The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,271
    Kiss Me Deadly (1955) Mike Hammer Film Noir would be my choice.
    I will put forward The Omega Man (1971)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,271
    barryt007 wrote: »

Good choice can't beat a Chuck Heston classic
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,081
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - The only problem with lesser known films, especially older ones, is that many of them are likely to be harder to come by. I can easily watch The Maltese Falcon, and will happily do so even though I've seen it before a couple of times. I haven't seen The Detective, and would be happy to see that as well, but as to how to see that... I don't know. Just checked and my local library doesn't have it, either. So that's something to consider as well. How are people supposed to watch the movies listed? (I watch on tv, dvds and blu-rays... no experience with net possibilities - unless a movie is literally on YT, which is how I watched Following... but barely anything else.)

edited to add: 1 movie sounds reasonable for the reasons you explained.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    That name sounds Czech or Slovak, am I correct?

Yes! It's a Czech film about Czechoslovakian pilots flying for the RAF in the Battle of Britain. Deserves to be much better known IMHO.

I'm a big fan of Czech culture, I will definitely watch it!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Your call of course but I would never miss out on a chance to rewatch The Maltese Falcon ;)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Ooh that's a cool film! Not seen it in many years. Has different endings depending on what version you watch!

Was a big influence on Tarantino.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

Great! I will confess, this is probably the only Czech film I've seen. But I do love it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Your call of course but I would never miss out on a chance to rewatch The Maltese Falcon ;)

And I would never miss out on an excuse to look at Humphrey Bogart!

Plus, although I've seen The Maltese Falcon, I've never discussed it in depth with likeminded souls. That's going to be a big part of the appeal here.

Ooh that's a cool film! Not seen it in many years. Has different endings depending on what version you watch!

Was a big influence on Tarantino.

I remember catching it on late night TV decades ago and was totally engrossed, this along with Asphalt Jungle and The Big Sleep got me hooked on film Noir. It's been a few years since I watched Kiss me Deadly this thread is a good excuse to revisit it.

Great! I will confess, this is probably the only Czech film I've seen. But I do love it.

May I advise you Marketa Lazarová and Spalovač mrtvol?

And I would never miss out on an excuse to look at Humphrey Bogart!

Plus, although I've seen The Maltese Falcon, I've never discussed it in depth with likeminded souls. That's going to be a big part of the appeal here.

I once gave a lecture on The Maltese Falcon and film noir. It was a long time ago though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @GoldenGun, I felt fairly lost throughout 'Marketa Lazarova,' but holy hell, what a beautiful looking film that is.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,778
    @Creasy47 You're right, it is a gorgeous piece of cinema. I think I'd put Marketa Lazarová in my top 100 to be honest.

Maybe I should suggest it in this thread at some point as well.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Good choice can't beat a Chuck Heston classic

Damn right...one of my favourite films of all time.

And it has the Bond connection with Anthony Zerbe being in it !
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brady, why not just pick one of us with your randomizer, and then that person simply chooses the next film. Keep a list that gets updated. No need to make a long list now.

if one of us puts up a title this week, everyone will try to watch that during next week. During the same week, someone gets to pick next film. Two weeks from now, we discuss the first film, and try to squeeze in a viewing of the next.

If people pick films that are somewhat easily accessible, it will include more viewers. Just a suggestion.
  • Just the one? Hmmm. Very very tempted to pick Rocky because that's my favourite film but we've probably all seen that at some point or another right? So I'm going to go with what I think is a strong contender for the best action film ever made: Police Story 3.
    Think i'll go with, Kill List (2011)

A little seen film that blew me away when I first saw it.

Great choice. Low budget gem.

Yeah very good call, I'd love to have a reason to watch that again. Brilliantly creepy film. Have you guys seen Sightseers and Freefire as well? They're two other great Ben Wheatley movies. Wasn't that keen on A Field In England and High Rise though.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,459
    So I'm going to go with what I think is a strong contender for the best action film ever made: Police Story 3.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    May I advise you Marketa Lazarová and Spalovač mrtvol?

You certainly may! The second one sounds more like my kind of thing - I'll see if I can get hold of it. Thank you!
    One film? Oh my! Very hard to choose so i will go with one of Walter Hills movies.
    Southern Comfort (1981).
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Will you be selling concessions @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7? :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My film pick is Death Wish 3. :D
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Murdock wrote: »

Do we have to see one and two before three? Or is background not necessary?

You can watch the others if you wish but it's not necessary.
    Hmm, one film you say?

Big Lebowski. Should be easy to get your hands on and I should watch it again. Been like six months since I last saw it. But it's very rewatchable and one of my personal favorites.
    I have The Big Lebowski. It's my favorite comedy. :D
    I have The Big Lebowski. It's my favorite comedy. :D
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Hmm, one film you say?

Big Lebowski. Should be easy to get your hands on and I should watch it again. Been like six months since I last saw it. But it's very rewatchable and one of my personal favorites.

Brilliant film....I own that one....
    As of now I'll stick with KNIFE IN THE WATER, pending @Thunderfinger's suggestion of choosing week to week (might change my mind if I'm picking 24 weeks from now ;) )
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,459
    If we're only going with one, I have to go with my favorite film ever: 'Munich.'
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Tuulia wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - The only problem with lesser known films, especially older ones, is that many of them are likely to be harder to come by. I can easily watch The Maltese Falcon, and will happily do so even though I've seen it before a couple of times. I haven't seen The Detective, and would be happy to see that as well, but as to how to see that... I don't know. Just checked and my local library doesn't have it, either. So that's something to consider as well. How are people supposed to watch the movies listed? (I watch on tv, dvds and blu-rays... no experience with net possibilities - unless a movie is literally on YT, which is how I watched Following... but barely anything else.)

edited to add: 1 movie sounds reasonable for the reasons you explained.

@Tuulia, that's naturally going to be an issue with some people's selections, a few of which have been European films that won't be available as easily in a nation that doesn't share the native language of the film in question; ie. like mine.

The ubiquitous nature of The Maltese Falcon is part of why I considered not selecting it, as it's widely available and known, and something everyone should see or should've seen by now. It felt more fitting to pick a film in the form of The Detective that I find to be a more interesting choice, not only for the film itself and how much I appreciate its filmmaking style, but also for how relevant a film made in 1968 is to our current political and social climate.

I've never encountered issues tracking down The Detective, as it's available where I'm at in the major formats a viewer would expect if they set to order it. It may be different for those in other nations, and I can only speak for myself. But, to bring it back to my original point, it'll be even harder to find non-English language films or ones that are over 50 years old and lack the mainstream fame to be widely available than one like The Detective that is American-made and stars one of the most famous faces ever, increasing its wide release.

At the moment I'm just more inclined for The Detective, for the reasons I stated. I wonder consider the likes of The Maltese Falcon to be unofficial homework for this group, as it's an all too obvious and important movie that influenced so much of what we'll discuss. It seems better for me to highlight one of its offspring that broke the mold during its day and challenged the maturity of the film medium in a time where it was taboo to show a woman in a bra and skirt.
    Brady, why not just pick one of us with your randomizer, and then that person simply chooses the next film. Keep a list that gets updated. No need to make a long list now.

if one of us puts up a title this week, everyone will try to watch that during next week. During the same week, someone gets to pick next film. Two weeks from now, we discuss the first film, and try to squeeze in a viewing of the next.

If people pick films that are somewhat easily accessible, it will include more viewers. Just a suggestion.

@Thunderfinger, the main issue with this, and why it didn't seem sensible to me, is because it gives a very short amount of time for members to get the films in question if we are picking films randomly from week to week. If I pick a movie one week and, in the week we are to watch it we pick a new one, that only gives a week or two for interested parties to get the new movie for the next discussion and I don't think that's fair because at times it won't be so easy.

By setting up a list of films ahead of time and fitting them into a long schedule, we are letting members know exactly what movies we'll be watching for a year so that, if they are out and about and find a particular listed film on sale or available to them months ahead of time, they can pick it up in preparation for when that film will be watched. The longer list as opposed to a random selection is to make this process easier and more sensible for the members involved, so that instead of trying to find a movie in one or two weeks each time we watch/discuss another (a film they'll be unable to know about until that short time), they have months of preparation and know what movies they'll need to pick up from over a twelve month period, giving them a better ability to be prepared and engaged for it.

I know this'll be helpful for some, including myself, because I'll have a mental list of people's films in my head and will be on the lookout for them in the months ahead while I'm doing errands where films are sold. As with the one film selection as opposed to five, having members pick films ahead of time and with a long notice to the others is the only sensible and logical way I can think of doing this so that it benefits the greatest amount of people.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    One film? Okay then, Sea of Love (1989).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All right. I pick Rumble Fish from 1983, directed by Coppola. I know you just saw it, Tuulia but it stands a rewatch. I was also thinking of picking Angel Heart, but that one I recently watched myself. Haven t seen RF in many years.