"New Balls Please" : Tennis Discussion - NOW ON : WIMBLEDON 2019

Comments

It was hard watching that...i'm glad its over.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    GBF wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce

Well I don't care so very much about nationalities in tennis anyway since it is an individual sport. Of course a team sport like football is different and you need rules how national teams are built.

I struggle to see the distinction, especially when the country is going mental for Jo. They're not doing that for 'individual' reasons and they just think she's a good player. They're doing it because she's ostensibly 'British'.

Anyway seeing as Andy Murray just became Scottish again it's all down to the Aussie now.

Just throwing it out there (not that I'm cynical) but Murray was clearly injured from the start. Its highly likely he knew he would break down at some point but that he had enough in his locker to get this far anyway for a bigger pay day. Would that make him any better than those players who knew they were injured and pulled out who people were slamming in the first week?

• GBFGBF
    @TheWizardOfIce

I know what you mean but it is not that Konta was a well established player before she changed her nationality. She herself decided to become British for whatever reason, so why should British people not support her? Just because she was not born in Britain? Or where would you draw the line? I guess it would be different if someone just changed the nationality to benefit from - let's say - a better team but since tennis is an individual sport no one can improve just by changing the nationality.

I think that tennis is a very international sport. Most players live outside of their home country for the most part of the year and are official residents in other than their home countries.

Anyway, so now the winner will be Fedex or will it be the Djoker?
    Well that would appear to be that in the men's.

Be surprised if you can find a bookie who will take a bet on Roger now.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Too bad Gilles is out after another tight game.

Glad Berdych and Federer are still in the running though.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FEDS for 8/19 (I'm a Canadian and wanted him to destroy Raonic fast so he could rest up!!)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Go Federer!
  • GBFGBF
    If Federer is not injured he won't won't have any problems with Berdych.
    GBF wrote: »
    If Federer is not injured he won't won't have any problems with Berdych.

Federer is clearly in pole position but Berdych has been a top 10 player for the last decade or so. Very solid service too.
    Come on Jo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jo is in deep shit here....
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Glad that Jo has got the 2nd game in the 2nd Set. Diffuses Venus' momentum somewhat.
    It did...for 5 mins...time to put a Bond film on methinks.
    She's looking more and more British by the minute.
    Yes, Konta's serve has been broken.
    How anyone could enjoy watching a Williams play tennis is beyond me.
    A crucial game for Konta this.
    This is like watching Tiger Tim - except without the limp wristed fist pump because she ain't going to claw a set back and make us believe it might be on.
    That's one thing I can't stand - The Wimbledon Crowd.
    "C'mon Tim!"
    "C'mon Jo!"
    *Shudder*
  • GBFGBF
    Well Venus and Serena are still a mystery. How can you be so successfull after all these years? Think it will be a tight final between Muguruza and Williams.

@GoldenGun

You are right but Berdych is not as good anymore. He has quite lost a bit of his strength and was also quite a bit luky with Djoker's injury and the draw. It is a bit surprising to me that he made it into the semi finals.
    It's Federer's to lose now..and he very rarely lets an opportunity like this go.
    14 G. Muguruza
    versus
    10 V. Williams

Muguruza to win. Should be a good final.
    Impressive show by Rog.
    Last person to win Wimby without dropping a set was Bjorn Borg in 1976.
    Both tennis legends....
    I know Cilic was carrying an injury, but fair play to the legend that is Roger Federer! Never dropped a set the whole tournament!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I know Cilic was carrying an injury, but fair play to the legend that is Roger Federer! Never dropped a set the whole tournament!

Didn't know Cilic was injured.
  • GBFGBF
    Federer is a legend... and the new No. 3 in the world. Watch out Murray...
    Wonderful result for Fed, he deserves resepct for managing his career and work load far better than his colleagues. Not playing the clay court season has provided rich rewards. I wonder if other big names will take not and start to take breaks to ensure that they are in peak condition for their targeted Grand Slams? Murray seems to be paying the price for playing too much over the last 9 months or so. I cant see him getting back to top condition in time of the US Open.