The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 29 deadline: Sat 16 Mar 13:30 UK time!*

Comments

Alright, just made an early transfer (and only one for now). This was the move I originally intended to do, so I'm sticking with it. However, it will put me at a disadvantage as far as price rises go, and I'm pretty certain I need to wildcard in gameweek 3.

Other options (which admittedly looked a bit better) would be for a hit. I have a few issues that might have to be looked at before the deadline, and making another transfer on top of taking a -4 hit would be too much. The question then would be of it isn't better to play the wildcard anyway, but it just feels a bit too early given the fixtures.

I hate having the wildcard so tend to get rid of it also so I can accrue greater value in m team. Second Wildcard I use almost immediately in the past.

I have just a couple of players to decide on with my Wildcard players thankfully that wont increase in value any time soon.

I think this season, using the wildcard early might be worth it. There will always be a case for saving it just a little while longer, but you have to weight up the advantage you might get from playing it early too.

The predicted price rises I worried about didn't happen last night after all, so that buys me another afternoon/evening to wonder if I should spend the wildcard or not. I'm going to spend a bit of time looking at possible transfers, then (hopefully) decide what to do before I go to bed tonight.

Right now my team has no Liverpool defense, as currently have four City and United assets. Do I risk no Liverpool defense?

There's a case fot going without, I think. But at the same time, you need to have a way to get them back easily if you go that route. Still thinking about what to do myself, but selling Alexander-Arnold and going without Liverpool defence hasn't been in my thinking (so far).

TAA is a big risk as one of very few defenders of having a haul not having him could be disastrous, trying to squeeze Foden into my team, I may have to forget that idea.

Is it a case of Foden vs Alexander-Arnold?

It's currently VVD and Foden vs TAA and a 5 million midfielder

Edited: Found a way to have Foden and TAA

Interesting! Foden is reasonably priced, but there's quite the jump from 5.0 to 6.5. Did you have to do a bit of sacrificing elsewhere to make it possible?

I've been looking at potential wildcard drafts tonight, and I got one I could settle for. But I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice Aubameyang and Salah in that draft, so I'd be setting myself up for transfers beyond the wildcard as well, which is probably not ideal. Interestingly, that same draft got 0.5 to spare with Salah and Aubameyang in it, so I could actually let the price rises happen and yet be able to play it in gameweek 3. Knowing that I'll be able to get a team I'd be reasonably happy with, I think I might stick to just making 1-2 transfers this gameweek, then – if I don't change my mind after the games this weekend – play the wildcard for gameweek 3, which I have been targeting as a possibility.

The downside is that I'm quite certain I'll be setting myself up for a red arrow this gameweek, though I hope with some more games played (and some data to look at), I can make up the points lost eventually. Of course, this is all depending on team news; I can't risk a player or two missing out I think, so if anything like that is confirmed, then I'll have to wildcard anyway.

I had to sacrifice one of my strikers though still not sure of the move, still two days to change it again lol

I am just making sure I have a bench of likely starting players, I wanted to get an Arsenal defender in so I may still make that move.

I've been thinking a bit about strikers this week, and I wonder how many of them will be must-haves. There is so much quality in midfield, but what if all these strikers starts banging in goals? I can see a scenario where we'll have to be flexible and able to change things up quickly. Sacrificing a striker to be able to get Alexander-Arnold and Foden might work out though; you get the clean sheet points plus more points for goals scored and assists.

"I wanted to get an Arsenal defender" is something you don't hear often! From a price point of view, they might be worth looking at. On the other hand, there are good options from other teams as well.

I had Gabriel in one draft, I just think Arteta has tightened things up. I opted for Wolves instead though that may change. I had Calvert Lewin in as his fixtures are great though sacrificed him for TAA and Foden. I wanted Bamford though his price rise made me 0.1 points short lol

Wolves are more secure at the back than Arsenal, so I think waiting to see more of that Arsenal defence before investing in them is the best thing to do. For Calvert-Lewin vs TAA+Foden, I'll probably go with the latter. I wouldn't be surprised if the points Everton get, is shared between their attacking players.

As for Bamford, he is likely to be rotated, isn't he? I considered him for my gameweek 1 team, but shifted funds around a bit instead.

Bamford now has competition though Biesla is fiercely loyal to Bamford. I may still get a Leeds midfielder in yet.

The Leeds midfielders come at a cheap price, so that might be worth looking at. Still think that the likelihood of reduced minutes for Bamford makes him a less appealing option.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I currently have Brewster and hoping he will go on loan to a Premiership side though heard he may go back to the championship. Though Origi could be leaving so perhaps Brewster may stay. I prefer it when the window shuts before a season starts.
    I currently have Brewster and hoping he will go on loan to a Premiership side though heard he may go back to the championship. Though Origi could be leaving so perhaps Brewster may stay. I prefer it when the window shuts before a season starts.

The fact that the window is still open makes me a bit worried about an early wildcard, as a few transfers might change our thinking re. players and formation even. I still haven't pushed the wildcard button, and I think as I've left it this late to decide, it's probably a sign I should wait and stick to my gameweek 2 plan. I too had Brewster in a quick draft I made earlier, and depending on what happens, he could be a nice option at just 4.5.

As things stand (and the state of my team), I'll be hitting that wildcard button this weekend. But since the transfer window is still open, I must be flexible enough that I can jump on any player without making that many transfers.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Alright, just made an early transfer (and only one for now). This was the move I originally intended to do, so I'm sticking with it. However, it will put me at a disadvantage as far as price rises go, and I'm pretty certain I need to wildcard in gameweek 3.

Other options (which admittedly looked a bit better) would be for a hit. I have a few issues that might have to be looked at before the deadline, and making another transfer on top of taking a -4 hit would be too much. The question then would be of it isn't better to play the wildcard anyway, but it just feels a bit too early given the fixtures.

I hate having the wildcard so tend to get rid of it also so I can accrue greater value in m team. Second Wildcard I use almost immediately in the past.

I have just a couple of players to decide on with my Wildcard players thankfully that wont increase in value any time soon.

I think this season, using the wildcard early might be worth it. There will always be a case for saving it just a little while longer, but you have to weight up the advantage you might get from playing it early too.

The predicted price rises I worried about didn't happen last night after all, so that buys me another afternoon/evening to wonder if I should spend the wildcard or not. I'm going to spend a bit of time looking at possible transfers, then (hopefully) decide what to do before I go to bed tonight.

Right now my team has no Liverpool defense, as currently have four City and United assets. Do I risk no Liverpool defense?

There's a case fot going without, I think. But at the same time, you need to have a way to get them back easily if you go that route. Still thinking about what to do myself, but selling Alexander-Arnold and going without Liverpool defence hasn't been in my thinking (so far).

TAA is a big risk as one of very few defenders of having a haul not having him could be disastrous, trying to squeeze Foden into my team, I may have to forget that idea.

Interesting! Foden is reasonably priced, but there's quite the jump from 5.0 to 6.5. Did you have to do a bit of sacrificing elsewhere to make it possible?

I've been looking at potential wildcard drafts tonight, and I got one I could settle for. But I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice Aubameyang and Salah in that draft, so I'd be setting myself up for transfers beyond the wildcard as well, which is probably not ideal. Interestingly, that same draft got 0.5 to spare with Salah and Aubameyang in it, so I could actually let the price rises happen and yet be able to play it in gameweek 3. Knowing that I'll be able to get a team I'd be reasonably happy with, I think I might stick to just making 1-2 transfers this gameweek, then – if I don't change my mind after the games this weekend – play the wildcard for gameweek 3, which I have been targeting as a possibility.

The downside is that I'm quite certain I'll be setting myself up for a red arrow this gameweek, though I hope with some more games played (and some data to look at), I can make up the points lost eventually. Of course, this is all depending on team news; I can't risk a player or two missing out I think, so if anything like that is confirmed, then I'll have to wildcard anyway.

I had to sacrifice one of my strikers though still not sure of the move, still two days to change it again lol

I am just making sure I have a bench of likely starting players, I wanted to get an Arsenal defender in so I may still make that move.

I've been thinking a bit about strikers this week, and I wonder how many of them will be must-haves. There is so much quality in midfield, but what if all these strikers starts banging in goals? I can see a scenario where we'll have to be flexible and able to change things up quickly. Sacrificing a striker to be able to get Alexander-Arnold and Foden might work out though; you get the clean sheet points plus more points for goals scored and assists.

"I wanted to get an Arsenal defender" is something you don't hear often! From a price point of view, they might be worth looking at. On the other hand, there are good options from other teams as well.

I had Gabriel in one draft, I just think Arteta has tightened things up. I opted for Wolves instead though that may change. I had Calvert Lewin in as his fixtures are great though sacrificed him for TAA and Foden. I wanted Bamford though his price rise made me 0.1 points short lol

Wolves are more secure at the back than Arsenal, so I think waiting to see more of that Arsenal defence before investing in them is the best thing to do. For Calvert-Lewin vs TAA+Foden, I'll probably go with the latter. I wouldn't be surprised if the points Everton get, is shared between their attacking players.

As for Bamford, he is likely to be rotated, isn't he? I considered him for my gameweek 1 team, but shifted funds around a bit instead.

Bamford now has competition though Biesla is fiercely loyal to Bamford. I may still get a Leeds midfielder in yet.

The Leeds midfielders come at a cheap price, so that might be worth looking at. Still think that the likelihood of reduced minutes for Bamford makes him a less appealing option.

Leeds played well against Liverpool didn't they ?

I didm't know the manchester clubs were playing in the first week otherwise i wouldn't have picked their players.

Leeds played well against Liverpool didn't they ?

I didm't know the manchester clubs were playing in the first week otherwise i wouldn't have picked their players.

Yes, they were great. Really looking forward to see more of them!

It's worth keeping an eye on the fixture list you find under "Save your team" in the "Pick your team" page. Fixtures will go ahead as usual now, but at some point the postponed matches will have to be played, and then United and City will get a double gameweek – which means the potential of more points!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,342
    Timo Werner-Dead leg - 75% chance of playing, on the fantasy page.

Don't know who's who in our league ? I'm last :(( :))

Who are you ? and you etc ? ;))
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Timo Werner-Dead leg - 75% chance of playing, on the fantasy page.

Don't know who's who in our league ? I'm last :(( :))

Who are you ? and you etc ? ;))

Werner is fine apparently, so he'll play.

It's only been one gameweek, so being last now doesn't really matter. You can always make up for those points going forward! I see you have Sterling, De Bruyne and Grealish in your team already, so that looks promising for the upcoming fixtures. I'd have a look at the defenders though; Williams, Branthwaite, Johnson, Kilman and Vokins might see limited game time, so it's better to look at defenders you can be sure to play each gameweek.

I'm Dinamo Skruknott. :-)
    Remember the 11:00 (UK time) deadline today! There are some interesting fixtures this gameweek, and we can finally see City and United play.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    My team for this gameweek:

Transfer made: Mount --> Jorginho

Pickford
    Egan, Bednarek, Dunk
    Jorginho, Aubameyang, Perez, Lundstram
    Calvert-Lewin, Vardy (C), Ings.

Pickford
    Egan, Bednarek, Dunk

Looks strong, @DaltonCraig007!

Still thinking about if I should make an additional transfer, but so far I've done Ings > Martial as planned. Team (which still might change):

McCarthy
    Alexander-Arnold - Davies - Ayling
    Salah - Aubameyang (c) - Havertz - Saint-Maximin - Soucek
    Werner - Martial
    (Button - Mitchell - Vinagre - Vassilev)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    @Torgeirtrap Yeah, I'm also planning on buying a City or United player now that their blank gameweek is gone. But I needed the funds first, so I figured doing a transfer for that while none of my players are injured is the perfect opportunity for that. Aubameyang as a 12 million midfielder is making my fantasy wallet cry. :-))
    @Torgeirtrap Yeah, I'm also planning on buying a City or United player now that their blank gameweek is gone. But I needed the funds first, so I figured doing a transfer for that while none of my players are injured is the perfect opportunity for that. Aubameyang as a 12 million midfielder is making my fantasy wallet cry. :-))

I'm planning on getting more United and City assets as well, though I might wildcard to do it. There are a few players I'm keen on transferring out.

Aubameyang is very expensive, but he's also an easy switch to a City/United midfielder. And with tougher fixtures coming up, that might be worth looking at?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Glad I passed on Augero, especially as he's looking to be out of action for months.

Pickford
    Egan, Bednarek, Dunk

Looks like a very good line up @DaltonCraig007, could see some points coming your way with that team.
    Thanks @Benny. I'm trying not to replicate my woeful first half of last season.
    Benny wrote: »
    Glad I passed on Augero, especially as he's looking to be out of action for months.

I'm starting to think his ligaments are made of chocolate.
    Here are the gameweek 2 captaincy picks! Aubameyang is heavily backed before his game against West Ham. De Bruyne is also a popular pick for City's first game of the season. Salah is the only other player backed by more than one manager.
    Aubameyang: 8
    De Bruyne: 4
    Salah: 2
    Martial: 1
    van Dijk: 1
    Vardy: 1
    Fernandes: 1

Good luck everybody!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Do I regret not keeping DCL Gr, oh well my greed to have as many playable assets came back to haunt me.
    He's in my team now! Didn't have a way of bringing Calbert-Lewin in this gameweek, but I just played the wildcard, and he's straight into the first draft. He was in my would-be gameweek 2 draft too, and I'm already regretting not playing it this gameweek instead.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,109
    He's in my team now! Didn't have a way of bringing Calbert-Lewin in this gameweek, but I just played the wildcard, and he's straight into the first draft. He was in my would-be gameweek 2 draft too, and I'm already regretting not playing it this gameweek instead.

I can't imagine many will captain him, as long as one of my strikers gets a goal or two it will lesson the damage.

Pardon the pun though I am not on the ball with this season at all yet. I stared at DCL fixtures numerous times and thought they were great, I also had Digne at one point though I think he did nothing today. I am falling into the trap of picking players based on last season results.

I can't imagine many will captain him, as long as one of my strikers gets a goal or two it will lesson the damage.

Pardon the pun though I am not on the ball with this season at all yet. I stared at DCL fixtures numerous times and thought they were great, I also had Digne at one point though I think he did nothing today. I am falling into the trap of picking players based on last season results.

I'm down 600k at the moment, so Calvert-Lewin and Everton has done a lot of damage for me, haha! I can't see Werner og Martial getting similar points scores this weekend…

It's the same here: I thought my gameweek 1 team looked alright, but after the gameweek was done, it was a question about sticking to plan or wildcard. I chose the former, knowing I would have to play the wildcard after the deadline today. But looking at the players I've brought in on that first draft, I would have had a very similar team even this weekend. The only advantage (…or, I hope it will be), is that I can use the games this weekend to land a team based on results and stats from two gameweeks rather than one.
    I got Harrison in instead of Klitch, great lol
    Greenwood on the bench, I opted for Foden instead I may have got something right.
    I got Harrison in instead of Klitch, great lol

I imagine those Leeds midfielders will share a lot of those points throughout the season. Difficult to predict who'll get them. Owning Ayling myself, I think that Leeds defence is better to avoid going forward…
    Greenwood on the bench, I opted for Foden instead I may have got something right.

Greenwood felt like a risky pick given recent events. Phil Foden too, but still, I expected both to start.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,109
    Tip for everyone stay clear of United they have been atrocious worst performance in a long time, seriously thinking of getting rid of Bruno and Martial already the team is not fit.

As for FPL disastrous start, I ain't winning no league with only two games gone I am going to be way off, money down the drain lol
    Tip for everyone stay clear of United they have been atrocious worst performance in a long time, seriously thinking of getting rid of Bruno and Martial already the team is not fit.

As for FPL disastrous start, I ain't winning no league with only two games gone I am going to be way off, money down the drain lol

Something to have in mind when on wildcard… :-?

Last I checked, I was down on million places in the rankings. Could be a really bad gameweek this.

Last I checked, I was down on million places in the rankings. Could be a really bad gameweek this.

Bruno was my Captain, seriously ever since the game returned from Lockdown I have had bad week after bad week. I almost made some rash transfers though just going to leave my team alone, sometimes it's best to do nothing.

Bruno was my Captain, seriously ever since the game returned from Lockdown I have had bad week after bad week. I almost made some rash transfers though just going to leave my team alone, sometimes it's best to do nothing.

It's very much the same story here. As for leaving the team alone, it's definitely the best thing to do if you don't know what to do. I considered Martial (c), but as I hadn't seen a single minute of United yet, I found it better to look elsewhere.

How bad where they?

It's very much the same story here. As for leaving the team alone, it's definitely the best thing to do if you don't know what to do. I considered Martial (c), but as I hadn't seen a single minute of United yet, I found it better to look elsewhere.

How bad where they?

Awful in defence and midfield, Bruno ran a lot so he was trying though Pogba not fit and Mctominay was terrible as a CDM. Rashford no idea what's happened to him his confidence looks shot. Martial not given much service, DVDB was a bright spot and looked good and sharp and got a goal. Notable that Bruno dropped deeper so DVDB could play as a number 10.
    Typical I get rid of Antonio and he scores, can we start the season again lol

How bad where they?

Awful in defence and midfield, Bruno ran a lot so he was trying though Pogba not fit and Mctominay was terrible as a CDM. Rashford no idea what's happened to him his confidence looks shot. Martial not given much service, DVDB was a bright spot and looked good and sharp and got a goal. Notable that Bruno dropped deeper so DVDB could play as a number 10.

Hm…that certainly makes me rethink my transfer plans. Any team can have bad games though (Arsenal are having one now), so it's probably difficult to take that much from – what is United's case – only 90 mins of football. Palace is a tricky team too.
    Typical I get rid of Antonio and he scores, can we start the season again lol

It's Arsenal. I wouldn't feel confident taking out an attacking player with a fixture against them (unfortunately…)
    Ings opens the score for Southampton, 1-0 against Spurs!