Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    As a great '00' agent once said @RichardTheBruce : "I don't have any friends."

;)

Oh and @TheWizardOfIce me olde matey....spot on with that Matrix clip,and I cant help but agree that he is right .
  • The_Donald wrote: »

Why would you assault (not self defense) anyone? It might be easy to say (although still wrong)that when your opponents are heiling Hitler and bearing swastikas, but where does that attitude end? Assaulting people of political persuasions you consider extreme? Who gets to decide who are so politically unpalatable that they're deserving of being punched and in the end of course, killed? You sir are an idiot.

Trump has already condemmed the kkk, neo Nazis groups. All focus is on them perhaps understandably, but they essentially hjacked peaceful protests about the removal of history. The later Trump statement is simply the nuanced truth. Good and (very) bad people on both sides that day.

Let me be sure I have this correctly: you're still defending Donald Trump...and I'm an idiot? To echo Felix Leiter in QoS: coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.
    The_Donald wrote: »

Why would you assault (not self defense) anyone? It might be easy to say (although still wrong)that when your opponents are heiling Hitler and bearing swastikas, but where does that attitude end? Assaulting people of political persuasions you consider extreme? Who gets to decide who are so politically unpalatable that they're deserving of being punched and in the end of course, killed? You sir are an idiot.

Trump has already condemmed the kkk, neo Nazis groups. All focus is on them perhaps understandably, but they essentially hjacked peaceful protests about the removal of history. The later Trump statement is simply the nuanced truth. Good and (very) bad people on both sides that day.

Let me be sure I have this correctly: you're still defending Donald Trump...and I'm an idiot? To echo Felix Leiter in QoS: coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Nicely done avoiding the questions in my post. You are apparently in favour of physically assaulting people whose view you abhor, but it's Trump who is the fascist right?
  • The_Donald wrote: »
    The_Donald wrote: »

Nicely done avoiding the questions in my post. You are apparently in favour of physically assaulting people whose view you abhor, but it's Trump who is the fascist right?

No, not at all. You've constructed a lovely straw man there and you're welcome to continue to admire it...but if you'll look at my own postings, you won't find a single word where I advocate assaulting anyone. I DO admit to being amused by the notion of a fictional character who was created specifically to punch Nazis in 1940 being outraged by modern notions of political correctness regarding the free speech rights of these advocates of fascism in our own country...but I suppose that's a little too meta for you to fully comprehend.

And just for the record, Trump's Monday condemnation of the far-right was clearly not an expression of his own actual views, and was essentially overturned by Trump's Tuesday "clarification" -- which so muddied the waters re: his ability to fill the President's traditional role of moral arbiter that many members of his own party are finally, at long last, done trying to excuse him. You, of course, are welcome to keep on defending the indefensible. Keep at it Donnie Boy, that hole ain't nearly as deep as it COULD be...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Damning Trump is PC, isn't it?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,564
    Darning. Damning is never PC unless you're building a Tinker's Damn. When Darning you can use the very best yarn and it's totally non-violent.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't really know where to put this but I found it funny. :))
    fiSyxEph.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Darning. Damning is never PC unless you're building a Tinker's Damn. When Darning you can use the very best yarn and it's totally non-violent.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, people said the same harmless things about knitting, until Klebb busted out those poison-tipped needles of hers. Behind the innocuous can lie the dangerous. Or the simple, to keep this on the topic of Trump.
  • Poisoned tipped needles are literary Bond. The simple stuff. Movie Bond advanced to poison-bladed shoes, upping the kink level. Which level does El Trumpo prefer? How should I know? I don't understand the guy at ALL...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Poisoned tipped needles are literary Bond. The simple stuff. Movie Bond advanced to poison-bladed shoes, upping the kink level. Which level does El Trumpo prefer? How should I know? I don't understand the guy at ALL...

To be fair, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, literary Klebb had the bladed shoes too and that's ultimately what does Bond in. As for what weapon Trump would prefer, probably a big stick to match the one he thinks he's walking with.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A big stick, which quickly converts to a cross. To give him something to
    burn. When meeting up with friends ! ;-)
  • RC7RC7

I don't see what the issue is here. My little girl wears a Batman hoodie at times. Other days she might wear a Peppa Pig dress. They don't need a girls/boys section because it's quite clear the pink dresses are likely going to be bought for girls. They're hardly putting a sign up asking boys to wear dresses are they? The reason adult clothing is delinated is because we have clearly defined body shapes as we mature thus different cuts to clothing. As a kid you can wear anything. Absolute storm in a teacup.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Kids don't need help from adults to find there way. My wife teaches 4/5 year olds. The boys run into class, straight for the trains and dinosaurs. The girls stroll in and pick up crayons and paper. The can have what they want, they almost always separate naturally.

However she had one little boy who insisted on wearing a pink dress and walked around class saying 'I'm a Printheth, I'm a Printheth'
    He's already finding his way, no influence from adults.
  • RC7RC7
    NicNac wrote: »
    Kids don't need help from adults to find there way. My wife teaches 4/5 year olds. The boys run into class, straight for the trains and dinosaurs. The girls stroll in and pick up crayons and paper. The can have what they want, they almost always separate naturally.

However she had one little boy who insisted on wearing a pink dress and walked around class saying 'I'm a Printheth, I'm a Printheth'
    He's already finding his way, no influence from adults.

Exactly.
    What I find funny with all this PC clothing issue. Is that recently a child safety booklet
    had to be withdrawn, as it showed a Muslim child in a hijab . Which we were told was
    outrageous as girls that young would never have to wear one.
    Then today there's the story of a Father wanting to send in 5 year old daughter to school
    in a hijab ! . :-D
    I wonder if the same PC warriors will campaign to have the hijab removed as it is
    Obviously a "girl" only garment.
    RC7 wrote: »

I don't see what the issue is here. My little girl wears a Batman hoodie at times. Other days she might wear a Peppa Pig dress. They don't need a girls/boys section because it's quite clear the pink dresses are likely going to be bought for girls. They're hardly putting a sign up asking boys to wear dresses are they? The reason adult clothing is delinated is because we have clearly defined body shapes as we mature thus different cuts to clothing. As a kid you can wear anything. Absolute storm in a teacup.

You're quickly on your way to a "Father of the Year" award, @RC7. Nicely done.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,600
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09202lp/ad/no-more-boys-and-girls-can-our-kids-go-gender-free-series-1-episode-1

Sorry if this link was posted before, I assume this is the core of the debate. The documentary was dumbed down far too much but pershaps it has to be considereing the thought power of some of the parents.

Bottom line is, IMHO, woman get a sh~te deal at the moment re gender roles (it is getting better) and progress is being made. Its something that we need to be more aware of and things like clothing is where it all starts.

"Kids don't need help from adults to find there way. My wife teaches 4/5 year olds. The boys run into class, straight for the trains and dinosaurs. The girls stroll in and pick up crayons and paper. The can have what they want, they almost always separate naturally."

How do we know what "natually" is when humans intervene at the earliest possible stage and stamp "boy" or girl" on them from day one? We have no "control" experiment to show waht "natually" is?

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Found this little thing here and thought this would be the most ideal thread to post it in:

:-D well done Roger !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-41337127

A "Super White Army" banner was covered up during an England football match after a picture with it in was shared online by one of the team's players.

The sign at Tranmere Rovers' ground was obscured by the FA for the Lionesses' World Cup qualifier, hours after Lucy Bronze shared the photo online.

People responding to the post suggested the banner could be seen as racist.

Tranmere Rovers Supporters' Club said it was "not remotely racist" and referred to their team's shirts.
    patb wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-41337127

A "Super White Army" banner was covered up during an England football match after a picture with it in was shared online by one of the team's players.

The sign at Tranmere Rovers' ground was obscured by the FA for the Lionesses' World Cup qualifier, hours after Lucy Bronze shared the photo online.

People responding to the post suggested the banner could be seen as racist.

Tranmere Rovers Supporters' Club said it was "not remotely racist" and referred to their team's shirts.

I saw this online earlier...definitely pathetic and just shows how anything that might offend 'minorities' has to be stopped.

Welcome to Britain,the land of the free,for immigrants and minorities.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Found this little thing here and thought this would be the most ideal thread to post it in:

Norwegian interview with Swedish subtitles.

Brilliant stuff ,thanks for that...Sir Roger knew damn well what that reporter was up to.

He looked really well in that interview,bless him.

barryt007 wrote: »

Brilliant stuff ,thanks for that...Sir Roger knew damn well what that reporter was up to.

Roger slaughtered that arrogant reporter really. Referring to Bond as antique. I wonder how Sean would have dealt with him?
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Roger slaughtered that arrogant reporter really. Referring to Bond as antique. I wonder how Sean would have dealt with him?

He would have been in hospital ,eating through a straw.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

He would have been in hospital ,eating through a straw.

Most likely.
    With all the talk lately about gender neutral advertising. I noticed an anti spot
    Teenage spot cream advert, directed at women ? How can this be OK. Don't
    Teenage boys get spots too ? Shouldn't some young chap be on talking about
    How it's ruined his life. Absolutely, blatant sexism ! Yet I don't hear any out cry
    From the usual suspects over it :-D

Mind-boggling that this idea of Bond as a woman abuser/misogynist continues, and has been a misconception for decades now. The man does everything for women, risking life and limb. He's the best damn insurance policy feminism could ever hope to have! It's inherent and insatiable in him, the need to protect and worship women.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837

Mind-boggling that this idea of Bond as a woman abuser/misogynist continues, and has been a misconception for decades now. The man does everything for women, risking life and limb. He's the best damn insurance policy feminism could ever hope to have! It's inherent and insatiable in him, the need to protect and worship women.

I might be getting the definitions mixed up but imo, while he isn't misogynist (he doesn't hate woman, he loves women) he is sexist and I don't see that as an issue at all. He's an anti hero. He's not meant to be a goody two shoes. And they've toned it down a lot over the years anyway. I think this, while a bit bitchy/overly critical of Craig's comments, is pretty spot on

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11836460/James-Bond-youre-a-sexist-but-we-love-you-for-it.html

"We love Bond precisely because he does what he wants - we live vicariously through his outrageous actions. We want Bond to be promiscuous because we’re not. We want him to drink a bottle of scotch a day because we can’t. Bond must destroy a fleet of Aston Martins each week because we’re too worried about losing our No Claims Bonus.

For James Bond is a man who will never have to suffer the indignity of Comparing The Meerkat – nor the soft furnishings section of John Lewis and a legion of other ritual humiliations the rest of endure to please our other halves.

When push comes to shove, we might not want to be James Bond, either, never mind the fact we utterly lack the physical and mental attributes to even do so."

That's why his darker attributes, the vices, the drinking and smoking, the killing, the sexism, are so important imo. Craig is right, he probably wouldn't be a very nice person to be around in real life. But he's not real. It's fantasy and I think part of the reason he's lasted so long is that having that edge to him. Every guy wishes he could get away with all that Bond does. So I think he is sexist but that's absolutely fine and it adds to the appeal of the character. I don't get angry or offended when I see Bond labelled a sexist. That's just who he is. Our heroes can have flaws.