NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• manovermanover uk
    Hopefully 50 million plus more for bond at US boxoffice
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    I seem to recall Bond's US opening weekend had an additional holiday Monday, @matt_u. If one wanted to see the movie, they'd go see it. Clearly, fewer did and only had eyes for Venom. If the US professional box office analysts got their numbers wrong for NTTD, then it points to something else.

PS. I must add that no one has yet to tackle the point I first brought up with box office analysts continually changing their forecasts from Oct 4th as the opening weekend neared. They would've already factored in Venom and the pandemic in their evaluations, so there must be another reason outside of these for their renewed pessimism.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    NTTD’s first Monday was 31% better than SP’s first Monday.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I know others have mentioned it, but how much do we think the six year gap factored in to the lack of interest?

Not only are we six years removed from the last Bond compared to the frequency of other franchises (Marvel in particular), but what we have is also a direct sequel to a film that wasn't the most well received Bond adventure in the first place. Casuals who may have checked out after Spectre wouldn't exactly be in a rush to see its sequel. On top of that, it requires a lot more knowledge of the preceding films in general than past Bonds to truly get the most out of it.

While I don't think the ending necessarily is a deterrent, I think those wanting a "feel good" Bond after the pandemic have not been served well. To no fault of the film since it was obviously filmed prior to the pandemic, but nevertheless it may have inadvertently hurt the film. Still, it's quite interesting to note the difference in performance between North America and the rest of the world.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I think NTTD is imperfect, just slightly, but a great movie that will grow in estimation over time from fans. The delays in production to pandemic hurt the discussion factor and had no momentum. And for young people it would be big ask for them to connect to a story arch over a 15 year period with a lead in his 50s. Plus imagine if you’re college age, you were 5 when CR came out, were 10 when SF came out and why would you care about that snooze fest, so what are you hanging your interest on, SP? I don’t think it’s that big a surprise why young people weren’t that interested.

But the movie is doing great worldwide and when it hits streaming it will also do great business, especially in US. Which I think they timed to make the holidays. Spectre has been in top 10 in iTunes last few weeks and that’s pretty good for a forgettable movie.

I suspect their take away will be to cast young for next Bond to engage younger audience. Which is good as long as they don’t carried away and go for 20something… but you never know, they may think that’s a fresh take. Also, stepping up releases which would be a big challenge for EON. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Bond 27 comes on heals of Bond 26.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Because of a holiday Monday. A point I brought up in my post above.

Thanks @DoctorNo for your detailed assessment. Some very interestings thoughts there to think about.
    Venom is 90mn remember, it can do more business because it as more showings a day.

To my eyes, NTTD box office is only slowed down by the lesser quantity of showings a day.

Another factor might be the brain dead youth wanting to see a 90mn films because it's faster than blocking 3 hours for Bond.

I sincerely hope they do not try to reach that demographic only with the next Bond, because that would mark the end of the series. Youth have a shorter life attention span, they change opinions and trends from one day to the next. They don't give a toss about one Bond every 3 or 4 years. They like Marvel only because there are several movies a year, and they can check their brain at the door, to enjoy watching costumed heroes doing quips and CGI overload. This will not work for any Bond, and if you lose the older fans, you lose everything.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    Stamper wrote: »
    This will not work for any Bond, and if you lose the older fans, you lose everything.
    This is a very valid point and one I was going to bring up myself. Should Bond 26 alienate its core older demographic trying to appeal too quickly to a younger one, it might lose the whole lot in one go. I know I don't want to see the Adventures of Young Bond. I can handle a mature-looking actor taking on the role at around aged 35, but go too young and I just won't be interested, and NTTD really will be the fitting end for the entire James Bond franchise.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Because of a holiday Monday. A point I brought up in my post above.

General audiences hardly go to the movies two times within the same week… not to mention within a single weekend.
    Venom did some damage to Bond. As I said many times it’s not the main reason Bond disappointed in NA, there are a lot of factors in play, but the unexpected Venom phenomenon didn’t help Bond and most of the youngest chose the easy 90 minutes comic book flick.
  • FYI: On the Columbus Day holiday in the US, the only people who get the day off are federal (government) workers & bank employees. Virtually everybody else has to work.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    FYI: On the Columbus Day holiday in the US, the only people who get the day off are federal (government) workers & bank employees. Virtually everybody else has to work.

Yeah Columbus Day it’s not exactly July 4th…
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,015
    Super-early figures of Venom in France compared to super-early figures of NTTD ("Mourir peut attendre") in France - that is the first seance in the cinema at the heart of Paris, a figure that is very symbolic for the industry. People here can start talking about a flop or a hit with this single figure !

FCIG49PWEAQielW.jpg

FBA2m-PUUAQhgV9.jpg

yes, you read it well, that's 25 for Venom vs 127 for NTTD !
  • Some nations have better taste in film than others, that's for sure!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I quite like "Mourir Peut Attendre" as a title as well!
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Ryan wrote: »

In Italy they used that same translation for DAD back in 2002.
    Some quick data on some foreign box offices, I'll use other movies as point of comparisons

Japan :
    NTTD's first three weeks were #1 - #1 - #2 , 16M$ total so far
    Dune just opened, and in its first week is #3, behind NTTD
    #1 movie this week is Japanese movie Baragaki, which does less than half of NTTD's 1st week.

So; hardly a flop there, eh ?

Russia :
    Ok, there, Venom Carnage *is* the massive hit !
    NTTD's first week was a third of Venom's first week...
    NTDD opened at #2, with Carnage still at #1 on its second week.

Greece :
    NTTD's #1 for its first three weeks and is already #2 of the whole 2021 just below a greek movie. It has already done 4 times the figures of FF9.
  • matt_u wrote: »

Ah !

So "Mourir peut attendre" is 19 years after "La Morte Puo' Attendere" ! :)

iRPL5M3P7hmHZIw6f5f8CXmM6Ty-scaled.jpg
    4026494.jpg
  • RyanRyan Canada

I guess there's No Time To Die Another Day.
  • Looks like NTTD is going to be big in Germany :

#1 for its first three weeks !

1.194.000 viewers in its opening week-end (2nd movie had 10 times less...)

And not much steam lost in the threes weeks, only about -20% each week ! At the moment it means about 45 M$.

It's already an undisputed #1 for the year at the moment. Of course it will depend of the next releases.
    I don't know if the results in France are so-so or are good yet !

A 43% drop in the second week means it's just above 2M in 2 weeks, the Eiffel movie 1st week is behing NTTD's second week but not a flop, and there is more competition to come, which means NTTD final figures are hard to guess. At the moment NTTD is #4 of the year, and movies #1, #2 (Dune), #3 have French-speaking directors, too bad they did not used the fact NTTD's director speaks French too here :) French moviegoers like to hear from the directors of the movies !
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Also, where’s Craig’s Goldeneye 64 for his generation of young gamers to get them interested in 007 again?

Not a fair comparison. Brosnan's era (1995-2004) coincidence with the infancy of 3D shooter games. There was very little competition, so Goldeneye being released back then was revolutionary. But today there's thousands of them, and it's really hard to stand out. Even if a great very good game is made, it won't have the impact Goldeneye back then.

Not sure how much of Craig’s bond is Fleming. Fleming wrote bond as not particularly dark or down. Most of the time he was so cocksure and satisfied with himself, but he had a sauveness and devil may care confidence that hid it. He was an unabashed man of the time. No crises of confidence, brooding and no doubts or much existential angst.

Whether Craig’s is an improvement is debatable but I think Connery and lazenby nailed the Fleming character.
  • Is this age thing really a factor?
    The MCU's most popular hero, Iron Man was already 43 when he started out and his popularity grew exponentially. The majority of the core cast of the MCU franchise started at least in their late 30s and currently skews over 40 and 50. Looking at phase 1, the youngest core actors were ScarJo, Chris Evans and Hemsworth. People love the fast and furious movies and yes, it's been going on for 20 years now but the films are still currently very successful and People go out to see these films who's main cast are all over 40 bar Nathaloe Emmanuel's character and the lead, Vin Diesel in his mid 50s.
    Then there's mission impossible. Tom Cruise is the draw and the man will be 60 next summer.

Personally, I don't think Bond's age isn't the problem per se but if the films go out of their way and address his age and refer to him as being an old man, being irrelevant and oast it, then that could be a problem. The aforementioned films don't factor their ages into the story for it to be somewhat of a hindrance to the respective characters. So, casting extremely young like someone in their 20s is so not necessary. We need an actor ideally in their 30s and to bring the credible capability to meet the demands of the role and to bring the fun factor of BEING Bond back.

Craig's films have been largely really good films and enjoyable but more often than not, the fantasy of wanting to be him has been absent (at least for me anyway). Let's see Bond the cool, brutal, butt-kicking charmer, Bond the man who can have fun and find enjoyment in this perilous job he has. Less tragic trauma and more thrilling treats, please.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Some quick data on some foreign box offices, I'll use other movies as point of comparisons

Japan :
    NTTD's first three weeks were #1 - #1 - #2 , 16M$ total so far
    Dune just opened, and in its first week is #3, behind NTTD
    #1 movie this week is Japanese movie Baragaki, which does less than half of NTTD's 1st week.

So; hardly a flop there, eh ?

Russia :
    Ok, there, Venom Carnage *is* the massive hit !
    NTTD's first week was a third of Venom's first week...
    NTDD opened at #2, with Carnage still at #1 on its second week.

Greece :
    NTTD's #1 for its first three weeks and is already #2 of the whole 2021 just below a greek movie. It has already done 4 times the figures of FF9.
    Looks like NTTD is going to be big in Germany :

#1 for its first three weeks !

1.194.000 viewers in its opening week-end (2nd movie had 10 times less...)

And not much steam lost in the threes weeks, only about -20% each week ! At the moment it means about 45 M$.

It's already an undisputed #1 for the year at the moment. Of course it will depend of the next releases.

Thanks very much for this information. B-)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,665
    On the whole, things look good.

Remember, the same folks who made the widely-reported and very silly claim that the movie needs $928 million to break even also predicted it would earn less that $500 million at the global box office.

Remember, the same folks who made the widely-reported and very silly claim that the movie needs $928 million to break even also predicted it would earn less that $500 million at the global box office.

Oh -- you mean the folks at mi6-hq.com, the same group hosting the forum that enables you to post your whining about the film's budget?

For the record, here's what they posted:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-box-office-projection-for-october-2021?t=&s=&id=04915

Now the ball's in your court. Please present us with the evidence that you have refuting their "very silly claim."
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,665
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Oh -- you mean the folks at mi6-hq.com, the same group hosting the forum that enables you to post your whining about the film's budget?

For the record, here's what they posted:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-box-office-projection-for-october-2021?t=&s=&id=04915

Now the ball's in your court. Please present us with the evidence that you have refuting their "very silly claim."

Yes, I mean the folks at mi6-hq. If you apply their formula to other Bond movies, all the Craig films would probably have lost money except for Skyfall. That seems unlikely. They also don't account for product placement/endorsements, which is a hefty sum of money.

They also said $530 million was the high end of what the film could earn at the global box office and gave inaccurate data on COVID regulations in cinemas. They have no idea what they're talking about.

Also, not sure where I was whining, or where I mentioned the budget in that post.... :-?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I enjoy this forum but often enough differ in opinion from the panel on the podcasts. C'est la vie.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Is this age thing really a factor?
    The MCU's most popular hero, Iron Man was already 43 when he started out and his popularity grew exponentially. The majority of the core cast of the MCU franchise started at least in their late 30s and currently skews over 40 and 50. Looking at phase 1, the youngest core actors were ScarJo, Chris Evans and Hemsworth. People love the fast and furious movies and yes, it's been going on for 20 years now but the films are still currently very successful and People go out to see these films who's main cast are all over 40 bar Nathaloe Emmanuel's character and the lead, Vin Diesel in his mid 50s.
    Then there's mission impossible. Tom Cruise is the draw and the man will be 60 next summer.

Personally, I don't think Bond's age isn't the problem per se but if the films go out of their way and address his age and refer to him as being an old man, being irrelevant and oast it, then that could be a problem. The aforementioned films don't factor their ages into the story for it to be somewhat of a hindrance to the respective characters. So, casting extremely young like someone in their 20s is so not necessary. We need an actor ideally in their 30s and to bring the credible capability to meet the demands of the role and to bring the fun factor of BEING Bond back.

Craig's films have been largely really good films and enjoyable but more often than not, the fantasy of wanting to be him has been absent (at least for me anyway). Let's see Bond the cool, brutal, butt-kicking charmer, Bond the man who can have fun and find enjoyment in this perilous job he has. Less tragic trauma and more thrilling treats, please.

Well said!
  • RC7RC7
    I enjoy this forum but often enough differ in opinion from the panel on the podcasts. C'est la vie.

There’s a decent portion of highfalutin waffle on there.