Agatha Christie's Poirot and Other Detective Fiction Discussion (Novels, Stories, Film, TV & Radio)

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Revelator wrote: »

With Dahl, Fleming and now Christie this sadly appears to be happening across the board with classic authors. It's all part of the insidious snowball effect of self-censorship.
    Revelator wrote: »

Given that she was a woman of her time with prejudices against, well, pretty much every non White and non Christian people, and that transpires in her stories, I don't think there'll be much of Christie's work to read. I guess she's never had anything against Belgium. And French speakers in general.
    Enjoying the Marple series again. I like all the Marple actresses, but Geraldine McEwan is the one I enjoy most.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Nothing will beat Joan Hickson's Miss Marple for me, though its the one i grew up watching.
    I never found Miss Marple believable. A busybody who is a detective? Can't buy it.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 17,787
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I never found Miss Marple believable. A busybody who is a detective? Can't buy it.

I've never watched any Miss Marple adaptations and have only read a few of the Poirot novels but I take your point. These sort of amateur sleuths with no police background always seem to be on the scene when a murder happens. That's where they eventually lose credibility, especially over time. An extreme example would be Jessica Fletcher in Murder, She Wrote who seems to be followed by murders everywhere she goes. It all becomes very silly after a while. I also doubt that the actual police would take very kindly to an elderly spinster always stepping on their toes and meddling in what is essentially police business alone. At least Poirot had a background in the Belgian police and was a private detective more in the mould of his famous consulting detective predecessor, Sherlock Holmes.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    An extreme example would be Jessica Fletcher in Murder, She Wrote who seems to be followed by murders everywhere she goes.

That's because she committed those murders and made hundreds of innocent people take the rap for them. Jessica Fletcher is the most successful serial killer in the history of humankind. And remember that she was played by Angela Lansbury, who portrayed one of the most unspeakably evil women imaginable in The Manchurian Candidate. IT ALL ADDS UP. Murder, She Wrote? Murder She Committed!!!!

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    There were only 13 Miss Marple books so it was kept to a minimum which for me makes Miss Marple more plausible. Many of the Miss Marple dramatizations are taken from none miss Marple stories.

I've never watched any Miss Marple adaptations and have only read a few of the Poirot novels but I take your point. These sort of amateur sleuths with no police background always seem to be on the scene when a murder happens. That's where they eventually lose credibility, especially over time. An extreme example would be Jessica Fletcher in Murder, She Wrote who seems to be followed by murders everywhere she goes. It all becomes very silly after a while. I also doubt that the actual police would take very kindly to an elderly spinster always stepping on their toes and meddling in what is essentially police business alone. At least Poirot had a background in the Belgian police and was a private detective more in the mould of his famous consulting detective predecessor, Sherlock Holmes.
    Yes there's a lot of that: if Poirot often stretched credibility, he was a professional. Marple was just an elderly busybody.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    As a German, I was weaned (sort of, we only got a TV set when I was 9) on the Margaret Rutherford films: Murder She Said, Murder At The Gallop, Murder Ahoy and Murder Most Foul:. Those were shown on German TV (albeit, of course, dubbed in German) for as long as I can remember. Everyone agrees that Margaret Rutherford was nowhere near Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, but she definitly nailed that role and defined the character for generations over here.
    Being where murders just happen to take place, Miss Marple is no less preposterous than Poirot. I enjoy both. JM may not be police trained, but she is a keen observer, a reader of detective fiction, and smart.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

It'll be interesting to see a later Poirot novel adapted, in this case Hallowe'en Party (1969) which, unlike the previous two Branagh Poirot films, has never been filmed before.

It'll be interesting to see a later Poirot novel adapted, in this case Hallowe'en Party (1969) which, unlike the previous two Branagh Poirot films, has never been filmed before.
    There is a David Suchet adaptation of it. It was the first Poirot novel I read. Not the most typical Christie mystery, the murder is somewhat less elaborate, but it's an interesting one and one of the darkest of her novels. Like ATTWN, it's almost a horror story.

There is a David Suchet adaptation of it. It was the first Poirot novel I read. Not the most typical Christie mystery, the murder is somewhat less elaborate, but it's an interesting one and one of the darkest of her novels. Like ATTWN, it's almost a horror story.

Yes, I remember seeing a bit of that one when it was originally broadcast. I think they updated the story to the 1960s. Although the novel was first published in 1969 I think the story must be set a good bit earlier than that.
    I thought Brannagh's first two attempts at Poirot were disappointing, The Haunting of Venice teaser does look good, its not my favorite Poirot story though I think its a good choice for a movie. Ariadne Oliver did not appear to be in the trailer?

Yes, I remember seeing a bit of that one when it was originally broadcast. I think they updated the story to the 1960s. Although the novel was first published in 1969 I think the story must be set a good bit earlier than that.

It's a tough one to adapt: the source material is set in an untypical time for a Christie novel, you'd imagine her stories to be set in the 20s-30s. Poirot as a character in the 60s doesn't quite work, given that he was already a man past his prime in 1917. Then again Halloween was not nearly as big in the 20s-30s,,especially in England, and the young people in the novel behave like 60s people.

On a side note, if it's not her best mystery, it has one of her darkest villains and maybe the most interesting one. And just how many murders are committed? It's almost a slasher.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 17,787

It's a tough one to adapt: the source material is set in an untypical time for a Christie novel, you'd imagine her stories to be set in the 20s-30s. Poirot as a character in the 60s doesn't quite work, given that he was already a man past his prime in 1917. Then again Halloween was not nearly as big in the 20s-30s,,especially in England, and the young people in the novel behave like 60s people.

On a side note, if it's not her best mystery, it has one of her darkest villains and maybe the most interesting one. And just how many murders are committed? It's almost a slasher.

I have a copy of the novel in my collection. I must read it some time as it sounds rather intriguing. I've not read a Poirot novel from that late in her writing career. It's an interesting choice for a film adaptation as it's probably one of her less well known novels. I was reading reviews for her last written (though not published) Poirot novel Elephants Can Remember (1972) and they were pretty terrible. It's speculated that Dame Agatha may have been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease in her last years and this obviously adversely affected her subsequent writing.
    Here in the U.S., Endeavour wrapped up last night. A great series. Did the finale deliver?

I have a copy of the novel in my collection. I must read it some time as it sounds rather intriguing. I've not read a Poirot novel from that late in her writing career. It's an interesting choice for a film adaptation as it's probably one of her less well known novels. I was reading reviews for her last written (though not published) Poirot novel Elephants Can Remember (1972) and they were pretty terrible. It's speculated that Dame Agatha may have been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease in her last years and this obviously adversely affected her subsequent writing.

Hallowe'en Party is the first Poirot novel I read and as atypical as it is it might be my favourite Agatha Christie novel. Because Halloween is my favourite holiday, because the novel has quasi horror elements in it and because it's one of the most violent. I suspect there are far more victims to the assassin than the official ones, so the body count is pretty high too. I suspect because of her old age, there are a few loose ends that Agatha Christie forgot to address. She could have made a decent horror writer: she loved the supernatural and many of her books have genuinely scary moments.

Postern of Fate was her last novel and it's a bloody mess. A great mysterious setting, but there's no real resolution.
    I do think that Dame Agatha's "Jump the Shark" moment was Passenger to Frankfurt, a novel so weird I can hardly describe it. It was obvious by then that she had become the stereotypical "grumpy old woman". It stands to reason that it's one of only four novels that has not received any adaptation on screen, big or small.

On the other hand, I would like to see an adaptation of her "peplum" novel, Death Comes at the End. An Agatha Christie novel set in ancient Egypt opens some interesting possibilities.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I do think that Dame Agatha's "Jump the Shark" moment was Passenger to Frankfurt, a novel so weird I can hardly describe it. It was obvious by then that she had become the stereotypical "grumpy old woman". It stands to reason that it's one of only four novels that has not received any adaptation on screen, big or small.

On the other hand, I would like to see an adaptation of her "peplum" novel, Death Comes at the End. An Agatha Christie novel set in ancient Egypt opens some interesting possibilities.

Passenger to Frankfurt was maybe her worst. Her protagonist is absent for most of the novel! And nothing amounts to anything.
    A Haunting In Venice - Official Trailer (2023) Kenneth Branagh, Michelle Yeoh, Tina Fey
    edited September 2023 Posts: 23,271
    A Haunting in Venice | A Spooky Featurette | September 15

---

A HAUNTING IN VENICE Out of the Theater Reaction! | Kenneth Branagh

Real locations and less CGI music to my ears.
    A comparison between the latest movie and the TV adaptation of Hallowe'en Party:
    https://collider.com/a-haunting-in-venice-poirot-tv-show-differences/
    Just noticed A Haunting in Venice has dropped on Disney+, I will watch that tomorrow night.[
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Love Poirot and Marple stories! Both lifelong favorites, so enjoyable to read again. Along with Sherlock, too. As for being "typical" detectives, or hard to see them as realistic, well I have thoughts. Mainly I CAN picture them being real. So I consider the characters realistic enough, yes. But they are different, and I think that is quite good (and necessary).
    Both Poirot and Marple were not exactly gumshoe, physically active or strong characters. (Sherlock at least did box, fence, and us that Japanese wrestling technique I cannot remember.) Poirot and Marple were just brilliant, keen, observant, and able to think outside the box and look at things, always, from a psychological perspective. I enjoy them being eccentric in their own ways and different from all others in their worlds.

One of my favorite Poirot stories is The ABC Murders. One of my favorite Marple stories is Nemesis. Suchet's episode on The ABC Murders is perfect, in my opinion. Joan Hickson's Nemesis also my firm favorite (and I appreciate the gentle humor with her nephew being part of the story; and also prefer the episode's final ending more than the book's).

Oh and just because someone is old don't discount them at all as far as reasoning and deduction goes. Miss Marple has seen the gamut of humanity in her little village and she can apply all those memories, knowledge, and experience to give sharp deduction. Her instincts are also sound.

I actually thought I would kick around an idea of writing about retirees solving murders now that I am fully (and so happily!) retired ... then I see somebody gone and done it, so to speak with the Thursday Murder Club series. I have not read any of them yet. Who of you has, and do you think they are good? I do want your opinion. Thanks! :)
    Here is a bit about it. It also says Amblin has bought the rights and there will be a film. I'm intrigued. I hope the books are good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thursday_Murder_Club
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 17,272
    I've read the first three Thursday Murder Club books by Richard Osman (who is for many better known as a television presenter). I quite like them; they read as "cosy" crime mysteries, and if that's your sort of thing I can recommend them.

The books, as you would know having read about them, follow four elderly residents of a luxury retirement village, who have their own "Thursday Murder Club", where they meet every week trying to solve unsolved crime cases. Obviously the gang end up in the middle of live cases in every book. Although Joyce is the character that is given most attention, with her own diary pages as part of every story, my favourite character might be Elizabeth, who is a former MI5 intelligence operative!