NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241
    danielcc wrote: »

Just did a Google search about most popular films at the cinema in Norway, and according to Wikipedia, it looks like SP and QoS were both the second most popular films the year of their release. QoS beaten by Mamma Mia, and SP by Bølgen. There are no numbers from the years SF and CR were released in that Wikipedia article.

SF was No. 2 that year in Norway behind Kon-Tiki.

Thanks! Kon-Tiki was a very popular film that year, so I'm not surprised.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I agree, this incarnation is stale. And the marketing for this movie thus far has been atrocious. I think that press conference got a few thousand loyal fans watching, and the column inches generated by it was superseded in a nanosecond by hype for Avengers Endgame. It was a complete shambles from concept to execution with technical errors rife and some of the cast looking seemingly so bewildered and confused by their own involvement. And I can't help but feels like all the stuntcasting was supposed to make more of a splash than has been the result.

The trailers for this must be showstoppers because otherwise their is a serious danger that Bond 25 could come and go without the major audience really being aware.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    When is BOND 25 released? April 2020?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

April 8, 2020.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 4,400
    I agree, this incarnation is stale. And the marketing for this movie thus far has been atrocious. I think that press conference got a few thousand loyal fans watching, and the column inches generated by it was superseded in a nanosecond by hype for Avengers Endgame. It was a complete shambles from concept to execution with technical errors rife and some of the cast looking seemingly so bewildered and confused by their own involvement. And I can't help but feels like all the stuntcasting was supposed to make more of a splash than has been the result.

The trailers for this must be showstoppers because otherwise their is a serious danger that Bond 25 could come and go without the major audience really being aware.

@Mendes4Lyfe This is inaccurate.

There was a snarky comment in the MI6-HQ write-up that only 12,000 people watched the event live on YouTube. Well, I watched the announcement on Twitter and numerous others watched on different platforms, such as Facebook or Instagram. So that report does not reflect the full truth accurately.

Additionally, BST in the UK had the announcement happen at 13:10 on a Thursday. Where most were at work or school - having to rush to watch it in the toilets or catch it later.

Since then over 350k views have been collected on YouTube. That's not huge compared to trailer reveal numbers - but the video is a fairly mundane and non-eventful video that lasts 20 minutes! Primarily, it was an event for the press and superfans. In that context, the launch did it's job.

Also, Bond 25 and Rami Malek were trending worldwide on 25 April. That was not just in the wake of Avengers: Endgame, but also the same day that Joe Biden announced he was running for President.

Plus, the inadvertent publicity that Craig's knee has generated more column inches than the launch event. In fact, from a publicity point of view, the injury has been a gift. It shows Craig's commitment to the role and promises the public that he's involved in the action. That stuff sells tickets.

However, I do agree that the trailer needs to stand-out. It's fairly easy to cut together a Bond trailer.....so I hope Eon don't screw it up.

Really this film needs to sell the fact that Daniel Craig is back for a final time AND Rami Malek is the villain.

james-bond-25-plot-daniel-craig-rami-malek-1134564.webp?r=1559307772295
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    April 8, 2020.
    That was my attempt at sarcasm.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    April 8, 2020.
    That was my attempt at sarcasm.

Ahh. I was about to say, the answer was only a Google search away. Makes sense though, this thread was made way too early. We won't have a semblance of an idea of what the box office will entail for many, many months.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Spider-Man: Far From Home has knocked down Skyfall to the 007th place in terms of biggest Sony film at the US box office. The current top 5 is Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and Spider-man: Homecoming.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    edited July 2019 Posts: 371
    [*] It's riding a new feminist wave and there are rumoured plans to introduce a female 007; and
    [*] We could see the death of Bond! They should play into the whole 'final film' angle! This trope is fast becoming fashionable for blockbusters and the box office results speak for themselves.

I would rather see the end of the franchise than those two.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited July 2019 Posts: 2,494
    OMvkeTa.jpg

Marvel have released their upcoming slate at Comic Con.

Rachel is in Black Widow, which will likely run into the tail end of the B25 box office.

I think objectively the numbers the studio should expect for B25 should be around 700-900 million worldwide.

Anything less than that and they should be really concered. Anything above that and everything is great.

I personally expect the movie to do less than SPECTRE...as of right now.

After the first trailer we'll see what we can expect and the quality of the movie is into play (which will be really important actually)

So...I think the hype for Bond slightly fell down after SPECTRE and especially after the 007 replacement.

The only thing which might be positive is if they market it as "last Craig adventure" which should boost those who will be on the fence for the movie.

So yeah, I think around 700-750m worldwide should be enough.

Surely 600m would still mean this is not a financial flop but.....it would be a sign of bad things...

And I'd like to believe Bond is just like Marvel, it's popular enough that people would see it no matter what so 500m is given as a starting point
    And maybe the 5-year break is also would be a problem.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Sani wrote: »
    And maybe the 5-year break is also would be a problem.

The five year break could also be an advantage if they double-down on the BOND IS BACK angle.

Even still, my estimations are rather conservative - I'd say about $750-800million is reasonable at this stage. There's plenty of chatter about the film now so if they capitalise on that and we get more teases over the next month, that figure could grow in my head.
    The five year break could also be an advantage if they double-down on the BOND IS BACK angle.

That's right, it's a double-edged sword.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    It's hard to know Box office with all the rumors I would say if we have more official things we would have a better idea.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Bond may not have a cult-like grip on its fans in the way Disney does, but no Bond has ever lost money - not even the ones that underperform. B25 will be an event that I would expect at least approaches Spectre’s numbers.
    I think the Lashana Lynch controversy could help the Box office a little bit. Captain Marvel had a lot of people threatening to boycott because of Brie Larson’s views and still made over $1 billion worldwide. Beauty and the Beast had a similar controversy with a character being gay and it made similar results. Controversy such as this gets people talking and in some cases intrigued and can pull in a new audience.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I think the Lashana Lynch controversy could help the Box office a little bit. Captain Marvel had a lot of people threatening to boycott because of Brie Larson’s views and still made over $1 billion worldwide. Beauty and the Beast had a similar controversy with a character being gay and it made similar results. Controversy such as this gets people talking and in some cases intrigued and can pull in a new audience.
    I agree with you on this. I think the Lashana Lynch element can really make it feel fresh (regardless if you're for or against it) and I trust the team of Fukunaga + Sandgren to cook up something that looks visually stunning to grab people.
    There’s a problem if they need to do these types of things to pull in the audience
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    There’s a problem if they need to do these types of things to pull in the audience
    Maybe it’s, oh I don’t know, for the benefit the film. I know from your extensive posts on the subject that you don’t like a black woman having the designated number 007, but these decisions can serve a purpose beyond politics.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2019 Posts: 7,969
    People were very disappointed with SPECTREs boxoffocie results back in 2015, yet now it seems like expectations are even lower for Bond. If they want to pull over 750 then they NEED to least release a poster with title very soon. It's already overdue.
    People were very disappointed with SPECTREs boxoffocie results back in 2015, yet now it seems like expectations are even lower for Bond. If they want to pull over 750 then they NEED to least release a poster with title very soon. It's already overdue.

Another set video in the next couple of weeks and then the poster and teaser at the start of August would be fine.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,449
    People were very disappointed with SPECTREs boxoffocie results back in 2015,

Were they? Who were those people?

yet now it seems like expectations are even lower for Bond.

Really? Your sources?

If they want to pull over 750 then they NEED to least release a poster with title very soon. It's already overdue.

Where's the logic in that? A poster today or else the film will not be able to make 750? How does that work?

@Mendes4Lyfe graces us with his ill-informed pessimism once again, before skipping away without even the dignity of a response. He’ll be back in a week to once again dispense his vitriol.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Minion wrote: »

@Mendes4Lyfe graces us with his ill-informed pessimism once again, before skipping away without even the dignity of a response. He’ll be back in a week to once again dispense his vitriol.

Bond 25 is still over 8 months away, I doubt anyone in the general audience care about the film's poster and/or title as of July 22, 2019. Hell, is anyone on MI6Community going to boycott the film if they don't release a poster before August? Or even before September? Pretty sure @Mendes4Lyfe is just eagerly awaiting for new Bond 25 material so he can twist into more doomsday announcements. No poster? The film is doomed! A poster is released? It's so terrible the film will flop anyway!

Bond 25 is still over 8 months away, I doubt anyone in the general audience care about the film's poster and/or title as of July 22, 2019.

The general audience won't care about a film until the theatrical trailers arrive a few months before – and leading up to the release. They don't concern themselves about the productions as they have other things to fill their time with.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 15,686

Bond 25 is still over 8 months away, I doubt anyone in the general audience care about the film's poster and/or title as of July 22, 2019.

The general audience won't care about a film until the theatrical trailers arrive a few months before – and leading up to the release. They don't concern themselves about the productions as they have other things to fill their time with.

Exactly. Until a first teaser trailer arrives, a poster and/or a title announcement isn't really important as the film is too far away to be on anyone's radar. Bond doesn't need a massive media campaign a whole year prior to release day like a superhero or Star Wars movie. The 007 franchise has enough clout for Bond 25 to pull-in audience without dozens of trailers, posters, clips, tv spots at this point in time.

People do know a new Bond film is coming, as has always been the case since 1962, so there is no need to stress or be in a hurry over anything.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241

Exactly. Until a first teaser trailer arrives, a poster and/or a title announcement isn't really important as the film is too far away to be on anyone's radar. Bond doesn't need a massive media campaign a whole year prior to release day like a superhero or Star Wars movie. The 007 franchise has enough clout for Bond 25 to pull-in audience without dozens of trailers, posters, clips, tv spots at this point in time.

People do know a new Bond film is coming, as has always been the case since 1962, so there is no need to stress or be in a hurry over anything.

Indeed. There's nothing wrong with having a longer campaign, including posters, trailers and small teasers, but the average cinema goer will only have a film on their radar close to the release anyway.

What's interesting really, is how they're going to market this film. Craig's last? New 007?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Wouldn't they have enough filming for a teaser trailer they have done more filming before a trailer then when Spectre's came out.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Wouldn't they have enough filming for a teaser trailer they have done more filming before a trailer then when Spectre's came out.

Yes, but it's more about timing than how much footage they've shot. They don't need much footage for a teaser.

SP's teaser arrived at the end of March, seven months before release. We're eight months from release.

So something is certainly coming soon.