"New Balls Please" : Tennis Discussion - NOW ON : WIMBLEDON 2019

Comments

Me neither...I think he will have to have an enforced break.
    001 wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I know Cilic was carrying an injury, but fair play to the legend that is Roger Federer! Never dropped a set the whole tournament!

Didn't know Cilic was injured.

Apparently he had a really bad blister on his foot? But fairplay to him that he gave it a go.
  • GBFGBF
    So the US Open have begun... Anyone interested??
  • GBFGBF
    Who is your favourite? Did anyone see the night session yesterday?
    Come on Roger!!!
    Many withdrawls this year, not going to be a classic but a chance for some new blood to make their mark, Murray withdrawing late robs us of a chance for a Ded Nadal final
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The US Open misses the charm and atmosphere of both European Grand Slams, but it has had some nice upsets in the past.

Still hoping that Berdych could find a win and hardcourt is his favourite surface. False hopes probably...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    feds....
  • GBFGBF
    Yesterday night I watched Micha Zverev (#27) against an American college player called Thai-Son Kviatkowski who is only #710 in the world. It was an amzing match with many intense points. The audience was pushing the underdog who almost went beyond himself but finally Zverev won in almost 4 hours and five sets.
    I also really enjoy watching Micha Zverev (He is the older brother of Alex Zverev) who is one of very last serve-and-volley players. Watching him always reminds me of the days of Edberg, Becker and McEnroe.
  • GBFGBF
    Oh man, so many good players are already out...
  • GBFGBF
    I guess we will have some surprising winners this year...
    Are Federer,Nadal and Djokovic still in ?
    I haven't been following things as much as usual this year.
    Djokovic did not enter and is out for the rest of the season,

I like these open tournaments, journey men like Querrey or Anderson see the draw open up and actually see that they do have a chance. I think it's good for the game.
    patb wrote: »
    Djokovic did not enter and is out for the rest of the season,

I like these open tournaments, journey men like Querrey or Anderson see the draw open up and actually see that they do have a chance. I think it's good for the game.

Aaah of course,i forgot that.

Fed struggling at the moment!!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Berdych out in Round 2, om my :(
    The USTA and Bouchard have settled into an uneasy relationship with the Canadian's lawsuit hanging over the U.S. Open.

Bouchard's attorneys in May accused the USTA of erasing security camera footage of her fall in the locker-room at the 2015 U.S. Open, which resulted in a concussion.
    Her lawyers said the accident was caused by a cleaning substance and the injury forced her out of the 2015 U.S. Open and subsequent tournaments.
    "Certainly we don't hold any grudges," Widmaier said. "What happens outside this tournament is irrelevant to us as we build the schedule."
    Given their current strained truce Bouchard's return to Arthur Ashe did little to spark memories of better days.
    "We're still in the process," she said. "I’m able to concentrate on the tennis when I'm here but I definitely have bad memories from here two years ago."
    So Federer is out to the brilliant Del Potro in the US QF .

When Del Potro is in this kind of form he is very very hard to beat.
    Shame he is playing Nadal in the semis,it would have made a great final.

Still,i think whoever wins this match should go on to win the tournament.

Del Potro deserves it after all his injuries and he is a player I have always liked,very entertaining,even if he is an Argie..meh.
    His forehand, when on song, is devastating. Very lucky to have seen him play at the O2.

He has a great chance of going all the way IMHO. What a story that would be!
    Fingers crossed he does !

Federer thinks he can beat Nadal,as do i.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 7,500
    Haha. The English' contempt for 'Argies' has always fascinated me. Why bother with all that nonsense? :)
    jobo wrote: »
    Haha. The English' contempt for 'Argies' has always fascinated me. Why bother with all that nonsense? :)

Because the Falkland Islands are British,old chap.
    Even voted by the residents (including Argies) to remain under our glorious flag.

• GBFGBF
    @barryt007 And I thought it is because of Maradonna's hand of God...
    GBF wrote: »
    @barryt007 And I thought it is because of Maradonna's hand of God...

AAAAAHHHH...that definitely doesn't help !!
    I HATE that little ******* with a passion.

barryt007 wrote: »

Even voted by the residents (including Argies) to remain under our glorious flag.

I know, but is it really that big a deal to the common Englishmen? If the old school imperialism is that important to brits today, I feel kind of sorry for you to be honest, looking at current state of affears... Not much of an empire left, or what do you think? ;)

I know, but is it really that big a deal to the common Englishmen? If the old school imperialism is that important to brits today, I feel kind of sorry for you to be honest, looking at current state of affears... Not much of an empire left, or what do you think? ;)

Yep..its a big issue to us ,and for our citizens who live on there.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,570

It's so hard to accept that we have no Empire left to speak of, and as such a superiority complex is still ingrained in our psyche.

The Brits, or at least the English (of which I'm one) do have a little England mentality, and racism runs deep. We feel superior to all Asians who come here, simply because we can't shake off the Empire connection when we ruled India.

I notice that the next generation of English kids seem to have less racism in their souls, as they are growing up with Asian and black kids.

Recently I was in a car park looking for a space. An Indian girl, with her mother were pulling out of their space and the girl wound her window down and with a beautiful smile offered me her car parking ticket which still had an hour or so on it.

Amidst all of the antagonism and problems over recent terror attacks it was a nice moment.

If that had been a dyed in the wool English girl, complete with tattoos and vest top she would probably have tried to mug me.

EDIT - apologies I thought this was the free discussion - just realised it's the tennis thread. :))

Go Roger!!
    It's to late! Roger is out :((
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,570
    It's to late! Roger is out :((

Oh yea, realised that too late. Go Del Potro! (who is Argentinian by the way Barry !! :)) )