NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,025
    I call it a call of desperation on her part.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I seriously doubt those comments had much of an impact on a movie nobody was even excited about in the first place.
    I didn't say those comments made the movie tank. I'm saying it fuels that narrative of the movie flopping cuz audiences are rejecting wokeness. Those comments were in reaction to the movie tanking.

But, with the bigger picture in mind, are they really rejecting it, though? Did the film tank because people saw it as a "woke" CHARLIE'S ANGELS film? Or is it just because the series was always hot garbage and nobody wanted another film? The second McG film underperformed, and the 2011 TV reboot was dead on arrival.

Hustlers could be labelled by some as being a 'woke' film because of its focus on women in a man's world, but it was fairly warmly embraced. Partially because it was actually decent.

It is interesting to think about, but I don't think there's a conscious decision to ensure a film bombs because it has a certain level of 'woke'.
  • But, with the bigger picture in mind, are they really rejecting it, though? Did the film tank because people saw it as a "woke" CHARLIE'S ANGELS film? Or is it just because the series was always hot garbage and nobody wanted another film? The second McG film underperformed, and the 2011 TV reboot was dead on arrival.

Hustlers could be labelled by some as being a 'woke' film because of its focus on women in a man's world, but it was fairly warmly embraced. Partially because it was actually decent.

It is interesting to think about, but I don't think there's a conscious decision to ensure a film bombs because it has a certain level of 'woke'.
    Honestly, it's tanking so hard I don't think even women went to see it.

Hustlers is a good point. I saw a lot of rejection for it online because of "strippers robbing men" and it made money still.

Look at Captain Marvel, a movie starring the #1 enemy of anti-wokes, grossing a billion.

Their backlash doesn't seem strong enough to bring a movie down. So Elizabeth Banks is kinda wrong, and creating an "us vs. them" narrative is not the way to go. Movies should and can appeal to everyone.
    Kind of ironic given that original Charlie’s Angels came out at a time when ‘70s Women Lib was a big deal. Lynda Carter was Wonder Woman. The Bionic Woman got a spin-off. James Bond was pairing up with female agents that were played up as his counterparts.

With Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, Sony probably thought the time was right to revive it. Guess that brand will just not really flourish beyond the 70s.
    But, with the bigger picture in mind, are they really rejecting it, though? Did the film tank because people saw it as a "woke" CHARLIE'S ANGELS film? Or is it just because the series was always hot garbage and nobody wanted another film? The second McG film underperformed, and the 2011 TV reboot was dead on arrival.

Hustlers is a good point. I saw a lot of rejection for it online because of "strippers robbing men" and it made money still.

Look at Captain Marvel, a movie starring the #1 enemy of anti-wokes, grossing a billion.

Their backlash doesn't seem strong enough to bring a movie down. So Elizabeth Banks is kinda wrong, and creating an "us vs. them" narrative is not the way to go. Movies should and can appeal to everyone.

Absolutely.

Miller's comments in the DARK FATE build up certainly came back to haunt him, but I don't think that film tanked because it had an agenda. It didn't really, unless you have a problem with the fundamental change of the saviour from white male to hispanic female. I don't, in concept, and the film didn't make a point of her being any better than John because she was female. And I think most people who have seen it would agree with that.

What really sunk it is the fact that it arrived fifteen years too late and after T3, Salvation and Genisys, the Terminator IP is just not as interesting to a lot of people as it once was. If it were, the reunion of Hamilton and Arnie would have been enough to guarantee $.

With Charlie's Angels, I think Banks is just trying to defend her film in the easiest way possible.

I think 99% of people just want a good film. And to answer the OP again, I don't think we have much to worry about with NTTD. Unlike Terminator, there is still great interest and investment in Dan as Bond. If the buzz surrounding KNIVES OUT results in box office success, he'll be going into NTTD's release still on people's minds, which will be a helpful thing for Bond.

And fingers crossed, hopefully none of these issues will arise for us as fans at the time of its release, and Mr. Fukanaga won't be saying anything like what Banks said above. ;) Lynch, on the other hand (for all her obvious talent and duty to hype up her role), really shouldn't be saying some of the things that were quoted in the Mail articles last week - regardless of whether it was a joke or not. Let the film do the talking.

I'm expecting Spectre numbers, ultimately. I think the Skyfall billion was lightning in a bottle. The $800mil mark seems about right.

Their backlash doesn't seem strong enough to bring a movie down. So Elizabeth Banks is kinda wrong, and creating an "us vs. them" narrative is not the way to go. Movies should and can appeal

I think 99% of people just want a good film. And to answer the OP again, I don't think we have much to worry about with NTTD. Unlike Terminator, there is still great interest and investment in Dan as Bond. If the buzz surrounding KNIVES OUT results in box office success, he'll be going into NTTD's release still on people's minds, which will be a helpful thing for Bond.

I don’t expect it to be a box office hit, but if so that would be a bonus for Craig as it would be his first non-Bond hit film and keep him in audience’s fresh minds in time for Bond. IIRC Craig only got into that film once his schedule opened up due to NTTD being pushed back with Danny Boyle opting out. So we would have had a Bond film now and a possible Craig-less KNIVES OUT. Interesting how things play out.

Their backlash doesn't seem strong enough to bring a movie down. So Elizabeth Banks is kinda wrong, and creating an "us vs. them" narrative is not the way to go. Movies should and can appeal

I don’t expect it to be a box office hit, but if so that would be a bonus for Craig as it would be his first non-Bond hit film and keep him in audience’s fresh minds in time for Bond. IIRC Craig only got into that film once his schedule opened up due to NTTD being pushed back with Danny Boyle opting out. So we would have had a Bond film now and a possible Craig-less KNIVES OUT. Interesting how things play out.

Despite Bond being my number one, I'm glad things worked out this way. I hope it is a box office success, even moderately, because it looks damn good and Craig's persona in it is already quite infectious in that Peter Falk-kind-of-way.

"....just one more thing."
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The fact is that if Bond 25 focuses on its female characters over Bond then that will definitely damage the movies prospects. People go to see Bond movies for James Bond plain and simple, and having Bond fasciliate the womens stories isn't enough, the story has to be about him and his mission, not just have him standing around while the woman are the main focus. It seems like Madeline and Nomi are main characters in this one, who take some of the developmental arcs off of Bond shoulders, which is a positive, but it has to be played right. No one will put up with Bond playing a back seat in his own movie, they will feel shortchanged and EON need to be careful.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The notion that NTTD won't have Bond's journey as its main focus is just absurd.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    matt_u wrote: »
    The notion that NTTD won't have Bond's journey as its main focus is just absurd.

Check the username of who posted that notion, you should have expected absurdity. ;-)
    The fact is that if Bond 25 focuses on its female characters over Bond then that will definitely damage the movies prospects. People go to see Bond movies for James Bond plain and simple, and having Bond fasciliate the womens stories isn't enough, the story has to be about him and his mission, not just have him standing around while the woman are the main focus. It seems like Madeline and Nomi are main characters in this one, who take some of the developmental arcs off of Bond shoulders, which is a positive, but it has to be played right. No one will put up with Bond playing a back seat in his own movie, they will feel shortchanged and EON need to be careful.

Talk about stating the obvious.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "Woke". What a dumb expression.
  • Fandango: NTTD is the fifth most anticipated film of 2020
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2487471/the-10-most-anticipated-movies-of-2020-according-to-fandango-users

EM1zLglUYAAlqJD?format=jpg&name=medium

The top of the list belong to the usual comic-book movie contenders. Though, I do feel that both Marvel films next year could underperform compared to recent years.

Though, the inclusion of Mulan above Bond is concerning mainly as they will compete alongsdie each other at the box office.

I think the hype for the trailer was huge and a bigger marketing push moving into 2020 will put NTTD on the map. I think Eon need this film to gross above $750 million....though I genuinely think that MGM should be throwing everything into making this film succeed domestically. They have seemingly done that with the Good Morning America push.

I hope Universal put their weight behind this international and not just hope audiences turn up in Europe as it's Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    There’s no way Mulan is more anticipated than Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    RC7 wrote: »

A family movie by Disney, doesn't surprise me at all that Mulan is ahead of Bond in terms of anticipation. The online fanbase is much bigger for Disney than for Bond. However I'm certain Bond will beat all 4 of those films (Mulan, Black Widow, Eternals, Wonder Woman) at the world-wide box office next year. If there is one film there with a good shot at joining the $1 billion club, it'll be NTTD.

It is indeed. In China it will totally smash the box office and as today ranks as the 7th most viewed trailer on You Tube ever. For Mulan the billion dollar mark is already locked, for Bond no.

Perhaps not in the UK and Europe, but in the two biggest moviegoing markets...one of them wisely mentioned above... absolutely is.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    matt_u wrote: »

It is indeed. In China it will totally smash the box office and as today ranks as the 7th most viewed trailer on You Tube ever. For Mulan the billion dollar mark is already locked, for Bond no.

Sure trailer does help but the film needs to be decent enough, reviews will be another factor. If critics didn't like the film it will affect the box office as well. I still believe NTTD could reach to $1 billion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Fandango: NTTD is the fifth most anticipated film of 2020
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2487471/the-10-most-anticipated-movies-of-2020-according-to-fandango-users

EM1zLglUYAAlqJD?format=jpg&name=medium

The top of the list belong to the usual comic-book movie contenders. Though, I do feel that both Marvel films next year could underperform compared to recent years.

Though, the inclusion of Mulan above Bond is concerning mainly as they will compete alongsdie each other at the box office.

So there is a box office competition? What is the prize?
  • I think WW84 could potentially make a billion. That film easily seems to be the more anticipated than the first one. If NTTD can get good word of mouth it's likely it would have a decent crack at 1 billion. Bond I believe is more global than anyone of those films listed above.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I think WW84 could potentially make a billion. That film easily seems to be the more anticipated than the first one.If NTTD can get good word of mouth it's likely it would have a decent crack at 1 billion. Bond I believe is more global than anyone of those films listed above.

I think that was the main factor with Skyfall crossing 1 billion and Spectre falling short. Skyfall had the benefit of it being the 50th anniversary as well, but if Spectre had received just as much good word of mouth and reviews, it would have been closer to cracking it.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 79
    I think that was the main factor with Skyfall crossing 1 billion and Spectre falling short. Skyfall had the benefit of it being the 50th anniversary as well, but if Spectre had received just as much good word of mouth and reviews, it would have been closer to cracking it.

I dont know how often I have to state these facts but I will do it again
    The Box Office difference between SF and SP is (outside of the US) mostly a result of a big change in currency FX rate!
    What does this mean? Simply speaking, SP sold in many/most countries as many tickets as SF (or close to it), but due to the unfavorable FX rate, this got converted to LESS US Dollar.

In the UK, of course Olympia and the many London locations helped SF additionally.
    But outside of US and UK, there is no reason to use PR, Marketing,... to explain what is simply a result of maths.

Of course you could still argue: With more London locations, with Adele, with Olympia, with anniversary, with better word of mouth,... yes, of course SP would have also cracked the billion - but in terms of what really matters (tickets sold!), SP barely fell behind SF!

Given this, here is my take at the box office prediction for NTTD:

US:
    From GE to SP, the Box Office has been between 170 and 212 mio in 2015 USD values (exluding SF).

Big question is whether the "Craig's last Bond" and "the end of a story arc" helps in the US or rather hinders a higher result. My feeling is that American's feel "left alone" with sequels where they dont fully remember the previous movies (compare to MCU where you have at least a continuing movie every year instead of 4 years gap)

With increasing ticket prices since 2015, and with bit of help from the very popular Rami Malek, I can see a realistic range from 200-250 Mio

International:
    SP made 680, SF made 800 m (see explanation above).
    EUR/USD FX rate seems slightly more favorable to 2015, hence with the same number of tickets, I can see ~10% more USD (740). Plus increased ticket prices since 2015 (~800m)

As long as the movies doesnt disappoint big time, I can see UK Box Office exploding. Folks love Craig and this is his final bow.

Overall, I assume the "end of an area" aspect will help, Rami will help. The quality of the film we dont know.

So:
    US: 200-250
    Int: 750-900
    Total: 950-1150

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I don't doubt that at all, but an almost 200 million dollar dropoff seemed odd
  • I don't doubt that at all, but an almost 200 million dollar dropoff seemed odd

of which 105 come from the US alone, another 45 from UK. There you have almost your entirely drop off! In some countries SP even had more tickets sold.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited January 2020 Posts: 524
    In a news article today, The Hollywood Reporter claims that No Time To Die needs to make over a billion dollars, if MGM wants to stay in the game. Apparently the studio is banking on Bond to do exceptionally well. MGM itself says that's not the case.

"Another knowledgeable source believes MGM could run into money trouble because it is so highly leveraged. This person estimates that the company needs No Time to Die, the fifth Bond film starring Daniel Craig, to hit the $1 billion mark — no small feat given that 2015's Spectre grossed $880.6 million worldwide. (In 2012, Skyfall did cross that threshold with $1.1 billion.) An MGM source calls that notion unfounded, noting that the company enjoys ample liquidity and strong support from banks and lenders. Another source says De Luca can exit if cash constraints become a problem."
    In a news article today, The Hollywood Reporter claims that No Time To Die needs to make over a billion dollars, if MGM wants to stay in the game. Apparently the studio is banking on Bond to do exceptionally well. MGM itself says that's not the case.

"Another knowledgeable source believes MGM could run into money trouble because it is so highly leveraged. This person estimates that the company needs No Time to Die, the fifth Bond film starring Daniel Craig, to hit the $1 billion mark — no small feat given that 2015's Spectre grossed $880.6 million worldwide. (In 2012, Skyfall did cross that threshold with $1.1 billion.) An MGM source calls that notion unfounded, noting that the company enjoys ample liquidity and strong support from banks and lenders. Another source says De Luca can exit if cash constraints become a problem."

It's terrible to have to put yourselves under that much pressure.
    What happenend now with NTTD in China after the Corona Virus?
    Maybe they can change the release date. China is one of the few markets where SP out grossed SF back in 2015.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
  • RC7RC7