The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 37 deadline: Sat 11 May 11:00 UK time!*

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,690
    3 of us must be happy now - Kane has opened the score, assisted by Son!
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,297
    3 of us must be happy now - Kane has opened the score, assisted by Son!

I switched the captaincy from Son to Pogba last minute before the deadline! :-(

Can only hope Pogba does well tomorrow.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I finally have a goal today - Jimenez gives Wolves the lead, 1-2 (Spurs at home).
    I finally have a goal today - Jimenez gives Wolves the lead, 1-2 (Spurs at home).

Same here!
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,297
    I'll be going away for a couple of days, so I won't be able to write down the captaincy picks straight after the next deadline. I'll get back to them when I can!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just watched a video on blank and double game weeks which up until now I was oblivious to, I now realise I should have kept my chips. @Torgeirtrap
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,297
    Just watched a video on blank and double game weeks which up until now I was oblivious to, I now realise I should have kept my chips. @Torgeirtrap

Yeah the blank/double GWs usually happens around this time. It all depends on the cup competitions really; it might affect how you use your chips, but having a couple of transfers handy can be the solution too. I think the wildcard is just as important. If you haven't played it already, you can slowly plan the transfers depending on when these blanks and double GW's occur – either by playing the wildcard for a double GW for example, or by planning transfers up to the double GW, and wildcarding afterwards if needed. As of now, I don't think we have any confirmed ones yet. We will get information about this by FPL on Twitter, and I'll post these tweets over here.

Edit: also re. playing chips early; there's no real right or wrong. Playing it early can pay off just as well as saving it for blank/double GW's. For my own part, I think I only achieved a OK score last season – 80 points or so. That would be 40 points in a single GW.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Yeah the blank/double GWs usually happens around this time. It all depends on the cup competitions really; it might affect how you use your chips, but having a couple of transfers handy can be the solution too. I think the wildcard is just as important. If you haven't played it already, you can slowly plan the transfers depending on when these blanks and double GW's occur – either by playing the wildcard for a double GW for example, or by planning transfers up to the double GW, and wildcarding afterwards if needed. As of now, I don't think we have any confirmed ones yet. We will get information about this by FPL on Twitter, and I'll post these tweets over here.

Edit: also re. playing chips early; there's no real right or wrong. Playing it early can pay off just as well as saving it for blank/double GW's. For my own part, I think I only achieved a OK score last season – 80 points or so. That would be 40 points in a single GW.

I may treble up on Liverpool players as they are out of the Cup assuming they are not playing teams in the Cup on those weeks, I need to look into it more to fully grasp how it will play out.

I have made lots of mistakes this season, one has been listening to advice from Youtubers :)). Everytime I made a decision certainly with Captaincy from so called experts I have lost points.

My new approach is patience, I have been too eager to dump some players after poor GW's.

I may treble up on Liverpool players as they are out of the Cup assuming they are not playing teams in the Cup on those weeks, I need to look into it more to fully grasp how it will play out.

I have made lots of mistakes this season, one has been listening to advice from Youtubers :)). Everytime I made a decision certainly with Captaincy from so called experts I have lost points.

My new approach is patience, I have been too eager to dump some players after poor GW's.

Liverpool might be the go-to team depending on fixtures. Have Salah and Alisson already, so I only need to find a spot for a third one if needed. We'll know the fixtures eventually.

It's interesting to see how other people set up their teams; that's why I follow a few FPL related channels. It's best to not let your own decisions be affected by their views and opinions alone though. The various channels can provide good insight to how to manage your team though, and patience is a common theme for them all. I lost a lot of points by shipping out Sané and Son last GW for example, in order to get Salah. If I'd manage to wait until after the GW, I'd be in a much better position.

Liverpool might be the go-to team depending on fixtures. Have Salah and Alisson already, so I only need to find a spot for a third one if needed. We'll know the fixtures eventually.

It's interesting to see how other people set up their teams; that's why I follow a few FPL related channels. It's best to not let your own decisions be affected by their views and opinions alone though. The various channels can provide good insight to how to manage your team though, and patience is a common theme for them all. I lost a lot of points by shipping out Sané and Son last GW for example, in order to get Salah. If I'd manage to wait until after the GW, I'd be in a much better position.

I think some give dodgy advice on players they don't have, though it is a competition and there viewers they will want to beat also. It is fun listening to the FPL discussions, I have three Youtube shows downloaded to listen to at work later. Decided to let my transfers build up this week, so no changes two weeks running

I think some give dodgy advice on players they don't have, though it is a competition and there viewers they will want to beat also. It is fun listening to the FPL discussions, I have three Youtube shows downloaded to listen to at work later. Decided to let my transfers build up this week, so no changes two weeks running

Yeah, I get that impression sometimes too. One guy who's channel I follow got a bit of criticism a while a go, for a video in which he made some valid points about why not to get Kane – only to bring him in himself a few days later. It's OK to change ones mind of course.

Two free transfers this week can be a good advantage. Worth keeping an eye on team news, as there's been some cup games midweek.

Yeah, I get that impression sometimes too. One guy who's channel I follow got a bit of criticism a while a go, for a video in which he made some valid points about why not to get Kane – only to bring him in himself a few days later. It's OK to change ones mind of course.

Two free transfers this week can be a good advantage. Worth keeping an eye on team news, as there's been some cup games midweek.

Just heard Fulham v Liverpool is a confirmed GW31 fixture

Interesting. That sure make a Liverpool triple-up a good option (nice fixture too!). Forgot to add that I also have Robertson in my previous post, so that means I'm maxed out on Liverpool players already. Unsure about Fulham's form, but I guess Mitrović is an option too.

Interesting. That sure make a Liverpool triple-up a good option (nice fixture too!). Forgot to add that I also have Robertson in my previous post, so that means I'm maxed out on Liverpool players already. Unsure about Fulham's form, but I guess Mitrović is an option too.

I have Salah and Arnold currently ill probably bring Robertson back in nearer the time, not having a wild card I'll have to keep an eye on the Cup games.

I have Salah and Arnold currently ill probably bring Robertson back in nearer the time, not having a wild card I'll have to keep an eye on the Cup games.

That's a good plan. Keep an eye on which teams that will blank/get a double gameweek and plan accordingly. If one of your more expensive players will have a blank gameweek, then that's your way to get Robertson – if you can't get him in one move. Firmino might be worth considering too. I think he's looked more dangerous now than earlier this season.

That's a good plan. Keep an eye on which teams that will blank/get a double gameweek and plan accordingly. If one of your more expensive players will have a blank gameweek, then that's your way to get Robertson – if you can't get him in one move. Firmino might be worth considering too. I think he's looked more dangerous now than earlier this season.

I have no money in the bank though Hazard I can free up cash with, Hazard I have had a frustrating time with when I bring him in, though Chelsea attack changing and injuries not helped his consistency.

I have no money in the bank though Hazard I can free up cash with, Hazard I have had a frustrating time with when I bring him in, though Chelsea attack changing and injuries not helped his consistency.

Hazard is my number one issue as well; difficult to get rid before the Newcastle fixture, IMO – but I'm still considering it (will leave it late before deciding). Might also just wait one more week and save that one free transfer and try to solve a couple of team issues.

He's a brilliant player at his best, but expensive FPL wise.

Hazard is my number one issue as well; difficult to get rid before the Newcastle fixture, IMO – but I'm still considering it (will leave it late before deciding). Might also just wait one more week and save that one free transfer and try to solve a couple of team issues.

Hazard has some good fixtures though not totally convinced he will deliver, I am opting for patience short term as every time I get rid he has a good points haul.

Hazard has some good fixtures though not totally convinced he will deliver, I am opting for patience short term as every time I get rid he has a good points haul.

Haha, yes! That sums up Hazard in FPL pretty well actually. It's really about how you can spend the funds without him; upgrade to Sterling or Salah for example (if not owning), downgrade to cheaper, in-form mids, or spread the cash throughout the team.

I've seen a few teams doing well with either very cheap defence or by playing only cheap attackers. Chess player Magnus Carlsen's most expensive defender is £5.2m, for example, and he has an overall rank of 223.

Haha, yes! That sums up Hazard in FPL pretty well actually. It's really about how you can spend the funds without him; upgrade to Sterling or Salah for example (if not owning), downgrade to cheaper, in-form mids, or spread the cash throughout the team.

I've seen a few teams doing well with either very cheap defence or by playing only cheap attackers. Chess player Magnus Carlsen's most expensive defender is £5.2m, for example, and he has an overall rank of 223.

Good tactic as with cheap options you can switch players easier, this debut season is a learning curve for me. My worldwide ranking is Naff so i may as well try a few things back end of the season, I went top heavy with premium players recently with the next few fixtures I expect good points, either that or I am clueless :))

Good tactic as with cheap options you can switch players easier, this debut season is a learning curve for me. My worldwide ranking is Naff so i may as well try a few things back end of the season, I went top heavy with premium players recently with the next few fixtures I expect good points, either that or I am clueless :))

There's really no way to predict these things. Can't remember any cheap strikers performing this well last season (which was my first FPL season). Throughout the season I usually had a premium striker, a mid-priced one (Firmino) and a very cheap one that I benched. On top of that, Nick Pope did very well for Burnley, so I played with him most of the season, instead of choosing an expensive goalkeeper.

The point scores can change very quickly though; we might see the expensive strikers picking up form in the last half of the season, making many of us rethinking playing a five man midfield for example. Having a plan how to change the balance of the team can be smart.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,404

There's really no way to predict these things. Can't remember any cheap strikers performing this well last season (which was my first FPL season). Throughout the season I usually had a premium striker, a mid-priced one (Firmino) and a very cheap one that I benched. On top of that, Nick Pope did very well for Burnley, so I played with him most of the season, instead of choosing an expensive goalkeeper.

The point scores can change very quickly though; we might see the expensive strikers picking up form in the last half of the season, making many of us rethinking playing a five man midfield for example. Having a plan how to change the balance of the team can be smart.

It's only recently I have realised the value in keepers playing for poor teams get save points, I had Pickford for too long who was an FPL dud, I'll never forgive his Anfield calamity lol

It's only recently I have realised the value in keepers playing for poor teams get save points, I had Pickford for too long who was an FPL dud, I'll never forgive his Annfield calamity lol

It's the main reason to go for a cheaper goalkeeper really; their teams will concede more shots, making it more likely to acquire save points. And if they keep a clean sheet, you're looking at a pretty good point score from your goalie alone. Then again, they can concede several goals too…

Pickford for me falls in the middle here; he's neither expensive or cheap, and Everton can have good games and bad games. They did bring in some decent players before the season though, so we wouldn't know how they'd do beforehand.

It's only recently I have realised the value in keepers playing for poor teams get save points, I had Pickford for too long who was an FPL dud, I'll never forgive his Annfield calamity lol

It's the main reason to go for a cheaper goalkeeper really; their teams will concede more shots, making it more likely to acquire save points. And if they keep a clean sheet, you're looking at a pretty good point score from your goalie alone. Then again, they can concede several goals too…

Pickford for me falls in the middle here; he's neither expensive or cheap, and Everton can have good games and bad games. They did bring in some decent players before the season though, so we wouldn't know how they'd do beforehand.

The Cardiff keeper had a great points haul recently a player I got rid of for Pickford Gr. I got Button in cheap as a second keeper I think there are points there

The Cardiff keeper had a great points haul recently a player I got rid of for Pickford Gr. I got Button in cheap as a second keeper I think there are points there

That's a good pair to have, I think. Button is a £4.0 playing goalkeeper, which you rarely have in FPL. Don't know for how long, but it's nothing to think about for quite a while. Etheridge provides a lot of points for his price, and has a good run of fixtures coming up. I'm tempted by bringing in a Cardiff defender as a fifth option, as Balbuena hasn't been a good move.

That's a good pair to have, I think. Button is a £4.0 playing goalkeeper, which you rarely have in FPL. Don't know for how long, but it's nothing to think about for quite a while. Etheridge provides a lot of points for his price, and has a good run of fixtures coming up. I'm tempted by bringing in a Cardiff defender as a fifth option, as Balbuena hasn't been a good move.

I think Cardiff and a few lower sides at home will still produce random clean sheets. Bamba has been a good cheap player over the season and grabs the odd goal

I think Cardiff and a few lower sides at home will still produce random clean sheets. Bamba has been a good cheap player over the season and grabs the odd goal

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Cardiff surprises with some draws and wins the remainder of the season. It wouldn't surprise me if they manage to stay up either. Bamba is one I'm looking at. £4.5m, plays every game and has a decent goal threat in the locker. Might go cheaper and look at Bednarek at Soton too. Not a priority transfer yet though.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Cardiff surprises with some draws and wins the remainder of the season. It wouldn't surprise me if they manage to stay up either. Bamba is one I'm looking at. £4.5m, plays every game and has a decent goal threat in the locker. Might go cheaper and look at Bednarek at Soton too. Not a priority transfer yet though.

I have not gone in for Southampton players, I almost went for Ings before his injury. I think the manager will do well long term though he has a crap side

I have not gone in for Southampton players, I almost went for Ings before his injury. I think the manager will do well long term though he has a crap side

Hasenhüttl has a difficult job ahead of him, but he's off to a good start. I think Soton will do better from now on until the end of the season. Ings is out for a few weeks I think, so he might be an option again soon.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    With Son out for a few game weeks due to the Asia Cup, I took a -4 point hit by doing 1 free transfer + 1 extra transfer: Son --> Salah (vs Brighton) and Richarlison --> Brooks (vs Everton).

For this game week, I'll be playing 3-5-2, with Pogba/Salah/Hazard/Brooks/Pereyra in midfield and Aubameyang/Jimenez up front.

Captain: Salah.