Bond film ranking tournament. OHMSS vs TSWLM and FYEO vs DAD

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is a more difficult decision for me than for most.

FRWL is my #1 ranked film (a position it has held for more than a decade). However, both the Hamilton entries are just so much fun. Unlike many members here, I have a real soft spot for all three of his consecutive early 70's efforts. They are charismatic and idiosyncratic films with a nice combination of insouciance and tension. Sure, they are a bit cheap and gaudy in places, but that's part of the charm as far as I'm concerned.

So FRWL wins both rounds here, but my heart bleeds.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Station B, Belgium
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,628
    I love TMWTGG but FRWL is an espionage masterpiece. In the end FRWL takes it home without a doubt.

DAF is ok and FRWL beats that one with even more ease.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya “We are thrilled to delay B25”
    FRWL and FRWL
    FRWL destroys both.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    @bondjames
    Glad to read your comment.
    I'm almost a bit gutted that DAF and TMWTGG seem not to be general favorites here.
    I chose both over FRWL. See my comments on the last page.
    But then what do I know ;) I've only seen the films once and am currently on my second Bondathon.
    @Andi1996Ruegg I just read it. Great points and I agree wholeheartedly with your defense of TMWTGG/DAF (two films that often get a drubbing here). One has to be in a certain frame of mind to excuse some of the quirks and take in all the great stuff that Hamilton brings to these two films. So much character and zaniness.

I don't disagree with your comments on FRWL either. It's not for everyone. The pacing is a bit slow and it's more of a suspense thriller. A film which predates the film formula that began in earnest with GF. You're right about the Hitchcock aspects too. When I first saw this film as a kid I thought it was quite boring too. It was only within the last 15 years or so that I began to appreciate it for the classic that it is. All I can ask is that you give it time and revisit from time to time. It's a grower, precisely because it is so unique. It's also very atmospheric and has an underlying romantic (not just guy/gal but also overall flavour) flair to it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 26,917
    I may not have stayed in love with the franchise all of those years if I wasn't completely invested in DAF and TMWTGG when they came out when I was a young lad. I may have chose FRWL, but I certainly can see where you're coming from.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Station B, Belgium
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,628
    @bondjames and @Andi1996Ruegg You're not alone guys, I have been a staunch TMWTGG defender ever since the beginning of my Bond years. Hence my username ;)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This one is tough.

FRWL over DAF

TMWTGG over FRWL
    @GoldenGun, yes I know and I've always appreciated your positive comments on the film. One of my personal faves.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    FRWL beats DAF and TMWTGG hands down.
    Love TMWTGG, very fun film with a great villian.
    DAF not so much, it lacks good action and a good villian and much more.
    FRWL however is top tier Bond, and therefor wins both easy.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    FRWL is my favourite Bond film - so easily wins over the two weakest entries of Connery and Moore respectively.

Even though I have a greater affinity with MWTGG now after visiting Scaramanaga's island this year.
  • FRWL, FRWL
    I will say I prefer TMWTGG to DAF, but both are bottom-tier Bond films in my ranking.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I will say I prefer TMWTGG to DAF, but both are bottom-tier Bond films in my ranking.

yeah, DAF is rock bottom and I dont think TMWTGG is much higher for me
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 684
    I think I rate FRWL lower than most of the crowd here, and DAF somewhat higher, but both these matches still go to FRWL for me.

@Andi1996Ruegg I envy your having only seen them once. It instantly makes your judgement valuable in such a different way to any of us who have seen them so many times we know them all too well (or think we do).
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    That is very true. Which is why I try to give weight to my childhood first viewing experiences when ranking the films.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I'll take FRWL over both this round. DAF has risen slightly in more recent years and TMWTGG stays consistently in the latter half of my rankings.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Round 6:

FRWL vs DAF

and

FRWL vs TMWTGG
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    FoxRox wrote: »

I've got TWMTGG above DAF by just one spot, but they're in the same tier (at the bottom), indeed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Walking the Planck length.
    Biggest win yet, but also fewer voters.

FRWL beats DAF 21-1

FRWL beats TMWTGG 20-2

Round 7:

Sticking with FRWL during the Christmas holiday

FRWL vs GE

and

FRWL vs QOS
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FRWL vs GE: GE
    It was a pretty tough choice this, but GE happens to be one of my most revered Bond films.

and

FRWL vs QOS: FRWL
    I have come to appreciate QOS very much over the years but it's no FRWL.
    FRWL and FRWL
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    FRWL vs GoldenEye
    From Russia With Love vs QOS
    FRWL and FRWL

I am with the smart kid.
    FRWL wins both
  • GBFGBF
    Why always FRWL?

Results will be pretty clear :-)

Even though I really like GE, FRWL wins both matches....
    FRWL vs GE - FRWL, but as in the prior round, I must voice my appreciation for Brosnan's debut outing, which is in my view one of the top 2 or 3 Bond films of the past 40 years. A real statement of intent of Bond's return and relevance in a post-cold war era.

FRWL vs QoS - FRWL and this one doesn't need much explanation from me. It's pretty clear.
    It isn t always FRWL,it has been involved in five out of fourteen matches so far- and clear results or not, people still get to cast their votes. I understand some want all the most interesting matches done right away, but that isn t happening. I am mixing it up, and sprinkling them throughout. Any match you wish to see will come up sooner or later.

Next round I am introducing a couple of new ones, and pit them against each other. It should be a fairly interesting one.