Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Wanted to change my vote to TSWLM in the game against FYEO but Spy didn't need it.

Anyway, next ones are easier.

DN and TB with no fuss or bother.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    DN over DAF.

As much as I love OP, I'm going to go with Thunderball because it's a damn classic and showcases Connery at his best. Can't beat that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DN vs DAF: DN
    I love DAF like I love that strange, drunk friend who always makes my laugh.
    I love DN like I love the mother of my future children.

and

TB vs OP : TB
    Narrow margin, this. OP is a delight, but with TB, the nostalgia factor seeps in.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,332
    DN over DAF . DAF has been rising through my ranks and is really rewatchable, but so is DN and it just ticks more boxes than DAF.

TB (9) over OP (12) by a slim margin. This is part of my rankings list that can flip flop from viewing to viewing. Both are fun romps with great action - OP being a little more humorous and TB being a little more grand in spectacle. TB always has great memories because it reminds me of my honeymoon and how we went to a few of the more remote shooting locations one of our days in the Bahamas.
    DN over DAF.

and

TB over OP.

Love all four, truly, but...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Very of few of the other films can withstand any of Connery's first four (can only think of four that would even be in the running in my mind).
    ...definitely is the case.

P.S. What are your other-four-in-the-running?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Strog wrote: »
    DN over DAF.

and

TB over OP.

Love all four, truly, but...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Very of few of the other films can withstand any of Connery's first four (can only think of four that would even be in the running in my mind).
    ...definitely is the case.

P.S. What are your other-four-in-the-running?
    OHMSS, LALD,TSWLM and CR.
    OHMSS, LALD,TSWLM and CR.
    That's what I was thinking.

Personally I'd leave TSWLM and gently bump LALD in favor of YOLT. Popularly, OHMSS and CR are pretty much a lock; I can see one of the others being replaced by GE perhaps and/or one of TLD, LTK, or SF.
    DN beats DAF 20-3

TB beats OP 15-8

ROUND 10:

TB vs OHMSS

and

GF vs MR
    OHMSS and GF.

And basta as Draco would say.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Glad to see OP put up a semi decent fight against TB.

Round 10

Despite my love of TB (currently 9th) OHMSS is for me the better film
    OHMSS beats TB.
    MR is for the most part an epic film. It just has too many silly and unnecessary parts to it. A tweak here and there and it could be a top 10 instalment (currently 18th) GF on the other hand is top 10 material, and therefore wins the match.
    GF beats MR.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    OHMSS and GF.

And basta as Draco would say.

Absolutely. My top two.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    OHMSS and GF

OHMSS handily beats TB. I have a soft spot for MR which has some fantastic sequences, a wonderful score, a good lead actor performance, cracking one-liners, and a droll villain engaging in entertaining banter with 007 but GF has all that doubled.
    OHMSS beats TB but only just.

GF beats MR.
    Neither of these 2 are my favourites and are low in my rankings.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    OHMSS beats TB

and

GF beats MR
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Thunderball narrowly beats OHMSS. Goldfinger beats Moonraker by a wide margin.
  • GBFGBF
    OHMSS beats TB

and

GF beats MR
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    OHMSS and GF

OHMSS handily beats TB. I have a soft spot for MR which has some fantastic sequences, a wonderful score, a good lead actor performance, cracking one-liners, and a droll villain engaging in entertaining banter with 007 but GF has all that doubled.

What he said.

Difficult to think of where TB beats OHMSS in any category (Fiona beats Bunt I suppose as main henchman) including Bond actor - no doubt plenty will disagree but Connery whilst still very, very decent had already peaked and there are scenes where he is just going through the motions and playing himself.

MR is tremendous fun but at the end of the day everything it does GF already set the template for and did it better anyway.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Giving it to TB and GF.
    The one thing TB has over OHMSS is the title sequence. They are both good, though.
    TB is fairly decent of course, but can't hold a candle to the greatness of OHMSS.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    TB vs OHMSS - TB although it's close. Sacrilege to some perhaps given OHMSS's lauded status around these parts, but TB is my #2 film for a few reasons, primarily the witty dialogue, clasy style and most notably the brilliance of Mr. Sean Connery. These are the main reasons I'm drawn to Bond films by the way so I guess I'm no purist. He does everything with such style and panache in TB that I think it's one of the coolest performances ever put on film. Additionally, the memorable foursome of Domino, Fiona, Paula and Patricia trump Bunt (who doesn't?), the Angels and Tracy. I actually also prefer Largo to Savalas' Blofeld. The score for both films are Barry's best imho and I really can't choose between the two.

GF vs MR - GF, but again it's close. I've never been a fan of Connery's third outing although I recognize and respect its important iconic place in the Bond pantheon. That's the main reason I give it the win. It created a template from which many elements have been plagiarized in future Bond films (and done better imho). However, from a pure entertainment point of view, I personally will take MR any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The most visually ambitious Bond film with the most outlandish plot delivered with pure scale and style. Like I said, I'm no purist.
    OHMSS and GF
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    OHMSS
    And
    GOLDFINGER
    OHMSS over TB. Two of the best Bond films, but OHMSS takes it. It’s just too good.

GF over MR. Not close; opposite ends of the spectrum on my ranking.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm afraid it's not much of a contest in this round. Both OHMSS and GF are clearly the superior product in their respective match-ups. There's a lot to like in both TB and MR though.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    GF and TB are my personal #1 and #2 and never changed order ... so GF over MR and TB over OHMSS (even I started to really appreciate this film in recent years and growing every year)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    OHMSS
    Obviously.

MR
    It's no less silly than GF, really, and is just constantly entertaining. GF obviously has a good half-dozen totally classic moments, but what comes between them, in my view, is just not as fun as what MR has on offer. I also think GF looks slightly cheaper in a lot of places than the two movies that preceded it.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    OHMSS over TB by a lot.

MR over GF. This one is close.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,262
    I'll be the first one to vote for the 2 best 4th Bond actor films in the series:

TB vs OHMSS

and

GF vs MR

They both hold a lot of sentimental value for me. MR was the first Bond film I saw in the cinema on its first run while Ian Fleming's TB was the first Ian Fleming novel I ever read and its film version is one of the more faithful to the source material screen adaptations in the history of the Bond series. Plus, there's just something about both's Connery's and Moore's superconfidence in the role on their respective fourth go-rounds as 007 that cinches it for me.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TB over OHMSS by 1 rank. First time in a very long time that TB has passed Majesty's for me.

MR over Goldfinger by a lot.