NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Halloween is losing daily steam fast...NTTD was only about 50k behind yesterday.

• NTTD has been both a critical and commercial hit. I ignore the US box office figures. Not so relevant anymore. From now on the only thing I'd suggest to EON is lower the production budget by at least 50-100 million and go to streaming in US if the demand isn't there for Bond at cinema.

• manovermanover uk
    Clearly demand is there in US boxoffice..I think some of the negativity here has been extreme.
  • manovermanover uk
    I think the mi6 figures ..to me it's unclear whether they were correct or not...unfortunately it's been used by many other sites as clickbait..and has generally spread a degree of negativity about the boxoffice performance.
  • NTTD has been both a critical and commercial hit. I ignore the US box office figures. Not so relevant anymore. From now on the only thing I'd suggest to EON is lower the production budget by at least 50-100 million and go to streaming in US if the demand isn't there for Bond at cinema.

I'm against streaming right away, it is pirated to hell and back and that would only hurt other international box offices where it does well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ‘No Time To Die’ Becomes 2021’s No. 2 Hollywood Movie Worldwide As It Nears $500M Global:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-record-box-office-1234859312/
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    ‘No Time To Die’ Becomes 2021’s No. 2 Hollywood Movie Worldwide As It Nears $500M Global:

QONVIyz.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Minion wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

QONVIyz.gif

My favorite GIF, always puts a smile on my face.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Not sure how much of Craig’s bond is Fleming. Fleming wrote bond as not particularly dark or down. Most of the time he was so cocksure and satisfied with himself, but he had a sauveness and devil may care confidence that hid it. He was an unabashed man of the time. No crises of confidence, brooding and no doubts or much existential angst.

Whether Craig’s is an improvement is debatable but I think Connery and lazenby nailed the Fleming character.

Fleming's Bond could be melancholic, and occasionally be brooding. But overall he enjoyed pleasures to the full - women, nice clothes, fast cars, fine food and drink, travel, etc. I think I remember Connery saying he played a Bond that fully embraced these pleasures to the max, or something along those lines.

I think we need more of the once happier Bond in the next film. Casual strutting, charming, smiling more, cocky, less broody, but just the occasional moment for reflection (Craig in the mirror in CR after the stairwell fight), and also Bond not being superman (Craig in hospital in CR).

I think Craig in CR was spot on, and ticked pretty much everything I'd expect Bond to be, both cinematic and Fleming combined.
  • ^^This.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Not sure how much of Craig’s bond is Fleming. Fleming wrote bond as not particularly dark or down. Most of the time he was so cocksure and satisfied with himself, but he had a sauveness and devil may care confidence that hid it. He was an unabashed man of the time. No crises of confidence, brooding and no doubts or much existential angst.

Whether Craig’s is an improvement is debatable but I think Connery and lazenby nailed the Fleming character.

Fleming's Bond could be melancholic, and occasionally be brooding. But overall he enjoyed pleasures to the full - women, nice clothes, fast cars, fine food and drink, travel, etc. I think I remember Connery saying he played a Bond that fully embraced these pleasures to the max, or something along those lines.

I think we need more of the once happier Bond in the next film. Casual strutting, charming, smiling more, cocky, less broody, but just the occasional moment for reflection (Craig in the mirror in CR after the stairwell fight), and also Bond not being superman (Craig in hospital in CR).

I think Craig in CR was spot on, and ticked pretty much everything I'd expect Bond to be, both cinematic and Fleming combined.

Sure yes. But his brooding was more like reflection on the life he had chosen. Like the opening of Goldfinger at the airport.

It’s nice to talk to someone who is such a Fleming fan. Without wanting to derail the thread I must have listened to the books on audible every night for the last three years as I fall asleep. I practically know octopussy word for word. He is far and away my favourite author. Such a turn of phrase and economy of writing

There’s so many aspects of the character and spirits of the books that are still appealing that seem to have been lost.

And yes CR nailed it completely. Lots of people think Fleming is gritty and dark. But it’s much more than that
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    matt_u wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    NTTD’s first Monday was 31% better than SP’s first Monday.
    Because of a holiday Monday. A point I brought up in my post above.

General audiences hardly go to the movies two times within the same week… not to mention within a single weekend.
    Venom did some damage to Bond. As I said many times it’s not the main reason Bond disappointed in NA, there are a lot of factors in play, but the unexpected Venom phenomenon didn’t help Bond and most of the youngest chose the easy 90 minutes comic book flick.
    Well thank you for your thoughts on the habits of NA cinemagoers @matt_u. Though I do feel you're chasing own tail.
    Some quick data on some foreign box offices, I'll use other movies as point of comparisons

Japan :
    NTTD's first three weeks were #1 - #1 - #2 , 16M$ total so far
    Dune just opened, and in its first week is #3, behind NTTD
    #1 movie this week is Japanese movie Baragaki, which does less than half of NTTD's 1st week.

So; hardly a flop there, eh ?
    It's hardly a hit, either.

Sorry, but a 16M$ total (so far) with a population the size of Japan is peanuts. Clearly, there are other factors in play, such as their cinemas just beginning to open up after the pandemic and perhaps cinema hesitancy.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Bond is having great performances (in context of the pandemic) basically everywhere outside of USA.
    People love Bond and still consider it to be the quintessential movie franchise.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yes. Boxoffice wise it’s kinda sad that Bond is not so popular in the two biggest markets of the planet (China and US) but if they prefer sillier stuff like F&F or random comic book nonsenses maybe it’s not such a bad thing tho all things considered…
    bondywondy wrote: »
    You could argue Hollywood itself is to blame for its greed or having zero control. The idea any film should cost around 400 million dollars is insane. Eon and MGM must have lost their minds. It puts ridiculous pressure on the film to over perform at the box office. As awful as coronavirus has been (lockdowns and deaths), it will force change in Hollywood. The studios will have to stop greenlighting films with absurdly high production and marketing costs or just accept the inevitable and switch to streaming. I've read articles online that state Netflix and Spotify are in huge debt so I've no idea if they make tangible profit but they remain operational so streaming platforms appear to be viable.

I think 2021 will be the most significant chapter in the history of film since the invention of sound and colour. I reckon it is the beginning or the middle of the end of big budget theatrical releases because coronavirus has wiped out around 50 percent or more of attendance and profit.

Eon can say "Amazon have assured us Bond will remain a theatrical-only release" but that pledge (which may not be a contractual stipulation) will be meaningless if NTTD is 400 - 500 million dollars short of breaking even. Amazon will be crazy to release Bond 26 in cinemas if the overall box office remains at a 50 percent or so deficit. Imho Bond 26 will never get a theatrical release because the profit margin is unobtainable.

I think the film industry is in denial. All the films are loss makers at the box office. Only one film this year has crossed 500 million. It's catastrophic for the studios. They'll never admit it of course. Likewise, Eon will never admit releasing NTTD in September/October was a huge mistake but we all know the box office (worldwide, not in the UK which has been very impressive) was never going to get to 900 million. F9 failed to get there. My guess the only film to have a chance to break 800 will be Spider-man No Way Home but who knows if it will?

Every Bond fan will have to pray box office attendance goes back to 2019 type numbers otherwise there will never be another Bond film released in the cinemas. Amazon are not going to cut the budget (say around 100 million) to justify a theatrical release if they believe a 250 million streaming release is a better option.

This post is from a few pages back but deserves more examination. I've said many times over the last several months that the debacle at the BO will force Hollywood to change. Films have gotten bloated, messy, and too big. This is true for Bond in particular and it's time to streamline (no pun intended) and go back to basics.

Good storytelling, tight direction, solid acting, better writing... why are these concepts so passe?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Remember all the griping about the massive budget cuts for Skyfall? Filming in Bognor, etc? Didn't work out too badly, eh?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Yes, "a complete hedonist" if I remember correctly?
  • Bond is #1 again at US Box Office...Halloween is dropping fast
  • 9IW9IW
    NTTD is going to lose 15% of its theater count this weekend in the US. A $15 million total would be very good, but I think it will be in the $12 million range. Hopefully break $120 million total domestically. Dune pulls a mixed audience. Sci fi has a very diverse following. I think Dune will trend young. Premium theater pre-sales have been strong and comparable to NTTD. Dune will NOT top NTTD’s domestic opening. NTTD needs word of mouth to get to $150. Marketing, reviews and social media have moved on.
  • It will be 120m US and 515m+ WW

China will take it 600m+ WW the week after

Dune will do about 35m and it's on HBO Max I think meaning I can watch it on my telly.
  • Bond has satisfied my appetite for the cinema for the foreseeable future. Not bothered about the anything else really until The Flash comes out.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

Indeed, your characterization screams out "George Lazenby".
    How’s the situation in Australia? NTTD is supposed to come out in three weeks. Are theaters already open in big metropolitan areas?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    How’s the situation in Australia? NTTD is supposed to come out in three weeks. Are theaters already open in big metropolitan areas?
    I think they're just closed in Victoria. New South Wales cinemas require proof of vaccine; in South Australia, just wear a mask.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I think they're just closed in Victoria. New South Wales cinemas require proof of vaccine; in South Australia, just wear a mask.

Damn! I feel for you having to wait so long for a film all the rest of us have seen by now. Stay strong!
  • bondsum wrote: »
    It's hardly a hit, either.

Sorry, but a 16M$ total (so far) with a population the size of Japan is peanuts. Clearly, there are other factors in play, such as their cinemas just beginning to open up after the pandemic and perhaps cinema hesitancy.

Well that's why I wrote that all notions of hit of flop should be made compared to other movies. At the moment, NTTD's result is quite strong, in particular for a foreign movie. Next week, I think the only foreign movie left above it at the 2021 box office will be FF9. Movies #1 to #7 at the box office in Japan are all Japanese movies, FF9 is #8. So when we have NTTD's first three weeks as #1 - #1 - #2 this is more a hit than a flop as far as I'm concerned.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    jobo wrote: »
    Damn! I feel for you having to wait so long for a film all the rest of us have seen by now. Stay strong!
    The positive reviews I've read here have kept me going. ~O)
    jobo wrote: »
    The positive reviews I've read here have kept me going. ~O)

I am confident it will be worth the wait.
    It looks like Bond will lead the UK boxoffice for the fourth straight weekend, despite the release of Dune.

Keeping the British end up!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It looks like Bond will lead the UK boxoffice for the fourth straight weekend, despite the release of Dune.

Keeping the British end up!

That is very good news Indeed.