NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Just one other point i agree with members here, that by the end of the coming weekend, NTTD would of crossed over $100 mil in North America.

For what is worth, Fast 9 grossed $116 million by the end of its second weekend (without counting July 4th long 4 days weekend). I believe NNTD will end its domestic run at $150 million.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Just one other point i agree with members here, that by the end of the coming weekend, NTTD would of crossed over $100 mil in North America.

For what is worth, Fast 9 grossed $116 million by the end of its second weekend (without counting July 4th long 4 days weekend). I believe NNTD will end its domestic run at $150 million.

Yes that's very likely but i'am hoping it will reach CR and QOS level. They grossed around $167-168 mil.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    Regarding Dalton, he just didn't click with American audiences.....i think they thought him too dour, in an era where Americans flocked to buddy-buddy films like Lethal Weapon.
    Yes, I've heard the "too dour" label bandied about as well. As for Lethal Weapon, it only came out a couple of months before the release of TLD, so it really wasn't long enough to establish a preferential taste for buddy cop movies over Bond, though you might say the American's prefered a better mix of humour with their action if the box office results were anything to go by in '87.
  • 9IW9IW
    bondsum wrote: »
    Regarding Dalton, he just didn't click with American audiences.....i think they thought him too dour, in an era where Americans flocked to buddy-buddy films like Lethal Weapon.
    Yes, I've heard the "too dour" label bandied about as well. As for Lethal Weapon, it only came out a couple of months before the release of TLD, so it really wasn't long enough to establish a preferential taste for buddy cop movies over Bond, though you might say the American's prefered a better mix of humour with their action if the box office results were anything to go by in '87.
    True. Beverly Hills Cop 2 was out in 87 as well.
    Any updates on the UK numbers?
    The Numbers reports that the UK gross stands at $72 million. It's weird because they say it was updated yesterday even tho that figure is the same as three days ago.
  • NTTD was defo made with alot of love for fans of Fleming's Bond which DC embodied so well. Selfishly speaking I know, but I personally dont care that the film didn't strike a chord with the youth market in the States. They can have their Mission "very much possible" and " Quick and the Angry" franchises etc. I prefer something with a bit of heart and character.

I'm definitely not the youth market, and I'm more a Fleming fan the the cinematic version, and I hated the film. I cannot see this love for the Fleming fans in NTTD. All I see is disrespect for the original material. Had NTTD ended like YOLT, then I would have loved the movie probably more than you did.

We will have to respectably agree to disagree on NTTD. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things I guess.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    There was a couple sitting in the row in front of me and the guy got up during the gunbarrel dots (which REALLY pissed me off as it blocked my sacred gunbarrel view).
    I had my second viewing on the same day as you. The film was halfway through the Matera scene and someone was just arriving at the theater. I couldn't help but mentally roll my eyes, thinking he had the gall to miss the gunbarrel sequence, not to mention that striking first scene.

During the end credits I was the only audience member who stayed for the JAMES BOND WILL RETURN credit.
    Same here. And for the music.

The theatre staff cleaning crew seemed to be making an effort to distract us and get us out as the credits rolled. FFS! I 'm enjoying Louis Armstrong! Show some respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Once again, same here. The staff doesn't wait for the film to be over, they just enter the place shortly after the credits begin rolling and begin breaking one's concentration.

One woman wept as her partner left with her shaking his head.
    For Bond? Wow. That's really something. I didn't see anything like that in my viewings.
    The Numbers reports that the UK gross stands at $72 million. It's weird because they say it was updated yesterday even tho that figure is the same as three days ago.

Regarding UK BO figures for NTTD......well i believe the film trade organisations such as Screen International probably keep daily records for films, but to access this info you would need a subscription, and its not cheap. As far as i know there are no free records of UK daily box office performance on the internet. Sites such as the BFI (British Film Institute), do publish a report each week on UK film box office, which is available on the internet, usually published mid-week. The latest BO figures from the UK then are for upto the end of last weekend the 10th Oct, so no daily weekday records since then (unless someone can find this info for free). Anyway the latest official figure for NTTD in the UK upto end of 10/10/21 is £52,694,547 (weekend gross was £15,235,947). Therefore last known official gross translated into US dollars would be around $72.1 million. I would hazard a guess that end of today Thursday the film would of passed $80 million.
    Regarding the reaction to the end of NTTD, a work colleague of mine who loved the film said his wife was in tears at the end of the film. Not that film was bad, but because it was so emotional. I do remember when i went to see the film, many people had the look of shock on their faces when leaving the cinema.
    My girlfriend got emotional too and she's not exactly a fan.
    My girlfriend got emotional too and she's not exactly a fan.
    Did you make her stay for James Bond will Return to cheer her up?
    bondywondy wrote: »
    The worldwide box office has collapsed since coronavirus in March 2020. Only one US film has grossed over 500 million worldwide - F9.

No Time To Get A Better Ending was never going to make 900 million. It would be a brave man to try and predict the future with any degree of confidence but my guess is cinema is in terminal decline. We'll have to see if the box office can return to pre coronavirus 2019 levels. It seems unlikely.

If cinema never recovers I can't see Bond 26 going straight to the big screen. The box office won't be high enough to guarantee profit.

Cinema has recovered. Not completely recovered because the pandemic is still a thing but everything points to this direction: people still want to see big event movies in a theater.

Half recovered at best and even that assessment is open to debate!

No 2021 film has made close to a billion dollars. 2019 had nine films make over one billion dollars.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2019/

Only one 2021 US film has grossed over 500 million dollars. We're 10 months into 2021 and only F 9 has crossed 500 million ww.

No Time To Reshoot A Better Ending could hit 500 plus. We'll have to wait and see .

The box office may never recover to 2019 levels. This is why you're having actors like Brad Pitt, Clooney, Decaprio, Johnson, Hanks etc switching to streaming films. This rarely happened before coronavirus. If around half the cinema going demographic don't care about returning then cinema is in trouble so Eon's insistence Bond will remain a theatrical only experience may come back to haunt them! If NTTD fails to make over 500 million ww then Amazon may want Bond 26 as a streaming only release (with limited Imax screenings a few weeks after streaming day of release).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No Time To Reshoot A Better Ending

How mature of you.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    No Time To Reshoot A Better Ending

How mature of you.
    Lol
    Just a joke. 😊
    For what it’s worth my screening at 7.30 last night was still 80-90% sold out
    Matt007 wrote: »
    For what it’s worth my screening at 7.30 last night was still 80-90% sold out

That's good to know. The cinema was mostly bare both times I saw the film. Of course they were matinee shows.
    Read a comment here that someone said NTTD would be lucky to make $500 mil......well i think that is very pessimistic indeed, in fact basically the film would need to totally collapse now in all markets for that to happen. Going by the current BO, and previous tracking of Bond films, NTTD will be well past the $400 mil after next weekend, could be around $430-435 mil, and is still earning big money in Europe. The film will be earning reasonable sums in the US for a while, and this will be boosted by the Thanksgiving holiday at its tail end. Then we still have Australia (a very friendly Bond market), and of course the big market China.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Read a comment here that someone said NTTD would be lucky to make $500 mil......well i think that is very pessimistic indeed, in fact basically the film would need to totally collapse now in all markets for that to happen. Going by the current BO, and previous tracking of Bond films, NTTD will be well past the $400 mil after next weekend, could be around $430-435 mil, and is still earning big money in Europe. The film will be earning reasonable sums in the US for a while, and this will be boosted by the Thanksgiving holiday at its tail end. Then we still have Australia (a very friendly Bond market), and of course the big market China.

Can we assume that NTTD will still be running in U.S. theaters come Thanksgiving? I'd be surprised if it is but certainly wouldn't shoot down the opportunity to see it once again around that time.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 1,098
    Thanksgiving is only some 5 weeks away........yes the Bond film will be in far fewer theatres, and at its tail end........but those final boosted daily grosses will certainly help. For NTTD to not be in US theatres by then, the film would of had to of dropped like a lead balloon, box office wise.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thanksgiving is only some 5 weeks away........yes the Bond film will be in far fewer theatres, and at its tail end........but those final boosted daily grosses will certainly help. For NTTD to not be in US theatres by then, the film would of had to of dropped like a lead balloon, box office wise.

Thanks for that. Those are all fair points, I just know the pandemic keeps us in unprecedented times so I was curious if films are leaving quicker now that these blockbusters and other releases are heating up once again. It's tough to get a handle on what's likely, but you're right, will most likely have to do with the legs of its box office returns and how much money it keeps making.
    China is now a big factor in order to hit the $700 million mark. They can bring $50 to maybe even $100 million (even tho that’s quite unlikely). It’s really unpredictable there. Too bad Bond is not popular as F&F there. F9 grossed $200 millions in China…
    An interesting fact for our American friends to consider, is that they don't appear to understand how big Bond is outside of their market? North America is obviously the land of film, and with a population of over 330 mil in the US alone, is the biggest market in the Western world.......but its not the dominate force it used to be, and the percentage of worldwide gross has diminished over the decades. If you take population as a figure to estimate gross, then as a UK newspaper recently spelled out, with the US having a population 5x the UK, then that would mean the UK opening gross of NTTD in the UK, being something like $175 mil in the US. Now this is not to say that would happen, its just a very rough guide to show the big difference in US gross to the UK gross for NTTD.
    Mind you, the biggest market in the world at present is China, some of their films have had truly massive weekend grosses!
    Bond has got some tough opposition in the UK this weekend...........with Venom 2, and that chap Michael Myers :)
  • RainyRainy Skyfall
    I do think that a part of the reason that studios focus on the NA market is that studios get a larger percentage of the gross in NA compared to other territories including China. I remember reading this somewhere but I don't have the exact percentages.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Bond has got some tough opposition in the UK this weekend...........with Venom 2, and that chap Michael Myers :)

I thought Bond (or Madeleine, at the very least) got a taste of Michael Myers at the beginning of the film. ;)

Rainy wrote: »
    I do think that a part of the reason that studios focus on the NA market is that studios get a larger percentage of the gross in NA compared to other territories including China. I remember reading this somewhere but I don't have the exact percentages.

Yes.......i have read in the past that as a general rule of thumb, studios get 50% of box office gross back in the US, some 40% in International territories, and only 25% in China. The fixation with opening grosses, is that this is the time the studios get a better percentage of the grosses, as naturally as films play longer and receipts drop down, the cinema chains give back a lower percentage of the receipts back to the studio, otherwise it would be not economical for them to screen the film to a much smaller audience.
  • 9IW9IW
    An interesting fact for our American friends to consider, is that they don't appear to understand how big Bond is outside of their market? North America is obviously the land of film, and with a population of over 330 mil in the US alone, is the biggest market in the Western world.......but its not the dominate force it used to be, and the percentage of worldwide gross has diminished over the decades. If you take population as a figure to estimate gross, then as a UK newspaper recently spelled out, with the US having a population 5x the UK, then that would mean the UK opening gross of NTTD in the UK, being something like $175 mil in the US. Now this is not to say that would happen, its just a very rough guide to show the big difference in US gross to the UK gross for NTTD.
    Mind you, the biggest market in the world at present is China, some of their films have had truly massive weekend grosses!

Yes.......i have read in the past that as a general rule of thumb, studios get 50% of box office gross back in the US, some 40% in International territories, and only 25% in China. The fixation with opening grosses, is that this is the time the studios get a better percentage of the grosses, as naturally as films play longer and receipts drop down, the cinema chains give back a lower percentage of the receipts back to the studio, otherwise it would be not economical for them to screen the film to a much smaller audience.

Most of us Americans do not understand the global box office market. Those that do understand that the domestic box office for a Bond film is going to be under 30% of the worldwide total. Spectre is the most recent outing and actually the domestic take for that film was only 22.7% of the total, which is somewhat concerning. The American market is more lucrative to the studio than the international market. For many tentpoles, it is actually more pronounced than stated above. For blockbuster type movies, the studios may force a sliding scale percentage on the theater owners and in the first week of release the studios take may be as high as 90%, sliding back over time to about 60%. Thus, an American ticket is substantially more valuable than a Chinese ticket. I do not know that this is the case for NTTD. Pandemic-era economics have likely sparked some unusual negotiations.

I continue to hold to my prediction of less than $200 million domestically, $55-75 million in China and a $700 million cume for NTTD. I want NTTD to do well domestically and overall, so I am hoping that the film has greater legs than I predict and a more successful China run than I suspect. China is a difficult market to predict. But we can hope.

There are some reports that NTTD has to do $800 million to break-even, given production and marketing costs. I am aware that MGM projected a $22 million profit for the film, which sounds paltry given the total receipts, but believable. One thing I am certain of: EON and Daniel Craig did just fine on this film financially.
  • RainyRainy Skyfall
    edited October 2021 Posts: 40

NTTD grosses $4.19 million on Tuesday. Good hold.

NTTD grosses $4.19 million on Tuesday. Good hold.

Yep that was a decent gross for Wednesday not Tuesday......coz Wednesdays are always a weak BO day..........so another $4mil for Thursday will give us some $75mil, plus hopefully a $25 mil Friday-Sunday take, which will put Bond, very close to, or over the $100 mil mark........then we will have to see how well the film can do afterwards.