Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

It's funny, I expected to be in the minority in picking Octopussy over FYEO given how much the latter is praised.

Personally, I feel like all the fun (and budget) of FYEO was front loaded too much, leaving a weak second act, and a bland third one. Once Bond leaves for Corfu after finding Luigi dead, the film slips, and post car-kicking, the film is a drag. Great car chase, great ski chase, and then a sad death march.

Octopussy is dumb, but it doesn't care, and I can appreciate it for that. Maud Adams is easily one of the best casting choices for a Bond girl in this film (and much better than her character in GG), helped by the fact that she was closer to Roger's age.

OP wins here

Quantum vs Golden Gun is a tougher one. There are parts of GG I find annoying (the brain damage Goodnight apparently suffers in the wardrobe due to asphyxiation being chief among them), but Christopher Lee is so wondrously brilliant in the role, and I actually quite like the score here.

Quantum is, depending on my mood, either my second favorite or my favorite Craig film, largely due to the tight story and some amazing cinematography, marred by some terrible editing, especially in the first half of the film.

I think I'll give the nod to Golden Gun, but only just barely. A much tougher choice than the first set.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    FYEO
    QOS
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    OP over FYEO

TMWTGG over QOS. Not even close.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    FYEO
    &
    TMWTGG
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    OP
    QOS
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FYEO
    TMWTGG
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FYEO (clearly)
    QOS (barely)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There must be more voters out there.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

They're totally smashed after two days of heavy drinking.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    OP over FYEO
    TMWTGG over QoS
    DarthDimi wrote: »

They're totally smashed after two days of heavy drinking.

Except the designated moose.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 45,489
    OP beats FYEO 16-11

QOS beats TMWTGG 17-10

Round 75:

YOLT vs NSNA

and

OP vs SF
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    YOLT vs NSNA - Controversial perhaps, but these days I far prefer the rogue entry, which is growing on me by leaps and bounds with every viewing. I find it unique (despite utilizing a rehashed plot) with a far more interesting villain (Pleasance's iteration has become a caricature thanks to Powers), better Bond girls (I've never been a fan of Aki or Kissy) and a more engaged Connery (in superb shape for 53). Quite frankly, it's not close for me. I respect YOLT for the iconic elements it introduced, but I think they have been employed for more successfully in Gilbert's later films.

OP vs SF - Extremely close, but I'm going to give this to SF. OP cracks my top 10 from time to time but then tends to fall out, whereas SF has been a permanent fixture there since its release. I understand the criticisms of the film, but I've always enjoyed it. There is an incredible sense of style that permeates the whole thing, and perhaps Deakins is the unsung hero of the film (along with Marlohe and Bardem). That's to take nothing away from Roger's penultimate entry, in which I think he gives one of his best performances. It's a fun romp with a great repeat watchability rating, excellent villains (probably the best roster outside of LALD & FRWL) and a tightly wound plot that peaks beautifully. I just think SF is a superbly crafted holistic piece of film making which executes on the director's vision to perfection.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,318
    OP beats FYEO 16-11

QOS beats TMWTGG 17-10

Round 75:

YOLT vs NSNA

and

OP vs SF

Interesting to say the least, didn't expect that outcome.

For me:

YOLT
    &
    OP
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,185
    YOLT vs. NSNA - not a fan of either but at least YOLT is an official one and has more intresting locations.
    OP vs. SF - big fan of both, but of SF slightly more so.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    YOLT

&

SF
    OP beats FYEO 16-11

QOS beats TMWTGG 17-10

Round 75:

YOLT vs NSNA

and

OP vs SF

Interesting to say the least, didn't expect that outcome.

For me:

YOLT
    &
    OP

If you mean the FYEO vs OP match, I agree.

And YOLT and SF for me.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    YOLT over NSNA and SF over OP.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    NSNA over YOLT in a landslide.

SF over OP narrowly.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    YOLT
    SF
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    YOLT

SF
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    YOLT
    OP
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    YOLT > NSNA
    OP > SF

Very close on both. Love these 4 films pretty equally, but for me, none of them are top 10 entries.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    YOLT
    SF

Not even close
    YOLT
    OP
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm among those who like NSNA and even find it at least more entertaining than TB. I also prefer it over its direct competitor at the time, OP, which I frankly like less everytime I watch it.

But YOLT is still the better movie.

Whereas SF, which in my book is second only to FRWL, definitely blows OP out of any waters that there are.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    YOLT
    SF

Not even close

I'm actually sorta shocked that OP beat FYEO and is giving SF a run for its money this round
    Yes, OP isn t even top ten material for me, whereas FYEO and SF are both top five.
    OP is not just not top ten, but is actually bottom five for me. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    OP is not just not top ten, but is actually bottom five for me. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Naturally, that is what the thread is about.