No Time to Die production thread

Comments

ertert wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    The ultimate question is whether MGM can weather a loss on this film by releasing it before a billion dollars at the box office is a possibility. At this point in time any delay would be purely for profitability reasons (if we discount the issues in Australia right now with cinema closures in some regions). And the argument of the MI6HQ guys is that another delay is inevitable because of that...

I think that MI6HQ article relies on a faulty assumption — execs are expecting pre-COVID returns. If this is the case, they are extremely foolish as it will likely be years before this happens (if ever). Additionally, I think the article is treating NTTD as a special case relative to other films — everyone with a tent pole releasing between 2020-22 (23?) is having these same problems.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic, but I don't really think a 60th anniversary is going to magically juice numbers. Frankly, the idea that "50th anniversary made Skyfall money" doesn't pass the sniff test. Skyfall made a lot of money because it's an amazing movie. That's all it is!

It would be extremely foolish to continue to delay as every other film is releasing and vaccine rates skyrocketing.

Skyfall had the hype of the Olympics, Javier Bardem, huge word of mouth, etc. Agreed mate.

Yeah, the word of mouth is key. If NTTD is good and people dig it, it will get asses in seats.

Another point that came to mind as I'm thinking about this article — if they delay it to 2022, that "928 million" number would get even higher because of more interest and advertising. Continual delays will lead to a point where it would be genuinely impossible to break even assuming MI6HQ numbers are accurate.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Yep. This is the first time they have a real choice since prior delays were fundamentally forced by the pandemic closures.

Another good point. They have a choice now and it is not irresponsible to put it through. Theaters are open, people have their shots in major markets. US just passed 70%.
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-box-office-projection-for-october-2021

“And this is where things get difficult for a film budgeted in a pre-pandemic world: 'No Time To Die' now needs to clear $928m at the box office to avoid losing money.”

Complete BS, as usual. MI6-HQ used to be trustworthy, but that stopped being the case many many years ago. Now it's worse than your average rag.

To be fair, it's not BS, but, even with the figures and calculations, I think it's still a bit simplistic. Eon/MGM/Universal will weight up, as best they can, the BO potential for Oct/Nov release during these extremely unpredictable times. Not an easy task, but they also have to balance this against how much more money they will continue to lose if they again postpone the release. Also, a good quarter - or even more - of a big film's profits come - only a few months later - from streaming, cable, TV pre-sales/sales, dvd/BluRay (which, to be fair, is lower these days, but still substantial for a big film) etc.. Bond, as a huge franchise, has another advantage, NTTD, like all Bonds, will have a very, very long shelf life. And if it's a classic 007 film, which it looks likely to be, then that will sustain its life, its income and future profits. I reckon they are being realistic and sober minded and forecasting a theatrical performance (US and international) around $700 - 800 million bucks, but hoping that good reviews and strong word of mouth drive the figure up higher than that. (F9 got pretty poor reviews - friends of mine thought it was rubbish - but it still got close to $700 million.) We will soon find out.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I think they need to do more with the marketing. They need be more aggressive imo.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited August 2021 Posts: 566
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-box-office-projection-for-october-2021

“And this is where things get difficult for a film budgeted in a pre-pandemic world: 'No Time To Die' now needs to clear $928m at the box office to avoid losing money.”

Complete BS, as usual. MI6-HQ used to be trustworthy, but that stopped being the case many many years ago. Now it's worse than your average rag.

To be fair, it's not BS, but, even with the figures and calculations, I think it's still a bit simplistic. Eon/MGM/Universal will weight up, as best they can, the BO potential for Oct/Nov release during these extremely unpredictable times. Not an easy task, but they also have to balance this against how much more money they will continue to lose if they again postpone the release. Also, a good quarter - or even more - of a big film's profits come - only a few months later - from streaming, cable, TV pre-sales/sales, dvd/BluRay (which, to be fair, is lower these days, but still substantial for a big film) etc.. Bond, as a huge franchise, has another advantage, NTTD, like all Bonds, will have a very, very long shelf life. And if it's a classic 007 film, which it looks likely to be, then that will sustain its life, its income and future profits. I reckon they are being realistic and sober minded and forecasting a theatrical performance (US and international) around $700 - 800 million bucks, but hoping that good reviews and strong word of mouth drive the figure up higher than that. (F9 got pretty poor reviews - friends of mine thought it was rubbish - but it still got close to $700 million.) We will soon find out.

Thank you Colonel. I have been wrestling with how to interpret the Risky Buisness article. You made excellent points. I dont think its as easy as finding the break even point anymore. The producers have to project home release value and the worth of doing that in time for Christmas must be a factor.

Don't mean to put you on the spot, but how do you feel about the film sticking to its current date? You are a very respected member of this community and I'd love to hear what you think.
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Do people think that No Time To Die could be the lone fall release to stay? I know that other films are considering delays but due to Bonds international market

Thank you Colonel. I have been wrestling with how to interpret the Risky Buisness article. You made excellent points. I dont think its as easy as finsing the break even point anymore. The producers have to project home release value and the worth of doing that in time for Christmas must be a factor.

Another good point — it'll be on VOD by Thanksgiving and Blu Ray by Christmas. That's a pretty big deal that they'll miss out on if it gets pushed.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Its unlikely the premiere (if they have one) will be at the Royal Albert Hall, only available dates in release week are Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th September. Everything else either side is booked up.

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/

Could be Tuesday though, if the whole Wembley thing isnt happening.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Its unlikely the premiere (if they have one) will be at the Royal Albert Hall, only available dates in release week are Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th September. Everything else either side is booked up.

Staples Center, LA has lots of openings between 9/30 and 10/8. That was one of the rumored venues in that article from a few months ago. There are large events happening all over the U.S. currently so at the moment, nothing is stopping this.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Surely this has to be scaremongering and negative thinking?
    To delay again would be the final nail in the coffin for this film. People's patience will begin to wear so thin, they'll be on a hiding to nothing before it's even released

Any more news on the promotional material starting up again?

Why should those dates be unlikely?

Those are exactly the dates they used at previous premieres.
    Almost every time it's the monday or tuesday.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Jan1985 depends how quickly the RAH team can turn around these big events, I suppose,
    So we can add possibly securing a spot at one of these venues to the massive pile of costs that will be wasted if they delay again.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Surely this has to be scaremongering and negative thinking?
    To delay again would be the final nail in the coffin for this film. People's patience will begin to wear so thin, they'll be on a hiding to nothing before it's even released

Any more news on the promotional material starting up again?

Nothing since the announcement of a new 1 minute trailer. Wonder if that will drop this week.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 625
    @Jan1985 depends how quickly the RAH team can turn around these big events, I suppose,

I don't think it's the RAH-team, but the Universal-Team, that hosts the premiere.

Starting building everything up in the night from sunday to monday should work for an event on tuesday evening. They would have have the hall for two complete days for themselfs.

In march 2020 they had an event on Sunday, and had the premiere planned for tuesday aswell:

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/archive?start=219
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I reckon they are being realistic and sober minded and forecasting a theatrical performance (US and international) around $700 - 800 million bucks, but hoping that good reviews and strong word of mouth drive the figure up higher than that. (F9 got pretty poor reviews - friends of mine thought it was rubbish - but it still got close to $700 million.) We will soon find out.

F&F is trash but it made 1/3 of its gross in China. Bond won't have such advantage. Plus, previous F&F films were trash too, but the 7th and 8th episodes both made more than SF worldwide. I'm pretty confident that unfortunately NTTD has zero chances to make more than F9. At this point, NTTD would be lucky to hit the $500 million mark.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I think the line "'No Time To Die' now needs to clear $928m at the box office to avoid losing money" isn't all that far off from the truth. The thing that has been pointed out here and surely has to be the $1 billion question is: Is that the one and only thing the people making the call for a delay look at? And I think all of the reasons why they will look at other things (that number only inflates more and more; cutting your losses is a valid business strategy; trying to optimize against the pandemic is a fool's errand; home media might make the film a big chunk of money) have already been mentioned.

The part I am unsure about is what MGM's position is. Basically, they are in the middle of being bought, the price has already been agreed, but still: Can they just go and say: "Yeah, we're going to release our biggest earner at a guaranteed short-term loss, while you are in the middle of buying this company."? Wouldn't they want to keep the possibility of higher earnings alive at least until it isn't really their call to make anymore?

Added to that: The home video strategy and the related income will change, once the MGM sale is through. They will no longer shop the streaming rights around and have it licenced here for a couple of months and then have it there for a bit, taking money everytime and keeping physical media as the surest way you can watch a Bond film. Once Amazon and MGM are done merging, all the Bond films will be on Prime and that's it. Yes, they will keep producing physical media, but will the sale of those not completely crater once there is a stable premium streaming home for the Bond films? If people put "No Time to Die" in the Amazon searchbox, Amazon will surely tell them: "Sure, you could buy that BluRay for $15 or whatever, or you could rent it for $5, but you could also get Prime for $13 a month and watch the film instantly and you'll also get access to every other Bond film and these 5.000 other films..." And bang, off of the film's take that money comes and directly into Jeff's pocket it goes.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,247
    I just need NTTD to come out and make reasonable money, so deeper talks about Bond 26 can start. It's funny I haven't even seen NTTD, but I'm very eager to see Bond 26 come to fruition.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I just need NTTD to come out and make reasonable money, so deeper talks about Bond 26 can start. It's funny I haven't even seen NTTD, but I'm very eager to see Bond 26 come to fruition.

I'd be surprised if they haven't already begun. Big missed opportunity if they haven't been forward planning all this time, upcoming release or not.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,945

All I can say with some certainty is that Bond 26 will be a much cheaper production (probably for the better, too). Bond doesnt need to be a $300m behemoth.

Tend to agree. If Mission Impossible can cost way less and make nearly as much, then I wonder if the studio bosses aren't asking why 007 costs so much.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'd be surprised if they haven't already begun. Big missed opportunity if they haven't been forward planning all this time, upcoming release or not.

Exactly. That's the thing. We just hope they have been thinking about it, even if they usually downplay it.

Not that I disagree with the article, but movies go on to continue making money after a theatrical run. Sure it means that the return takes way way longer, but it isnt the be all and end all.

If it can improve on Fast 9 box office and do, say, $700m, still a solid chunk, then life on home video sales, tv rights, streaming etc. It should do ok.

All I can say with some certainty is that Bond 26 will be a much cheaper production (probably for the better, too). Bond doesnt need to be a $300m behemoth.

Guarantee it'll be cheaper solely because the leading man will get paid orders of magnitude less.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,945

Exactly. That's the thing. We just hope they have been thinking about it, even if they usually downplay it.

Still no sign of a company being formed for the next film though:
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/S-fn_wwzDoscAiw7KWl-vIwbtD4/appointments

As you might notice, Bond 25 Limited was incorporated before Spectre was even released. So where's Bond 26?
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 3,164

And another variable to add - a reputational one. A lot of this discourse is simplistically suggesting the people who want this to come out October instead of waiting for when it could make a billion are just us fans..but there is a whole other angle of industry people hoping it sticks - none more so than cinemas themselves, for which this has been the film that is most symbolic of the COVID crisis. After a year and a half of delays that were indeed more forced by the pandemic closures, now the vaccine is out there and both doses will have been offered to all adults come release date in major markets...a move to 2022 (however well founded from a profitability standpoint) might not end up going down well, IMO. And to think of the subsequent domino effect with other films...if NTTD moves for those reasons, could others?

And another variable to add - a reputational one. A lot of this discourse is simplistically suggesting the people who want this to come out October instead of waiting for when it could make a billion are just us fans..but there is a whole other angle of people hoping it sticks - none more so than cinemas themselves, for which this has been the film that is most symbolic of the COVID crisis. After a year and a half of delays that were indeed more forced by the pandemic closures, now the vaccine is out there and both doses will have been offered to all adults come release date in major markets...a move to 2022 (however well founded from a profitability standpoint) might not end up going down well, IMO. And to think of the subsequent domino effect with other films...

+1. Fully agree. Another delay short of widespread cinema closures would make the studio look really bad I think.
    mtm wrote: »

Still no sign of a company being formed for the next film though:
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/S-fn_wwzDoscAiw7KWl-vIwbtD4/appointments

As you might notice, Bond 25 Limited was incorporated before Spectre was even released. So where's Bond 26?

Yeah. We hope it happens sooner though.

And another variable to add - a reputational one. A lot of this discourse is simplistically suggesting the people who want this to come out October instead of waiting for when it could make a billion are just us fans..but there is a whole other angle of industry people hoping it sticks - none more so than cinemas themselves, for which this has been the film that is most symbolic of the COVID crisis. After a year and a half of delays that were indeed more forced by the pandemic closures, now the vaccine is out there and both doses will have been offered to all adults come release date in major markets...a move to 2022 (however well founded from a profitability standpoint) might not end up going down well, IMO. And to think of the subsequent domino effect with other films...if NTTD moves for those reasons, could others?

Big reason I remain convinced that — barring the situation getting significantly worse — it holds the current date. A lot of symbolism and power in it finally coming out. Who knows, perhaps if it is good they'll get some award buzz for scratching the industry's back...
    NYC just announced vax requirements for all forms of indoor entertainment.

Hopefully by this time next year Christopher Nolan will already be filming Bond 26, which I don't think is an impossible scenario.
    This was posted in the 007 store, not sure if it went live today, but these new posters ship sometime this month. Maybe it’s an indication that they’re still going ahead with the September release date.

https://usa.007store.com/products/james-bond-no-time-to-die-poster-profile-poster-heavyweight-paper
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Hopefully by this time next year Christopher Nolan will already be filming Bond 26, which I don't think is an impossible scenario.

I hope not: did you see Tenet?