No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Anyone planning on attending this? It's free and in London tomorrow

• tqbtqb
    A lot of people have been freaking out because the actors haven't read the script. I think EON is just trying to be very tight lipped after the Sony script leaks during Spectre
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I agree with Benny. And also everybody who thinks Fukunaga and Sandgren look like a surefire successful partnership for Bond 25.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I agree with Benny. And also everybody who thinks Fukunaga and Sandgren look like a surefire successful partnership for Bond 25.

Agree. I think they're gonna knock it out of the park based on what I've seen so far.

Agree. I think they're gonna knock it out of the park based on what I've seen so far.

I have no concern with them both, just admiration and curiosity. My only concern is with the story and the characterisation of our man Bond. That being said, I'm pretty optimistic.
    Univex wrote: »

I have no concern with them both, just admiration and curiosity. My only concern is with the story and the characterisation of our man Bond. That being said, I'm pretty optimistic.

These have been my main concerns during the production of every post-CR film, so I have gotten used to them! I too am very optimistic. I think we're going to get something different and very interesting this time out.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I still have no idea why Fukunaga is thought of as a "good fit" for a James Bond movie. He has no experience directing the type of Big budget popcorn fun blockbuster that Bond is. If anything his flight-risk status is more of a liability. And what evidence is there that they have "knocked it out of the park"? Look at the troubled productions of QoS and SPECTRE, and how those compromised the finished product. At this point I am hopjng they don't push things back again, because if they do there is a chance that people won't remember the story so far and be confused. Imagine if there was a 5 year gap between Infinity War and End Game.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I still have no idea why Fukunaga is thought of as a "good fit" for a James Bond movie.

Uh... because he's talented as hell, with a firm grasp of story-telling- no matter the genre- and he has a unique ability to be able to meld genres, and; the results are always intelligent, but, most of all, entertaining.
    And what evidence is there that they have "knocked it out of the park"?

You seem to have your tenses mixed up, there. I said I was confident that they will. Not that they already have. There is quite a difference, as I'm sure you understand.
    peter wrote: »
    I still have no idea why Fukunaga is thought of as a "good fit" for a James Bond movie.

Uh... because he's talented as hell, with a firm grasp of story-telling- no matter the genre- and he has a unique ability to be able to meld genres, and; the results are always intelligent, but, most of all, entertaining.

+1
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I still have no idea why Fukunaga is thought of as a "good fit" for a James Bond movie. He has no experience directing the type of Big budget popcorn fun blockbuster that Bond is. If anything his flight-risk status is more of a liability. And what evidence is there that they have "knocked it out of the park"? Look at the troubled productions of QoS and SPECTRE, and how those compromised the finished product. At this point I am hopjng they don't push things back again, because if they do there is a chance that people won't remember the story so far and be confused. Imagine if there was a 5 year gap between Infinity War and End Game.

By that rationale, I can't imagine your reaction to Spielberg directing Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
    The director of a shark movie and a movie about aliens in a small US town is now directing a film about an archaeologist/ teacher who goes after a religious artefact, whilst pursued by the Nazis. He has no experience directing this type of action movie.
    Mendes had little to no experience directing a Bond film before SF. Same as Campbell with GoldenEye. Or even Apted with TWINE. CJF has been chosen as director because of his past ability and vision as a director. Whether that vision is appealing to audiences next year remains to be seen. But so far many fans are happy and excited for what will come.
    CJF can tell a story well which will come as a pleasant change after Mendes.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Benny wrote: »

By that rationale, I can't imagine your reaction to Spielberg directing Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
    The director of a shark movie and a movie about aliens in a small US town is now directing a film about an archaeologist/ teacher who goes after a religious artefact, whilst pursued by the Nazis. He has no experience directing this type of action movie.
    Mendes had little to no experience directing a Bond film before SF. Same as Campbell with GoldenEye. Or even Apted with TWINE. CJF has been chosen as director because of his past ability and vision as a director. Whether that vision is appealing to audiences next year remains to be seen. But so far many fans are happy and excited for what will come.

And theres nothing wrong with people feeling that, I just don't understand it. I suppose Its all a matter of prospective, as Danny boy would say. Your examples of Speilberg and Campbell don't really fit with what I was saying, because they HAD directed big fun popcorn movies before. Jaws was a big spectalce movie that captured the general audience imagination. And Mask of Zorro reimagined a dated chactered and successfully brought him back into the public eye. When I was 5 I wanted to be Zorro from that Movie. Cary while great in his field I'm sure, have never done anything like that before. Most of his work is targeted towards a specific demographic. A family of five wouldn't go to the cinema to see Jane Eyre, or IT, or Beasts of no Nation. IMO Bond was always supposed to be great entertainment that anyone could watch. Thats why when there is lewdness, it is most often couched in innuendo. Cary Fukunaga seems to only make things with an adult centric audience in mind, which we already had with Skyfall and quite frankly I am really getting sick of. I'm sick of pretending like Bond is oscar material, and treating it like a serious drama and commentary on the times we live in. I can't wait until we can drop that pretense altogether and embrace Bond for the over-the-top fun which Bond should be. Fukunaga might well be a talented filmmaker, but it doesn't automatically mean he's a fit a franchise like this. I think The Last Jedi was kinda the ultimate warning against something like this. Disney have been reeling ever since that movie came out, and Star Wars is now in the position of having to win fans back over with their next installment. I fear we could be in for a similar outcome with Bond if we are not careful.

Skyfall was a massive success, but it was also a massive risk, and to me this is like winning a fortune at the roulette table once and then trying to do it again. Serendipity had its part to play the first time, and trying to reproduce that is a fools errand if you ask me. But by all means, others are allowed their own views, I'll just have to remain sceptical.

And theres nothing wrong with people feeling that, I just don't understand it. I suppose Its all a matter of prospective, as Danny boy would say. Your examples of Speilberg and Campbell don't really fit with what I was saying, because they HAD directed big fun popcorn movies before. Jaws was a big spectalce movie that captured the general audience imagination. And Mask of Zorro reimagined a dated chactered and successfully brought him back into the public eye. When I was 5 I wanted to be Zorro from that Movie. Cary while great in his field I'm sure, have never done anything like that before. Most of his work is targeted towards a specific demographic. A family of five wouldn't go to the cinema to see Jane Eyre, or IT, or Beasts of no Nation. IMO Bond was always supposed to be great entertainment that anyone could watch. Thats why when there is lewdness, it is most often couched in innuendo. Cary Fukunaga seems to only make things with an adult centric audience in mind, which we already had with Skyfall and quite frankly I am really getting sick of. I'm sick of pretending like Bond is oscar material, and treating it like a serious drama and commentary on the times we live in. I can't wait until we can drop that pretense altogether and embrace Bond for the over-the-top fun which Bond should be. Fukunaga might well be a talented filmmaker, but it doesn't automatically mean he's a fit a franchise like this. I think The Last Jedi was kinda the ultimate warning against something like this. Disney have been reeling ever since that movie came out, and Star Wars is now in the position of having to win fans back over with their next installment. I fear we could be in for a similar outcome with Bond if we are not careful.

Skyfall was a massive success, but it was also a massive risk, and to me this is like winning a fortune at the roulette table once and then trying to do it again. Serendipity had its part to play the first time, and trying to reproduce that is a fools errand if you ask me. But by all means, others are allowed their own views, I'll just have to remain sceptical.

I agree that the pretentiousness is wearing a little thin but diverge in terms of not necessarily seeing Bond as just over the top popcorn. Entertainment comes in many forms and what I don't want is a return to TWINE or DAD style tedium.

Bond films should be tense and thrilling, with wit, great dialogue and top notch but sparingly used action. The exact mix should vary from film to film but the last thing I want is just generic big action scenes for the hell of it.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 4,619
    They fired one of the most talented British directors of our time just months before filming, and needed to find a replacement quickly. Be gratful they didn't pick S.J. Clarkson. Now THAT would have been a disaster. :))
    PP are you in any way looking forward to CJF's Bond 25?
    They fired one of the most talented British directors of our time just months before filming, and needed to find a replacement quickly. Be gratful they didn't pick S.J. Clarkson. Now THAT would have been a disaster. :))

I remember your rationale for not hiring her, was her glasses…
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,665
    PP are you in any way looking forward to CJF's Bond 25?

PP will be calling CJF the great CJF in no time. And he'll put it in his shelve right next to CN, the great CN.

Well, at least I hope so ;)
    Right, @PanchitoPistoles? ;)

PS: I really dislike Boyle, so I am so happy. Ever since he was let go. CJF was a real present after that, the best news since. Well there's Ana de Armas... and Felix returning... and those first pics in Jamaica... Damn, this film is going to be great.
    The return of Wright’s Leiter really got my excitement level up. I’m hoping Ana de Armas has more than a cameo.
  • BondMiscBondMisc South Derbyshire
    edited June 2019 Posts: 5
    Pavlo wrote: »

If you look closely at the photo's in this article you can see what I'm guessing is the Porton Down set? Nice to get a sneaky glimpse at the set.

Her Social Justice Warrior Spectacles.

ah, I remember that. Precious. Stuff for the ages.
  • manovermanover uk
    Surely some of this Mendes hate is becoming abit silly?
    Skyfall got great reviews and traction with audiences and made a billion dollars.
    Spectre got decent to ok reviews..and made nearly 900 million dollars.
    Whether u like him or not he took bond to another level and made bond compete with other big franchises out there.
    This surely must be respected.

Yes, that was the term! Stuff for the ages indeed.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Nah. Leaving during script development is very different than leaving during production. It won't happen.
    manover wrote: »
    Skyfall got great reviews and traction with audiences and made a billion dollars.
    Whether u like him or not he took bond to another level and made bond compete with other big franchises out there.

It really should. I, for one, loved the Mendes years, production wise. He was a true fan, gone awry with the single bullet to the head that was SP. But always to be redeemed and respected because of his first brilliant effort and love for the franchise. And he is a very good director of theatre and film.
    manover wrote: »
    Transformers.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The last two Bond films aren't Transformers, are they.

Except it never happened. I said she should not be hired because she was a SJW. I also said that she had SJW glasses. I never said she shouldn't be hired because of her SJW glasses. The Barbara Broccoli acolytes can try to rewrite history all they want, they will fail.

Except it never happened. I said she should not be hired because she was a SJW. I also said that she had SJW glasses. I never said she shouldn't be hired because of her SJW glasses. The Barbara Broccoli acolytes can try to rewrite history all they want, they will fail.

Excellent :))
    The last two Bond films aren't Transformers, are they.
    No, of Course not. I was just expressing my opinion that the Point that Mendes made the Bond Franchise compete with other huge franchises doesn´t mean much in Terms of the Question of how happy that makes me.