The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 29 deadline: Sat 16 Mar 13:30 UK time!*

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I regret Wild Carding as I ended up messing around with my team late on, oh well.

I think your team looks good, and balanced as well – which makes it easy to jump to any player that you'd want to bring in. Might be worth keeping an eye on Saliba when Tomiyasu returns. He could become a rotation issue, where Arteta might want to play either him or White alongside Gabriel.

Erikson is a total punt, going back to his old club.

Could be a punt that pays off!
    ________

Can't believe Foden didn't play to Haaland in the first half…

Unfortunately they don't air the 3pm games in the UK. Did you get Haaland in?

Had him already, but it didn't pay off putting the armband on him. Got an assist at least.

Is De Gea still the highest-paid goalkeeper in the world?

Not sure regarding De Gea.

I am thinking back to Arsenal's first three games last season, Ten Hag does need time though with Liverpool (H), Southampton (A), Leicester (A), Arsenal (H) I can see United losing all those games and Ten Hag could be sacked by September.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Half time, that is probably the worst half of football I have seen in the Premiership era from United.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 17,241
    I regret Wild Carding as I ended up messing around with my team late on, oh well.

I think your team looks good, and balanced as well – which makes it easy to jump to any player that you'd want to bring in. Might be worth keeping an eye on Saliba when Tomiyasu returns. He could become a rotation issue, where Arteta might want to play either him or White alongside Gabriel.

Erikson is a total punt, going back to his old club.

Could be a punt that pays off!
    ________

Can't believe Foden didn't play to Haaland in the first half…

Unfortunately they don't air the 3pm games in the UK. Did you get Haaland in?

Had him already, but it didn't pay off putting the armband on him. Got an assist at least.

Is De Gea still the highest-paid goalkeeper in the world?

Not sure regarding De Gea.

I am thinking back to Arsenal's first three games last season, Ten Hag does need time though with Liverpool (H), Southampton (A), Leicester (A), Arsenal (H) I can see United losing all those games and Ten Hag could be sacked by September.

I think I saw a list ranking him highest a while ago. Shocking if true. Not singling him out though; there are many names in the United dressing room not delivering…

Arsenal's start to last season was brutal (they too lost to Brentford), and many were calling for Arteta to be sacked. Many still are too for some reason. He's got the backing from the club though. Like Arteta, ten Hag needs time, but he needs improve the performances of the team.
    Half time, that is probably the worst half of football I have seen in the Premiership era from United.

Only caught the last two goals of the first half. When Brentford got their fourth, one of the commentators said he had not experienced a game like this in all of his years of commentating. And he's been a commentator for many years.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Our worst ever away defeats 5 0 vs Chelsea and Newcastle.

United have never been 4 - 0 down away at half time ever before today.
    Ten Hag has taken Martinez off, tough though he was being targeted because of his lack of height.
    Ten Hag has taken Martinez off, tough though he was being targeted because of his lack of height.

This was a topic when he signed. More banter than anything else though. Lack of height in his position could be an issue.

This was a topic when he signed. More banter than anything else though. Lack of height in his position could be an issue.

Its a baptism of fire for Ten Hag, Martinez often plays in midfield so his lack of suitability at CB may not be a total disaster, Martinez is our biggest signing this season so far, Premier League is unforgiving no matter which team you play, Martinez will get targeted a lot at CB.

Ten Hag needs to take a few steps back and play less expansive. Liverpool will destroy us if we start with the high line we have been playing.
    This is garbage our attacking play is predictable.
    Vs Liverpool I would play...
    De Gea

Wan Bissaka Varane Lindelof Malacia

Fred Garner/DVDB

Erikson

Sancho Rashford

Ronaldo

...and pray for a draw.
    Erikson was close twice to scoring, would have been good for FPL reasons.
    We have only scored 1 goal in 2 games and that was an OG, serious problems, can't score can't defend.
    Well done Brentford =D>
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ronaldo's checked out. He doesn't care. Why Neville persists with the idea that he will be a source of inspiration is baffling.

Its a baptism of fire for Ten Hag, Martinez often plays in midfield so his lack of suitability at CB may not be a total disaster, Martinez is our biggest signing this season so far, Premier League is unforgiving no matter which team you play, Martinez will get targeted a lot at CB.

Ten Hag needs to take a few steps back and play less expansive. Liverpool will destroy us if we start with the high line we have been playing.

Ten Hag will obviously have to change things up somehow, because Brentford really showed how to exploit United. And that's the difficult balancing act trying to get a team to play the way a manager wants them to, because the players at disposal might not be up for that task – which is why ten Hag needs backing in the transfer market. I draw up the comparison all the time, but United are at a very similar transitional period to where Arsenal have been (and still are).
    Well done Brentford =D>

The headlines will be all United for obvious reasons, but you got to give credit to Brentford, Thomas Frank and the players. It's a huge result for them, and they look strong. Like last season, they can be an exciting team to follow throughout the season.
    Genius!

Ten Hag will obviously have to change things up somehow, because Brentford really showed how to exploit United. And that's the difficult balancing act trying to get a team to play the way a manager wants them to, because the players at disposal might not be up for that task – which is why ten Hag needs backing in the transfer market. I draw up the comparison all the time, but United are at a very similar transitional period to where Arsenal have been (and still are).
    Well done Brentford =D>

The headlines will be all United for obvious reasons, but you got to give credit to Brentford, Thomas Frank and the players. It's a huge result for them, and they look strong. Like last season, they can be an exciting team to follow throughout the season.

The fallout is not good, after thinking about it I realize our fan base is part of the problem and we need to back and support our players and manager. It's clear to me many of the players have ability though struggle with the pressure of playing for United.

I knew last season it was going to be a long process for whom ever took the job, I was looking at Klopp's first teams at Liverpool and results, it took Klopp a few years to transform the team.
    Forest 1 -0 up currently Lingard got the assist.

West Ham went very close with a great free kick.
    Must be a penalty to West Ham blatant handball.... VAR...

Great save by the defender :))

Penalty given... Rice misses save by Henderson.

Henderson will be picking up decent FPL points, some fans will be asking him to return to United.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Well done Brentford =D>

The fallout is not good, after thinking about it I realize our fan base is part of the problem and we need to back and support our players and manager. It's clear to me many of the players have ability though struggle with the pressure of playing for United.

I don't think the United fanbase is any more unreasonable than that of any other top-flight English club, to be honest. The criticisms might be intense, but they are valid and very little has been done to allay fans' fears in the last 5 years and certainly in the last 18 months.

If the players struggle with the pressure then they're not good enough players. They get paid astronomically to deal with the pressure and do what the club needs them to do. And they're not doing it.

Well done Brentford =D>

I don't think the United fanbase is any more unreasonable than that of any other top-flight English club, to be honest. The criticisms might be intense, but they are valid and very little has been done to allay fans' fears in the last 5 years and certainly in the last 18 months.

If the players struggle with the pressure then they're not good enough players. They get paid astronomically to deal with the pressure and do what the club needs them to do. And they're not doing it.

The reality is and we all knew this, an entire squad was not going to change in one transfer window, I was furious yesterday though the barrage of negativity is not going to help the situation. After the transfer window closes I will get behind the players and support them as much as possible.

Hopefully Ten hag can figure out which players will serve him best short term and ride out this storm.
    Sterling starting as a false 9 for Chelsea again, Spurs front 3 unchanged from last week. Looking forward to this game, I am going for a Spurs win.
    jobo wrote: »
    Genius!

Roy Keane impression was good.
    Great win for Forest.
    Great link up play between Sterling and Havertz Chelsea go close.

Just as I typed that Chelsea score from a corner Koulibaly with the goal, directly from Cucurella's corner. New signing paying off immediately. Cracking goal volley from corner.
    Coming up to half time Chelsea dominant, Spurs offering very little doing there usual AWOL act at Stamford Bridge.

James Yellow card dam.

Chelsea playing some good football should be 2 up.

As a United fan I am jealous of Chelsea's ability to consistently have great player recruitment.
    Spurs goal though have improved since Richarleson came on, I think Havertz was fowled before the goal though. Need to watch that again.

Hmm Richarleson offside (did not touch ball) and blocking keepers view of shot.

Goal stands.

Tuchel Yellow Card.
    Reece James goal get in FPL points...
    Wow Kane headed goal in the 95th minute from a corner. 2 - 2

Things getting very heated, Tuchel Red Carded.

Chelsea need a CF.

Cracking game Chelsea should have won that, good result for spurs.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Here are the gameweek 2 captains!
    Haaland: 11
    Salah: 4
    Jesus: 2
    De Bruyne: 1
    Son: 1

After scoring twice last weekend, we see many managers jumping at the chance to captain Haaland, including 11 managers in our league. There's no gameweek without someone captaining Salah though, and he's backed by four managers. Good luck everyone!

Went Haaland, unfortunately ... but Jesus was on fire against Leicester. Serious captaincy option next GW against Bournemouth, especially with talk of fan protests canceling Salah at United game.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited August 2022 Posts: 719
    Great win for Forest.

And 4.0 Neco Williams gets the clean sheet and a bonus point. Didn't see the game but apparently he's on set pieces and taking a lot of shots so probably I'll be starting him in my FPL team against Everton in GW3 (with Bailey on the bench or downgraded to a 4.4, hopefully. I'm on 2 FTs so not sure what else to do as I'm reasonably happy elsewhere, Mason Mount notwithstanding...)