Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Indeed quite heartening. I constantly see people here claiming the turgid TB as one of the best of all so, even though it is still going to win, for SP of all films to give it a bloody nose on its way down is quite demeaning for this 'classic'.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TSWLM and TB (Easily)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SP is not without its flaws but those flaws don't include boredom. TB has a lot of goods to offer, but even in '65 it could have been trimmed a little bit. The images are great, so is the score, but the editing lacks in places. I hesitate to use the word boredom though.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Hunt wanted to edit down the underwater stuff, so presented Cubby and Harry with the rough cut, but they told him to put it back in. I suppose they did spent an awful lot of money on the underwater photography.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Thunderball has parts that are amazing and it keeps that classic Connery feel, those are the reasons that it has come up from last place for me. However, it has unforgivable editing, production flaws, as well as a real shit final fight on the boat which sag this film right down. Not to mention the plot with more holes than story. It’s right there with spectre for me, slightly better if only because it’s in the 60’s.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm a bit surprised that some prefer SP to TB. Sure the earlier film has pacing issues, but it has so much more going for it which elevates it to top tier status imho, not least the wonderful performances and dialogue. The holiday setting and dreamy Barry score alone put it above the latest offering, which continues to decline in my rankings by the year. Shortly I'm quite certain it will overtake TWINE at the bottom of the pile at the rate it's descending.
    Look, TB was one of the first Bond films I ever saw as a child. I was a very young boy, and this film, along with DN, convinced me that this James Bond dude would forever be my "hero". Absolutely loved the film. I must have seen it about 40 times by now, the previous time just a mere few days ago. I still enjoy it. It's a good film for sure. But I seem to be enjoying SP more and more with every next viewing. I can't explain it. My mind says no, but there's something that pulls me back in time and again.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 9,117
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised that some prefer SP to TB. Sure the earlier film has pacing issues, but it has so much more going for it which elevates it to top tier status imho, not least the wonderful performances and dialogue. The holiday setting and dreamy Barry score alone put it above the latest offering, which continues to decline in my rankings by the year. Shortly I'm quite certain it will overtake TWINE at the bottom of the pile at the rate it's descending.

This says it all. Bond spends most of his time flouncing around the beach when the world is under nuclear threat.

Even the last act has barely 10% of the OP countdown when it should be tension packed.

Where's the suspense?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883

This says it all. Bond spends most of his time flouncing around the beach when the world is under nuclear threat.

Even the last act has barely 10% of the OP countdown when it should be tension packed.

Where's the suspense?
    It's a fair point. The pace and approach is certainly leisurely and that is a valid criticism. Nevertheless, it's arguably par for the course for that era. Even YOLT is a bit unhurried given there's a potential for nuclear confrontation. These days everything is dialed up far more (perhaps more than the threat demands).

Where's the suspense?
    It's a fair point. The pace and approach is certainly leisurely and that is a valid criticism. Nevertheless, it's arguably par for the course for that era. Even YOLT is a bit unhurried given there's a potential for nuclear confrontation. These days everything is dialed up far more (perhaps more than the threat demands).

Not sure I'd agree entirely that it's symptomatic of the era.

First act of YOLT I would agree but once Bond strips off his gear and says 'Tell Tanaka to get back here with every man he's got' it never lets up.

GF has the lull on the farm but cranks it back up for the finale.

FRWL you can cut the atmosphere with a knife on the train.

The trouble between those and TB as they do turn it on in the final act whereas even with the much vaunted underwater battle TB never really does.

Where's the suspense?

First act of YOLT I would agree but once Bond strips off his gear and says 'Tell Tanaka to get back here with every man he's got' it never lets up.

The trouble between those and TB as they do turn it on in the final act whereas even with the much vaunted underwater battle TB never really does.
    I agree that the finale, while perhaps groundbreaking at the time (at least in terms of underwater photography) is not the film's strong suit. I pretty much tune out during much of it. Furthermore, perhaps the world's first instance of shaky cam (during the laughable fight on the Disco Volante) is a bit disorienting as well. GF & YOLT certainly have more engaging last acts, even if we have to endure Bond goofing around in the earlier film (although he succeeded in the worthy pursuit of turning Pussy, so it was not for nothing).

Having said that, I'll still take the TB finale over the banal and sleep inducing exploits of Bond in London in SP. I'll give you the pant wetting budget busting Guinness Book explosion which preceded it but even then, I'd argue TB's more subdued beach scene with Domino or the discovery of Angelo underwater are more iconic and superior imho.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

Where's the suspense?

I agree that the finale, while perhaps groundbreaking at the time (at least in terms of underwater photography) is not the film's strong suit. I pretty much tune out during much of it. Furthermore, perhaps the world's first instance of shaky cam (during the laughable fight on the Disco Volante) is a bit disorienting as well. GF & YOLT certainly have more engaging last acts, even if we have to endure Bond goofing around in the earlier film (although he succeeded in the worthy pursuit of turning Pussy, so it was not for nothing).

Having said that, I'll still take the TB finale over the banal and sleep inducing exploits of Bond in London in SP. I'll give you the pant wetting budget busting Guinness Book explosion which preceded it but even then, I'd argue TB's more subdued beach scene with Domino or the discovery of Angelo underwater are more iconic and superior imho.

Indeed. I rather like TB's final underwater battle between U.S. Navy frogmen and SPECTRE frogmen. I see it as a precursor to the battle between Colonel Scott's space marines and Drax's astronauts in MR. I know many fans dislike both the 1965 and 1979 films and their final battle sequences but I enjoy both of them immensely as the larger-than-life spectacles they were and still are.

Where's the suspense?

Indeed. I rather like TB's final underwater battle between U.S. Navy frogmen and SPECTRE frogmen. I see it as a precursor to the battle between Colonel Scott's space marines and Drax's astronauts in MR. I know many fans dislike both the 1965 and 1979 films and their final battle sequences but I enjoy both of them immensely as the larger-than-life spectacles they were and still are.
    We haven't had a good old fashioned battle royale like that between good and bad for some time in a Bond film. We're long overdue, I'd say. That would be a perfect time to bring back the 007 theme as well.

Where's the suspense?

We haven't had a good old fashioned battle royale like that between good and bad for some time in a Bond film. We're long overdue, I'd say. That would be a perfect time to bring back the 007 theme as well.

SP was all set up for it.

Bond on his own in SPECTRE's lair being tortured and the 00 'Program' shut down and things looking bleak. But instead of the limp Scooby gang finale in London we cut to a Churchillian speech from Fiennes' SAS trained M as he leads the other 00s (cameos from Idris Elba, Damien Lewis, Gilian Anderson etc) out the back of a Hercules for an airborne assault on the base.

Massive YOLT style battle and the Nine Eyes computer is blown up in the nick of time but Blofeld escapes.

Actually there's something that's just struck me about the whole Nine Eyes thing going live in London - Bond has already blown up the SPECTRE monitoring base so even if Nine Eyes does go live SPECTRE's infrastructure to hack it has already been destroyed.

Just another shoddy bit of writing to stick on the tab I suppose.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Where's the suspense?

Bond on his own in SPECTRE's lair being tortured and the 00 'Program' shut down and things looking bleak. But instead of the limp Scooby gang finale in London we cut to a Churchillian speech from Fiennes' SAS trained M as he leads the other 00s (cameos from Idris Elba, Damien Lewis, Gilian Anderson etc) out the back of a Hercules for an airborne assault on the base.

Massive YOLT style battle and the Nine Eyes computer is blown up in the nick of time but Blofeld escapes.
    Yes, please.
    Actually there's something that's just struck me about the whole Nine Eyes thing going live in London - Bond has already blown up the SPECTRE monitoring base so even if Nine Eyes does go live SPECTRE's infrastructure to hack it has already been destroyed.
    Not unlike OHMSS.

I think someone important demanded that London ending. Unlike most everyone, I enjoy it, but even I must acknowledge the alternative --YOLT-style assault-- was much better.

Where's the suspense?

Now that's an idea I could have gotten behind. I suppose they figured having Q disarm it by pressing a button on his keyboard back in London would play better with the millennials. Either that or they really did blow the budget with the Mexico PTS extras and Mendes' vaunted base explosion.

Come to think of it, I don't think we've seen one of these large scale battles since MR (since then it's always been a small group of saviours led by Bond against the baddies). That film really was the end of an era in many ways, as I've noted previously (Lee, Bassey, OO7 theme, Adam etc.)
    I'm not sure if the Moroccan base was the only such facility. I can't remember if that was clarified or not, which may explain the need to head back to London and take it out at the source.
    I'm not sure if the Moroccan base was the only such facility. I can't remember if that was clarified or not, which may explain the need to head back to London and take it out at the source.

This is the SP script we're talking about so of course it wasn't clarified which gives them the get out that SPECTRE have hundreds of such facilities dotted around the globe so Q shutting it down was essential.

Just another example of writing sloppier than a french kiss from David Mellor.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We had one of those battles in OP. It was cringeworthy.

Q got off with a few birds,so it wasn't all bad.

Just another example of writing sloppier than a french kiss from David Mellor.
    A truly frightening & sloppy prospect, best not contemplated on a full stomach.
    I'm not so sure. Wasn't that just Bond and Q in a balloon full of hot air assisted by a bunch of circus babes? I meant a full scale assault with a group of government operatives including Bond.
    I see.
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    I enjoy a good bit of TND but give it to TSWLM which is one of the big classics. TB wins handily over SP, Craig's run for me, particularly SP,, is a like limp, wet noodle. Embarrassing writing, they completely blew Blofeld's return. The wasted potential is astounding..
    The wasted potential is astounding..

That should've been the tagline on the poster.
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    or "This movie will be the architect of your pain" hmm?
    TSWLM beats TND 20-4

TB beats SP 19-5

Round 12:

TND vs TWINE

and

NSNA vs SP
    TND vs TWINE: This a difficult choice for me as I see both entries as abysmal. One is a blatant rehash of better classic films, but done worse and the other is the debut of P&W's now ubiquitous and rather tiresome melodrama. In both cases, execution and casting leave a lot to be desired. TND provides light entertainment despite its faults and has some desirable elements (PTS, media megalomaniac plot, Kaufmann, decent action etc.) and so it has to get the win. TWINE can't even manage that.

NSNA vs SP:
    This isn't difficult at all for me. Max Van Sydow, Barbara Carrera, Klaus Maria Brandauer and Kim Basinger are all very entertaining and a treat to watch. Sean Connery steps back into his signature role with ease, and gave Moore a run for his money in 1983. NSNA is a film that continues to improve in my rankings every time I view it, unlike the latest entry. It's very much of its time, but retains the larger than life Bond style of old, despite not having the usual regulars. NSNA for the win.
    TND vs TWINE: TND At least the well-staged action keeps it from being boring.

NSNA vs SP: SP At least SP isn't a labour of hatred, a failed masturbatory search for vindication by a man who may in fact have facilitated Ian Fleming's untimely demise. NSNA doesn't even feel like a Bond film. It has its moments, but they are scarce.
    TND over TWINE - I don’t hate TWINE, but it definitely is one of the weaker entries, thanks mainly to some really dull sections and Christmas Jones. TND has a weak third act too, but the stuff before is mostly better. The only things about TWINE I really prefer are title song, Elektra, and Valentin. TND has the better action, Bond performance, and just flows way better. It has less glaring flaws.

SP over NSNA - SP has become one of my least favorite entries, but I personally prefer every EON Bond film over NSNA, with the possible exception of DAD. This round didn’t feature any personal favorites of mine.
    TND and SP
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    TND and SP

I enjoy NSNA though it's not official so disqualified in my mind.