No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,933
    mtm wrote: »
    That's interesting: she's still not saying it explicitly, but there's not much doubt that she is talking about the 'debate being centred around her'.
    I think it's so funny that Eon have kind of let her being the new 007 kind of dribble out without either fully denying it (a la Waltz playing 'Oberhauser' in Spectre) nor actually making a big publicity thing of it, which I'd have imagined they would do.

I think they assume - rightly, in my opinion - that the movie will do the talking for them.

Maybe, it just seems a big publicity angle to me. Or a spoiler that you don't promote at all (like Blofeld).

Well, the trouble with that is that there's a very vocal group of people (even among Bond fans) that are absolutely against the idea of a female 007. If you come out and say that Nomi is 007, then you risk alienating a part of your audience, and it's all the internet will talk about, in a very polarising way. That's not what you want from a marketing standpoint, to divide audiences before the film is out. You want people talking about Craig, about that it is the last one, about Safin, and about the Aston Martins to keep the sponsor happy. Nothing that can spur controversy.

And why they aren't flat out denying it? That's more difficult to say, I guess it's because it didn't pay off for Waltz and the Oberhauser/Blofeld thing, people saw that coming regardless what Waltz and BB & MGW said. It's the same with Rami Malek, he isn't flat out denying those Dr. No rumours either. And with Nomi potentially being 007, it's a 'lesser' spoiler. If it turns out to be true, then I suspect they meant for it to be a jaw dropping moment - M says "Where's 007?" and then Nomi steps into the office, something like that.
    And we'll all go "Well, we all saw that coming, right?", like we did with Oberhauser. But the difference is that this is presumably pretty early in the film, whereas the Oberhauser reveal is a third act spoiler, so this is less impactful.

Maybe, but then people are whining anyway because the news has emerged a few times. I don't entirely get the approach. She's obviously been cleared to talk about it, and yet they haven't made a story of it.
    Maybe it will be part of the next wave of publicity for the film- they might need a new angle.

Anyway, here's an interesting thing. Remember the Aston Martin Valhalla which makes an appearance in No Time To Die? Here's how the one in the film looks:

d17ca590-72e5-4eca-9e96-7e5bb79015cc.jpg
    acaa76ffa10d3f11b7353341fa996b45?width=650

The car in the film was not the finished Valhalla however, and wasn't much more than a full scale model on wheels.
    Now, two years is a while in car production, and while the Valhalla hasn't made it on sale just yet, it has been worked on quite a bit, and the version which will make it to sale will look like this:

2022-Aston-Martin-Valhalla-1-900x506.jpg

That's a different car! :D

So will they leave the original concept car in the film? Or do they want to sell more Valhalla cars i.e. digitally replace the old one with the new one?

screen-shot-2020-09-03-at-9-59-59-am-1599142849.png?crop=0.682xw:1.00xh;0.219xw,0&resize=480:*

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The Valhalla reminds me of the BMW Z3 in Goldeneye that wasn't used in any action scene. I wonder why the cars are shown to fans and not used as expected. But I'm still happy Craig has something as frenetic as QoS' car chase.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Ana de Armas is the Bond Woman We Need Now
    https://harpersbazaar.com/uk/beauty/a37063381/ana-de-armas-beauty-interview/

"I tried to have a training plan! My preparation for No Time To Die was not as long as I would have liked it to be. I was shooting Blonde, and I had only a few days to train, so I went straight from Blonde to shoot for Bond. I didn't have the time to actually commit to any kind of diet or workout or training because my schedule just didn’t allow for it.

"Those few days that I did have some training – I had the gun training and learned the choreography for the scenes – were very intense, for sure. It was a short but really intense immersion into the Bond universe, so I quickly transformed into a CIA agent."

"Paloma is actually a really complete character. Cary [Joji Fukunaga, director] created her from zero and he asked me if I wanted to do it. It was very appealing from the very beginning, when he was telling me what he was going to do with the character. I was very excited, and I did feel like she was different, unique. She's definitely something else that I don't think we've seen in other Bond girls in previous movies. She's a lot of fun – very active, very badass!"

Don't tell Michelle Yeoh and half a dozen other kick ass Bond Girl/Women.
    "Only in theaters" until they are closed and Amazon says it has to be streamed because they cannot postpone it again and incur more advertising. Personally, I hope this does not come to fruition but if people are not careful.....................................................
    delfloria wrote: »
    "Only in theaters" until they are closed and Amazon says it has to be streamed because they cannot postpone it again and incur more advertising. Personally, I hope this does not come to fruition but if people are not careful.....................................................

I’d be fine with that if it meant no more delays. But here in the U.S. everything is wide open.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 511

Amazon, as has been stated numerous times, cannot force it to a streamer. That is EON's decision.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BMB007 wrote: »

Amazon, as has been stated numerous times, cannot force it to a streamer. That is EON's decision.

Eon are just the production company who have made the film for the studio though. I'm sure they have a lot of say and I doubt the delivery method could change without their input, but it wouldn't be just their decision. The film was made with MGM's money after all.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 511

Eon are just the production company who have made the film for the studio though. I'm sure they have a lot of say and I doubt the delivery method could change without their input, but it wouldn't be just their decision. The film was made with MGM's money after all.

This is categorically false. https://deadline.com/2021/05/james-bond-no-time-to-die-amazon-mgm-acquisition-1234764548/

Additionally — the merger has not been approved yet and is unlikely to be approved until next year at the earliest, so Amazon is irrelevant.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

This is categorically false. https://deadline.com/2021/05/james-bond-no-time-to-die-amazon-mgm-acquisition-1234764548/

Well no, that's not quite what you were saying. It isn't Eon's 'decision' as you put it: it is because they made it back in 2019 for UA distribution- the distribution method was already agreed back when they made the film.
    So what I said wasn't false at all.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    When would be the latest they could restart the hype machine for this film? Early August?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    When would be the latest they could restart the hype machine for this film? Early August?

I’d say Mid August, to give a six week lead in.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Mallory wrote: »

Cool thanks mate. I'd be happy with that, let's hope you're right
    My slight concern is how EON would put together another trailer wihout revealing much.

I would say: because it's Bond, end of August will do, too.
    It's a well known brand. So they don't need too much time to inform the world, that a new film is coming.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jan1985 wrote: »

I would say: because it's Bond, end of August will do, too.
    It's a well known brand. So they don't need too much time to inform the world, that a new film is coming.

Very true. They could almost do a 007 logo, and maybe an image of Daniel Craig as Bond.
    The brand, the logo and Craig would sell it all.
    Less is more, yes?
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    ggl007 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »

So it looks like the German voice of Craig doesn’t know how the film ends, despite doing the whole dubbing of the character!
    I always suspected, and it’s been years now, that Bond will be presumed dead with the explosion of Safin’s base but we eventually see him in the very end in Matera waiting for Swann and Mathilde, kind of á la TDKR ending.

The fact that his voice didn’t have to dub any lines from the very end reinforces my prediction… we’ll see.

Could you point at the minute when he talks about NTTD? Thanks!

It starts at 4:03
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Whatever they do, I feel it will be big, once committed to the launch.

I suspect all the brands will be there, some with new adverts and material, Bond branding on Heineken, Coca Cola etc. They’ll want to turn it into a massive cultural event.

A huge, firework laiden Premiere at Wembley would do it 😁
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I also think they could also get away with a lil trailer re-edit just to remind people it's coming out. Doesn't have to have anything new, maybe one new shot here and there.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 490
    Contraband wrote: »

Ive got it. Will upload shortly.

Really no useful info but here it:

promise I’ll stop going on about Cannes soon, but here is one of the most wonderful things about it: before the festival is even over, some of its biggest, most exciting titles are already playing in French cinemas. Pop to the UGC Cine Cite in Paris this weekend, for instance, and you could treat yourself to Annette, Benedetta, Bergman Island, Onoda, or the Palme d’Or-winning Titane. No need to worry about dodging spoilers for six months: you could be watching and discussing work from the very cutting edge of the culture, mere days after it was unveiled.

Meanwhile in Britain, one of the best festival films I saw last year has just been pushed back, yet again, until some point in early 2022. Roger Michell’s fabulous art-theft comedy The Duke, starring Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren, was originally due to open in November last year, but during the second round of lockdown reschedulings was moved to a seemingly safe and sound berth on Friday September 3 2021, one day shy of a year after its 2020 premiere at Venice.

But this week it was yanked again by its distributor, Pathé, due to concerns around the latest Covid rates, which show a 24 per cent increase in cases since last week but do appear to be slowing. (Hospitalisations are also on the rise, though the numbers remain far below those seen at the peak of the second wave in January.)

Joining it in limbo was an arguably even more hotly anticipated title: The Green Knight, David Lowery’s Dev Patel-starring Arthurian epic, which had been due to open in early August. On Thursday morning, it too was unexpectedly pulled by its distributor, Entertainment Film, also over fears around the rising Delta-variant numbers. The company told cinemas to take down the posters and remove the trailer from their ad reels, while The Hollywood Reporter suggested the film might now bypass big screens entirely with a streaming release, with one unnamed platform having apparently “dangled a deal that [Entertainment] couldn’t resist.”

Either way, we’re probably in for a wait with this one too, since The Green Knight’s American distributor A24 would be unlikely to wave the film onto the internet in the early days of its theatrical run. (In the US, Lowery’s film is still expected to open in cinemas next weekend.) This week, all eyes in the business have been on Black Widow’s shock box-office nosedive. And while it feels too simple to attribute that film’s fast theatrical fizzle solely to its easy availability online – legally and otherwise – you can bet Hollywood has been spooked.

Covid uncertainty isn’t the only reason a distributor might choose to shelve a film right now: overcrowded schedules and changing awards-season ambitions could equally be factors. Yet we know that in both of these cases, Covid was in fact the main consideration. And there have been others. In the last few weeks, Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham’s Wrath of Man and the Mark Wahlberg/Antoine Fuqua sci-fi action romp Infinite are among the titles to have been quietly removed from the schedules. It feels like we’ve been here before, three times at least.

So is the entire Jenga tower about to collapse? The Duke was due to open three weeks before No Time To Die: should we expect Bond to beat a fourth retreat, chasing the ideal international commercial conditions that only slip further into the distance with every postponement?

Since the last Bond delay in January, the series’ parent studio MGM has been bought by Amazon, so the machinery is now in place for a streaming release on Prime Video should those in power be inclined. Yet franchise honchos Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson very much aren’t: on the day the sale was announced, they even put out a statement stressing their commitment “to continuing to make James Bond films for the worldwide theatrical audience.”

Problem is, asking said audience to wait a further six months would entail another expensive global advertising campaign and cause more misery for cinemas. Perhaps worst of all, it would smack of haplessness: if the Fast & Furious crew and the Suicide Squad can rise above the pandemic, why not MI6’s finest?

Twitchy distributors should remember that cinemas are in a completely different position today than during the regular avalanches of delays in 2020 and early 2021. In England, venues are now allowed – though by no means obliged – to operate at full capacity. No lockdown looms, and in a little over three weeks, the threat of ‘pingdemic’-imposed isolations will have dissipated for the double-jabbed and under-18s.

Unlike last summer, when Tenet was left to hold the fort, a flurry of releases with enormously broad appeal have perked up the market, including the Peter Rabbit, Fast & Furious and A Quiet Place sequels. Since the easing of restrictions in May, more than £85 million has been spent at the UK box office. This has only happened because there have been films to spend £85 million on.

Even as cases rise, the situation calls for confidence. Independent cinemas especially depend on releases like The Green Knight and The Duke – original, intelligent propositions, off the franchise beaten track. Speaking of which, a cheering number of those top-tier Cannes titles have already been acquired for the UK market: MUBI has 11 tremendous ones, including Annette, Benedetta and Bergman Island, while Picturehouses snagged The Souvenir Part II and Altitude got Titane. These films will never be buzzier than they are right now. Before too long, let’s see them.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    ertert wrote: »
    So is the entire Jenga tower about to collapse? The Duke was due to open three weeks before No Time To Die: should we expect Bond to beat a fourth retreat, chasing the ideal international commercial conditions that only slip further into the distance with every postponement?

Since the last Bond delay in January, the series’ parent studio MGM has been bought by Amazon, so the machinery is now in place for a streaming release on Prime Video should those in power be inclined. Yet franchise honchos Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson very much aren’t: on the day the sale was announced, they even put out a statement stressing their commitment “to continuing to make James Bond films for the worldwide theatrical audience.”

Problem is, asking said audience to wait a further six months would entail another expensive global advertising campaign and cause more misery for cinemas. Perhaps worst of all, it would smack of haplessness: if the Fast & Furious crew and the Suicide Squad can rise above the pandemic, why not MI6’s finest?

Thanks man.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,554

Thanks man.

My optimism and excitement have faded in recent days. The film might still be released, but all the planned hoopla (including the huge premiere in Los Angeles) will likely be canceled. :-(

I was hoping Dan would go out with a bang. It appears like it might instead be a quiet exit out the back door.
    TripAces wrote: »

Thanks man.

My optimism and excitement have faded in recent days. The film might still be released, but all the planned hoopla (including the huge premiere in Los Angeles) will likely be canceled. :-(

I was hoping Dan would go out with a bang. It appears like it might instead be a quiet exit out the back door.

Unfortunately I'm growing more skeptical it will be released at any point in the next few years if there are rolling lockdowns and required test results to enter cinemas, given how that has torpedoed ticket sales in France. It's a sick Catch 22 really. The producers are insisting on only releasing it when they can have huge simultaneous theatrical debuts worldwide. Nothing is stopping that from happening in the U.S., but the rest of the world is a different story. Covid will be with us forever, there will always be people who cannot or will not get vaccinated, making this kind of large event difficult to do, so they will just keep holding out, and who knows when we will see this film.

They've made it clear they will only release it when it can debut worldwide in theaters, no exceptions, which seems nearly impossible at any point in the near future.

It will be a very pathetic look for Eon if they bail yet again after Fast & Furious and a few other big movies are still proceeding with release.

Thanks man.

Unfortunately I'm growing more skeptical it will be released at any point in the next few years if there are rolling lockdowns and required test results to enter cinemas, given how that has torpedoed ticket sales in France. It's a sick Catch 22 really. The producers are insisting on only releasing it when they can have huge simultaneous theatrical debuts worldwide. Nothing is stopping that from happening in the U.S., but the rest of the world is a different story. Covid will be with us forever, there will always be people who cannot or will not get vaccinated, making this kind of large event difficult to do, so they will just keep holding out, and who knows when we will see this film.

They've made it clear they will only release it when it can debut worldwide in theaters, no exceptions, which seems nearly impossible at any point in the near future.

It will be a very pathetic look for Eon if they bail yet again after Fast & Furious and a few other big movies are still proceeding with release.

On top of all this, Eon has to move on and get Bond 26 into development and production at some point. Another thing Amazon will be keen on since it is one of the more Important franchises they just purchased.

Thanks man.

On top of all this, Eon has to move on and get Bond 26 into development and production at some point. Another thing Amazon will be keen on since it is one of the more Important franchises they just purchased.

Yeah this franchise will just turn into a bad meme if Eon keeps holding out. There will be so much bad press around the film if they delay further.

Just to be precise, the MGM, Amazon deal is under investigation by the US competition authorities and the sale has not gone through yet. I think NTTD would have to be significantly delayed for the Amazon deal to affect it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2021 Posts: 5,961
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    My slight concern is how EON would put together another trailer wihout revealing much.

I'm happy with zero new information in a new trailer...just repackage what they've already shown with a slick "Just when the world needs him, Bond is back." Don't spoil too much.

I think NTTD will be released in theatres, if not October 2021, then next spring. I'll wear a mask and watch it.
    I'd love it if they decided to just release NTTD in September and stick with this date and hope for the best and then save the massive spectacle for Bond 26. Launching a new era with a new actor. Please Eon stop being so stubborn.
    echo wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I'm happy with zero new information in a new trailer...just repackage what they've already shown with a slick "Just when the world needs him, Bond is back." Don't spoil too much.

I think NTTD will be released in theatres, if not October 2021, then next spring. I'll wear a mask and watch it.

Yeah. That won't hurt.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Could you point at the minute when he talks about NTTD? Thanks!

It starts at 4:03
    Thanks! Sadly I understood only a few words...
    :-/