress for a cheeky cameo. I kinda dig it. I mean, they look really different so it isn't too jarring.

It makes for a nice bit of trivia. Much like Tsai Chin and Diana Hartford in CR.

Madame+Wu+-+Tsai+Chin.jpg
    d072228f62da8cbdbcb1b891a4a9841d.png

Think those worked in CR because they weren't the lead actresses in YOLT and TB. If main Bond girls like Britt Ekland get cameos it gets a bit distracting.

Distracting for hardcore Bond fans who know filmography very well)
    Majority (I'm part of it, must admit) of people who will go to cinema on Bond 25 doesn't even know who B. Ekland is)
    I think, it true, it's just regular little gift from producers for hardcore fans and symbolic tribute to the past of franchise.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,588
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    jake24 wrote: »
    This is interesting. Boyle confirms he wanted to kill off Bond, while Broccoli and Craig preferred a more ambiguous ending:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1149147/James-Bond-25-Danny-Boyle-plans-Daniel-Craig-Ian-Fleming-books-Cary-Fukunaga

Sounds like 'A Reason to Die' would have been more suited to his film, if that's the case.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    This is interesting. Boyle confirms he wanted to kill off Bond, while Broccoli and Craig preferred a more ambiguous ending:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1149147/James-Bond-25-Danny-Boyle-plans-Daniel-Craig-Ian-Fleming-books-Cary-Fukunaga

Producers' variant I like better. Danny's variant looks very obvious and predictable.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's a real awkward situation and one I wish we didn't have to deal with, because now even if someone doesn't like the smallest thing, people will assume Boyle would've done it better even though nothing would support that case.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    For a second i thought this idiot just spoiled the ending of the film, but thankfully it's just more speculative tabloid garbage. When you check the source you see all new quotes are from the "Insider", nothing new here.
    I'm out for good.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    00Agent wrote: »
    For a second i thought this idiot just spoiled the ending of the film, but thankfully it's just more speculative tabloid garbage. When you check the source you see all new quotes are from the "Insider", nothing new here.
    I'm out for good.
    Boyle's version was thrown in the trash, mate. It's no indication of the current ending.

Careful there. Boyle doesn’t confirm anything of the sort. The article states that a Hollywood Reporter source made such claims regarding the death of Bond.

• PavloPavlo Ukraine
    TR007 wrote: »

Careful there. Boyle doesn’t confirm anything of the sort. The article states that a Hollywood Reporter source made such claims regarding the death of Bond.

THR is very respectful source with great web of insiders in movie business. Might be true.
    I totally misread the article and thought it was Boyle who made those statements. My bad.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    00Agent wrote: »
    I'm out for good.
    Boyle's version was thrown in the trash, mate. It's no indication of the current ending.

Well I think he was merely pointing out that the Express mixed the Playlist's interview together with an insider's comments from an old Daily Star story. In Playlist's (new) interview there isn't any mention of killing Bond, just his enthusiasm for Fleming, and to be fair that's 90% of what the Express' article is about. Reposting the same quote at the bottom of the page isn't a confirmation. Unless I'm missing something?
    See my comment above.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    See my comment above.

All that investigative researching for nothing. :D
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    bondsum wrote: »
    This is a perfect summary of B25 so far...

That crack me up =)) :))
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    I was kind of hoping they would move away from the endless dropping of reference/homages to previous Bond films ...

I agree....but there is a big difference between showing us blatant nods to the iconography (Fields's death evoking GF/the cat and scar in SP/the jetpack in DAD) and bringing back an actress for a cheeky cameo. I kinda dig it. I mean, they look really different so it isn't too jarring.

It makes for a nice bit of trivia. Much like Tsai Chin and Diana Hartford in CR.

Whats the connection? They're both in CR? Britt Ekland is unrecognisable so not really a distraction as long as its a minor role.

Tbh a tribute card to Sir Rog at the end would suffice.
    bondsum wrote: »
    This is a perfect summary of B25 so far...

That crack me up =)) :))

I generally like what he does, but didn't find this very funny.
    Haphazard is typically a downer. This was actually one of his funnier works.
    It was quite funny
    That was classic!
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    If Bond dies, then so does the franchise. I think that's all BS imo.
  • tqbtqb
    imranbecks wrote: »

Ehhh they'd just go into the "code name theory" territory
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,619
    a
    tqb wrote: »

Never. They would just simply reboot.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    tqb wrote: »

Now I'm not for the idea of Craig's Bond dying, but, if he did it would just be the end of his incarnation of Bond, his timeline. The next actor would be operating within a new timeline, and there would be no connections to Craig's five films. The " code name theory" would be a non-issue.
    I agree killing Bond is stupid. If they can't come up with a decent plot without pulling that bottom of the barrel stunt then EON shouldn't be in the business. But I don't think it's going to happen.

Craig said in the Goldeneye launch he had received the franchise in good shape and wanted to hand it on in good shape. I think killing Bond off would fly in the face of that commitment.

There are so many ways to say farewell.
    Getafix wrote: »

Whats the connection? They're both in CR? Britt Ekland is unrecognisable so not really a distraction as long as its a minor role.

Tbh a tribute card to Sir Rog at the end would suffice.
    How about an Alan Partridge appearance as a tribute to His Rogness :-))?

• edited July 2019 Posts: 17,267
    Getafix wrote: »
    I agree killing Bond is stupid. If they can't come up with a decent plot without pulling that bottom of the barrel stunt then EON shouldn't be in the business. But I don't think it's going to happen.

Craig said in the Goldeneye launch he had received the franchise in good shape and wanted to hand it on in good shape. I think killing Bond off would fly in the face of that commitment.

There are so many ways to say farewell.

Give Craig's Bond a happy ending. I don't get why so many like to entertain the idea of killing Bond off. I won't bother watching Bond 25 if he does get killed.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Hope we get some photos from set on weekend. They were filming on last weekends in London and maybe will film in London on this too.
    I don't understand this idea of Killing Bond, then doing what, re-booting? I think I'd just lose interest. I mean, wouldn't it make a mockery of any narrative the series has?
    It's not like Star Trek where people say 'it's an alternative re-imagining' and all that bollox. It's not sci-fi, (despite the best efforts of MR and DAD).

Bond dying is a daft idea, unless they want to make the last Bond film.

• edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I don't understand this idea of Killing Bond, then doing what, re-booting? I think I'd just lose interest. I mean, wouldn't it make a mockery of any narrative the series has?
    It's not like Star Trek where people say 'it's an alternative re-imagining' and all that bollox. It's not sci-fi, (despite the best efforts of MR and DAD).

They are gonna reboot it anyway after this one as it is Craig's last. The new actor's run of films won't be at all narratively connected to the events of the Craig films. Therefore opening the door to something like Bond getting killed off. It wouldn't at all make a mockery of the narrative, because from the start, and with the events of Spectre especially, the Craig films have been their own self contained (and more serialised than the rest of the series combined) story.
    antovolk wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »

They are gonna reboot it anyway after this one as it is Craig's last. The new actor's run of films won't be at all narratively connected to the events of the Craig films. Therefore opening the door to something like Bond getting killed off. It wouldn't at all make a mockery of the narrative, because from the start, and with the events of Spectre especially, the Craig films have been their own self contained (and more serialised than the rest of the series combined) story.

I do want Craig's films to have a definitive end. However, does this mean we loose Whishaw, Fiennes and Harris?

Fiennes_Whishaw_Harris.jpg

The next actor's films should still use them. Even if Bond does 'die' in the Craig films.

I reckon Bond's death should be ambiguous - much like how Fleming killed the character in FRWL or like Daniel Craig's death scene in Layer Cake.

This way the reboot will be be more of a tonal exercise. I think the next iteration of Bond will be more 'fun' and someone like Edgar Wright or Paul King will take over.

Paul King is an A-list director in waiting.