Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pippi Longstocking s dad has in the Swedish editions from the later years been called The South Seas King instead of The Negro King as Astrid Lindgren wrote him in the 40s. How long before Fleming s LALD gets censored? It is far worse, after all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Pippi Longstocking s dad has in the Swedish editions from the later years been called The South Seas King instead of The Negro King as Astrid Lindgren wrote him in the 40s. How long before Fleming s LALD gets censored? It is far worse, after all.

This has been discussed in another thread, but Fleming's L&LD was censored even during its original printing in the US. The New York portion of the book was susceptible to cuts of content, with the entire discussion between a black man and his girlfriend removed from the text and the "controversial" chapter title of #5 changed.

I'm personally curious how much longer the Korean content of GF can last.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    @royale65, funny you should post something like this. Just a few days ago I was quietly wondering how the PC brigade would react if Craig were still on late night TV, as he always had a very playful and naughty interview style that requires a sense of humor to enjoy. As we can see, they have an issue with it.

Here's the full interview from start to finish, in full context:

The band-aid brigade may find it creepy, but the lovely Ms. Markle doesn't seem to be offended, belittled or harassed by Craig's style, and as is the case with all the female guests I've seen, she gets in on the innuendos herself and playfully creates a rapport with him. Craig can be cheeky, whip out double-entendres and flirt, of course, but I've never seen a female guest who looked uncomfortable in his presence and I was and still am a devout lover of his late night show. Some of the best interviews were those where the women were actually flirting with him and gave him permission to go into double-entendres with their own innuendos to kick off the discussion. It was always a two-sided thing, with Craig and the woman having some fun as opposed to the view that Craig made these women objects of his desire for an 8 minute interview where he used them or bombarded them with sexist remarks. Ms. Markle then fits the general rule of the show and how Craig interview, basically where she not only had a sense of humor and played the game with him, but also got into it herself. In short, two consenting adults, if we to look at this metaphorically.

I also don't appreciate the view that Craig's show was only there as a vessel for his "sexist" antics. Some of my favorite moments in late night history are from Craig's program, where he'd stop the show to talk about a tragedy in the world in a long monologue, or the lovely tributes he held for his mother and father when they each passed away where he shared childhood memories to eulogize them. Perhaps most powerful was when he'd stop and talk about his addiction and urge other people to fix what was wrong in their lives, detailing his suicide attempt and how he got off the bottle to sobriety and a better life.

Craig is one of the funniest people I know, but as with a lot of funny people his life has dark spots in it that show he is just as capable of discussing the hard issues as he is playing around and entertaining. I've watched every late night host ever and I've never seen a host do all the things Craig did. One night he could be doing comedy bits with puppets, a robot and dancing horse, but another night he could be discussing Calvinism and whether humans have free will with Alice Eve (this actually happened) or on another night he'd stop and give his earnest impressions about the world and an important event that'd impacted it that week. Most late night show hosts keep their shows very simple with the only goal being a very formulaic and structured pattern of entertainment with little spontaneity that also made it impossible for the host to be more than the "face" of that brand, but Craig's show was always off the cuff, always riding chaos to be something it wasn't the night before and his ability to brush off what was expected of him and his show as a late night program was perhaps his greatest strength. And while other hosts were their avatars and played to their personas, Craig tore down the entertainer front he had constantly to let his real thoughts and viewpoints or experiences in. The audience flocked to him not only because he was hilarious, but because he was the real deal. After all, this is the man who would openly insult or poke fun at a company that he didn't even know was his show's sponsor. That was just how he was, and it was glorious. He always felt like one of us and still does.

I can only assume that the PC brigade are having a slow week of being outraged over everything, considering they had to dig up a 4 year old interview and feed the lie that Markle was actively uncomfortable with being there to suit their current agenda.

Quoted, because it's the truth.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    One of my favorite political commentators, Sam Seder, has been fired from MSNBC following the network's reaction to...wait for it...an 8 year old tweet where Seder criticized and mocked the way people can ignore the rape of young girls when the rapist is a celebrity figure (mirroring the current reaction to Roy Moore's rape allegations and how that hasn't stopped him from getting votes). An alt right prick master general fooled MSNBC into buying his outrage over Seder's tweet and, of course, caved to that outrage and fired Seder regardless of the context of his 8 year old comment and the fact that he was actually rallying against the normalization of rape which couldn't have been more obvious to those without a lobotomy.

Unbelievable. There's many apologists out there for the PC or SJW movement (and some on this forum), but you can see in just this newest example how much of a weapon fake outrage can be in our current climate and the role it can have in manipulatively ending the careers of people who are innocent of any wrong doing. Seder joins a long list of bright and clever commentators whose obvious comments of derisive commentary were spun into a genuine view they had by those who want their voices silenced, and the mainstream media is too worried about their already poor reputations and audience or sponsor backlash to take their heads of their arses to see what's really going on. What the hell is this world spiraling into?
    In an unexpected reversal of events, Sam Seder has been reinstated by MSNBC after they seized upon some vestiges of common sense and took a crash course in satire and context clues. It's very rare for these knee-jerk, outrage driven outcomes to be reversed, so I'm very happy for Sam that this ended the way it did.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Here we go again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42346331

Not sure how the world of F1 works but I'm pretty sure these girls haven't been people trafficked into it and see this as a great gig with lots of perks.

But what do I know? Soon being a gorgeous bird will actually be outlawed anyway. Thanks to the Weinsteins and Trumps of the world appreciating the female figure pretty much already is.

Viva la revolution when all women will be forced to look like a combination of Hattie Jacques and Bella Emberg for the sake of inclusivity.

If you're going to ban F1 girls then you might as well close down the whole fashion industry (which I'm sure is far more damaging to the girls psyche) while you're at it given that is based on the wholly correct premise that people like looking at fit girls.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @TheWizardOfIce, may as well get rid of any and all cheerleaders too if they're aiming for some consistency, alongside the entire fashion/modeling industry.
    Having 2 sons, I often wonder what it would be like raising a daughter and what hopes I would have for her. Perhaps she would have been a "gorgeous bird". Perhaps instead of aspiring to be a docter, scientist or engineer, she would have been brought up watch "gorgeous birds" standing in front of F1 cars fulfilling the useful role of telling us what grid position they were or on the sidelines of a sporting event, waiving pom poms up and down, trying to make it more exciting.

"Daddy, I'm not going to college or university so dont worry about the fees. I want to be a gorgeous bird and hold a numbered board in front of a car."

How would I deal with this situation and what would I think of a culture that provided such pathetic role models for school girls. It's time we grew up and moved on.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce, may as well get rid of any and all cheerleaders too if they're aiming for some consistency, alongside the entire fashion/modeling industry.

I'm all in favour of that. I know the Yanks love it (and I can understand - having to sit through their dismal sports, a bit of eye candy is a welcome distraction) and they do it at pathetic clubs like London Utd but if I'm at a big match I'm concentrated on that and don't want a few birds from the local dance school prancing about.

A nice pie or hotdog (with dubiously sourced meat) and Gerry and the Pacemakers cranked up to 11 more than enough pre match entertainment for me thank you very much.

I'm all for gorgeous girls in various states of undress but the serious business of a football match is not one of them.

Unless it was Eva Green, Gemma Arterton, Lea Seydoux and (sorry Bazza) Maryam herself doing the full Monty then I don't want to be distracted from the business at hand.*

*The exception being England in the business end of a tournament (by that I mean knockout stages onwards Woy) and then all of the above can sling their hook. To quote AP himself when faced with a Ursula Andress offering herself to him on the hard shoulder 'Put your top on and get out.'
    I hear wolf whistles are to be outlawed in the UK, as it is seen as a hate crime.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,718
    They also cause keyring finders to explode.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,530
    *sigh*

Matt Damon has stated in an interview that there's abuse and abuse: smacking a woman on the bottom isn't the same as raping her. Consequently, some actresses have reacted via Twitter...

[because people don't know how to properly communicate anymore; they just "Tweet" like it means something]

... stating that abuse is abuse, no matter what.

I guess Goldfinger is at risk now of being censored once the knight of PC-dom get it their way.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Or DAF, as Bond uses Marie's bra (without her permission, mind you) to choke the ever-loving hell out of her.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,530
    Those two films were part of my upbringing. Smacking is how I get things done in life.

CVMRWEQU8AAtO5c.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Here's a novel idea, why not ask the pit babes themselves? If they feel demeaned, they can find a job elsewhere.

It's like the Lara Croft models, people who never played the games, let alone knew who or what Lara Croft was, got outraged, so the idea was done away with. It was too much hard work to ask Allison Carrol, Karima Abebibe or any of the previous models if they felt demeaned. Oh no, can't do that, nothing must come before outrage.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's laughable that Feminists are going to cost many women their jobs !
    So...is Matt Damon's career over now? (I seriously have to ask that about these trivial things these days)
    The PC police take up a hefty bulk of my problems with the US.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The PC police take up a hefty bulk of my problems with the US.
    Absolutely, no matter how much the apologists want to brush it off.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Just popping back in to say that the internet trolls are actually right on this one. If I punched a guy I would expect to receive the same punishment in court as I would if I shot and killed him. It's only logical. You win this round, snowflakes, right in time for Christmas!
    Just popping back in to say that the internet trolls are actually right on this one. If I punched a guy I would expect to receive the same punishment in court as I would if I shot and killed him. It's only logical. You win this round, snowflakes, right in time for Christmas!

Punching hurts. Killing is painless. Surely the former is much worse.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Move over kumbaya there is a new song in town. Muh Feelwings. ;)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Depends on the method of killing old boy.
    royale65 wrote: »

Brady shoots them in the head. Decent.
    Or maybe he goes all Grant on them, and shoots them in the knees before they kiss his foot.
    I never knew that about Cary Grant.
    It's a well guarded secret. Grant was quite sadistic back in his day.

Bond's a poser. I'm the one who is the true half monk/half hitman killer.
    Or maybe he goes all Grant on them, and shoots them in the knees before they kiss his foot.
    I don't know what you're talking about, old boy...
    grant61.jpg?w=340&h=248

Bond's a poser. I'm the one who is the true half monk/half hitman killer.
    I don't know what you're talking about, old boy...
    grant61.jpg?w=340&h=248

Don't you mean, "old man"?

grant61.jpg?w=340&h=248
    There is licorice between my toes, old boy. Help yourself.

No, really!! Those ARE toes.