Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    NSNA over DAF.
    YOLT over SP. YOLT is in my Top 5 Bond movies.

Off Topic Blofeld Ranking:
    1. Gray
    2. Waltz
    3. Pleasance
    4. Savalas
    5. Unseen
    (The first two are among my favourite villains)
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    marc wrote: »
    NSNA over DAF.
    YOLT over SP. YOLT is in my Top 5 Bond movies.

Off Topic Blofeld Ranking:
    1. Gray
    2. Waltz
    3. Pleasance
    4. Savalas
    5. Unseen
    (The first two are among my favourite villains)

You prefer NSNA to DAF, but the latter's Blofeld is your favourite? Same with YOLT and SP too...

My ranking is Unseen > Savalas > (drop) Pleasance > Gray > (drop) Waltz > Hollis/"bald villain in wheelchair" > Sydow
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,009
    I like NSNA (my main controversial opinion regarding Bond is that I personally prefer it to TB: it's way funnier despite being a bit inferior), but it doesn’t hold a candle on DAF; likewise, I like SP, but I prefer YOLT by a mile.
    Liking ALL Bond movies comes with a bit of a price: having to leave out the other 25 (counting non-official theatrical releases) when choosing one for a post like this,

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Agent_One wrote: »
    You prefer NSNA to DAF, but the latter's Blofeld is your favourite? Same with YOLT and SP too...
    Yes, DAF had the potential of being one of my favourite Bond movies, but I don't like some things about it.
    Waltz is one of the few outstanding things about SP IMO. I don't like Pleasance so much in YOLT, but his lair makes for a great climax of the movie.

DAF naturally
    YOLT by a hair’s breadth

Off topic Blofeld

1 Unseen (perfect)
    2 Gray
    3 Hollis
    4 Savalas
    5 Pleasance
    6 Von Sydow

Pleasance was a fantastically creepy actor and I love him in most films. But he was the wrong actor for YOLT’s version of Blofeld.
    How is Savalas worse than FYEO's "bald villain in wheelchair"?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    How is Savalas worse than FYEO's "bald villain in wheelchair"?

How is Max von Sydow worse than any of the others? Let alone all of them. I think this reflects the board equivalent of being "politically correct" because someone dared to make a non-EoN movie and thus committed blasphemy in the opinion of the true believers. I've said it before (as did others), but probably due to the fact that I saw NSNA several times before I ever encountered TB, and also liked NSNA better than OP from the beginning, I have quite a bit more fondness for the "bastard" than for those two. In particular, I find it considerably more entertaining than either. And von Sydow is off-hand one of my favourite Blofeld portrayals. I wouldn't even count Hollis. That's like counting CR67 as a Bond movie.
    But VS does absolutely nothing in NSNA. I love the guy, but he's a non-entity in that film.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    But VS does absolutely nothing in NSNA. I love the guy, but he's a non-entity in that film.
    That's because (maybe excepting OHMSS and DAF) Blofeld is really superfluous except as a background menace, a bit of a human McGuffin...which is why the "unseen" Blofeld seems to be the favourite with many. I don't need a Blofeld doing the dirty work if I have the two Largos (No. 2) or someone like Klebb doing it on his behalf. Considering this, I think it is amazing how much Pleasance's Blofeld defined the character in the public perception. That's how people see Blofeld. Basically nobody except the elite circle of Bond fans thinks of Savalas, and even most of those like to dismiss Gray. But Pleasance does not have a much bigger role than von Sydow, if you ask me. So it doesn't make a difference to me if he actively drives the action or whatever. All he needs to be is the background thread, believable as the mastermind behind it all. (And at least Gray isn't.)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Exactly. As I said earlier, probably the best actor of the bunch. Where's the cold ruthlessness?

Your comment probably overlapped with mine somewhat. I find someone not designed to be crazy/abnormal/freaky, or cold/ruthless, often more threatening than the others. Max von Sydow is the only Blofeld before Christoph Waltz that is actually shown in person, but not designed to be one of the aforementioned. And it wasn't necessary since Brandauer and Carrera took care of all the craziness one needs in villains, even if they were only "henchpersons" by usual standards.

And again, including "delicatessen in stainless steel" Hollis in any ranking of Blofelds makes no sense. He's there to be disposed of. Pure comic relief (ha-ha) when he is dumped into the smokestack. The first time I saw the film I didn't even think of Blofeld, and didn't care.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    In 1981. I was beyond excited to see the grave, the bald head and the cat in succession. No internet, no spoilers, a complete surprise. Obviously, the execution was a letdown. But worth it for those moments of dawning realization that after a decade that storyline was finally being revisited.
    That must have been a great experience.
    But...although I'll accept some blame for it, we are digressing a bit, aren't we, @Thunderfinger ?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    But...although I'll accept some blame for it, we are digressing a bit, aren't we, @Thunderfinger ?

Not at all. All discussion is well within the premises for this thread.
    Savalas is great, but when he’s onscreen I don’t for a moment believe he’s Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

He would be better IMO as Largo. He would be a fantastic Largo. Or one of the Spang brothers from the DAF novel.

Doesn’t work for me as Blofeld though, he’s too American, a bit too Mafia.

Hollis for all his faults feels more like Blofeld
    Savalas is great, but when he’s onscreen I don’t for a moment believe he’s Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

He would be better IMO as Largo. He would be a fantastic Largo. Or one of the Spang brothers from the DAF novel.

You may be onto something there @IGotABrudder . I've always felt Savalas was a much different character than the Blofelds of previous films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2020 Posts: 17,727

You may be onto something there @IGotABrudder . I've always felt Savalas was a much different character than the Blofelds of previous films.

OHMSS being much more heavily based on the Fleming source novel most likely helped with that as much as the casting of Telly Savalas in the role of Blofeld.
    Savalas deviated from the previous Blofelds, but made him so much more lively and charismatic! I'd say it's one the most well-acted and enjoyable Bond villain performances. Instead of trampling all over poor Lazenby, I find that Savalas brought the best out of him. Their dynamic is great!
    Savalas and Rigg definitely carried OHMSS.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 45,489
    DAF beats NSNA 24-9

YOLT beats SP 20-14

Time for the last juggernaut match, featuring the films where Bond tragically loses the love of his life in both continuities.

Also the introduction of Blofeld in each timeline.

Round 146:

OHMSS vs CR

and

FRWL vs SP

(Last round for SP.)

Also: It is going to be 150 rounds, with three matches in the last one. Sorry about the confusion. I misremembered which round we were on last I commented on it.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    FRWL & OHMSS demolish the competition
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    CR
    FRWL
    OHMSS and FRWL

We are talking Fleming versus Purvis and Wade, a no-brainer really.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Four of my favorite Bond films, but I’ll go with CR & FRWL, without a doubt.
    I see I made a typo above, corrected now.

My verdict: OHMSS and FRWL.
  • OHMSS and FRWL. No hesitation.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    OHMSS (very close) and FRWL (every day of the week)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The first are my numbers 1 & 2-- OHMSS
    FRWL
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    OHMSS over CR, that was tough.

FRWL over SP, that was easy.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,721
    FRWL CR and OHMSS are my top three bond films...in that order. So I'll go with...

CR over OHMSS and FRWL over SP
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    CR, by an RFID chip length

FRWL, by a train length