No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,951
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I think the copyright will be on the books. So like dickens is public free to all Fleming will eventually be so.

The books may be out of copyright eventually, but Danjaq have James Bond 007 (and the book titles) trademarked, which I think would mean no-one could use those words relating to a Bond movie/TV show/radioplay/book without their approval.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited May 2021 Posts: 564
    mtm wrote: »
    I think the copyright will be on the books. So like dickens is public free to all Fleming will eventually be so.

The books may be out of copyright eventually, but Danjaq have James Bond 007 (and the book titles) trademarked, which I think would mean no-one could use those words relating to a Bond movie/TV show/radioplay/book without their approval.

They already are in countries where copyright only extends 50 years after the author's death.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

They already are in countries where copyright only extends 50 years after the author's death.

But I bet James Bond is trademarked there.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited May 2021 Posts: 564

I know there was a short story collection published in Canada a few years ago, all the stories written by Canadian authors. But I don't know the details about where Fleming ends and Eon begins.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I know there was a short story collection published in Canada a few years ago, all the stories written by Canadian authors. But I don't know the details about where Fleming ends and Eon begins.

Was it published legally though? Unofficial Bond works get published all the time: like Some kind Of Hero or The Lost Adventures of James Bond.

'James Bond' is a trademark, owned by Danjaq, in Canada
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hi-res version from the Heineken website:

james-bond-hero.jpg
    Of course EON will maintain the trademark for as long as they produce the Bond films but if they ever stop making them I believe some entity will step up to license the property.
    I think everyone will be allowed to make a Film from a Fleming novel without asking EON/Danjaq.

The only thing is: they have to stick to the book. And of course, they are not allowed to use EON-inventions like "Bond, James Bond", the gunbarrel, the music and everything else, that was not in the books.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I think everyone will be allowed to make a Film from a Fleming novel without asking EON/Danjaq.

The only thing is: they have to stick to the book. And of course, they are not allowed to use EON-inventions like "Bond, James Bond", the gunbarrel, the music and everything else, that was not in the books.

They won't be able to use the character/name of James Bond 007 or, most likely, the title of whichever book they choose. So I don't really see the point.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Of course EON will maintain the trademark for as long as they produce the Bond films but if they ever stop making them I believe some entity will step up to license the property.

Danjaq may well license the character out to another production company at some point, just as they let Ian Fleming Publications use Bond etc. They may even sell it at some point, yes.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    QBranch wrote: »
    Hi-res version from the Heineken website:

james-bond-hero.jpg

Thanks for sharing mate. The colours in this film look so rich and exciting
    I wonder if when they release the behind the scenes book, they'll be many pictures in it that we haven't seen in some form?
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder if when they release the behind the scenes book, they'll be many pictures in it that we haven't seen in some form?
    My pleasure, buddy. The Jamaica section is what I'm looking forward to most. Didn't they film in one of the Norwegian towns? Don't think we've seen official images of in the town yet.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Amazon & MGM Continuing Talks Puts Spotlight On Theatrical Distribution Of ‘No Time To Die’ & Upcoming Slate

"One source mentioned that some producers’ attorneys have already spoken with MGM business affairs folks and if the Amazon acquisition goes through “it would only be positive, that deals won’t be disrupted” for them. Among the big features MGM has on its 2021 slate via UAR is the Aretha Franklin biopic Respect (August 13), The Addams Family 2 (October 1), No Time to Die (October 8), the Ridley Scott-directed Lady Gaga-Adam Driver pic House of Gucci (November 26), the untitled Paul Thomas Anderson movie (November 26) and Joe Wright’s Cyrano (December 24).

After a year-plus of the pandemic saw several studios send their theatrical releases to streaming the most ambitious of these being Warner Bros dropping its entire theatrical slate this year on HBO Max day-and-date much to the ire of talent and talent reps; of course, there’s always the possibility that a theatrical-release deal could become untangled into a streaming one. As of this minute, word is the rest of MGM’s 2021 theatrical slate is safe.

In regards to whether the 2022 MGM theatrical slate goes directing to Amazon Prime, or theatrical-day-and-date streaming, that remains unknown. MGM and Amazon provided no comment in regards to MGM’s 2021 theatrical slate and beyond.

Above all, MGM/Eon’s upcoming 007 film No Time to Die, which reps Daniel Craig’s final turn as James Bond, is definitely destined for a big-screen release, currently scheduled for October 8. Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson have already determined that to be so. Broccoli reportedly nixed a deal for No Time to Die to be licensed to a streamer last fall. Cursory talks were held between MGM and streamers like Apple, Netflix and Amazon on whether they’d take a one-year license of No Time to Die for $600 million (none of the streamers were willing to put up more than half). Universal is handling No Time to Die overseas."

https://deadline.com/2021/05/amazon-mgm-theatrical-distribution-no-time-to-die-film-slate-1234762211/

51195448468_fce860722c_o.jpg

I picked up Nomi's sunglasses from Le Specs for a grand total of 54 bucks. Score! On sale:

https://lespecs.com/products/the-flex-satin-black-smoke-mono-las1702121

But what's also cool is that you can try the glasses on with the 'virtual try on' function by uploading a photo of yourself, and the site puts the glasses on your photo. I uploaded a photo of Nomi from the Nokia advert, and look how it turned out:

51196300375_5d98e6b942_o.png
    Jan1985 wrote: »

They won't be able to use the character/name of James Bond 007 or, most likely, the title of whichever book they choose. So I don't really see the point.
    delfloria wrote: »

Danjaq may well license the character out to another production company at some point, just as they let Ian Fleming Publications use Bond etc. They may even sell it at some point, yes.

I'm sure EON cannot maintain the rights to the names 70 years after Fleming's death.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ok this who owns the rights stuff, it’ll become public domain stuff has nothing to do with NTTD.
    Let’s keep such discussion out of this thread and in a more appropriate one. Thanks
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    My pleasure, buddy. The Jamaica section is what I'm looking forward to most. Didn't they film in one of the Norwegian towns? Don't think we've seen official images of in the town yet.
    James-Bond-007insta.jpg?x88026
    EdixEK3XYAEro-7.jpg
    These two images alone make me excited for the Jamaica sequence. I can't wait to see these on the big screen.
    That's true mate, I'm glad there's parts of this film we aren't familiar with, like parts of the Norway scenes

What is the name of Bond's boat?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've not seen that beach shot before, that's very nice.
    Not sure he has named the Spirit yacht.
    EdixEK3XYAEro-7.jpg
    These two images alone make me excited for the Jamaica sequence. I can't wait to see these on the big screen.
    That's true mate, I'm glad there's parts of this film we aren't familiar with, like parts of the Norway scenes

Goldeneye estate/Blackwell's hotel has the same pool shape on the lot (scrolled the insta account the other day)
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 820
    EdixEK3XYAEro-7.jpg

Second one gives me such Dr. No vibes.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Too damn cool...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I hope they don't just have Jamaica for one scene.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Even more exotic as we haven't even been allowed to visit Anywhere for ages ;)
    I must admit I lifted the look for a recent trip to Punta Cana.

yLTCb4U.jpg
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    EdixEK3XYAEro-7.jpg

Second one gives me such Dr. No vibes.

Massively! Just to have a bit of fun… If I had to guess NTTD will be 2 parts Dr. No, 2 parts novel YOLT, 1 part CR, and 1 part SP.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    talos7 wrote: »
    I must admit I lifted the look for a recent trip to Punta Cana.

yLTCb4U.jpg

Is that you? If so, congrats on the Bond lookalike fit!
    edited May 2021 Posts: 7,975
    That’s me, and “ bargain Bond” attire.
    Lol

No they didn't film in a Norwegian town. They filmed in a Norwegian forest where they built the villa.
    Someone wrote: »

No they didn't film in a Norwegian town. They filmed in a Norwegian forest where they built the villa.

Langvann, Hakadal