Comments

• TND over NSNA

GE over TND
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    TND
    GE
  • TND
    GE
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TNDx2 It beats all other Bond movies for me. My number one.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    NSNA
    GE

Recently, revisited TND and was really disappointed with it.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    NSNA (could go either way, but that’s today).
    GE
    peter wrote: »
    NSNA
    TND
    vzok wrote: »
    NSNA
    GE

Tut tut tut to all of you....that film made of hatred indeed......
    Tnd
    Ge
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    TND v NSNA - As i've said before, NSNA is made from greed & spite, and it has no place being counted among Bond films
    GE v TND - GE has it's moments, but TND is a slicker package allround
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    People should be able to vote their conscience without being chided or pressured.

True. But we are talking about a film made by the man who's responsible for Ian Fleming's death. ;-)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TND

and

TND
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 13,894
    No one is being chided or pressured. But if this is somehow different to any other point in this thread. where something from another era, has gone up against the equivalent in the Connery era, and got a thrashing, then I am all ears.

NSNA was made out of greed and spite, Connery and McClory were a match made in hell. I would choose any EON Bond over NSNA. Other fans can like it, that's up to them, I loathe it.
    I don’t feel NSNA was made of hate, greed maybe - but so are many movies. In any case I’m picking my preferred movie, not voting on the background stories to their production.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TND over NSNA, but only just.

TND over GE, by far.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 19,339
    No one is being chided or pressured. But if this is somehow different to any other point in this thread. where something from another era, has gone up against the equivalent in the Connery era, and got a thrashing, then I am all ears.

NSNA was made out of greed and spite, Connery and McClory were a match made in hell. I would choose any EON Bond over NSNA. Other fans can like it, that's up to them, I loathe it.

I’m with the major on this 100%
    That film was made to destabilise OP and show Connery would still bring in more viewers over the great Roger Moore (I have just been voted MI6 biggest Sir Roger fan ) and it failed ,relying on a remake of a fantastic 1965 EON original in TB.
    If they though Connery (and it’s yet another reason I don’t like the man) could remake and outdo one of his own Bond just because he is in it were deluded .
    They were not only taking on OP but TB as well...put those 2 Bond films together as a force and you lose,end of.
    NSNA is not EON and that is why I never include it in my games etc.
    That’s my opinion and why I back @MajorDSmythe .
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    People should be able to vote their conscience without being chided or pressured.

True. But we are talking about a film made by the man who's responsible for Ian Fleming's death. ;-)

But not Eon Filming s death.

That’s not going to happen you wally
    barryt007 wrote: »

That’s not going to happen you wally

Of course not. That would take a lot of smoke and drink and meat.
    Of course the film was made in hate, I don’t think anyone has disputed that.

No reason to view it in hate, though. I like it, and am glad it got made. As do you, I know. Lower echelon, but still more enjoyable than a few EON entries.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,527
    Over the years, it's been revealed exactly how obsessed McClory was with kicking off his own Bond series, with draining all the veins of Fleming's legacy dry so that he could rule the kingdom he somehow felt entitled to. His persistent lawsuits have caused ridiculous delays in the production of certain EON Bond films. But when Connery went dark on Cubby, it became shockingly obvious that NSNA wasn't about art or entertainment, but about disgruntled old men aiming for the last laugh. That OP ended up making more money than NSNA, is nothing if not poetic justice. Roger Moore in a clown suit beat the "remake" of the biggest Bond yet starring the "best" Bond yet at the box office. McClory must have gone from one terrible ulcer to the next.

Even if one separates the art from the artist, or in this case the product from its producer, it's still tough to argue that NSNA can best any EON film in any department. Apart from Connery, whom I will credit for giving something of an enjoyable performance, the overall film is weak and barely above the level of an amateur production. Considering NSNA's disappointing score and failed production design, its paper-thin story and lack of tension and satisfying action, I'd be surprised if any EON Bond film can legitimately be considered weaker than NSNA.

Of course, opinions are what they are. However, if NSNA can be treated of the same level (or better) as at least one EON Bond film, then I fail to see why CR69 cannot be considered a true Bond film either. Granted, the latter is often referred to as a "spoof". But then what is NSNA? An attempt at a hostile take-over? The result of an old man giving another old man the finger? I don't know what's worse, to be honest.

Either way, wrong thread for these sentiments, probably. ;-)
    Not at all, I welcome these discussions. I think I will put NSNA in the next round as well, against two opposites quality wise, for balance. Imo, which may not be emo (everyone s opinion).
  • I'm with @Birdleson, in that it would really suck If general sway of opinion would cause people to vote differently in any of these fun little assessment games.

Also, yeah, I really do not have a lot of love for the film. I don't *hate* it, necessarily, but I'd put it below most/all of the EON entries without hesitation.

These discussions are certainly interesting, though.
    TND

GE
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    I like (but don't love) NSNA. The cringe-worthy crap is outweighed by some good stuff, especially Connery's relaxed performance: the man *IS* James Bond! I rate it in the top half of the class: not as good as the original THUNDERBALL, but better than TOMORROW NEVER DIES.
  • TND & GE
    I like (but don't love) NSNA. The cringe-worthy crap is outweighed by some good stuff, especially Connery's relaxed performance: the man *IS* James Bond! I rate it in the top half of the class: not as good as the original THUNDERBALL, but better than TOMORROW NEVER DIES.

Wow....Better than TND ?!
    Ok
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I really don't like NSNA but I find TND lazy Moore knock off, for some reason the climax seems like SWLM rip off.

Though should it win by default being an official EON film. Though I don't feel NSNA should be the one because it is Sean

Tough call really, TND I guess because McClory is a real life despicable villain of Bond films history and Connery did it out of bitterness. Although I won't be running to watch neither in the near future.

GE without a shadow of doubt, by far Pierce's best entry and the only one of his I really enjoy and that is only due a recent re-appraisal of it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    TND. While NSNA has some merit – due to Connery’s presence – TND is simply the better film.
    GE. Brosnan’s best – and by some margin too.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    TND, on both counts.
    Sorry to derail this thread a little. I have a very good friend who had a relationship with Kevin McClory for a number of years. She maintains that it wasn't so much about derailing the official Bond series, but more to do with his obsession with litigation! Anyway, she states he was an absute gent, so whatever.
    Regarding NSNA, not a brilliant Bond movie (OP wipes the floor with it!) But I would now watch it over any of Brossa efforts. So..
    NSNA
    and
    Well I'll say TND as it's slightly less boring than GE!!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,343
    TND

GE
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    NSNA and GE.