Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TND : TND is fun and mostly good even though it is formulaic. It also has a good villain and some entertaining action. TWINE is boring and silly with shitty action. So that’s an easy choice.

SP: I’m not a fan of SPECTRE, it’s slow, plotless, villain less, dialogue less, and has Scooby gang and brother gate, but, it has got some good action. NSNA on the other hand is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my whole life. Not only does it shit all over bond as a brand but it has awful action and looks poorly made with too much silliness.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TND and SP
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TND vs TWINE

NSNA vs SP

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TND over TWINE My #1 Bond film versus my #2.

SP over NSNA Another very close one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TND over TWINE, but only just.

SP over NSNA with a clear margin.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TND & SP
  • GBFGBF
    TWINE and NSNA
    My one post (probably not,cant help it) of the day today - Birthday fun to enjoy,so :

TWINE and TND are very close in my rankings,mid table,i just prefer the storyline and what they were trying to attempt with TWINE ,rather than a formulaic Bond flick..TWINE gets my vote (and Electra is a brilliant character.)

SP vs NSNA
    NSNA isnt EON ,so its not an official Bond film,it would never get my vote,but SP kicks the shit out of it anyway..SP easily gets my vote.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Short answer:

TWINE over TND
    NSNA over SP

Long and partially OT answer:

I would rank TWINE over TND because I like Bond skiing and I simply love Sophie Marceau :-)

NSNA above SP: I am a huge fan if Craig - but NSNA has Connery and in this movie he is playing the part with so much fun again so he clearly wins. As much as I embrace SP‘s production values, the better M, Moneypenny and Q plus I truly like and love the return of Mr. White ... NSNA has the way better Blofeld and overall plot. The „henchmen/henchwomen“ is a tie for me (on the good side) and another tie in the soundtrack (both are horrible). And if that wouldn‘t be enough: Any other Bondfilm without brothergate and not the terrible „Writings on the wall“ will always win. To me, the whole brothergate thing is the very same bullshit as CR67 has to offer. It is a shame they wasted so much talent in every aspect over this silly and shitty script.

On a sidenote: I did a cut for myself of SP where I re-dubbed the titles with different music and have cut out the whole „Evil Lair“-thing, the whole „MI6-building-collapsing“ stuff and the bridge thing. Bond just leaves after Nine Eyes collapses into the sunset and that‘s it. To me, the movie is watchable this way and highlights the many good things it has to offer.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TWINE was my introduction to the series and it will always be close to my top 10. TND is decent but World beats it nevertheless.

SP is more of a Bond travesty than NSNA will ever be. Despite it being the only non-EON Bond film it is closer to what I consider a good Bond entry than SP. Also, love that impressive cast.
    TND
    SP
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,418
    Used to be I would've chosen TWINE, but TND is so much undemanding fun.

SP beats a hate filled exercise.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    My vote regarding TNDvTWINE assuredly goes to TWINE, because it's more entertaining and complex than its predecessor.

SPECTRE beats NSNA, because it's an official Bond film* and the production value is amazing.

*Why is NSNA included in this tournament in the first place?? At least have the other two non-EON Bond films compete... or just none of them - which is the better option imo.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    My vote regarding TNDvTWINE assuredly goes to TWINE, because it's more entertaining and complex than its predecessor.

SPECTRE beats NSNA, because it's an official Bond film* and the production value is amazing.

*Why is NSNA included in this tournament in the first place??
    At least have the other two non-EON Bond films compete... or just none of them - which is the better option imo.

My thinking exactly...why the hell do we give time to these unofficial pieces of crap..one made full of indulgence,laziness and arrogance,and one made with pure hatred and an attempt to destroy an official Bond film in OP.

This is partly why Connery will never be my #1 ....he seriously bit the hand that fed him (or made him a superstar) several times.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 45,489
    I am including NSNA because it is a Bond film, like any other, just by a different company.

The 67 CR is a parody. The 54 CR a live tv theatre production. They are different beasts.
    I am including NSNA because it is a Bond film, like any other, just by a different company.

The 67 CR is a parody. The 54 CR a live tv theatre production. They are different beasts.

That ,at least ,i can partly agree with...if CR'67 appears in ANYTHING on here then i wont be participating.
    It won t . Now shut up and eat cake.
    It won t . Now shut up and eat cake.

Hahaha yes ,and it was a 007 Birthday cake i got as well !!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My loyalty is the cinematic character and not the film makers. Therefore, I couldn't care less who makes these films (in the past or in the future, which is why I won't have any qualms if there's an eventual sale) as long as they're decent. I find NSNA to be a superior viewing experience to SP and agree with a lot of @SeanCraig's points.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,262
    Round 12:

TND vs TWINE. A choice between a film that basically recycles the Lewis Gilbert formula of YOLT/TSWLM but does it slickly, competently and unpretentiously versus a film that attempts to give the Brosnan era its OHMSS/CR type entry but doesn't have the courage of its convictions and mixes it up with too many elements of the 1971-1985 action comedy style era of Bond. TND wins.

and

NSNA vs SP. I don't hate NSNA but whenever I want to see Sean Connery's Bond in an underwater adventure battling Largo, a femme fatale and SPECTRE over stolen nuclear warheads with a beautiful girl called Domino I'd rather watch it with John Barry music, Terence Young direction, the opening gunbarrel, the James Bond theme and Terence Young's direction aka TB. I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually consider SP neither one of the worst nor one of the best Bond films but an enjoyable enough mid-range entry. SP wins.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    barryt007 wrote: »

*Why is NSNA included in this tournament in the first place??
    At least have the other two non-EON Bond films compete... or just none of them - which is the better option imo.

My thinking exactly...why the hell do we give time to these unofficial pieces of crap..one made full of indulgence,laziness and arrogance,and one made with pure hatred and an attempt to destroy an official Bond film in OP.

This is partly why Connery will never be my #1 ....he seriously bit the hand that fed him (or made him a superstar) several times.

You know what they say about great minds, @barryt007. ;)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2018 Posts: 7,314
    TND is going to take out TWINE, but not by much. In the end, TND's very entertaining first half is what pushes it above its competitor. TWINE has some good ideas and elements that just don't gel together to make a satisfying whole.

NSNA over SP by a whole heck of a lot. Look, perhaps I shouldn't like NSNA because of McClory, but I just can't help myself. I just have too much fun with it. I'd choose to watch it over SP any day.
    TND>TWINE

SP>NSNA

If it would be Thunderball vs Spectre, TB would win this one.
    We did that last round.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    TND

SP...even though it's freefalling in my rankings
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    TND and SP
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    TND

SP...even though it's freefalling in my rankings

Every time I hear that phrase -

As for what to include and not here; bringing in CR 54 and CR 67 would be like including a donkey and a cow in a horse race.

NSNA is more like the pony. It is still a horse.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2018 Posts: 9,117
    TND v TWINE - TND is just a solid middle of the road Bond film that makes no pretentions to do anything other than stick religiously to the Bond film formula but if you're a Bond fan chances are you like the formula so that's not a bad thing. It does nothing brilliantly but it also does everything competently (although the finale on the boat runs out of steam somewhat). TWINE on the other hand, PTS apart, has terrible action and attempts to write dramatic cheques that it's script can't cash.

NSNA v SP - Whilst the cast in NSNA is fantastic pretty much everything else is a cheap and nasty knock off from a pathetic man desperate to squeeze every last penny out of some ill gotten rights to a character he contributed nothing to turn into a global sensation. SP is riddled with faults, several indefensible ones, but still there is a lot of excellent stuff in there. A comfortable win.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    NSNA vs SP: SP At least SP isn't a labour of hatred, a failed masturbatory search for vindication by a man who may in fact have facilitated Ian Fleming's untimely demise. NSNA doesn't even feel like a Bond film. It has its moments, but they are scarce.

Cracking post.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    TND vs TWINE
    NSNA vs SP