The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 29 deadline: Sat 16 Mar 13:30 UK time!*

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I won't rule out playing Bench Boost in a single gameweek, as that could work out fine if fixtures are good. The issue with playing it in gameweek 1 is that we don't know which teams will hit the ground running.

But I get that playing it early means that you don't have to have it in mind anymore.

True though if it works out could get a lead on other managers.

Indeed. It's a risk you need to consider the upsides and downsides with. Personally, I'm saving the chip until we know more about doubles gameweeks, blanks etc.

It's barely been a week and United are playing Derby in a preseason friendly tomorrow, looking forward to watching it and seeing our younger players like Diallo. Day off so will start looking at my FPL team tomorrow.

Sounds like United will get Varane and Trippier very soon which is encouraging for the new season.

I need to make decisions about my defence and decide if I free up cash or go strong. I will likely have one premium defender minimum.

I see that people have different opinions re. the defence this season; some have a very strong back three or four, while others push more funds into midfield. Right now, I'm a bit unsure which tactic to go for as there are potential upsides in both a strong defence and a midfield. All my drafts have been very light in attack, with only two or three mid-priced or not so premium forwards.

Arsenal have started their preseason with matches against Hibs and Rangers. They've been horrible to put it mildly… Expect United will look very different.

The euro's will influence my thinking as some players will be weeks away from full fitness when the season starts some will be rested and slowly make there way back into the starting 11. One thing I have noticed with my drafts is a strong defence makes me light up front and my midfield. I may go with one Premium player per defence, midfield and attack and build my team around that, or go cheap in attack and have two premium Mids.
    I won't rule out playing Bench Boost in a single gameweek, as that could work out fine if fixtures are good. The issue with playing it in gameweek 1 is that we don't know which teams will hit the ground running.

But I get that playing it early means that you don't have to have it in mind anymore.

Indeed. It's a risk you need to consider the upsides and downsides with. Personally, I'm saving the chip until we know more about doubles gameweeks, blanks etc.

It's barely been a week and United are playing Derby in a preseason friendly tomorrow, looking forward to watching it and seeing our younger players like Diallo. Day off so will start looking at my FPL team tomorrow.

Sounds like United will get Varane and Trippier very soon which is encouraging for the new season.

I need to make decisions about my defence and decide if I free up cash or go strong. I will likely have one premium defender minimum.

I see that people have different opinions re. the defence this season; some have a very strong back three or four, while others push more funds into midfield. Right now, I'm a bit unsure which tactic to go for as there are potential upsides in both a strong defence and a midfield. All my drafts have been very light in attack, with only two or three mid-priced or not so premium forwards.

Arsenal have started their preseason with matches against Hibs and Rangers. They've been horrible to put it mildly… Expect United will look very different.

The euro's will influence my thinking as some players will be weeks away from full fitness when the season starts some will be rested and slowly make there way back into the starting 11. One thing I have noticed with my drafts is a strong defence makes me light up front and my midfield. I may go with one Premium player per defence, midfield and attack and build my team around that, or go cheap in attack and have two premium Mids.

Yes, the Euros is a big factor in my thinking as well. I certainly won't load up on players that will have a shorter preseason, in fear of playing time and form.

It's not something I always take into consideration personally, but points per million is something that can be used to decide how many premium defenders you want. You'd expect Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and players like that to deliver a decent amount of points throughout the season - maybe more so than midfielders in the same price bracket.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,060

Yes, the Euros is a big factor in my thinking as well. I certainly won't load up on players that will have a shorter preseason, in fear of playing time and form.

It's not something I always take into consideration personally, but points per million is something that can be used to decide how many premium defenders you want. You'd expect Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and players like that to deliver a decent amount of points throughout the season - maybe more so than midfielders in the same price bracket.

Good point regarding defenders and if you can get high scoring defenders that are starters it mean we don't have to stress about Man city midfielders :))

Day off last few weeks been work work work so will have a look at my side.

The league is looking good, fourteen joined so far.

MUTV a bloody joke, the friendly game has stopped playing, server overload I bet, others online unable to watch it, we should get a refund.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 17,235

Good point regarding defenders and if you can get high scoring defenders that are starters it mean we don't have to stress about Man city midfielders :))

MUTV a bloody joke, the friendly game has stopped playing, server overload I bet, others online unable to watch it, we should get a refund.

Haha, yes! I want a City defender at some point, but I'm not sure if I take the risk starting gameweek 1 with one. As for the midfielders, there's always De Bruyne to consider…

I'm in the middle of my summer vacation too, after some very busy weeks. This means more time for FPL and Eliteserien and Allsvenskan Fantasy. The Norwegian and the Swedish league are at gameweek 14 and 11 now, which means you need to start planning for chips etc. Great warm up to the upcoming FPL season!

Are there any other ways you can watch the game besides MUTV? Bet there are a few dodgy streams around that might show the game.

Haha, yes! I want a City defender at some point, but I'm not sure if I take the risk starting gameweek 1 with one. As for the midfielders, there's always De Bruyne to consider…

I'm in the middle of my summer vacation too, after some very busy weeks. This means more time for FPL and Eliteserien and Allsvenskan Fantasy. The Norwegian and the Swedish league are at gameweek 14 and 11 now, which means you need to start planning for chips etc. Great warm up to the upcoming FPL season!

Are there any other ways you can watch the game besides MUTV? Bet there are a few dodgy streams around that might show the game.

MUTV was back up again after 20 minutes, been a decent game United have some great young players. Good to see the season building up.

Yeah I will be looking at Cancelo for sure, though not sue of his fitness after injury pre Euro's. KDB, Bruno or salah it will be a push to get two of those in.

Just done another draft, the transfers that happen over the next few weeks will change my team for sure.

MUTV was back up again after 20 minutes, been a decent game United have some great young players. Good to see the season building up.

Yeah I will be looking at Cancelo for sure, though not sue of his fitness after injury pre Euro's. KDB, Bruno or salah it will be a push to get two of those in.

Just done another draft, the transfers that happen over the next few weeks will change my team for sure.

Preseason games are always interesting, because it gives you some indication on which youngsters might make the step up to the first team – which was the case with Smith Rowe and Saka for Arsenal, for example.

Right now I have Salah and Bruno out of those you mention above. Expect both will stay in my drafts, though at this point you can't rule out anything.

Preseason games are always interesting, because it gives you some indication on which youngsters might make the step up to the first team – which was the case with Smith Rowe and Saka for Arsenal, for example.

Right now I have Salah and Bruno out of those you mention above. Expect both will stay in my drafts, though at this point you can't rule out anything.

United playing today v QPR cant wait, just been checking my team and very happy with my current draft, I have a few players in that will switch to new teams also which makes my selections interesting. Managed to have 1 Million left in the bank.

United playing today v QPR cant wait, just been checking my team and very happy with my current draft, I have a few players in that will switch to new teams also which makes my selections interesting. Managed to have 1 Million left in the bank.

I've gone through a few drafts that leaves me with something in the bank too. I might actually consider going into gameweek 1 with 0.5 or 1.0 in the bank, just to give me more options for the following gameweek. Still to early to decide on that though.

Now that Sancho is available in the game, I did a few drafts picking him instead of Fernandes. I don't know if going with him over Fernandes is a good idea or not, but the money saved opens up a lot of opportunities. Will Sancho feature in that friendly?

I've gone through a few drafts that leaves me with something in the bank too. I might actually consider going into gameweek 1 with 0.5 or 1.0 in the bank, just to give me more options for the following gameweek. Still to early to decide on that though.

Now that Sancho is available in the game, I did a few drafts picking him instead of Fernandes. I don't know if going with him over Fernandes is a good idea or not, but the money saved opens up a lot of opportunities. Will Sancho feature in that friendly?

Sancho or Bruno is a dilemma for me also, the price difference I am leaning toward Sancho hopefully he will hit the ground running, I can see him creating a lot of chances for Cavani.

Sancho or Bruno is a dilemma for me also, the price difference I am leaning toward Sancho hopefully he will hit the ground running, I can see him creating a lot of chances for Cavani.

From what I can see, people are a bit divided on Sancho as an option instead of Fernandes, referring to the quality of the Bundesliga compared to the PL. I don't think the difference is as big as those people think…

The funds you can spend elsewhere by picking Sancho is also a factor. I can consider a Liverpool defensive double-up for example, upgrade one of the midfield spots, or spread funds more evenly across the defence. Will Fernandes and cheaper options outperform any of these combinations? I'm really not so sure. The thing with Fernandes though, is his opportunity to get something from games where United as a team don't perform well – either by winning/scoring a pen or creating something by himself. The ownership is also a massive factor.

From what I can see, people are a bit divided on Sancho as an option instead of Fernandes, referring to the quality of the Bundesliga compared to the PL. I don't think the difference is as big as those people think…

The funds you can spend elsewhere by picking Sancho is also a factor. I can consider a Liverpool defensive double-up for example, upgrade one of the midfield spots, or spread funds more evenly across the defence. Will Fernandes and cheaper options outperform any of these combinations? I'm really not so sure. The thing with Fernandes though, is his opportunity to get something from games where United as a team don't perform well – either by winning/scoring a pen or creating something by himself. The ownership is also a massive factor.

Fernandes is a points magnet I will probably bottle it with Sancho lol If I do go with Sancho I will make sure I have an easy route to get Bruno in if needed.

Fernandes is a points magnet I will probably bottle it with Sancho lol If I do go with Sancho I will make sure I have an easy route to get Bruno in if needed.

Yes, I'm thinking the same with Sancho vs Bruno; if picking Sancho fails, then you need to have an easy way of bringing in Bruno (or any other midfielder for that matter). My current draft is a 4-4-3, which means I can downgrade one of the strikers to raise funds from Sancho to Bruno. And I think that's the best way to approach the season – only be two transfers (three tops) away from getting any player.

I quite like that current (non-Bruno) draft actually. But there are so many things that can happen before the new season, so I expect this will be just one of many, many drafts to go.

Yes, I'm thinking the same with Sancho vs Bruno; if picking Sancho fails, then you need to have an easy way of bringing in Bruno (or any other midfielder for that matter). My current draft is a 4-4-3, which means I can downgrade one of the strikers to raise funds from Sancho to Bruno. And I think that's the best way to approach the season – only be two transfers (three tops) away from getting any player.

I quite like that current (non-Bruno) draft actually. But there are so many things that can happen before the new season, so I expect this will be just one of many, many drafts to go.

Another thing to consider is that United finished the season poorly and Bruno looked burnt out at the Euro's, there is not guarantee Bruno will be firing as the season starts. Ole's record of managing fatigued players is poor. Sancho can play the number 10 role whether Ole will utilise him there is any ones guess.

Another thing to consider is that United finished the season poorly and Bruno looked burnt out at the Euro's, there is not guarantee Bruno will be firing as the season starts. Ole's record of managing fatigued players is poor. Sancho can play the number 10 role whether Ole will utilise him there is any ones guess.

No, there's no guarantee that Bruno will deliver straight away. That goes for several players that have had a long season and Euros/Copa América to play.

No, there's no guarantee that Bruno will deliver straight away. That goes for several players that have had a long season and Euros/Copa América to play.

My current draft I have Bruno and Sancho in, though I have no City players. Though i do have 2 Liverpool. Reality is I am just going to have to say no to certain players and stick with it. If I choose Bruno it will be easy to switch to Sancho if needed.

My current draft I have Bruno and Sancho in, though I have no City players. Though i do have 2 Liverpool. Reality is I am just going to have to say no to certain players and stick with it. If I choose Bruno it will be easy to switch to Sancho if needed.

Does that current draft include Sancho, Bruno AND Salah? I tried making a draft including all three, but the rest of the team looked really bad.

We have to mace sacrifices, that's for sure. My current draft doesn't include any City players either, but I am tempted to include one City defender just to have some cover. I don't have anyone from Sp*rs yet, which might or might not be a good idea. So much s depending on Kane right now.

Does that current draft include Sancho, Bruno AND Salah? I tried making a draft including all three, but the rest of the team looked really bad.

We have to mace sacrifices, that's for sure. My current draft doesn't include any City players either, but I am tempted to include one City defender just to have some cover. I don't have anyone from Sp*rs yet, which might or might not be a good idea. So much s depending on Kane right now.

Yeah got all three though my defence is all cheap except one 5.5milliob player. I will bottle it lol

Yeah got all three though my defence is all cheap except one 5.5milliob player. I will bottle it lol

It does seem a lot to put into three midfield players – especially when you consider the mid to budget price options. It's difficult to know which of the cheaper midfielders will deliver though. I currently have Havertz and Buendía as well as Salah and Sancho in midfield.
    Trying a few drafts without Sancho in my team my midfield looks good though defence still weak. Closer to deadline i will end up having a completely different team :))

Beyond Bruno and Salah no one else is nailed of for me at the moment, I need to start looking at preseason result for other teams.
    Trying a few drafts without Sancho in my team my midfield looks good though defence still weak. Closer to deadline i will end up having a completely different team :))

Beyond Bruno and Salah no one else is nailed of for me at the moment, I need to start looking at preseason result for other teams.

There are very few nailed players in my team as well. Salah and Alexander-Arnold are the only players that I've included in every draft. Still tempted to go without Fernandes, but it will depend on how much Sancho features and how he plays in preseason. Will need to make two separate drafts most likely – one with Sancho and one with Fernandes, and pick one of them for gameweek 1.

There are very few nailed players in my team as well. Salah and Alexander-Arnold are the only players that I've included in every draft. Still tempted to go without Fernandes, but it will depend on how much Sancho features and how he plays in preseason. Will need to make two separate drafts most likely – one with Sancho and one with Fernandes, and pick one of them for gameweek 1.

I have yet to set up a draft with a very strong defence will do that later, I am settled on my strikers there are some good mid priced options, unlikely I will go premium.

I have yet to set up a draft with a very strong defence will do that later, I am settled on my strikers there are some good mid priced options, unlikely I will go premium.

I currently have three mid-priced strikers, and I'm unlikely to change that. If anything, I'll downgrade one of them and change formation to a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

My defence right now is Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and Digne. In other words a quite strong defence. Not sure if I want to start the season with an Everton defender though, so Digne is just as much a placeholder as a genuine option.
    After watching a few FPL Draft videos its made me change my mind on some players, glad we have over two weeks to go I am going to need it :))
    After watching a few FPL Draft videos its made me change my mind on some players, glad we have over two weeks to go I am going to need it :))

Haha, all these FPL draft reveals can really impact your own thinking. I try not to watch too many of them. :))

Haha, all these FPL draft reveals can really impact your own thinking. I try not to watch too many of them. :))

I was listening to one Manager and he said he was going to completely ignore Sancho which maybe a wise move, on reflection my team was pretty good until I tried to fit Sancho in.

I was listening to one Manager and he said he was going to completely ignore Sancho which maybe a wise move, on reflection my team was pretty good until I tried to fit Sancho in.

I'm seeing a lot of that, ignoring Sancho. I think it will depend on his preseason minutes for me. If he gets enough minutes the next few weeks and plays well, I might take the chance on him over Fernandes.
    Man United play Brentford tonight will give me opportunity to see what Brentford are like tactically and if any of there assets (cheap) are worth a look at. Martial and DVDB return tonight also.
    I have Toney in my current draft, as the price point he's at makes my team easy to complete. As an option, I don't know what to expect. But he plays Arsenal in gameweek 1, and that's an easy fixture!
    I have Toney in my current draft, as the price point he's at makes my team easy to complete. As an option, I don't know what to expect. But he plays Arsenal in gameweek 1, and that's an easy fixture!

Arsenal are capable of shutting up shop though as in they play quite defensive on occasion. Martial still injured which makes Cavani all the more tempting and with Rashford out also, its Cavani and Greenwood for the striker spot.

Arsenal are capable of shutting up shop though as in they play quite defensive on occasion. Martial still injured which makes Cavani all the more tempting and with Rashford out also, its Cavani and Greenwood for the striker spot.

I hope they can shut up shop, but doubt it. I think Arsenal have looked incredibly weak in preseason, and I think they will finish even lower this season unless they bring in a world class signing. I expect them to finish the season outside top ten.

I'm quite tempted by both Cavani and Greenwood, but I might not start the season with any of them (team news and injury news depending of course).