Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    YOLT is one of the few Bond films that I get tired of watching part of the way through. That's the greatest sin a movie can commit. DAD is entertaining, albeit cringey in places. An easy choice for me.
    DAF over MR - Both of these are in my bottom 3, but DAF is slightly higher. The first half of DAF is the strongest part of both films overall.

YOLT over DAD - DAD is the other film in my bottom 3, while YOLT has a decent #14 spot in my ranking. Easy decision here - YOLT wins.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2017 Posts: 6,758
    The first one is a difficult choice. But Diamonds is slihgtly more entertaining in my book. People tend to dislike Hamilton’s 70’s contributions but I quite like how absurd they are.

MR is absurd too, but it goes way too far and it also gets a bit boring at times. Only the special effects and the Bond girl are better, the rest is so far away from what Bond should be, this round goes to DAF.

The second duel is somewhat easier. Maybe Connery’s least impressive entry from the 60’s but Sean in the 60’s still beats most of what came afterwards.

Still though, I’m always astonished by DAD detractors who defend MR. DAD is a 21st Century MR. A film built around outrageous setpieces. Sure MR has better effects, but it really drags sometimes too.

Anyway, comfortable win for Sean on both ocassions here.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    @GoldenGun - How'd you go from saying that DAF vs MR was a "difficult choice" to a "comfortable win for Sean"?

For me, MR had much better chemistry between the main cast, and the villain and Bond girl were infinitely better than those in DAD. The same goes for the score, the theme song, supporting characters, even the sets. I don't think the two are comparable at all. MR's outrageously over-the-top, but for the most part it's done right (I know there's a couple of cringy moments, but it's also genuinely funny in a lot of other areas and always entertaining; I'm not bored at any point, really). Whereas DAD is a farce.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    MR & YOLT
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    MR easily. It is a somewhat silly, but spectacular globetrotter. DAF is a cheap looking, tawdry bore fest. Even Connery barely turns up. In my personal bottom 3.

YOLT. Again fairly easily. I don't hate DAD as much as most, but it has nothing on the former. A truly exotic locale, world war inducing plot. The first reveal of Blofeld, plus one of cinema's all time great score's.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Is that the first vote for DAD?

No, it got the very first as well, from Andi.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    DAF just about beats MR for me, I actually think Connery's performance is still pretty good despite his appearance. They were both childhood favourites of mine but DAF has a bit more style and wit that makes it more watchable whereas MR tends to drag for me when I revisit too often.

YOLT easily defeats DAD though, just too many of the classic Bond collaborators doing great work, even if its the weakest of the 60s films.
    MR and YOLT.
    @GoldenGun - How'd you go from saying that DAF vs MR was a "difficult choice" to a "comfortable win for Sean"?

For me, MR had much better chemistry between the main cast, and the villain and Bond girl were infinitely better than those in DAD. The same goes for the score, the theme song, supporting characters, even the sets. I don't think the two are comparable at all. MR's outrageously over-the-top, but for the most part it's done right (I know there's a couple of cringy moments, but it's also genuinely funny in a lot of other areas and always entertaining; I'm not bored at any point, really). Whereas DAD is a farce.

Given YOLT vs DAD was the last thing I was writing about I must have been giving too much credit for Sean's first win.

Anyway, I still like DAF a tad better than MR. Mr Wint and Mr Kidd are more amusing than any of the MR characters, although Drax is pretty fun too.

I will admit Chiles is better than St. John and the sets and effects are also handled better in MR.

But the score, the theme song and the dialogue go to DAF in my book. MR also goes much further into self-parody territory than DAF. Even though the circus scene is pretty crass, nothing in DAF compares to this:

http://lewtonbus.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/JawsRaker.jpg
    The effects were much better. Just look at the laser effects.

I can concede on the theme song. Not on the score, though — I think MR has probably the best of all Bond scores! As for dialogue, DAF has some sharp, witty moments but maybe it's the fairly unenthusiastic delivery of them there or the more consistent repartee of wit between Bond and Drax in MR that makes me find latter's dialogue superior.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I am coming closer to that line of thinking with each viewing.

Yep. Flight Into Space, Bond Lured Into Pyramids, Miss Goodhead Meets Bond (don't think I've ever seen a title theme worked into such a wondrous instrumental), etc. are all out of this world. Even Space Laser Battle is incredible and adds depth and intensity to the otherwise farcical fight.

There is just so much atmosphere in MR, which contributes greatly to how much I like it.
  • DAF vs. MR
    DAF is a very lackluster production, from the acting to the cinematography to the special effects. Moonraker benefits heavily from Gilbert's polished direction, an interesting villain in Drax, and some great special effects.

YOLT vs. DAD
    You Only Live Twice is the perfect send-up to the 60's Connery Bond era. Over the top but the previous four films were building up to an epic conclusion that Twice for the most part delivers. Die Another Day doesn't benefit from having the greatest set in the entire series.
    DAF & DAD.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    As I said in my earlier post on this topic, MR is probably the visual pinnacle of the series (in terms of set design and sheer ambition). The scale is just immense and it's executed with a flair and tone which is bang on the money given the epic out of this world nature of the project. I think it all works beautifully, as long as one views it as a one off Bond spectacle of the highest order, which I do. It's a polar opposite to something like FRWL or DN, which are as scaled back and toned down as can be. It's fitting that many of the old guard like Adam, Lee & Bassey ended their phenomenal runs with this mammoth venture.
    bondjames wrote: »
    As I said in my earlier post on this topic, MR is probably the visual pinnacle of the series (in terms of set design and sheer ambition). The scale is just immense and it's executed with a flair and tone which is bang on the money given the epic out of this world nature of the project. I think it all works beautifully, as long as one views it as a one off Bond spectacle of the highest order, which I do. It's a polar opposite to something like FRWL or DN, which are as scaled back and toned down as can be. It's fitting that many of the old guard like Adam, Lee & Bassey ended their phenomenal runs with this mammoth venture.

Agreed. With FRWL, though, you can tell they had double the DN budget. But DN is very spartan; I would agree the antithesis of MR.
    MR and YOLT
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 684
    MR vs. DAF - Ultimately a bittersweet call, as I do like DAF for what it is. But MR is the better achievement. Moore at his peak, Tournier's dazzling dream-like cinematography (notably the scene with the dogs chasing Corinne through the forest), Glen's editing which made even the gondola bilge presentable), Barry's best score, and of course Ken Adam's opening the taps up to eleventy.

YOLT vs. DAD - Easily YOLT. A top tier Bond film for me. The story is pap, and Pleasance is ill-suited for Blofeld, but everything else makes up for it just fine. Dare I say it's the best looking and most stylish of the 60s films, as well. It's really the mien of YOLT that pulls me in, the certain look of it that speaks to the grander mood of the thing. Seeing Bond walk around Tokyo in '67 is simply splendid.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Only the special effects and the Bond girl are better

Seriously?

Chiles dull one note performance v Jill's sass and 'lot's of cheek'?

Goodhead would be missionary only and make you turn the lights off, Tiffany would give you a whale of a time.
    Quite liked Chiles, rather cute I think.

St. John really foul-mouthed. Not my type.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I was never into redheads so I'll take Goodhead any day.

Jeeze, such lines come off really bad, don't they? :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I like smart ones so Goodhead gets my vote. As I noted earlier, kudos to Case for the bikini display though.
    I don't care for Goodhead or Case much at all.
    They're both bad in different ways. Goodhead is plain boring and forgettable with the added smirk of pretending to be an intelligent Bond's equal, although she is clearly not. Tiffany is a tour de force of sassy, vulgar, cheap and brash behavior which leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I even think they rank quite low on the looks level compared with other Bond girls. Someone like Lupe or Goodnight at least stood out on that front.
    MR beats DAF 22-8

YOLT beats DAD 27-3

Landslide for the Gilbert films. Over to Round 2.

LALD vs TMWTGG

and

DAD vs SF
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,242
    Both of these are easy for me.

LALD over TMWTGG. The only thing TMWTGG might have over LALD is a better Bond villain, but even then Kananga is a very good villain. Moore is good in both but better in LALD. LALD is far more memorable and legitimately humorous than TMWTGG. LALD is just barely outside my Top 10, while TMWTGG is stuck in my bottom 5.

SF over DAD. DAD is nearly at the bottom of the pile on my list, and SF is #4 on my list right now. Total blowout; not one thing I really prefer about DAD over SF. One of Craig's best against Brosnan's worst.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Both of these are easy for me.

LALD over TMWTGG. The only thing TMWTGG might have over LALD is a better Bond villain, but even then Kananga is a very good villain. Moore is good in both but better in LALD. LALD is far more memorable and legitimately humorous than TMWTGG. LALD is just barely outside my Top 10, while TMWTGG is stuck in my bottom 5.

SF over DAD. DAD is nearly at the bottom of the pile on my list, and SF is #4 on my list right now. Total blowout; not one thing I really prefer about DAD over SF. One of Craig's best against Brosnan's worst.

My vote as well.
    Everyone knows I’m one of the few TMWTGG fans. I like the atmosphere, Scaramanga, the girls, the sets, the score and the absurd nature of this film.

The other match is, even for a staunch Pierce defender like myself, no contest. Give me Broz’s first three pictures over any of these two but for now SF wins.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    LALD > TMWTGG

LALD - one of the first 5 or so Bond films I ever saw. I've never thought less of it, always held it in high regard. A real treat, love the voodoo themes. The only thing naff here is Jay Dubya.. and then, he's not that bad but gets a bit too much screen time IMO.

TMWTGG - some great stuff happening here - Scaramanga and his dinner with Bond, island lair, Bond waiting across from the Bottoms Up, checking his Rolex with stogie between teeth. Like SF, the Macau scenes are one of the highlights of the film, but there's also a lot of naff stuff which should've been cut: slide whistle, ballet school etc.

SF > DAD

SF - I really love the middle of SF - the Shanghai-Macau-London scenes, as well as Silva's entrance and speech - except for him referring to 'those fools in Q-Branch' - which I took as a personal swipe. Still, a great Bond film and different in tone to everything that came before.

DAD - like the last round with SP, I still find DAD slightly more entertaining than SF, but we know which is the better made film, and SF manages not to force every homage imaginable into it for the big Five-Oh.
    QBranch wrote: »
    SF - I really love the middle of SF - the Shanghai-Macau-London scenes, as well as Silva's entrance and speech - except for him referring to 'those fools in Q-Branch' - which I took as a personal swipe.

Ha ha !