Which 007 flick has the worst final 3rd : DAD,DAF,TND,SP ? *Edited to be a 4 way choice*

edited September 2017 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
A simple 4 way choice,and a simple question .

OK Bond peeps,which film and why ?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Easily SP for me. Why? Well because I find it very difficult to get through. So much so that I've turned the film off on many an occasion. It's too much of an affront to my sensibilities, with hanging photos, cringy dialogue, predictable damsels in distress, nonsensical subplots, horrendous acting etc etc..

I'd rate TND as 2nd worse. Terribly cliched and trite ending. Bond twirling the machine gun around, the horrid kiss of life under water etc. etc. A poor man's TSWLM.

I grown to like the last half of DAD. Sure it's ridiculous, but the film had already lost its bearings well before that. So I enjoy it for its cartoonesque & quite clearly parodic nature.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    DAD - a headache inducing cacophony of noise and mayhem that never seems to end. And throw in the CGI from hell and you have the worst final third in the history of action movies...with the exception of Die Hard 5 of course.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tough choice as SP and DAD are terrible I'll have to go with SP on the basis DAD (Carry on Bond) was more intentionally bad.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Tomorrow Never Dies is at least a bit of fun whereas DAD is insanely stupid and Spectre is too dour and flat.

Would probably choose Die Another Day, but I'd still take DAD over DAF, which was a snoozefest.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd rate TND as 2nd worse. Terribly cliched and trite ending. Bond twirling the machine gun around, the horrid kiss of life under water etc. etc. A poor man's TSWLM.
    For me, if that last act had been improved, TND would put considerable distance between itself and the rest of Brosnan's entries.

Across the board Brosnan had the weakest final acts.

EDIT: I do hate Rambo Bond, but after reflection I'd say TWINE had a much less interesting final act than TND.
    NicNac wrote: »
    DAD - a headache inducing cacophony of noise and mayhem that never seems to end. And throw in the CGI from hell and you have the worst final third in the history of action movies...with the exception of Die Hard 5 of course.
    Another strong contender. I'm always weary at the prospect of the rest of the film by the time Jinx and Bond hop on board Graves's plane.
    Easily SP for me. Why? Well because I find it very difficult to get through. So much so that I've turned the film off on many an occasion.
    Had a similar experience on my last go at the film.

I'll toss out one that might be controversial: FRWL.

It's nowhere near the worst, but after the Grant fight the film doesn't seem sure what to do. Placing the helicopter/boat sequences back-to-back has always seemed a symptom of the film being a bit lost.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DAD - Memorable for the wrong reasons. It's loud like sitting in a Biffa bin, and having someone beat on the outside with a steel baseball bat.

SP - My mind has gone blank.... oh, that's right, Blofelds crater hideout, and the fall of the MI6 building. Yeah... it's probably not a good thing that I couldn't immediately remember what it was.

TND - I don't have a problem with the stealth ship battle, the opposite actually.

Worst would be DAD.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Worst is DAD, then TND then SP.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The Brosnan efforts feel the same except one is on a ship, the other a plane; both are loud, trying way too hard, unbelievable, boring choreography, lacking in tension, impossible for me to watch.

SP is boring, as stupid, if not more stupid than the above films, as unrealistic (in all of its faux-grittiness); boring and unnecessary; impossible for me to watch.

I call it a tie, but if forced, I'd watch SP over the other two, only because I can tolerate Craig in the stupidity, a little more than I can Brosnan.

I used to find the Bond/Stamper fight thrilling. Now though it's fairly laughable.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    SP has far and away the worst ending of the three. It's downright anticlimactic and boring; the greatest sin any film can commit. The other two are perfectly fine for their respective films.
    All three almost have a rather juvenile feeling to them.

Though I do admit that I really like Arnold's scoring during the final few minutes of TND.
  • Definitely DAD.

Wretched.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Easily SP for me. Why? Well because I find it very difficult to get through. So much so that I've turned the film off on many an occasion. It's too much of an affront to my sensibilities, with hanging photos, cringy dialogue, predictable damsels in distress, nonsensical subplots, horrendous acting etc etc..

I grown to like the last half of DAD. Sure it's ridiculous, but the film had already lost its bearings well before that. So I enjoy it for its cartoonesque & quite clearly parodic nature.

If you dislike SP so much why are you watching it "on many an occasion"?

You don't have to watch them on a loop just because they're Bond films. No wonder you hate SP so much if you're forcing yourself to watch it night and day.

If I don't like a film I don't watch it. Easy. I know the Brosnan films are abysmal - rewatching them will only reinforce what I already feel. In my mind they're not really Bond films - just weird aberrations, closer to Austin Powers (but not as good).

It's a "good" selection we have here and hard to choose which is worst. Because I haven't seen them for years TND and DAD have faded from memory slightly.

I'd probably say DAD for the absurd CGI plane sequence. Can barely remember what happens in TND apart from Carver getting mashed by that machine.

But they're all worthy winners. Telling that all come from the MGW- Babs era.

There's really no excuse for how many misses they've had.

As cliched as that moment may be I do actually quite like it. Possibly because of Arnold's music.

I think Speed 2 did the same kiss underwater thing during the climax in 1997 also.
    SP's finale is easily the worst offender for me what a bland and poor ending of an otherwise bland and uninteresting movie, so actually the finale fits the movie.

TWINE a decent ending to this adventure movie

DAD a loud and over present ending of a movie that flew of the rails several times in achieving its goal, you cannot fall asleep during this ending simply because of the noise level. ;)
    The TWINE ending could have been included here easily. I remember something about a submarine? Truly dire. Three Brosnans and one Craig. I can't think of anything else that come close. Perhaps DAF?
    Sp's ending just seems to drag on far longer than it really needs to. Also, the shooting down of the helecopter is daft and is presented like it was something out of Time Crisis.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    TND has one of the better endings! Imho something like TMWTGG should be on the list instead.

Anyway, DAD has the worst third act of the lot. It's just too absurd. Second worst would be SP, since it's extremely dull.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The end to TWINE is very dull, as soon as Bond kills Elecktra nothing else interesting happens definitely a candidate for the worse finale.
    Most definitely DAD. Unbearable to watch!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Spectre for me.
    TND is well-executed if a bit by-the-numbers, DAD is the sum of all that came before on acid but SP is pretentious and boring.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2017 Posts: 8,483
    All of Brosnan's climactic scenes are loud, dull and stupid, outside of GE. It's like the writers and filmmakers needed to end the film, recycled the same fight to the death a la GOLDFINGER, kill baddy (I think accompanied by a one liner for each??); on a sub, stealth-sub, plane-- they're all the same, apart from the location; get Bond in bed with the girl for more cheesy lines, roll credits.

And SP and Mendes and Co were also as bankrupt of ideas as these three Brosnan films were. That tacked on ending in London is terrible. It was embarrassing to watch the first time, and now, I FF after Bond makes a miraculous recovery from his torture to take out an army of men, hundreds of feet away, and fly off in a helicopter (hey, this may have been as dumb of a concept as there can be-- but it was one of the only times there was actual excitement in the film, and a genuine desperation (to get out alive), no matter how absurd they set it up. Plus it makes me laugh out loud with how stupidly delicious this small scene is, and how dull the rest of the film is); and I re-watch the final scenes with Q, and then with Bond driving away with maddy 'cause, as I've sai, I'm a sucker to hear the Bond theme blast over-top of the growling Aston Martin (so kill me).
    I think one way of looking at it is how much of a let down is the final third considering what's gone before?

I think the first hour of TND is terrific. Right up till Joe Don Baker turns up.

DAD is, fencing scene aside, frankly a cavalcade of embarrassment, each turdlike scene heaping more and more nonsense till we end up with bewildering cartoon like mayhem.

Spectre is like the end of a glass of coke when it's gone flat and the ice cubes have melted.
  • Good choices. All three are hard to sit through. If I had to choose the worst I'd say SP, because, ya know, photo gallery.

I loathe the photos because they not only represent terrible writing, they are also indicative of the film's painful need to connect the Craig films.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »

If you dislike SP so much why are you watching it "on many an occasion"?

You don't have to watch them on a loop just because they're Bond films. No wonder you hate SP so much if you're forcing yourself to watch it night and day.
    What sage advice. You really are a smart one aren't you?

Who said anything about watching it on a loop? I've viewed the film many times because it's the most recent effort, and because I was trying to determine if I could make some sense out of what the writers and director were trying to get at. I have, and I've voiced my positive and negative comments on the 'Bond movie thread' when I've had a viewing. There is much to like, most notably aspects of the production design and visuals. Perhaps you should have a read, given you seem to be fixated on my views of the film (based on remarks you have made on numerous threads).

I don't hate SP. I've told you before that is not an emotion I'm partial to. When I comment on something I make observations and arguments as to why that is the case. It's always from my personal point of view and expresses my personal opinion (which everything here is by the way), but it's not a question of blanket 'hate'. Perhaps you have a habit of looking at things differently & more emotionally. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I take issue with you mischaracterizing my views.

SP is 20 out of 24 on my list. At one point it was as high as 17.
    Getafix wrote: »
    If I don't like a film I don't watch it. Easy.
    Good to know. That's your prerogative.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TND has one of the better endings! Imho something like TMWTGG should be on the list instead.

Anyway, DAD has the worst third act of the lot. It's just too absurd. Second worst would be SP, since it's extremely dull.
    Agreed! It's quite exciting and climactic.
  • DAD by a parsec. There's nothing good about it. With SP, OTOH, I like the entire North Africa sequence--although the torture was a bit grisly and Bond's escape too easy. And in TND I liked the entire destruction of the stealth boat.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DAD. It was already the worst ever, and then in the final act they manage to turn it up a notch further. It is completely insane.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    TND. I don't have any real issues with the last third of SP. The Blofeld reveal gave me goosebumps and I actually really like the London stuff, the Nine Eyes plot gets sidelined but I found the scenes at the old MI6 really surreal and enjoyable. A small, quiet finale but still a good one. And DAD isn't good but it's at least high concept and enjoyable in a stupid/so bad it's good way. TND from when Bond and Wai Lin are captured just descends into constant machine gun fire. Just background noise. A generic 90s action film without any of the gore or cheesiness that makes those films fun. Not memorable in the slightest. Whenever I watch TND up until the end of Hamburg I can hardly fault it. It could be one of my favourites if the last third wasn't so dull and forgettable. I do like bits of the bike chase though.
    The end to TWINE is very dull, as soon as Bond kills Elecktra nothing else interesting happens definitely a candidate for the worse finale.

I actually really like the TWINE finale. I think the submarine setting is cool and the shots of Bond swimming alongside it are great and very tense. I know a lot of people hate the final fight but I think it's fine given the context (Bond is exhausted, Renard is a terrorist not a highly trained hand to hand fighter) and has a lot of real emotion and passion behind it. It feels like both men are on their last legs but determined to win. Some overracting there but that doesn't do much to spoil a great finale to a brilliant, criminally underrated Bond film imo.
    DAF, which was a snoozefest.

Yeah I think DAF is actually very enjoyable up to the Blofeld reveal. After that it's just boring, we've seen it all before. And Bond and Blofeld's interactions make the whole thing feel very low stakes. Bond literally floats up and gets captured straight away and then they talk more like old friendly sporting rivals rather than arch enemies (one of whom has kileld the others wife). No sense of danger or tension whatsoever. Add in the piss poor special effects from the satellite attacks, the faffing about with the tapes, Blofeld's anti climatic death and Tiffany machine gunning herself off the oil rig and that's a strong candidate for the weakest imo.

I'd say TMWTGG is up there because the Solex stuff is laughably bad (one lame security guard? So piss poor and cheap) but you at least have the great Bond/Scaramanga duel.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    From worst to best of those 003:

001) DAD(a poor man's CGI rip off of the superior Hercules finale in TLD 0015 years earlier)
    002) TND(Die Hard meets TSWLM)
    003) SP(I did like Bond and Madeleine's escape in the desert, the Blofeld and white cat reveal and the reverse of the FYEO PTS Bond vs. Blofeld in the helicopter in London sequence).