The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    You'll love A Night to Remember. Or maybe not.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh believe me, I'm very appreciative. ;)
    tumblr_n1wba19ds51qedb29o1_500.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All right, whatever...
    tumblr_m21e804WB01qi66kho1_500.gif
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Just watched Death Wish 3, Michael Winner, 1985.

I'm good with it. Cannon. Charles Bronson. A product of the times. Very 80s. Wikipedia is a good read on this--partially filmed in London, to reduce production costs. I want to say it's a slicker production, improved from the previous two. It's fun to compare to the Bond film of 1985 as the benchmark. Pretty colorful on screen, I'll say.

I like how Paul Kersey is wrongly arrested at the start and doesn't voice a word of protest--not unlike Bond in Quantum of Solace being accused of killing all his contacts, still he doesn't stop to defend himself once. More important to get into the mix, stir things up.

Also contrasts with Once Were Warriors, a much more realistic approach to social ills, violence, assault of women. And I do appreciate this re-watch anticipating the upcoming Willis film. A Bruce.
    Partially filmed in London? Wow. Didn't even notice and London is my favourite city.
    I think the Saint/Charteris suggestion is actually more related to Death Wish 4, but still.

Wikipedia.
    Filming started on April 19, 1985 in a "crime-infested" area of Brooklyn. Other New York locations used for the film included the Queensboro Bridge, the bus terminal of Manhattan's Port Authority, and Long Island.[4] In early May, the production team moved to London. Winner found it useful that both cities had a lot of Victorian buildings. The police station scenes were filmed at the old Lambeth Hospital[6] in Lambeth, which has since been demolished. The neighborhood used for the gang war of the film was in Brixton, a district which was infested with real-life gangs.[4] Cinematographer John Stanier was previously director of photography in Oxford Blues (1984) and The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission (1985). He would subsequently film Rambo III (1988).[4]
    According to the book 'Bronson's Loose' by Paul Talbot, the original working title "Death Wish III" was changed to "Death Wish 3" because the Cannon Group conducted a survey and found that nearly half of the U.S. population could not read Roman numerals.[7]

In his introduction to the Audible audio-book of "The Saint Intervenes", Brad Mengel states that the plot of Death Wish 3 is entirely based on "The Saint in New York", both by Leslie Charteris.

Filming
    Even though Death Wish 3 takes place in New York City, some parts of the film were shot in London to make the production less expensive.[2] As a result, some of the extras (both police and gang members) were British. When filming was complete, Michael Winner solicited the help of U.S. Air Force military personnel stationed at High Wycombe Air Station in the UK to provide dubbing with their New York accents for the accents of the British extras. Of the British actors who appeared, Marina Sirtis had previously worked for Michael Winner on The Wicked Lady (1983). She followed her appearance in this film with landing the role of Deanna Troi on the TV show Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1987.[4]
    Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (Zoya Akhtar, 2011) just became available on Amazon Prime.
    I'm gonna watch it.

School For Scoundrels (Robert Hamer, 1960) is on Amazon for US 1.99 rental. I'm on it.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @RichardTheBruce you are in for a treat on that first one
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,675
    I haven't even finished it and am in absolute love! A true triumph! How did this do at the box office?

Some info on the cars from Wikipedia:

The "Swiftmobile" was in fact based upon a 1928 4½ litre Open four-seater Bentley, with a custom two-seat open body. The car, minus the body, was sold by the studio in 1961 for £50, and re-sold (with new body) at an auction in 2003 for £110,000. The Austin-Healey 100-six used in the film was passed in at auction in the 1970s at around £30,000. The car driven by Terry-Thomas, called a "new Bellini", is in fact a disguised Aston Martin DB3S.

The car Palfrey then gets to buy after the Swiftmobile is an Austin-Healey 100-6.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    School For Scoundrels (1959)
    SFS1.jpg
    Ok, so my pick is School For Scoundrels, a an excellent British comedy from 1959. Directed by Robert Hamer, and staring Ian Carmichael, Janet Scott, Terry Thomas & Alistair Sim in the primary roles. The film is based on a series of mock self help books by Stephen Potter (remember this name, we'll come back to it in a bit), each one revolving around a different subject such as: Lifemanship, One-Upmanship and Supermanship among others. School For Scoundrels takes the gist of a number of the books and rolls them together.
    As the film begins we are introduced to our perennial hapless doormat of a protagonist, Henry Palfrey (Ian Carmichael). He runs a company inherited by his uncle, but even his own staff show him little respect. When he, literally, runs into the radiant April Smith (Janette Scott - why didn't she become a bigger name, even in British cinema?), Palfrey strikes up a conversation and even find the confidence to ask April out for a meal. When they get to the restaurant, it is that that Palfrey encounter an acquaintance, Raymond Delauney (Terry-Thomas), a consummate rotter/scoundrel/shower) . After being stiffed with a bill, and an embarrassing tennis match later, Palfrey decides it is time to fight fire with fire, so enrolls at the School Of Lifemanship run by S. Potter (Alistair Sim). Armed with all of the tricks to put ones opponent at a disadvantage and the tables turned, Carmichael gets to play a more assertive character, and T-T gets to dismantle his cad image.
    This film features Terry-Thomas' self styled cad image played to impossible perfection. I'll say it again, impossible perfection. By this time, he had been playing the cad, on and off, almost entirely on, for a number of years, he could have done it asleep and still play it to perfection. The scene in the restaurant, where Delauney shows off his knowledge of fine wines and foods, that isn't acting, that is experience. If EON included an ordering the wine scene as part of the Bond audition, then Terry-Thomas would have been cast as Bond.
    Good job @MajorDSmythe. I might have to score this on Blu I liked it so much.
    No. They haven't got a region free version :(
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Thanks. Knowing what what fate would have in store for T-T in the next few years, seeing him in School For Scoundrels, in good health and at the very peak of his career, never fails to put a smile on my face. He's got that lovable rouge thing, that cheers me up. I'm not sure about BR region coding, as I have the R2 DVD from around a decade ago.
    What's your favourite part, @MajorDSmythe? I really have to go with the Swiftmobile scenes.
    What's your favourite part, @MajorDSmythe? I really have to go with the Swiftmobile scenes.

That's a tough one. If I can just go with the whole film, then: Delauney's introduction at the restuarant ("Oh to be in England now that April's here"), the Tennis match (better yet, make that both of them), Dunstan & Dudley (again both scenes), the scenes at the School For Lifemanship (I always wonder if I could use those techniques myself). And of course, the ending, which begs the question, we have seen what Delauney was like before, just what on earth will he be like when he graduates (there is no way that he won't graduate) from the School For Lifemanship?
    I love the end.
    Anybody else watch this?
    Sorry. Currently on a laptop without very good virus protection.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Ah Yeovil reminds me of my misspent youth
    There are books that the screenplay was adapted from ,called if I remember correctly
    Life manship and One upmanship by Stephen Potter
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Ah Yeovil reminds me of my misspent youth
    There are books that the screenplay was adapted from ,called if I remember correctly
    Life manship and One upmanship by Stephen Potter

Correct. The character played by Alistair Sim was named after the author of the books, S.Potter.
    Oh my. The Olympics made me forget all about this. I'll get back to it when they're done. A very large aplogy to @Agent_99, @Strog, and @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    No need to apologise to me, @PropertyOfALady - I fell off the wagon almost immediately and I'm about a billion films behind (though it looks like I should give School for Scoundrels a whirl).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Oh my. The Olympics made me forget all about this. I'll get back to it when they're done. A very large aplogy to @Agent_99, @Strog, and @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.

I’ve been running behind since Death Wish 3, how many do I need to catch up with?
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    No need to apologise to me, @PropertyOfALady - I fell off the wagon almost immediately and I'm about a billion films behind (though it looks like I should give School for Scoundrels a whirl).
    Yes exactly, @PropertyOfALady -- no worries whatsoever. This fell entirely off my radar, as well. I had no idea this was even the week KNIFE IN THE WATER was supposed to be playing, and I've been offtrack since after RUMBLE FISH.
    I can only watch on Youtube for the time being. Haven t found it there, not for free that is.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No need to apologize, @PropertyOfALady. I should apologize more, for falling behind in being the leader of the group.

Most of us seem to be behind by a few or more films, so if those like @Agent_99, @Strog or @GoldenGun want me to put this thread/group on hold for a while-maybe a month or so-for us all to get on the same page, I'd be willing.

I knew this would be an issue, especially with me, as we've all got our lives and commitments. When I made this thread I didn't expect my family to get a new dog, for instance, and he's since taken up most of my time and attention for the past two months, an obvious hindrance to running a thread day to day.

I love cinema and would love to discuss these films, but I think it's also important to be mindful of peoples' schedules so that everyone can watch the movies and have something to share. I know we all have interest, but time and energy is another thing. I'm a big Polanski fan and have had Knife in the Water on my watch list for a while, so I do want to jump back in with this one.

Anyone who still wants to participate in this thread can happily provide some feedback on how I can best proceed here with this. Do we need to lengthen the time to watch the films, for instance? I know some movies are hard to track down, especially if they are in another language or obscure movies made in a non-western country, which makes it doubly hard to actually watch particular ones.
    There is enough time. Availability is the issue. I think i have seen KNIFE IN THE WATER, but it was so long ago, I remember nothing from it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Of course it’s your thread @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 and I’ll get going whenever I can. Naturally I could use a temporarily “on hold”, but I can’t say when I’d be ready with all of them. Busy couple of months ahead I’m afraid.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @GoldenGun, I perfectly understand. At the very least, with so few participating, I don't think there's anything wrong with people dropping in to comment on the past films they've seen even while we're onto another one. That's what this is about, anyway: discussion and celebration of film, no matter the timeframe. So if you do watch any of the past films and have things to say, by all means to do. Nothing wrong with having a number of conversations going on here.
    Next movie is on Youtube, though. Supercop 3. I will try to watch that.