Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

All theater chains need to do now is set up a male's only screening of Atomic Blonde so that us boys can "do our duty" even more effectively...and piss off every other radical feminist by making a female-led movie exclusive to a theater-going gender like some chains thought they'd do for Wonder Woman.

Are men allowed to see movies with female leads, or aren't we? Make up your minds, folks.

Cast a hot looking female action lead and I'm always first in line. There's been no shortage of these roles in the Marvel, DC film era, maybe not always in the lead, but these girls are there.
    Filmmakers know what guys like.
    Jessica Alba as Invisible Girl was a big draw for the F4 films, and Malin Ackerman in Watchmen!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    timmer wrote: »
    All theater chains need to do now is set up a male's only screening of Atomic Blonde so that us boys can "do our duty" even more effectively...and piss off every other radical feminist by making a female-led movie exclusive to a theater-going gender like some chains thought they'd do for Wonder Woman.

Are men allowed to see movies with female leads, or aren't we? Make up your minds, folks.

Cast a hot looking female action lead and I'm always first in line. There's been no shortage of these roles in the Marvel, DC film era, maybe not always in the lead, but these girls are there.
    Filmmakers know what guys like.
    Jessica Alba as Invisible Girl was a big draw for the F4 films, and Malin Ackerman in Watchmen!!

@timmer, there's not a woman out there that I'd go and see a movie for without the assurance of quality in the movie they are starring in, no matter how "hot" they are. I've never been a hedonist anyway, but it's not a mistake that all my favorite ladies of the big screen have talent to match or exceed their looks. I know that the Albas and Ackermans of the world may be important from a marketing standpoint, but the latter has done little to help her films critically, especially in Watchmen where I think she was the largest misfire. Alba has a certain playfulness, but no worries about her reinventing wheels in her craft.

I say push for more Gal Gadots, surprising women whose looks have more behind them and who can effectively carry gigantic blockbusters credibly on their backs because of that talent and charismatic draw. Theron is another example of a woman in that mold so Atomic Blonded should do fine, despite me not having much immediate interest in seeing it.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Ackerman in Watchmen is probably my favorite on-screen female comic hero.
    I do like that film and she was a big part of it.
    I liked Jennifer Garner in her two Elektra films.
    Jessica Alba was real good in her Dark Angel tv days. I liked her in F4 too. I like her in pretty much anything.
    Scarjo as Black Widow is excellent.
    Gadot as Wonderwoman = near perfect.
    And we've had some great Catwomans , notwithstanding Halle Berry.
    Even Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl worked real well I thought.
    I'm a big fan of the female action hero, and
    femme fatale, especially when when they both look real good ,and bring some attitude.
    Haven't seen Atomic Blonde yet, but I'm looking forward to it. No duty. No agenda.
    Just looks like an exciting film with maximum impact Charlize Theron as Atomic Blonde!!

The butthead that wrote this article thinks he's stumbled across an overdue trend, when he hasn't.
    Lara Croft , Charlie's Angels....and sequels........can hardly keep up with all the Resident Evil films..and and and...

• edited August 2017 Posts: 5,806
    But they call her Iron Man?

She calls herself Ironheart. Not a bad name, and not a bad costume either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riri_Williams

In France, the latest stupidity was a singer who wanted to boycott two TV channels about the airing o the latest version of "And Then They Were None", because of the french title : "Dix Petits Nègres".

https://actualitte.com/article/monde-edition/le-titre-dix-petits-negres-est-raciste-selon-laam-christie-raillee/84184

Never mind the fact that the title has existed that way for a very long time now. And, of course, some people really take anti-PC (in this case anti-burqa) a bit too far :

cbsnews.com/news/anti-immigrant-group-mistakes-empty-bus-seats-for-women-wearing-burqas/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ha ha!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    How long before the term 'Bond Girl' will have to disappear?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    How long before the term 'Bond Girl' will have to disappear?

... and get "Girl Bond" instead.

Yes, the PC idiots know what they want. And what I don't want.
    Bond girl = Bond person.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I already use "Bond woman" more, but not for a PC reason. It's just that the majority of the actresses are over 30 and deserve the title of the very mature and enticing characters they play.
  • I think it was Naomie Harris who came out with some bollocks in an interview around the time of SF talking about how she didn't like the term Bond girl and how it did a disservice to Eve, who was the first Bond woman (which is weird looking back because she tried to be like Bond, failed and ended up as a secretary, a more stereotypically female job, so isn't that the opposite of empowering?). And in that thread, which I can't for the life of me find, someone posted a lovely interview with the actress who plays Natalya where she talks about how she wasn't going to talk about how much of a revolution Natalya was as a Bond girl because Bond girls have always been strong women. And that's true. For some reason there seems to be this image of them all as bikini clad bimbos hiding behind Bond, and true some of them haven't helped wih that, but 90% of them are strong brilliant women. The first instance of a Bond girl saving Bond's life came in the second film when she shoots the villain. So I think people should follow that actresses example and see Bond girl as a positive label.
    I think it was Naomie Harris who came out with some bollocks in an interview around the time of SF talking about how she didn't like the term Bond girl and how it did a disservice to Eve, who was the first Bond woman (which is weird looking back because she tried to be like Bond, failed and ended up as a secretary, a more stereotypically female job, so isn't that the opposite of empowering?). And in that thread, which I can't for the life of me find, someone posted a lovely interview with the actress who plays Natalya where she talks about how she wasn't going to talk about how much of a revolution Natalya was as a Bond girl because Bond girls have always been strong women. And that's true. For some reason there seems to be this image of them all as bikini clad bimbos hiding behind Bond, and true some of them haven't helped wih that, but 90% of them are strong brilliant women. The first instance of a Bond girl saving Bond's life came in the second film when she shoots the villain. So I think people should follow that actresses example and see Bond girl as a positive label.

Perhaps it's just the Bond girls people know? Some of the people I've seen make similar comments were born around the 70s, where some of the weakest Bond women were around, and not the strong icons of the 60s. Maybe it gives a different impression? Not excusing it, just trying to figure out why it happens.

But that is very much the modern radical feminist mentality, @thelivingroyale. If you are a beautiful woman who wants to wear a bikini, you're being a whore and over-sexualizing yourself instead of practicing bodily freedom. And if a man has to help you at any point, for any reason, no matter how many times you help him too, the film is a statement about the fragility of femininity and the power of masculinity. Bond can never win in these arguments, but there you have it.

We live in a world where Bond gets called a misogynistic character, once by his own films, yet anyone who watches the films and reads the books will see how intensely he worships women. It's not a misogynist who sits up at night dreaming of the woman he'd met earlier that day, aching to be in the same room as her again for the feeling she gives him, and it's certainly not a misogynist who throws himself into bullets, blows and danger itself to protect his women at all costs. Even back in Thunderball, despite sex icon Sean Connery leading the movie, one can take in a beautiful dynamic between Bond and Domino as a man sees a woman being abused and steps in to help her, as she helps him along the way.

I guess that the blockbuster appeal of the films makes people forget the beautiful human moments like that in the films, and the big heart Bond has under the cold mask, but it does get tiring hearing the franchise dragged around for being some anti-women piece of money machinery. Perhaps we should tally up all the careers for women Bond has made, shooting actresses to the stratosphere after their appearances in them, or even just examine their use in the movies themselves which are quite deep and important, especially in the 60s where some seem to be under the impression that they were just ladies in bikinis.

It just seems so backwards that a film series that is considered by some to be so un-PC is one that, like the old pulps, modernized and made salient the idea of a man and a woman joining together to face a mutual threat, a defining and truer bit of feminist symbolism than many I've ever seen. The Bond films at times can be extremely "PC," even way back in the day, for how it showed Bond interacting and getting on with people from every background, nation or walk of life (even Russians!) and how those characters-like the women-had more depth to them than cardboard in the stories themselves.

It's a shame Bond doesn't get credit for being such a trailblazer to that extent, but I think it may be asking too much of these radical and over-sensitive types to look past their faux tears of oppression to see what is really out there. Their lives consist of myopic races to presumption with little clarity or context regarding anything they are upset about.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I already use "Bond woman" more, but not for a PC reason. It's just that the majority of the actresses are over 30 and deserve the title of the very mature and enticing characters they play.

Even that feels odd to me. I've been using 'Bond girl' since I was a kid.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think it was Naomie Harris who came out with some bollocks in an interview around the time of SF talking about how she didn't like the term Bond girl and how it did a disservice to Eve, who was the first Bond woman (which is weird looking back because she tried to be like Bond, failed and ended up as a secretary, a more stereotypically female job, so isn't that the opposite of empowering?). And in that thread, which I can't for the life of me find, someone posted a lovely interview with the actress who plays Natalya where she talks about how she wasn't going to talk about how much of a revolution Natalya was as a Bond girl because Bond girls have always been strong women. And that's true. For some reason there seems to be this image of them all as bikini clad bimbos hiding behind Bond, and true some of them haven't helped wih that, but 90% of them are strong brilliant women. The first instance of a Bond girl saving Bond's life came in the second film when she shoots the villain. So I think people should follow that actresses example and see Bond girl as a positive label.

True enough. Honey was the most independent woman imaginable.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The same clap trap has been with us for 40 years. Barbara Bach insisted she wasn't like the other Bond girls. She was independent and strong. Yet the 60's Bond girls were fantastic. Kissy saved the world, ffs. Whilst wearing a bikini mind you...
    Most of them have probably never seen a Bond film. Some of them may have seen one or two perhaps.
    royale65 wrote: »
    The same clap trap has been with us for 40 years. Barbara Bach insisted she wasn't like the other Bond girls. She was independent and strong. Yet the 60's Bond girls were fantastic. Kissy saved the world, ffs. Whilst wearing a bikini mind you...

@royale65, but it's just not a Bond press tour unless at least one woman form the cast declares their character to be "Bond's equal" and "independent and strong." We have to keep every tradition when it comes to these matters. ;)

Comments like that are annoying not only for how tedious and cliché they are, but also because they imply through comparison that those traits usually aren't the case for Bond women who must be dependent, sub-standard characters by the way people talk. For fans like us who know what we're talking about and have made a study of the films, however, we know it's crock.
    I suppose it is a tradition, it's been going on for so damned long ;)
    I suppose it is a tradition, it's been going on for so damned long ;)

The actresses just need an education instead of letting pop culture misperceptions speak for them. Anybody that watches just Tracy in OHMSS will understand why those kinds of comments are ignorant.
    For me the only "bimbos" in the franchise, are in the Guy Hamilton trio of films that started the 70's.
    For me the only "bimbos" in the franchise, are in the Guy Hamilton trio of films that started the 70's.

And one in 1987 I could mention.

She's not a bimbo. She could play the cello! ;)
    She's not a bimbo. She could play the cello! ;)

I would rather whack her over the head with it he he ;)

Isn t Tatiana a bimbo?

There are definitely some bad in the series, but I'd say it's largely a minority issue. Case is wasted potential personified, and Goodnight doesn't even deserve discussion, so Hamilton had some duds.

Wood's Plenty is actually one I'd keep out of that classification of "bimbo," as she was an interesting character despite being short-changed. She's gold digging, but she treats the men she plays well and doesn't let them down hard. In that way the more sympathetic and tragic angle to her makes her more than a pretty face for me.
    barryt007 wrote: »

And one in 1987 I could mention.

Oh no, @barryt007, I'm not letting you have this one. ;) Kara is the difference or the delineation between naive and simple. She's not at all brainless, which we can see from her knowledge and passion for the arts, she's just wrapped up in a spy world she has no idea about. She's very much gung-ho and willing to pick up a gun to protect a man she loved, and even goes to possible death for Bond in Afghanistan, so she's capable and very endearing for me from that angle and shows a certain spirit and drive beyond a dimensionless woman.

She's also not used as a sex object, one of the biggest requisites for being a "bimbo." I've rarely seen a Bond girl whose sexuality was used so little, and that gives her a very puritanical feeling that very much sets her apart. She is never in a bikini, she never seduces, she never chases Bond's tail like a harlot, nor does she show skin to a lurid degree. I know you don't like her, but she is one of the most grounded Bond girls and is very much how a real woman would be. I like that appeal and it's one of the reasons I like her to the degree that I do. "Bimbos" by definition are far more fantastical, ideas of women rather than real characters with depth. For me, Kara rises far, far above that, not only for her depth but also for how the team chose not to sexualize her like so many others.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Bimbos, smart women, Bond girls, Bond women, it's all fine with me.

If they want a sex object for one film, more power to them. If they want a deep, meaningful and intelligent woman, go for it. All these types of women exist in the real world after all.

Just make sure the actress can embody the characterization (whatever it may be) properly and be credible in the role. That's all I ask for.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Obese? Don't worry, you're beautiful.
    Fat shaming? Well that's a health hazard!

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/research-shows-fat-shaming-health-hazard-133104895--abc-news-wellness.html
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/research-shows-fat-shaming-health-hazard-133104895--abc-news-wellness.html

People banging on about women's roles in films but it's generally fit women we're taking about. We won't have true equality and diversity until we get a 25 stone porker playing a Bond girl.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

People banging on about women's roles in films but it's generally fit women we're taking about. We won't have true equality and diversity until we get a 25 stone porker playing a Bond girl.

@TheWizardOfIce, genius. Bond will be tailing the villain at a fairground in America and the Bond girl will have just won a hot dog eating contest by swallowing a record-breaking 25 dogs in just ten minutes. Cue Bond's joke about her fitting a lot in her mouth, or being a good swallower.

It'd be brilliant, a Bond girl debut to rival Honey's.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,622

That's harsh, but Plenty, Rosie and Goodnight are yes, all close enough.
    None showed much competence.
    Rosie and Goodnight were agents of zero ability, while Plenty, as charming as she was, only skill was latching onto high rollers

Tiffany and Solitaire both had some talent at least, in larceny and occult, respectively.

Hamilton it seems did like like the stereotype.
    He also gave us Dink.

And Tiffany and Solitaire also had their bimbette moments as their films wore on.

Most of the girls you mentioned @timmer have plenty of charm, but their on screen depiction is lacking somewhat. Solitaire though is awesome. ;)