Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QBranch wrote: »
    SF - I really love the middle of SF - the Shanghai-Macau-London scenes, as well as Silva's entrance and speech - except for him referring to 'those fools in Q-Branch' - which I took as a personal swipe.
    Ha ha !
    We're much cleverer than we look - so not very clever at all then, I guess :(
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,243
    Not such a clever boy...

Real SF fans will get that joke.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    LALD takes down TMWTGG, which is kind of just a worse version. Only the villain and climax are better in TMWTGG.

SF vs DAD couldn't have been more lopsided. SF takes it home in every category.
    LALD & SF......
    Another easy one.

LALD and SF
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I'd have to go with LALD, when it's against something as unsteady as TMWTGG.

SF over DAD.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    LALD vs TMWTGG

DAD vs SF

Gotta say DAD v SF had to have more thought than I would imagine.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    LALD vs TMWTGG - LALD by a hair. I love them both immensely, although objectively his first effort is superior. Atmosphere, visuals and quirkiness go to TMWTGG however, and I really do enjoy Barry's score (although I love Martin's as well). I also am a fan of the 'Carry On' style raunch humour elements sprinkled throughout, which were surely intentional. Most importantly however, I really like the kung fu encounter (all of it, including Hip's betrayal, his nieces, and the famous 'bow kick' which I believe was a precursor to Indy's shoot first sequence in Raiders).

SF vs DAD - SF. I didn't have to think about this one. Both anniversary films, but one is a classic while the other is a shambles. Probably one of the easiest choices I've had to make on this site and really doesn't require justification imho.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    LALD > TMWTGG

Tempted to be the first to go for TMWTGG as it has possibly my favourite villain in the series, but LALD is a more well rounded adventure, with a pretty great line up of villains and henchman in itself.

SF > DAD

Why?

You know the answer to that. You know the whole story.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    NSGW wrote: »
    LALD > TMWTGG

Tempted to be the first to go for TMWTGG as it has possibly my favourite villain in the series, but LALD is a more well rounded adventure, with a pretty great line up of villains and henchman in itself.

I would have beat you to it anyway. And for the same reason as well ;)
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited November 2017 Posts: 299
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    NSGW wrote: »
    LALD > TMWTGG

I would have beat you to it anyway. And for the same reason as well ;)

Oh yeah you did, great to see at least someone sticking up for it, I think I'm already regretting my vote :(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Round 2

LALD vs TMWTGG: LALD

Jane Seymour heals all the wounds, including Rosie, JW and the Tarot card thing. Plus, the stupid Beirut scene and Barry's whistle are unforgivable.

DAD vs SF: SF

DAD can be enjoyable but in terms of pure quality, SF beats it every time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Live and Let Die beats The man with the golden gun for sure, as it is much more entertaining. Now for skyfall and DAD, I actually put them in the same boat so I had to look back at my personal Rankings and it turns out I have DAD just one spot above skyfall, so there you go, DAD beats skyfall
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    TMWTGG is my pick over LALD. That's pretty easy for me to decide as I found Scaramanga to be one of the best villain I've seen in a Bond film.

The other match is a challenge. I remember DAD well and I had so much fun watching it from start to finish.
    Skyfall is so different and if it's only for picking the one I was more entertained with then it's DAD, even if I was thinking watching Skyfall, that it is one of the few unique special Bond films.

My pick. DAD, because that's a film I will watch again a lot of times for sure.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TMWTGG beats LALD. Actually a tough choice, but neither of these films are very high in my rankings.

DAD beats SF. Corny entertainment beats artistic boredom every time.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Round Two:

LALD beats Golden Gun

Although the two leads in GG are class acts, the rest of the film struggles to match it. Whilst LALD - sans Pepper - is a pretty good picture.

SF beats DAD

A film that subverts many of the Bondian tropes, yet still feels classic Bond, versus DAD, a film made for teenagers. (By teenagers it seems)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    royale65 wrote: »
    DAD, a film made for teenagers. (By teenagers it seems)
    Youth is no guarantee of innovation.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    LALD (my favourite Roger film) and SF
  • GBFGBF
    LALD >TMWGg

SF > DAD
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    LALD over TMWTGG - I have a newfound appreciation for Gun. It used to be near the bottom of my rankings, but jumped up a few spots due to my reassessment. That being said, it can't hold a candle to LALD, which I have loved since I first saw it as a kid.

SF over DAD - This really is no contest, even though I may not enjoy SF quite as much as I used to.

They still have spots.

barryt007 wrote: »

They still have spots.

What sharp little eyes you've got
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    LALD
    DAD
    LALD and SF

I really like TMWTGG though, and the other one is no contest.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LALD and SF

I really like TMWTGG though, and the other one is no contest.

Same here.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    LALD>TMWTGG
    DAD>SF.
    Both right next to each other in my ranking. I'm just more entertained by DAD and it's score is light years ahead of SF. I really like SF though.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    LALD and SF. Not even close.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TMWTGG

DAD
    LALD v TMWTGG: I've placed LALD above its sequel, but there's certainly a lot of things in the second Moore that I feel were done better than its predecessor. I also liked the M & Bond scene on the sunken Queen Elizabeth in Hong Kong's Victoria Harbour over their shared screen-time in LALD. Moore also feels more like Bond in TMWTGG than he does in LALD.
    SF v DAD: I'm not a great fan of either, but SF is vastly superior to absolutely anything in DAD, so by natural default wins the contest.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The one thing DAD may have over SF is the main title sequence . In the worst film of all, that is still one of the best. I still love the one for SF as well.