NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think Eon should entertain the prospect of giving up their November 2019 release date. There are numerous reasons why they should do this:

1. They’ll need a new director who should be allowed enough time to create develop the script.
    2. The marketplace is overly crowded in November 2019.
    3. Both Wonder Woman 1984 and Terminator will be competing for much of the same audience as Bond.

Furthermore, a 2020 release doesn’t necessarily mean a year’s delay. It could be a matter of months. Many huge movies have moved away from the Thanksgiving/Christmas and summer periods over the last few years. The success of these films speak for themselves.

• Batman v Superman opened in March 2016.
    • Kong: Skull Island open in March 2017.
    • Black Panther opened in February 2018.
    • X-Men: Dark Phoenix will open in February 2019.
    • Captain Marvel will open in March 2019.

Big franchise films opening earlier in the year will only become more frequent. It’s a good way to avoid the competition and ensure a longer play in theatres as there is virtually nothing else in your way.

If Bond kept it’s 2019 release date, it’ll have to compete with a flock of new entries including Star Wars Episode IX and Jumanji over the coming weeks. Delaying to March 2020 makes the most commercial and creative sense.

The only obvious downside is the limitations it presents to Oscar prospects. But this only really became a norm in the Sam Mendes era. Bond could own March if Eon got the idea of Oscars out of their head (plus, if the film is good enough, it’ll still have buzz going into Oscar season).
    I think they would have to think very carefully before giving up their normal Oct/Nov release window. The Bond films traditionally tend to do big business over the holidays, when many older viewers can take time to go to the theatre. These films historically haven't blasted out of the gates on opening weekend like other tentpoles, but rather have accumulated gross slowly over a period of weeks (and sometimes months) which is in keeping with the behaviour of an older and less rabid audience demographic. They therefore benefit from both the US Thanksgiving window and the Christmas break. Such viewing opportunities won't be there during a February/March release timeframe.

Now, I'll concede that this may all have potentially changed with SF's monster success, because successor SP did in fact play more like a traditional blockbuster in both the UK and US, with a relatively strong opening weekend and a relatively poor overall multiplier.

Is this the start of a trend for the franchise - i.e. is it now like any other big name which must rely heavily on opening weekend? I hope not, because I feel that Bond films tend do best when they have legs and keep pulling in the punters in over time. Of course their ability to do that will be as much dependent on the quality of the individual film as on when they are released.

As you noted, SW has put a spanner in things as well, because Disney grabs all the big theatres for it. Having said that, something similar occurred in 2012 when The Hobbit was released, and it didn't seem to affect SF all that much. 2019 poses greater theatre count challenges with Frozen 2 in the mix as well.

So despite my concerns, there may indeed be a valid business case to move the release window this one time, particularly given the recent issues.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Lionsgate bets on Bond 25 moving as it snags November 8th weekend for 'Midway'

Lionsgate is betting that the 25th James Bond film will be vacating its planned US release date of November 8th, 2019. The studio has announced that they plan to release Roland Emmerich’s World War II action movie 'Midway' on the same day.

Aside from the planned 007 debut by MGM, the same weekend also sees the opening of Paramount’s 'Sonic the Hedgehog.'

Bond has opened against heavy competition at the box-office before, including the well-known clash of 'Tomorrow Never Dies' against 'Titanic.'

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/lionsgate-bets-on-bond-25-moving-as-it-snags-november-8th-weekend-for-midway-180910
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

Lionsgate is betting that the 25th James Bond film will be vacating its planned US release date of November 8th, 2019. The studio has announced that they plan to release Roland Emmerich’s World War II action movie 'Midway' on the same day.

Aside from the planned 007 debut by MGM, the same weekend also sees the opening of Paramount’s 'Sonic the Hedgehog.'

Bond has opened against heavy competition at the box-office before, including the well-known clash of 'Tomorrow Never Dies' against 'Titanic.'

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/lionsgate-bets-on-bond-25-moving-as-it-snags-november-8th-weekend-for-midway-180910

What are these studios going to do when it turns out bond 25 won't be delayed after all?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

What are these studios going to do when it turns out bond 25 won't be delayed after all?

Maybe these studios knows more than we do. :(

I don't think they care. At least not stateside.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,411
    Goldeneye: 12 or 13 December 1995 (17 Nov)
    TMND: 14 December 1997 (18 Dec)
    Twine: 14 January 2000 (02 Dec)
    Dad: 09 January 2003 (09 Jan) Movie delayd from 05 December 2002

I watched Spider-Man and Harry Potter 2 in 2002. I think i stil have watched Potter 2 if Bond 20 have been released in December. Started with reading books at the end of 2001 and watched first movie on dvd in May 2002. Also it to celebrate a bit of closing a scool era.

CR: 24 January 2007 (23 Nov) 2 weaks before removed from the cinema.
    QOS: 17 November 2008 (06 Nov)
    SF: 30 November 2012 (31 Oct) at 10.15 pm because earlier whas sold out.
    Spectre: 12 November 2015 (29 Oct)

I don't hope there wil be a delay longer then 7 weaks, but Bond 25 on my 40th birthday on 30 - 07 - 2020 (who is on Thursday and wil be release date if there deside to release the movie in the 4th weak of July 2020) and it is 25th year i watched Goldeneye. But i rather prefer to watch movie again as 2 disc SE BD with 2 disc Bluray releases of the other 24 movies (50 disc) atleast. I even don't mind if we must wait till May with Bond 25 in December 2019.
    We need a cast and story first? Lol!
  • I feel like Box Office numbers are, to a certain extent, premeditated. I think Bond 25 will do fine since for the first time, everyone knows that it's going to be Craig's final film for sure.
  • I think loosing the November 2019 release date is a godsend for Bond 25.

Firstly, it allows them to clean up the creative mess behind the scenes and really let Fukunaga get his teeth into the project.

Bond pretty much has a clean run at the box-office now. In fact, I’m surprised that they didn’t delay the film to February 2019 with Boyle. It would have let him finish his musical and freed itself from competition of Wonder Woman 1984, Terminator and Stars Wars Episode IX. There is nothing coming in Feb 2020.

Now Bond will have a month to himself and if the film is any good, it could potentially play throughout the spring until the next Marvel offering in April 2020.

Black Panther moved the goal posts for release dates. That was a $1billion grosser that came out in February. Bond won’t necessarily reach those numbers but it will have entire frame where it’s the only ‘major’ tentpole.

As studios obsess over franchise films, I think it’s fairly certain all year will be blockbuster season. We’ve naturally move away from summer and Christmas.
  • I think loosing the November 2019 release date is a godsend for Bond 25.

Any concerns about losing Christmas? As has been noted up-thread, Bond has traditionally done well at holidays.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Spectre got close to 900 million and now my hopes are really high for bond 25 to earn another 1 Billion at box office like skyfall did or even more.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    octofinger wrote: »
    I think loosing the November 2019 release date is a godsend for Bond 25.

Any concerns about losing Christmas? As has been noted up-thread, Bond has traditionally done well at holidays.

The loss of Christmas will be made up by the fact that Bond has a clear and clean run for two or three weeks as it will most likely only have to compete with the inevitable romantic comedies on Valentine's Day.

• I think Bond pretty much has the slot to himself. All the major releases will move for Bond.

- DC have an untitled film on that date. That franchise likely has no clue what that film is yet, though it may be a Flash film. DC will move as Bond will compete for a similar audience.
    - Blumhouse have a small horror film out that will get swallowed by Bond.
    - Legally Blonde 3 could be huge and is scheduled to open that day. However, it’s an MGM release and they won’t want to compete with themselves. It’ll move.
    - Vin Diesel has a disposal action film called Bloodshot coming out. It looks destined to bomb regardless of Bond 25’s release

The biggest threats come in March as Pixar have a scheduled release and Disney have a live-action Mulan film. I’ll just say now that Mulan will be one of the highest grossers of 2020. It’ll have a HUGE international gross and be a massive blockbuster north of a $1billion (Chinese audiences will ensure this). However, it’ll come out around 5 weeks after Bond 25 and that should hopefully get it’s business mostly done by then.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Spectre got close to 900 million and now my hopes are really high for bond 25 to earn another 1 Billion at box office like skyfall did or even more.

You might want to calm your expectations to avoid any potential disappointment. Here's hoping the film will be good but I'm not expecting Bond 25 to gross a $Billion. It'll be lucky and I'll be happy if it can make around $800M.
    doubleoego wrote: »

You might want to calm your expectations to avoid any potential disappointment. Here's hoping the film will be good but I'm not expecting Bond 25 to gross a $Billion. It'll be lucky and I'll be happy if it can make around $800M.

I would be expecting that but Nevertheless if film like spectre could get close to 900 million I could expect it to get past a billion

I would be expecting that but Nevertheless if film like spectre could get close to 900 million I could expect it to get past a billion

SP had the luxury of being a sequel to SF and so naturally audiences were going to come out and see it but its diminishing returns based on how subpar the film was was no surprise. The only surprise was how absurd the film was. Now, with a 5 year gap, an increasingly ever changing landscape there are no guarantees. The most we can hope for is for the film to be absolutely killer and if it makes $Billion then great but I just don't see that o the cards for Bond 25.
    I'm expecting MI numbers. $700-750million roughly. Should be an incentive to keep costs down.
    With one of the longest Bond gaps ever, it might just boost anticipation in general audiences.
    Or audiences may be prioritised with alternatives and the film could see a varied decline in BO numbers.
    I think loosing the November 2019 release date is a godsend for Bond 25.

It should be a concern. As I speculated a few weeks back, Bond films build their gross over many months and particularly over the US Thanksgiving and over Christmas. They are counter programming to a lot of the other films that are out that at this time and benefit.

February/March is normally a slower time for box office. Yes, Black Panther did great business this year, but that was a global phenomenon. They don't come along often.
    I'm expecting MI numbers. $700-750million roughly. Should be an incentive to keep costs down.
    It should do a little better than this given the brand name and inflation, but it will be exchange rate dependent.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    We need a cast and story first? Lol!
    One of the most insightful posts on this thread imho.
    vzok wrote: »
    With one of the longest Bond gaps ever, it might just boost anticipation in general audiences.
    I don't really see that, unless they have a great story and cast.
    Or audiences may be prioritised with alternatives and the film could see a varied decline in BO numbers.
    This is a risk. It could be seen as an old man's (and I mean man's) game.
    Bond pretty much has a clean run at the box-office now. In fact, I’m surprised that they didn’t delay the film to February 2019 with Boyle. It would have let him finish his musical and freed itself from competition of Wonder Woman 1984, Terminator and Stars Wars Episode IX. There is nothing coming in Feb 2020.

Now Bond will have a month to himself and if the film is any good, it could potentially play throughout the spring until the next Marvel offering in April 2020.
    Surely it's a bit too early to assume this. There's plenty of time for that calendar to get filled in.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Box office numbers are down in February because nothing good comes out at that time. Black Panther being the exception. The film will do well just because its a household name and people will flock to it due to the lack of alternatives. This was a smart move to get away from the holiday season with little to no competition
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400

Surely it's a bit too early to assume this. There's plenty of time for that calendar to get filled in.

I disagree.

When Bond plants a flag in the ground, everything moves.

I imagine no one wants to go up against Bond 25 especially if Universal really market the film well.

Expect everything to move to let Bond 25 have a clean run until Mulan.

SP had the luxury of being a sequel to SF and so naturally audiences were going to come out and see it but its diminishing returns based on how subpar the film was was no surprise. The only surprise was how absurd the film was. Now, with a 5 year gap, an increasingly ever changing landscape there are no guarantees. The most we can hope for is for the film to be absolutely killer and if it makes $Billion then great but I just don't see that o the cards for Bond 25.

I guess we will have to wait & see , for now I am just happy about the right Director.
    bondjames wrote: »

I disagree.

When Bond plants a flag in the ground, everything moves.

I imagine no one wants to go up against Bond 25 especially if Universal really market the film well.

Expect everything to move to let Bond 25 have a clean run until Mulan.
    You could be right. Universal is a powerhouse but they aren't handling US distribution. I don't have a problem with the international market - it should do well there, and I believe it would have done very well even with the 2019 release date internationally. The real risk was always the US market given the crowded schedule for Nov/Dec.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    February / March Dutch Boxoffice of last four years include the winner and runner up of that year:

2018 - Avengers: Infinity War (Followed by Black Panther)

Fifty Shades Freed 08 February 2018 - $6,487,334 (Universal!)
    Black Panther 14 Feb 2018 - $9,975,474
    The Shape of Water 15 Feb 2018 - $2,178,289
    Game Night 22 Feb 2018 - $2,579,948
    I, Tonya 22 Feb 2018 - $555,967
    Bankier Van Het Verzet (Dutch movie) 08 March 2018 - $4,061,737

2017 - Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Followed by Despicable Me 3)

The Great Wall 02 Feb 2017 - $2,209,162 (Universal!)
    Logan 03 Feb 2017 - $3,204,487
    Fifty Shades Darker 09 Feb 2017 - $6,332,203 (Universal!)
    John Wick 2 ''09 Feb 2017 - $2,260,864
    Jackie 16 Feb 2017 - $1,420,530
    Kong: Skull Island 09 March 2017 - $3,900,000

2016 - Bridget Jones's Baby (Followed by Harry Potter 9)

Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip 04 Feb 2016 - $4,411,437
    How to Be Single 11 Feb 2016 - $2,771,220
    Zootopia 17 Feb 2016 - $5,807,558
    Gods of Egypt 25 Feb 2016 - $963,291
    London Has Fallen 03 March 2016 - $2,945,801
    Rokjesdag (Dutch movie) 10 March 2018 - $3,703,315

2015 - Spectre (Followed by Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

Fifty Shades of Grey 12 Feb 2015 - $6,907,429. (Universal!)
    Big Hero 6 '' 12 Feb 2015 - $2,782,510
    Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014 movie) 12 Feb 2015 - $2,709,675 (not released by Fox in the cinema)
    Wild (2014 movie) 26 Feb 2015 - $729,708 (MGM! and FOX)
    American Sniper 05 March 2018 - $2,668,469
    Still Alice 12 March 2015 - $3,088,254
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,925
    I'm going to boldly predict that Mission Impossible 7 will do better than Bond 25 by some margin. Looks like Fallout will end with 780 million + on a 178 million dollar budget, compared with SPECTRE which was 880 million on a 245 million dollar budget. But crucially MI:7 will have the hype of succeeding Fallout the most acclaimed action movie in years, whereas B25 will be the follow up to SP one of the worst Bond movies, and 5 years after the fact.
  • I think with SP, in particular, it's the cost side of the ledger that's remarkable. Did it really look like it was over $65 million 'better' than Fallout? I think SP is currently something like 20th overall on the most expensive movies ever made.

I'd guess that B25 will see Fukunaga working with a trimmed budget.
    I'm going to boldly predict that Mission Impossible 7 will do better than Bond 25 by some margin. Looks like Fallout will end with 780 million + on a 178 million dollar budget, compared with SPECTRE which was 880 million on a 245 million dollar budget. But crucially MI:7 will have the hype of succeeding Fallout the most acclaimed action movie in years, whereas B25 will be the follow up to SP one of the worst Bond movies, and 5 years after the fact.

Which would mean Spectre makes more money than than Fallout.

Skyfall followed up on a Bond film under similar circumstances, and made a Billion.

And sure, it had the Olympics etc. But it was the film that made everyone go to the cinema and it was the repeat viewings thanks to the strong word of mouth that helped it bump up its numbers.

People won't give a rats ass about how good or bad Spectre was. It's Craig's final Bond film and that will bring them in. Maybe not to a Billion, but I'd confidently say €750-800million. With a (hopefully) reduced budget, that's a win.

Bold prediction indeed, @Mendes4Lyfe.
    I think with SP, in particular, it's the cost side of the ledger that's remarkable. Did it really look like it was over $65 million 'better' than Fallout?
    Not to me. Honestly it didn't even look as good imho.
    I'd guess that B25 will see Fukunaga working with a trimmed budget.
    I'd expect so.

I don't think, based on what I can tell, that they're chasing the box office as much as they were with SP. I wouldn't be surprised if there are reduced targets for this film on the revenue side, but higher expectations for net profit. If it hits both, then that's an added bonus.