NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,441
    Tenet Dutch update: The movie did 5,3 million after three weeks. 1,3 million in week 3 with 137 theatercount (same as first week).

Stil great number, back in 2008 QOS did $5,657,227 and TDK $4,509,366.
    QOS end second in 2008 after Mamma Mia, TDK end 5th after Madagascar 2 and The Kite Runner.

Of course QOS get 1,2 million views whyle Tenet possible wil end on 600.000 or so.
  • Hospital cases an
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Sitting in a room in a mask with strangers pretending I’m enjoying a film isn’t near the top of my priorities and I’m sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

Absolutely.

Also what sort of scenario is it where people can take off their masks if they want to stuff pop corn down their throats? Money before safety?

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,343
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html

“With so many people uncomfortable with returning to movie theaters in the midst of a pandemic, things are unlikely to improve, but not every studio is willing to embrace PVOD releases just yet.

Disney most definitely did by putting Mulan on Disney+ for $29.99 as part of its "Premier Access" service, and a new report from Yahoo Finance points to the live-action adaptation being a bigger hit that Tenet. Based on figures shared by analytics firm 7Park Data, it's believed that the movie has earned $261 million domestically, and if that's correct, it's ahead of Tenet's $207 million global haul.

These aren't official numbers, and we're unlikely to get a complete picture until Disney decides to share them. However, it's definitely interesting to see just how successful this PVOD debut may have been (bear in mind this report doesn't take into account the international subscribers who likely paid for it).“
    I’ve never thought this film would get a November Release. It’s pie in the sky IMO

Unfortunately Eon have a hugely expensive film that isn’t going to make its money back.

I can’t see that even if cinemas are open which I doubt in November, the numbers are there for people to go and watch it.

Cinema as we use to know It is finished for the foreseeable. Just like live music and sport.

I 100% agree! I said many times that I was shocked by EoN’s move and how adamant they seem to release the film in November.

I obviously want to enjoy this film so bad, but I don’t want it to come out and suck at the box office like Tenet. Anyway EoN will be forced to delay again, and that’s why theaters won’t be open by November imo.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 625
    Sitting in a room in a mask with strangers pretending I’m enjoying a film isn’t near the top of my priorities and I’m sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

Cinema as we use to know It is finished for the foreseeable. Just like live music and sport.

Depends on what country or even city you live in.
    I just enjoyed the first day of the Hamburg European Open (ATP 500 tennis tournament).
    On the Centre Court (10.000 capacity) 2.300 spectators are allowed.
    It's like in the old days, just with lots of space around you. The tennis pros really enjoy having a live audience.

Same for cinema visits. As soon as you reach your seat you can take off the mask.

So with Sports events and theatres it's just that you have to wear a mask while entering and leaving the venue.
    At the same time only 20% to 25% of the seats are sold.

Of course this is just the situation in northern Germany.
    On those Mulan numbers, from the company who provided the estimate audience numbers...Yahoo way way overshot their estimate

I haven't seen Tenet, but I want to. But perhaps it's not the tentpole film that we expected to get people back. Maybe if it had a more prominent A-list actor such as Leo or Matt McConaughey as examples of Nolans previous films.

Bond is a cinematic experience that gets people out, especially if it's well received like Skyfall was. That's why I'm not too concerned unless things really go belly up in the next 2 months.

You really should see Tenet.Its a flawed but highly original and ambitous big screen spectacle that is all too rare in this era of endless sequels,reboots,and rehashes.Also,the era of the megastars that draw in the crowds is all but over.

Regardless whether it makes its money back or not,WB should be appreciated for not only having the balls to greenlight such an expensive and risky project, but for being so brave and good intentioned enough to release it during this difficult time in an attempt to get people going back to the theater again.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Films that are getting pushed to spring may find themselves needing to push back further. I would argue that November, 2020 is a safer play than Spring 2021. I think EON knows this and are sticking to their date, as a result.

The NFL has returned. Saturday Night Live is back to live shows in a couple of weeks. Even Bill Maher is back to having some in his studio audience. Here in the U.S., there is some semblance of normalcy creeping in. That's good news, considering that where I have gone out, the social distancing and mask-wearing has been well followed.

Things won't be any better this spring, and they may even be worse.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Films that are getting pushed to spring may find themselves needing to push back further. I would argue that November, 2020 is a safer play than Spring 2021. I think EON knows this and are sticking to their date, as a result.

The NFL has returned. Saturday Night Live is back to live shows in a couple of weeks. Even Bill Maher is back to having some in his studio audience. Here in the U.S., there is some semblance of normalcy creeping in. That's good news, considering that where I have gone out, the social distancing and mask-wearing has been well followed.

Things won't be any better this spring, and they may even be worse.

This. There’s no reason to expect things to get better anytime soon; we could be in a similar situation this time next year. Putting off NTTD again really is a pointless gamble at this point. Films for the foreseeable future are just going to have to take hits financially. Things can’t just be delayed forever.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Regardless whether it makes its money back or not,WB should be appreciated for not only having the balls to greenlight such an expensive and risky project, but for being so brave and good intentioned enough to release it during this difficult time in an attempt to get people going back to the theater again.

Depends on your point of view. Others may say they did it to maximise their profits, regardless on the effect on public health. With a second wave gathering pace, meaning lockdowns are returning, some may say WB were self-serving, and reckless
  • I really want to see Tenet but I may just wait for the stream or a DVD/Bluray. Covid 19 is making a comeback in UK. It's not just the cinema, it's having to use public transport to get to the cinema that's the problem.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Theaters are open because they're following established guidelines, based on the current state.

Beyond that folks assess the risk for themselves. So I wouldn't call WB, theaters operators, or film attendees reckless. They're all playing by the rules.
  • Theaters are open because they're following established guidelines, based on the current state.

Beyond that folks assess the risk for themselves. So I wouldn't call WB, theaters operators, or film attendees reckless. They're all playing by the rules.

With cases soaring again, the rules might be amended soon.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Not seeing that for most of the US. Phased releases are already applied to appropriate theater locations. Canada's doing good.

Bruce will abide.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Theaters are open because they're following established guidelines, based on the current state.

I have been living in COVID fear since March, given my pre-existing conditions. But I felt comfortable going to the movies when I saw Tenet. No issues in the theater, either. Very safe.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400

The UK have announced widespread restrictions in response to a formal acknowledgement that we are now in a 'second wave.' This means hospitality venues must close by 10pm and there will be limitations on how many people in groups can attend particular places.

Bond needs the UK to survive. The UK numbers from the Craig-era rival those of the USA. As a franchise, Bond is a rare beast in this regard. SF made $161,176,369 and SP made $124,526,863 in the UK.

I'm also concerned that these new restrictions will change nothing in the UK. We will still see pictures in the paper of people out in their masses, the R will go up and infections will still increase exponentially. The narrative has moved very quickly over the last 2 weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if restrictions become more draconian sooner than later.

Considering that Bond's two biggest markets are/or are about to go dark. I really can't see this film coming out in November. Unless, Eon are determined to commit financial suicide. The whole 'saving exhibition' argument doesn't hold water when you consider the fact that the Government themselves are imposing restrictions. I mean, who are Eon trying to defy here? The Government? Why? It's the Government that should support businesses. It's them forcing their hand in this situation.

The failure of Tenet at the box office and Mulan's failure on PVOD, basically confirms there is zero way to open a blockbuster in a pandemic. Cinemas will have to survive on smaller films, becasue whilst we are in a formal 'second wave' I can't see studios sacrificing another blockbuster.

tenet-and-mulan.jpg?resize=1200%2C640&ssl=1

Eon, please delay the thing already!
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Waiting to see the UK Cinema Association's response to this in terms of effect on cinemas specifically.

Having asked around on Twitter last night - the 10pm curfew would mean the latest shows can start for, say, NTTD each day are 6:45pm effectively (2h43 + 30 mins of ads). So with such an early 'last show' yeah it's gonna cut into business.

Now of course this is all moot if in 3 weeks things don't improve enough and we're back into a fuller lockdown...

In terms of delay - as talked about by Baz in his latest NTTD is likely faced with a very similar situation to Mulan - blowing their load too much marketing-wise for specifically November and so a further delay may be more costly than just sticking with it. And don't forget the product placement partners - Nokia delayed the launch of a *phone* to be in time for the film! What I can see is either acquiescing to PVOD in some way or form, or Tenet-style staggered delays and just taking a chance at whatever's open however it is in November/December.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Those new Covid restrictions in the UK could last up to six months according to Boris Johnson.
  • If these UK restrictions are to last for 6 months (possibly more), just put the film out on VOD during that time and get it over with. Even if the film was delayed to November 2021 we could still be in the same position then.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Well, is the fact that screenings have to end by 10pm really that big of a factor ?
    Did one of tese measure close UK cinemas or prohib people to go to them ?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    This is catastrophic but lot of us in here kept on saying that by the end of the summer the situation would’ve been worse... and now here we are. EoN made a huge gamble betting on November, and now they will pay for it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Did one of tese measure close UK cinemas or prohib people to go to them ?

Cinemas must close at 10pm maximum. NTTD is 2 hours & 43 minutes long. Plus adverts/trailers before the film. UK cinemas will not be allowed to have showings for NTTD after 7pm. This will drastically reduce its box office intake.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Does the UK have multiplexes like in the US? 12-16 screen theaters?

Yup.

And I guess we can rest easy because this was just clarified
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    antovolk wrote: »

Yup.

And I guess we can rest easy because this was just clarified

If there are no major releases around that time, you can literally have every theater playing NTTD on it. 50% capacity on 12 screens is the same as 100% on 6 screens
    Which is exactly what Tenet tried.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Which is exactly what Tenet tried.

Didn't know that and I've read that the numbers are less than stellar. Definitely going to be an interesting six weeks. If they were to pull the plug and move it, we'll probably know by the first or second week in October which would be one month prior to release in the UK to my understanding.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Why is it dangerous to be in the cinema after ten pm? What happens then?
    Why is it dangerous to be in the cinema after ten pm? What happens then?

All the weirdos turn crazy