No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing any
    explosions

when I scroll through the clips.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The above posts don't need to be in spoiler tags for this thread.

And yes, that footage is awesome.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,272
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    explosions

You have to watch the clip from Filmweb.no (link above the Instagram videos):
    https://www.filmweb.no/filmnytt/article1397793.ece
    QBranch wrote: »
    It definitely looks like we might be in for a treat with this sequence. One thing I came to think of:
    The first half of the clip shows them filming when there's still light, while the last bit is filmed at night.

Is the first half footage likely of a "test run" with the helicopter and the plane, with the sequence (and explosion) taking place at night – or could this be for two separate scenes? One could think that the ship is some sort of base for Felix/CIA, or even Malek's people.
    Clearly a test run. They only have one boat to blow!
    Of course they only have one boat to blow, I was really just speculating if they might have filmed for two separate scenes – one taking place in daylight, and one at night.
    Same camera positioning; sea plane following the same path of motion. One scene.

Yeah, that's right. The positioning of the guy filming the sequence changes a bit from the daylight shoot to the night shoot. Fooled me a bit.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    explosions

It definitely looks like we might be in for a treat with this sequence. One thing I came to think of:
    The first half of the clip shows them filming when there's still light, while the last bit is filmed at night.

Is the first half footage likely of a "test run" with the helicopter and the plane, with the sequence (and explosion) taking place at night – or could this be for two separate scenes? One could think that the ship is some sort of base for Felix/CIA, or even Malek's people.
    Of course they only have one boat to blow, I was really just speculating if they might have filmed for two separate scenes – one taking place in daylight, and one at night.
    Same camera positioning; sea plane following the same path of motion. One scene.

Yeah, that's right. The positioning of the guy filming the sequence changes a bit from the daylight shoot to the night shoot. Fooled me a bit.

Does anyone else get he impression the Cuban scenes do not include Bond? Could this be where the Sceintist is captured?
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    explosions

Does anyone else get he impression the Cuban scenes do not include Bond? Could this be where the Sceintist is captured?

It's certainly a possibility.
    An entire location that never features Bond? Seems unlikely.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Cuba is merely an assumption at this point.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    This action sequence looks quite original for the series.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2019 Posts: 4,554
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    explosions

FWIW, I'm thinking the scientist is captured in Russia. Those are the Norway scenes filmed in March. Pure speculation, of course. Another thing...

I'm also not so sure that the kidnapped scientist is at all connected to the dangerous technology. The connection is only loosely implied, because of the wording of EON's synopsis. I think it might be misleading. The scientist may be an asset, in some other way. If the Norway shoot is indeed the scientist's capture, then who is the girl?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Cuba is merely an assumption at this point.

Wasn't the huge "viva la revolucion" billboard a bit of a give away?
    Aston Martin just announced a new partnership with Eon Productions and have produced a new DBS to honour the 50th anniversary of OHMSS. it's a beautiful looking car, and my first thought on seeing the tweet was that the car was intended for Bond 25. Though this is currently not the case.....

However......considering Bond is off active service, I'm willing to bet money that the new MI6 agent owns the Aston this time out, especially if they are a 00. This may be where the Rapide E comes in.

Also, I was scrolling through Aston Martins' twitter feed and it seems that Chris Corbould has been instrumental in rebuilding numerous DB5s.

We are fairly certain the film starts in Matera and Sassi Live speculated there would be an Aston Martin chase................Considering Spectre ended with Bond driving off in the DB5, could we see Bond 25 opening with Bond and Madeleine in a car chase with Bond in his tricked out DB5?

Personally I'd love to see the vintage DB5 in a a proper chase again! We haven't seen it in an action sequence in GE - and even then that was quite minor.

Nothing new, but TV2 have published a short video interview with Per Henry Borch (of Truenorth) – the guy responsible for getting Bond to Norway, and who took the producers on location scouting in 2017. The interview covers his work in general, and an award he's now been given for promoting Norway. In addition to some clips and behind the scenes from MI: Falout etc., you also see a few seconds from the shooting of Bond 25 earlier this year.

https://www.tv2.no/a/10618683/
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Aston Martin just announced a new partnership with Eon Productions and have produced a new DBS to honour the 50th anniversary of OHMSS. it's a beautiful looking car, and my first thought on seeing the tweet was that the car was intended for Bond 25. Though this is currently not the case.....

Oh man! That has to be in the film. Gorgeous. That grill alone could eat Rami Malek alive ;)

However......considering Bond is off active service, I'm willing to bet money that the new MI6 agent owns the Aston this time out, especially if they are a 00. This may be where the Rapide E comes in.

Also, I was scrolling through Aston Martins' twitter feed and it seems that Chris Corbould has been instrumental in rebuilding numerous DB5s.

We are fairly certain the film starts in Matera and Sassi Live speculated there would be an Aston Martin chase................Considering Spectre ended with Bond driving off in the DB5, could we see Bond 25 opening with Bond and Madeleine in a car chase with Bond in his tricked out DB5?

Personally I'd love to see the vintage DB5 in a a proper chase again! We haven't seen it in an action sequence in GE - and even then that was quite minor.

I'd be happy if we never saw the damn DB5 in a Bond film ever again
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,272

The Aston Martin DBS Superleggera pictured here is alright, but those hubcaps… :-&
    Also, the 1969 DBS on the right looks sooooo much better!
    Getafix wrote: »

Agreed, overused.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 6,677

The Aston Martin DBS Superleggera pictured here is alright, but those hubcaps… :-&

That, on both accounts, is unfortunately true.

I'll never, ever understand that opinion, @Getafix. For me it's quintessential, as is the ppk. They are Bond's choices. And have been for 55 years. If we can't have the blower Bentley (for that would make no sense, as it's impractical as anything of that era can be nowadays), why not have that piece of history, which is still one of the most beautiful cars ever made. In 1955, the blower was already an old thing, but Bond kept it and was a bit obsessed with it. Why can't a 38 year old guy from 2006 keep an old Aston if he can, and be obsessed by it? I would if I could. It's the same thing about the ppk. As it got a real stopping power, compared to the glocks and the asps, or whatever, no. But it is his choice. The choice of a man who doesn't change with the world. The choice of a relic.

So, I'll never understand that stance.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Univex wrote: »

That, on both accounts, is unfortunately true.

I'll never, ever understand that opinion, @Getafix. For me it's quintessential, as is the ppk. They are Bond's choices. And have been for 55 years. If we can't have the blower Bentley (for that would make no sense, as it's impractical as anything of that era can be nowadays), why not have that piece of history, which is still one of the most beautiful cars ever made. In 1955, the blower was already an old thing, but Bond kept it and was a bit obsessed with it. Why can't a 38 year old guy from 2006 keep an old Aston if he can, and be obsessed by it? I would if I could. It's the same thing about the ppk. As it got a real stopping power, compared to the glocks and the asps, or whatever, no. But it is his choice. The choice of a man who doesn't change with the world. The choice of a relic.

So, I'll never understand that stance.

This is all well and good, but using something like the DB5 in a chase sequence as suggested above is borderline comical if the opposition has any sort of power under the hood. The DB5 does make me smile every time I see it, but I'd rather it strictly be Bond's personal car and shown for a brief moment (if we are to follow the logic you presented above, which is sound) rather than it be involved in any sort of action where it becomes something to be made fun of.

Case in point: the chase with Xenia in GE. Seeing the DB5 is always pleasurable, and seeing Broz behind the wheel of it is great, but the idea of it even keeping up with (never mind beating) a Ferrari F355 is ridiculous.

So yes, while you are right to a degree about these elements being quintissential, @Univex, there has to be a line where these elements become highly impractical.

Regarding the PPK, one of the details I admire about QOS is that Bond is consistently switching sidearms throughout. He doesn't always carry the PPK. He moves from it to various Sig-Sauer models throughout the film all the way to the finale, and then back to the PPK again in the final scenes. That's what an agent would do in the field, I feel.

So, there is a balance that can be struck here that could please everyone. And if they do choose to include the DB5 in B25, I hope they find that same kind of balance. The signs look good so far.

But of course, these are very minor details....if that balance is sacrificed in favour of a compelling story and some inventive action, then I won't be complaining too much.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425
    There is nothing quintessential about the DB5. We survived without it for 25 years. Most of the best Bond films have not featured it. It's a lazy fanboy device that appeals to people like Sam Mendes. Lets shelve it and put it back in the archive where it belongs.

These nostalgia fests don't help. They just turn Bond into a tired greatest hits tribute act.

Yes they don't help themselves by doing that.
    I wouldn't ever begrudge others having their own opinions. And there are certainly elements of the Bond franchise that some love, which don't work for me at all.

But if there's a stage of Bond fandom where you don't love the DB5 as an icon and aren't happy for every possible opportunity you get to see it...well, just personally, I hope I never get there.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Agree with never seeing the DB5 again. I want to see original cars. New Aston Martins, I'm also very okay with other vintage cars.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20190515/james-bond-star-hurt-while-filming-portland-actor-reportedly-flown

In light of previous injuries that Craig has suffered, entertainment consultant Jerome Hamilton says his injury in Jamaica is just par for the course.

“We read stories behind the making of movies all the time. I’d be surprised if this shines a bad light on production in Jamaica,” he said. According to Hamilton, word from the set is that the energy has been great, and the cast and crew love working in Jamaica.

The experience has proven very pleasant for at least one Jamaican radio personality, Nikki Z, who may get to share screen time with the hunky hero. “I was amazingly surprised with the way that they represented African-Americans on the set,” the popular broadcaster told The Gleaner.

It was reported that the plot of the upcoming instalment finds Bond retired in the Caribbean – before he’s coerced or enticed to take on another high-flying mission full of chases, gadgetry and damsels.

“It wasn’t something where you saw a lot of us ‘European’ed’ out. You saw us as we are naturally – a lot of locs, natural hair, melanin. You saw so much culture from what I was involved in, that it made me feel proud. I don’t know how or why or where that ends up in the film, but I will say that the experience in itself was amazing, being on the set with so many creative people,” she shared.

Nikki Z also confirmed that she saw a blend of international and local crew. “I was pleasantly surprised by how many were running their respective departments, but I wasn’t present for everything,” she clarified.
    I really hope this doesn't mean we see significantly less of Bond in Jamaica than they'd originally planned.
    I really hope this doesn't mean we see significantly less of Bond in Jamaica than they'd originally planned.
    They are saying the exact opposite.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Is she referring to anyone black as “African American”?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Uh, why are people still using spoiler tags for minor things? Is the possible fictional path of a helicopter really a major plot point?

Yes because it will be a heli flewn by B
    Tiresome. They are saying exactly the opposite. Why are you always so negative?
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Uh, why are people still using spoiler tags for minor things? Is the possible fictional path of a helicopter really a major plot point?

Yes because it will be a heli flewn by B
    Tiresome. They are saying exactly the opposite. Why are you always so negative?

Who is saying the exact opposite?

The report says Craig left Jamaica due to an injury. Unless he had already wrapped up filming this means he will have to return to Jamaica again later on or they adapt the film to work around Craig not being available.