Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    patb wrote: »

@patb
    Another example of the world losing its mind! This is absolutely insane.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I despair over the way society is going, i really do.

Depressing times.

I like this one.....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/06/national-trust-exhibition-margaret-armstrong-cragside-northumberland-covering-up-artworks-men

It was designed as an exhibition to promote the role of women and celebrate the life of Margaret Armstrong, the wife of a 19th-century industrialist. But instead of filling her grand country hall with artefacts about her life, the National Trust decided to cover up artworks that featured men.

Visitors described the project as “ridiculous” after paintings were covered with sheets and statues wrapped in bags. It was reported that staff at Cragside in Northumberland had to empty the comments box several times a day due to the volume of complaints.

Now the National Trust has admitted the idea backfired. It said the project was “not about censoring art or being politically correct” but was designed to encourage visitors to “look at the collection differently and stimulate debate”.
    Theres no debate about the stupidity of that idea.
    barryt007 wrote: »

At least from the volume of complaints it shows that normal everyday people won't stand for this PC stupidity.

At least from the volume of complaints it shows that normal everyday people won't stand for this PC stupidity.

Yep...maybe people are waking up to these things,but I wont hold my breath over it.

Yep...maybe people are waking up to these things,but I wont hold my breath over it.

Nor me mate

Yes. While this PC craziness is widespread, it seems to me there are still many people who oppose it.

Efforts to be fair, respectful and egalitarian that are misguided and/or based on incorrect premises.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Yes. While this PC craziness is widespread, it seems to me there are still many people who oppose it.

Efforts to be fair, respectful and egalitarian that are misguided and/or based on incorrect premises.

Trouble is it's our so called leaders and media that are the main culprits. And normal common sense gets pushed aside so the rest of us have to suffer it.
    Exactly,its in your face all the time,like a slow-working brainwash.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/07/dutch-man-69-identifies-20-years-younger-launches-legal-battle/

A pensioner has begun a legal battle to be recognised as being 20 years younger than his actual age so he can go back to work and achieve greater success with women on Tinder.

Emile Ratelband, 69, argues that if transgender people are allowed to change sex, he should be allowed to change his date of birth because doctors said he has the body of a 45-year-old.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/07/dutch-man-69-identifies-20-years-younger-launches-legal-battle/

A pensioner has begun a legal battle to be recognised as being 20 years younger than his actual age so he can go back to work and achieve greater success with women on Tinder.

Emile Ratelband, 69, argues that if transgender people are allowed to change sex, he should be allowed to change his date of birth because doctors said he has the body of a 45-year-old.

Love it! :))
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Why doesn't he just self-identify as a 45 year old.
    I've been getting up to speed with Jordan Peterson. What's interesting and a little dangerous IMHO is that many are so fed up with the narrow PC narrative put forard by the media/politicians that anyone can gain a quick/big fan base by going against this.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    As a famous man once said, “ I can’t keep doing it...... with these..... p e o p l e”
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 5,185
    48041626_2055505791176439_4359866794463199232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fham2-1.fna&oh=b42111fede243f5a101c9f3061a59a88&oe=5C94D6D5

Really love this one, it's from a german cartoonist called Perscheid.

It reads:
    "The new James Bond: Why not have an overweight darkskinned handicapped jewisch chinese woman?"
    Just wondering; how long before breaking wind in public is fined?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote: »

If that becomes a thing I'll break wind in revolt. :))
    Murdock wrote: »

If that becomes a thing I'll break wind in revolt. :))

We'll unite in the "Farts For Freedom" protest group.
    Whenever I brake wind in public I always mention that I am being paid for advertising the Fast and the furious franchise and that is the sound of a turbo gearing up and if they want to hear some more sound effects most of the time they are really fine without an encore.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,449
    Near the end of this video (6:22 min), Jordan Peterson addresses the possibility of men and women working together anymore and whether or not male and female coworkers should never be in the same room together with the doors closed.

I teach students in the age range of 14 - 18, most of whom are female. Like Jordan, I refuse to give in to that nonsense. Youngsters often seek a private word of advice or some extra clarity in my teachings. Most of them value discretion and will, in fact, shut the door spontaneously when stepping into the classroom. I always maintain a sufficient physical distance, but I don't leave the doors open or invite a random third person "just in case". Nor do I differentiate between the genders.

But I am perfectly well aware that I am taking risks. Who knows what a student broadcasts behind my back? And whose word means more these days? That of a male teacher, or that of a female minor? So here's my question. Should I trust the honesty of my students and respect their privacy / discretion by having conversations behind closed doors? Or should I defend myself against possible "annoyances"?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I say trust them. The value of trust cannot be overstated.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sadly, in today's society, if I were you I'd cover my back and have the door open at all times. Like you said, you just do not know what's going to set a particular student off that, in turn, will cause them to say something ridiculous, and you find yourself having an even tougher time explaining things when they ask "Well why was the door closed?" It's probably quite the nuisance, but always better to be safe than sorry.
    Sad thing, isn't it, @Creasy47? I'm torn. @Thunderfinger is correct, "trust" is a big deal (and I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a P&W script. ;) ). By the same token, I do fear the possibility of certain unexpected complications.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Near the end of this video (6:22 min), Jordan Peterson addresses the possibility of men and women working together anymore and whether or not male and female coworkers should never be in the same room together with the doors closed.

I teach students in the age range of 14 - 18, most of whom are female. Like Jordan, I refuse to give in to that nonsense. Youngsters often seek a private word of advice or some extra clarity in my teachings. Most of them value discretion and will, in fact, shut the door spontaneously when stepping into the classroom. I always maintain a sufficient physical distance, but I don't leave the doors open or invite a random third person "just in case". Nor do I differentiate between the genders.

But I am perfectly well aware that I am taking risks. Who knows what a student broadcasts behind my back? And whose word means more these days? That of a male teacher, or that of a female minor? So here's my question. Should I trust the honesty of my students and respect their privacy / discretion by having conversations behind closed doors? Or should I defend myself against possible "annoyances"?

Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and with all the craziness that goes on these and worse yet, the craziness that's accepted I say to hell with trust. Trust no one and nothing especially with the job you have. You have to take precautions to look out for yourself because if ever you get thrown under the proverbial, that's it. Game over. Your career and life ruined.
    Putting his own interests above those of his students, doesn t make him a very worthwhile teacher, does it?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Putting his own interests above those of his students, doesn t make him a very worthwhile teacher, does it?

He's not putting his "own interests" above anything. He'd be being judicious. You cant be naive when workibg in this capacity, plain and simple. If ever he finds himself in a compromising situation and with his job it's easy to happen, being a worthwhile teacher won't matter because he won't be able to teach at all.
    I think you misunderstood him. He wasn t afraid of what he might do. Only of false accusations or suspicions.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »

He's not putting his "own interests" above anything. He'd be being judicious. You cant be naive when workibg in this capacity, plain and simple. If ever he finds himself in a compromising situation and with his job it's easy to happen, being a worthwhile teacher won't matter because he won't be able to teach at all.

I coached competitive ice hockey up until two years ago. It was mandated that the coach left the locker room door open if alone with one single player. Once there was a second player and/or another coach in the room, the door could then be shut.

Sad, but, you know, in the end, it was for the security of everyone.