NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Were hospitalisations and deaths expected to decrease before all the new variants came to light. 3 so far. Kent, South African and now Brazil. Or is this just going to be a never-ending cycle regardless of vaccines.

The second bit.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Unless a streaming service offers MGM and EON a mind bogglingly good deal or 20
    Red_Snow wrote: »

I don't know how much of a challenge it would present, since we don't 100% know NTTD is moving to November (and I suspect, neither do EON at this stage).

Not to mention the fact that NTTD is a fully finished movie while MI:7 hasn't even completed filming yet.

MI7 is already in post-production
    Were hospitalisations and deaths expected to decrease before all the new variants came to light. 3 so far. Kent, South African and now Brazil. Or is this just going to be a never-ending cycle regardless of vaccines.
    British daily new cases are now going down again. The virus will be easily defeated with the vaccines looong before the end of the year.
    I wish I shared your optimism @Mr_Beach. But with chief medical officer Whitty saying masks and social distancing will still be needed next winter I just can't help but feel this is far from over. I sincerely hope your right and I'm wrong.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Once we come out of lockdown, cases will rise again, vaccinations or not. At the very least there will be social distancing measures in place, severely handicapping the boxoffice potential.

Wonder Woman just came out and flopped harder than Tenet, even that shoud be enough to tell studios 'hold fire'. The safest, best option is to hold off until 2022 and celebrate 60 years of Bond with a new film.

Holding til 2022 just for the 60th anniversary is utterly pointless. It would have been like if Cubby decided to arbitrarily postpone FYEO by a year just so it could come out in time for the 20th anniversary. He didn’t need to then, and Mike and Babs don’t need to now.
    Once we come out of lockdown, cases will rise again, vaccinations or not. At the very least there will be social distancing measures in place, severely handicapping the boxoffice potential.

Wonder Woman just came out and flopped harder than Tenet, even that shoud be enough to tell studios 'hold fire'. The safest, best option is to hold off until 2022 and celebrate 60 years of Bond with a new film.

Holding til 2022 just for the 60th anniversary is utterly pointless. It would have been like if Cubby decided to arbitrarily postpone FYEO by a year just so it could come out in time for the 20th anniversary. He didn’t need to then, and Mike and Babs don’t need to now.

I agree. At this rate we'd only get anniversary films whenever a Bond film is made, especially with 5 year gaps. NTTD for the 60th, B26 for the 65th and so on.
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    British daily new cases are now going down again. The virus will be easily defeated with the vaccines looong before the end of the year.

Youre living in a dream world if you think this virus is going to be delayed '' easily ''.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Contraband wrote: »

I don't know how much of a challenge it would present, since we don't 100% know NTTD is moving to November (and I suspect, neither do EON at this stage).

Not to mention the fact that NTTD is a fully finished movie while MI:7 hasn't even completed filming yet.

It'll be filming until at least May.
  • cooperman2 wrote: »

The second bit.

They were and are expected to decrease after these new variants have been discovered - come on a bit of optimism. This will come to an end.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 440
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »

It'll be filming until at least May.

And that's if there aren't any other delays.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Mr_Beach wrote: »

Youre living in a dream world if you think this virus is going to be delayed '' easily ''.

I think we would all love to smoke what @Mr_Beach does right now. :))
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    The King's Man (currently scheduled for March 12th) reportedly moves to September.

That makes NTTD's move even more inevitable than it already was, but also leaves less room for the film to move to. Are they willing to head into October/November, with three spy films so close together? Someone I spoke to suggested the end of August, beginning of September. Perhaps around December is a good idea, in a "leave the best of the spy films for last" kinda strategy? Same thing happened with Kingsman/Rogue Nation/Spectre.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,969
    The King's Man (currently scheduled for March 12th) reportedly moves to September.

That makes NTTD's move even more inevitable than it already was, but also leaves less room for the film to move to. Are they willing to head into October/November, with three spy films so close together? Someone I spoke to suggested the end of August, beginning of September. Perhaps around December is a good idea, in a "leave the best of the spy films for last" kinda strategy? Same thing happened with Kingsman/Rogue Nation/Spectre.

Indeed, and what about Fast and Furious 9?

If Bond doesn't get a move on, there could be few spots left vacant. The only way this makes sense is if they are holding on for a 2022 release date.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It would seen come November all the cinemas will be full of Big Budget Blockbusters
    A backlog is yet another challenge in trying to come up with the best release date.
    It would seen come November all the cinemas will be full of Big Budget Blockbusters

At the moment, but things keep getting pushed back.
  • The King's Man (currently scheduled for March 12th) reportedly moves to September.

At least two of these movies are going to be pushed back to different dates, so I don't think this will be too much of a problem.

All the cinemas that havnt been put out of business by that time anyway.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

All the cinemas that havnt been put out of business by that time anyway.

And assuming all vaccines have been fully rolled out, and Covid is no more.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
  • No comment from the producers this time.
    I do hope this new date will prove to be a winner.
    Well put it this way, it's better than releasing in April. Instead of 200 they now have an outside chance at 350 million. But to cover the costs of a project like this? No chance.

Dark times ahead if they stick with this date (which I fear they might).
    No comment from the producers this time.

Because MGM and other studios (like SONY and Universal) announced dozens of delays yesterday. Bond was just one of those movies, that got a new release date.
    Well put it this way, it's better than releasing in April. Instead of 200 they now have an outside chance at 350 million. But to cover the costs of a project like this? No chance.

They won't stick with it if we are back in another lockdown by October and cinemas are shut (which is very likely).

They won't stick with it if we are back in another lockdown by October and cinemas are shut (which is very likely).

I sincerely hope you are correct, because personally I feel like the movie will tank if it opens in October.

I think back to what happened last year, the summer arrived, the virus spread slowed down, and people thought it was over, everyone went on holiday, and then the numbers began to rise again. I think theres a good chance the same thing could happen again. The UK is in heavy lockdown right now, and at some point we are going to come out before the summer, and people will think with the vaccine we are past the worse, there will be more gatherings etc etc.

Even if all the "at risk" people are vaccinated, it doesn't stop cases rising, which they will eventual once we come out of lockdown, and then the only way to stop cases getting out of control is another lockdown. If cases get out of control, doesn't matter if they are all healthy 30 year olds, they will push the health services to the max again.

I am praying that they simply picked October as a "kick the can down the road" date, because they needed a new date, and not because they think its actually a good time to release the film, because it makes no sense whatsoever. They might as well have released last summer, because the difference in boxoffice will be nothing, and it will spell complete catastrophe for the future of the series in my opinion.
    Somehow I thought a delay had been announced last week. Yesterday was just confirming the new release date. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
    Regardless, I'm happy with October, and maybe this date will stick?
    Fukunaga, Barbara and Michael must have complete confidence in this film to keep delaying it without the temptation to tinker with the finished product. it will probably be amazing. At this point I fully expect NTTD to reach my top 10.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Because MGM and other studios (like SONY and Universal) announced dozens of delays yesterday. Bond was just one of those movies, that got a new release date.

I do think it's weird that many Bond fans are acting as if Bond is the only film to commit the sin of delaying a film, when dozens of others have been as well. I call it fan entitlement. It's the childish aspect of fan bases.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Jan1985 wrote: »

I do think it's weird that many Bond fans are acting as if Bond is the only film to commit the sin of delaying a film, when dozens of others have been as well. I call it fan entitlement. It's the childish aspect of fan bases.

Exactly. It's not like we have 24-26 other films in the franchise to enjoy.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Somehow I thought a delay had been announced last week. Yesterday was just confirming the new release date. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
    Regardless, I'm happy with October, and maybe this date will stick?
    Fukunaga, Barbara and Michael must have complete confidence in this film to keep delaying it without the temptation to tinker with the finished product. it will probably be amazing. At this point I fully expect NTTD to reach my top 10.

They are delaying it because they literally have no choice.Its all about money.